Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 11d: Go Home, Young Man

Dawn OOC

July 9, 2007

Another day; another raiding party. The group from the Refuge was kitting up for bear again. This time, they weren't looking to punish anyone for wrongs against humanity. This time, they were hunting for a new home.

Fox had chosen several viable locations. The first that he had chosen was Hawaii. Its climate and isolation from other land masses was a benefit to them, given Fox's warping abilities. Once they cleared off the zombies, they should be stay gone.

Those who had remained at the Refuge of their free will were helping get ready for the raid. Provisions were being made ready for the establishment of a beachhead, and supplies were being collected so that they would be close to hand. Fox looked around, satisfied. The pseudo-militarization of the Refuge had worked out really well, and he was glad he'd done it. People knew their place, knew the rewards for reaching beyond their place, and most of all, they were willing to be here.

"Five minutes!" Fox bellowed, then turned to assess preparations.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan nodded and checked his supplies and stocks for this round. He was bringing the Humvee if only because it could bring a large amount of supplies for everyone going and provide them an emergency safe haven from whatever zombies they encountered.

He had a little bit of everything offensively, including his demolition equipment. He'd scrounged up the bare necessities for surveying equipment, and had several notepads and pens. He was hoping he wouldn't be fighting this time around, but he knew that likely he would.

Satisfied with his own preparations, he helped others going check their weapons, and ensure that all radios worked perfectly and were tuned to the right channels.

James had supplied himself like he was going to be away for several days. Odds weren't bad he'd run out of juice and end up camping out on a roof top somewhere overnight. He'd never been to Hawaii but he'd heard it was hot and rained a lot, so water proofing everything had been a priority.

James remarked to Dan, "If we have to swim home we'll have to find a book on sailing."

"I can help with that, if it comes down to it."

Myfwany was coming over, in khaki shorts and jacket. She had a pair of binoculars and a sun hat and looked like she was going on safari. At her side was a satchel that bulged, likely with medical supplies.

She gave a bright smile to Dan and James.

"I don't mind telling you, I have high hopes for this trip. Just do me one favor though. When we encounter zombies, leave at least one 'alive' for me to get a good look at. And, if we can swing by a hospital while we're there, I have a list of things I need." She patted her satchel.

Dan nodded. "I'm sure we can find at least one. My biggest concern is clearing things out."

He chuckles, a rare thing outside of where he called home. "You know, there's a slim chance that only the Continental states, and as such North and South America were affected. We could arrive in Hawaii, and things be almost as normal."

"I know that's really wishful thinking, but a man can dream."

"What's really funny was before Z-day I was supposed to go with my then-girlfriend to Honolulu for Vacation. Looks like I finally get the chance to go."

Walker came walking in from out of tent town and headed straight for Fox. To the almost guilt-inducing relief of everyone who saw him, he was wearing a long black trench coat that did a surprisingly good job of hiding his extra arms, and sunglasses that covered his creepy eyes (not that anyone would have known, but the shades, ironically, were a pair of Big Island style Maui Jim's that he'd picked up a year or two before the plague struck).

Across his back was an olive green Alice LC-1 field pack loosely stocked with the basics: a flashlight, some candles (and matches to go with them), a signal whistle (a useful tool to have when you can't shout), a survival blanket, some rope, his trusty backpacker's sewing kit, his even trustier multi-tool, some "90mph" duct tape, one survival knife, and a few other odds and ends. Also tied onto the Alice pack were his two combat swords. Tucked unseen into one of his pockets was a wire "commando saw" (which was just another name for a garrote, though it could in fact be used as an actual saw in a pinch).

Once he'd reached Fox, Walker regarded the man with his blank gaze and rasped out, "Ger gave me th'day off. Figured I'd come along with yer crew, if you've still got room. Haven't been to Hawaii in years."

Dan looked to Myfwany. "You can ride with me Myfwany."

He nods. "I'll make sure we hit up a hospital if there's one we can. I've still got a fair amount of room in the Humvee."

He chuckles. "As to the zombie thing, I'll try, so long as it doesn't endanger anyone else."

Kristin hustled up, captivating face hard, daring anyone to dispute her right to be there. She may be pregnant, but the only sign she was showing was that her ridged, defined abs had softened into a firm flatness. Well, and her appetite - it seemed like she was always hungry now.

She didn't want to leave the Refuge, she was really starting to settle in, and was still getting over... other things. But she was feeling antsy, she needed to be active, otherwise she would dwell on... things. She was strong and tough, she could help clear out zombs, maybe scavenge a few things too, even if she so far was still planning on going back to the Refuge.

Kristin drove up in her white F-350 Super Duty, mostly empty for scavenge, though the bed of the truck had a large amount of rope and pungy cords to tie things together and/or down. Even some chains, though they made her skin crawl. Her brothers had always said you should have rope - if you didn't have it, you'd of course need it. Next to her seat, sat her steel-hafted axe and shotgun and a small amount of supplies were stored in the cab behind her. In her pocket, was a small list of stuff to look for that Ashley had written for her.

She pulled up next to Dan. "I can help." She chewed her lip, then gave him and Myfwany a faint, forced grin. "I've never been to Hawaii."

Violet had come with Dan to the meeting still not sure if she should go with them or stay back. Most of the remaining supers were here and she somehow felt it was her duty to be there, too. Her eyes found Myfwany and she carefully approached her giving Dan a little kiss before she left.

„Hey Myf… I was wondering if you needed my assistance here… or on this mission? I’m fine with both things, honestly… just tell me what you thing is best.“, Violet’s eyes betrayed her a little. She wasn’t really feeling comfortable with staying back or maybe it was a general thing. Violet was really nervous about the entire thing of moving away. It felt like leaving home and she had grown very fond of her place. Abandoning it felt wrong but she understood it was necessary to ensure their survival.

As usual Violet’s emotional state was shaky and dependent on someone else’s decision but she was clearer in what she wanted and what not.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"I don't mind telling you, I have high hopes for this trip. Just do me one favor though. When we encounter zombies, leave at least one 'alive' for me to get a good look at. And, if we can swing by a hospital while we're there, I have a list of things I need." She patted her satchel.
James replied, "Why... oh. You're wondering if the zombies there are different from the ones here."

Originally Posted By: Dan Hawkins
He chuckles, a rare thing outside of where he called home. "You know, there's a slim chance that only the Continental states, and as such North and South America were affected. We could arrive in Hawaii, and things be almost as normal."

"I know that's really wishful thinking, but a man can dream."
James shook his head and replied, "That's a day dream. We'd have heard of a free zone by now. Strong rumor says Europe and the Middle East were hit worse."

James looked at Kristin with an expression that managed to convey lack of surprise before he tried to mute his expression to neutrality. Pregnant, and deliberately putting herself in harms way. Why am I not surprised? Good grief girl, get yourself an abortion and be done with it.

James kept his face neutral at Violet's appearance but she sensed deep disquiet from him about her presence. Pregnant, with triplets, and no combat skills. Let's just see what Dan makes of this. If I were the father... I'm not.

Dan climbs out of his humvee and shakes his head as he walks towards Violet. "You and I both know what I'm about to say." He smiles. "I don't want you going on this run. Aside from our children, I can provide other reasons. Next to Myfwany, you're best trained in medicine that we have at the Refuge, and though unlikely that they'll need you,I want you to stay here in case they do. Jules and Ger are probably going to need help as well. They need you more here, than we will I believe Violet."

He waited for her rebuttal and steeled himself for it. He didn't like leaving her here, but at the moment is' what he thought was best.

Violet gave Dan a little smile and nodded, „I… I know I just. I just feel I should at least ask… and I hate that feeling that this might be the last time I see you alive. It’s silly but… but I can’t fight it, it’s the way I feel. I hope you guys stay save, don’t do anything stupid.“, the tall voluptous unearthly beauty glanced past Dan’s shoulder and caught Kristin’s eyes.

„That counts double for you, Kristy…“, I’d preferred if she stayed back but if I ask her to she’ll change her mind… and… that would be similar to what I did to Jasmine.

Violet’s mouth was still half opened as if she wanted to add something but then she just swallowed it down, her regret reflecting in her eyes. Taking a deep breath she encouraged herself to think positive and put on her trademark smile again.

„I didn’t know Jules would stay here – I’m going to help her and Ger, of course. Promise you’ll be back - I want to hear it.“, she cast her arms around his broad shoulders granting him an exclusive look at her amazing cleavage. Her breasts were having more trouble staying contained by her robe/bodice combination. Standing there right next to him her increased height was more obvious than before, somehow her body adapted in unexpected ways to her pregnancy, she still retained her dramatic curvaceous figure although she should be showing a little more than Kristin by now.

"I'll come back home, I always do." He marveled at how she seemed to have adapted to him, he didn't know if it was consciously done or not.

He whispered softly in her ear. "I'll look after Kristen too, I know how much she means to you. I know how much she means to you."

Myfwany flicked her tongue against the back of her teeth in irritation. Did she have to do everyone's thinking for them?

"Dan's right," she said to Violet. "I need you to stay here and look after the clinic."

She looked at Kristin then with a stern expression. "And I think it's a bad idea for you to be going in your condition. I'm sure -you're- up for some excitement, but it's not just you we have to think about."

Fox looked over the preparations with some satisfaction. Since the militarization however slight, things had seemed to run much smoother and the ones who had remained seemed more content. That was to the good, but better was just how well things were going logistically. The prep for moving was taking far longer than he'd hoped, but in truth much better than he actually expected. This trip was the final step in being ready. As long as they had a beachhead some where they could always abandon the refuge leaving behind the supplies if the situation demanded it. He was honestly a little surprised that the RUS hadn't made their presence known since the RV outing, but he wasn't about to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Speaking loudly for everyone gathered to hear, "Ok everyone, we should come out inside the perimeter of Hickam Air Force Base, it's the place I'm most familiar with and a good place to start. Just in case anyone is curious why pick Hawaii and specifically Oahu, it's because the US had bases for every branch of the military there as well as the Tripler Medical Center, and the big city of Honolulu has one of the best universities in or around the Pacific including a medical training university and a college of pharmacology. Or it did when I was there last. Which brings me to my next statement. Keep sharp, we don't know what we are going into. We might show up and find desperate trigger-happy survivors holed up in the base or it might be over run with zombies or even super zombies. We just don't know which is why we are going. My guess given the restricted nature of the bases is that they won't be over-run and will be the easiest places to establish a beach head while we scout."

Seeing that everyone looked ready he finished, "Remember this isn't a supply run. We are there to determine the feasibility of establishing a home. Supplies can be gathered, but only after the main objective has been accomplished. We need to know the following:

1) Are there any surviving enclaves.

2) Where the best place to settle will be. Rome wasn't built in a day and we won't clear something the size of one of these islands in any short time, so we need a home, a place safe, secure, and comfortable as we settle. Someplace we can move out from taking ground and clearing it as we go.

3) Resources. Don't go gathering right now, but identify the locations and ease of potential recovery and mark them on your maps.

4) We need pictures. Lots of pictures of the area. Every base needs a look and determine if there are survivors. I'll be hitting those first. We also need pictures of the big city of Honolulu. There were approximately One Million inhabitants of the island, most of which would have been concentrate in the big city so that were most of the zombies will be. With good intel on the city we'll be able to plan out the best avenues of attack so to speak."

"Remember, ultimately we are looking for a home. We are looking to completely clear out the zombies so that we can live fairly normal lives and rebuild a kernal of real honest to goodness civilization. So lets stay sharp and make those evaluations so we can get on to the hard work of making it happen."

Dan nodded. Supplies would be gathered, though this wasn't a full on raid. His main focus was to Ascertain structural stability, the state of the infrastructure, and the utilities available in the area. Beyond that Killing zombies, something he excelled at, ranked high. Of course, since he'd given his word already, He would protect Myfwany and Kristen, if she still went, and try to help Myfwany find the equipment and supplies she needed.

Myfwany frowned as something tickled on the edge of her thoughts. Unease.

She made her way to Fox and waited for his speech to end, then nudged him as she came up beside him and lowered her voice.

"Fox...which 'supers' are staying behind? Between this trip and that other expedition to Washington DC, who's going to be left here?"

Fox frowned at the question. "Unfortunately, none. Unless Violet stays behind, which might not be the best idea. It's not my first choice, but both these operations are too important to delay. The security guys are here and on high alert."

Possibilities flooded Myf's mind, and she sorted them with effort that was by now unconscious.

"I'll stay behind then. Violet can stay or not as she chooses. My goals in Hawaii aren't immediately necessary, and there needs to be someone here who can hold off an attack."

She gives Fox a very serious look. "That does mean you will have to try very very hard not to get hurt or killed, because I won't be there to bring you back."

Dan frowned. "Fox, we shouldn't be splitting up like this. "First rule of Warfare."

"I advise against trying to run both missions." He looks to Myfwany. "If you want you can provide me with a list of things you'd like me to look for. I may no be able to bring it back, but I can confirm that it is there."

He wasn't happy about leaving Violet alone, and simply didn't see the need to head east at all. "I was stationed in Camp Lejune when this all started. I've no reason to believe that the whole of the eastern seaboard is any better off than it was there. There were just far too many people."

Kristin hunched her thick, shapely shoulders, a scowl twisting her pretty face. She saw the way the grown-ups looked a her, the disapproval in their eyes. She wasn't made of glass - if anything, since becoming pregnant, she'd gotten even physically tougher, her body adapting in its own way to the hormones. She certainly wasn't made of glass.

She wasn't an invalid and didn't appreciate being treated as one. She'd seen her aunt and Ashley's mother move around and be active til it was nearly time for the baby and she was way stronger and healthier than they ever were. She wouldn't hide away til after the baby was out of her and she would do her share, no one would be able to say she hadn't.

"I'm going," Kristin muttered as Myfwany left to go speak with Fox. "And I'll be careful, Violet."

Kristin looked at the impossibly built woman from under lowered lashes, unable to meet her purple eyes. Violet was noticeably taller now, her curves every bit as dramatic, pregnancy having wrought an unusual change in her. Even though she was having triplets, Violet looked less pregnant than Kristin did. The teen mother-to-be wasn't sure if she envied her that.

As the Recon-Raid got delayed, Kristin sighed in annoyance, propping a muscular arm on the door of her truck, the window rolled down, delicately pointed chin held in her hand. She wanted to go already. If others wanted to go somewhere else, that was fine, let them. All the 'Slayers' or whatever they were didn't need to move around in one large group.

Violet half expected the outcome of this conversation although she was surprised to hear the Captain say that he preferred her to come instead of staying. Violet had next to nil combat experience or skills and even though she could fend off your average Zombie given her superhuman strength she still lacked what was needed to fight effectively.

„Just make sure you guys won’t take any unnecessary risks. How long do you plan to stay away? Do you have any emergency plan B’s or whatever?“, reluctantly she stepped away from Dan giving him one last kiss but staying within earshot to hear any answers to her questions.

Quote:
Dan frowned. "Fox, we shouldn't be splitting up like this. "First rule of Warfare."
James thought, He's right... except that he's wrong too. If Fox doesn't trust the new comers, he might want them off base while we're off base.

Originally Posted By: Kristin Mackenzie
"I'm going," Kristin muttered as Myfwany left to go speak with Fox. "And I'll be careful, Violet."
James mentally translated Kristin's statement into: We're going to find out if getting bit will force me to have a miscarrage because while I'm immune to the z-virus the baby might not be.

• 2 weeks later...

Fox did his best to get everyone organized. Responding to Dan, "Yeah, I know. I don't like splitting us up either, but we're in a time crunch. But as far as intel goes, I think DC has subdued the zomb problem to a degree."

Turning to the group going after the satellite codes, "Ok you lot. Time to go." Fox opened the first warp for the DC group to head out.

Once the first group was through their warp Fox let it close and turned to the explorers and called, "Everyone lets go and remember your objectives!" He opened the warp and waited for everyone to head through.

As the red-limned rip in reality formed, Kristin jumped in surprise, muscled arms rippling as she instantly turned back to the wheel, gripping it tightly. Finally, they were doing something.

The blond-tressed teen glanced to her side, making sure her axe and shotgun were in reach, then eased the White Monster into gear, gravel crunching as the F-350 Super Duty slowly rolled through the WarpGate. Kristin's head twisted as she looked from side to side, looking for any signs of zombies or bad people - men - ready to shoot at her and her truck.

Click to reveal.. ( I spy, with jaded eyes...)

The first sight was very promising. They were on the road before Hickman Air Force Base. Fox had put them at the intersection of McClelland and Moffet. To their south, the complex of Hickman AFB was laid out; to their north, a golf course. The west had more of Hickman, while the east led to more civilian structures.

Despite the normal look of any major city, there were signs that they were in a virtual paradise. A warm breeze brought the smell of flowers and ocean to them, while there wasn't a zombie in sight. However, there were vines growing up around the buildings; nature was already reclaiming her land from the absent humans.

As the last super cleared the gate, there was something unusual. In the distance, a low throbbing noise sounded.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

OOC: This is not it exactly... all you hear is the horn. The limits of YouTube.

After being reassured that the Refuge's defenses were not dependent on supers being around...and feeling a bit foolish that she'd never bothered to check on that before...Myfwany joined the team going to Hawaii. For one, the team was inordinately dependent on Fox's survival to get back, and for another she had her own needs and agenda she hoped to move forward with.

At the sound of the horn though she looked around and mentioned, "Sounds like we've been seen."

Dan nodded as they came through and he heard the horn. "By someone that's actually Alive, one would hope."

"In the Door by your foot Myfwany is a 9mm glock, I know you're a doctor and you may or may not need it, but i'd be abit calmer if you had at least some form of back-up means of defense."

He radioed Fox. "That could be a good sign, you want to check it out, or head on to the base?"

James looked around at the 'new' world. He'd never been to Hawaii but it felt like what he'd been told. Warm. Humid. Tropical Paradise.

James original plan had been to leap to tall buildings and survey the situation, hearing what sounded like human activity right out of the box caught him off guard. James thought, Shoot. If I'd known about I'd have driven a car. Don't want to leap there, probably should hitch a ride.

James knocked on the side of the nearest truck, Kristin's, and asked, "Hey, can you give me a lift towards that noise?"

Kristin chewed her lip as she heard the noise. Honestly, she had been expecting zombies, not people. Assuming the horn meant people and not that the zombs were getting tricky, of course. That would suck. I guess we should go say 'hi' first before-

The rapping on the startled the stunning, muscular teen, a hand shooting out for the axe sitting on the passenger seat. When she who is was though, she snatched her hand back, shoulders tensing.

Originally Posted By: James
"Hey, can you give me a lift towards that noise?"

Her first instinct was to say 'no', the large man didn't even want her to come along, none of them did, so he could damn well walk. But this was supposed to be a team thing, a group effort, so she was going to relent and let him ride in the bed of the truck. Damn it, Kristy! No one's been bad to you at the Refuge, even Violet was really trying to help, you asked her to do everything she did. Stop being afraid all the time. You're stronger and tougher than almost anyone. What happens, happens, and you'll deal with it, 'kay?

"Sure, okay. Get in," Kristin offered with a weak smile. She unlocked the door then reached over and grabbed her axe and shotgun, placing the axe in the door pocket on her side and shoving the shotgun in the back, safety on.

Quote:
"Sure, okay. Get in," Kristin offered with a weak smile. She unlocked the door then reached over and grabbed her axe and shotgun, placing the axe in the door pocket on her side and shoving the shotgun in the back, safety on.
James got in saying, "Thanks for the ride. I don't like to leap towards people when I can't see where I'm going to land."

Stop right there James. You like to eat your feet and she has a chip on her shoulder.

Fox paused a moment and then nodded. "James, yeah, checking that noise out is a good idea." He looked at Kristin, then glanced at Myfwanny. "Would you like to go with them? In theory, they'll be meeting with the natives, and it might smooth things over if there were a doctor there." Left unsaid was the fact that having a woman there for Kristen might be a comfort.

"The rest of us - fan out and look for a new home," he added. "I'll be around the base, so if we have to scramble, get back here if you can. Stay on the radios, and stay safe. We have three hours before we have to contact the folks in DC. Let's make them count."

Click to reveal..
Feel free to RP some looking around. I'm looking/waiting for specifics on how and where you're searching. smile Have fun.

Fox, sorry I couldn't wait for you anymore. If you have issues with this post, let me know and we'll work something out.

"I'll go," Myfwany agreed. "My ability to sense abilities will be useful too."

She went over join James and Kristin in the truck, looking much more calm than she felt. The rising and falling alarm made her feel very much like an unwelcome intruder in a hostile land.

Kristin gave James a sidelong glance, but didn't say anything in reply to his comment, though she looked relieved when Myfwany joined them. Kristin gave the doctor a somewhat shy grin as she waited for her to settle herself in the back, then eased her foot on the gas, turning the White Monster Northish, towards the reverberating sound.

With the crunch of gravel, Kristin took the road North, following the lush, untended expanse of the golf course. She kept the truck at a steady pace, eyes scanning the landscape. It was very different than New Mexico.

Especially in one detail.

"Where are all the zombies?"

Dan nodded, and headed off for the base. He was alone again, at high alert looking for anything out of the ordinary. After some time he found what he was looking for, The barracks and power station.

Click to reveal..
Per + Awa roll

(19:21:09) ChatBot: (Dan_Hawkins) rolls 9d10 and gets 5,9,2,9,6,4,4,8,8. 4sucesses

"Fox, I'm at the power station for the base. I'm going to see what we've got here, though it's likely to only be an auxillary. If i can get it working things will likely go better for us. This place looks clear, but given the circumstances, if we're going to be here after dark, get everyone indoors."

Fox came back over the radio. "Understood Dan. Report back in. I'm headed to the armory to see what they left." Rising into the air, he went looking for the armory. Despite the flight, he kept as low as possible, so as not to be spotted.

Myf, Kritin and James drove north, further into town. They passed stores with no one in them, empty houses. Things seemed like they would continue that way until they came to the slopes of the mountain that bisected the island. There, in more traditional houses, they saw people. Without exception, they were the darker-skinned Polynesian descentants that made up the population of this island. They stared at the newcomers warily and with mistrust.

"How did you get here?" one man asked. His two small children hid behind him as he talked.

Archived