Aberrant: Dead Rising - Constitutional Considerations

Dawn OOC

"Perhaps it was a poorly worded statement, but I was in a good mood because I feel we're doing something important here. I wasn't expecting my mood to be held against me. Not any more than my race, my sexual orientation, or my gender. I thought we'd left those prejudices behind when the zombies came." It was evident that Fox was disappointed in the young woman's attitude.

"Stand on equal footing? No, we don't and the reality is we never will, not when it comes to survivability against zombies, but no law made by man can ever change that. I don't know why I'm immune to the zombies any more than why I happened to be born male, it just is. What I feel is more important is that under the law we have equal rights, that I not be automatically more valuable to the community because of my condition any more than that I should automatically be a slave to the peoples whims because of it."

He looked seriously at Innana, "I've spent my entire adult life fighting for the freedoms of others, I'm not going to stop now. I'm also not going to justify to you who I am. I am male, and I'm white, and I'm straight, it's who I am, I didn't choose any of those things, so who are you to hold them against me? I'm sorry for the terrible time you've had in life and since the Z-plague but I'm not responsible for who you are or what you've been through, those are things you'll have to take up with your creator."

It was moments like this that Fox really wondered if Darwin shouldn't be allowed to claim a few more for the sake of evolution. This woman and her attitude had completely ruined his good mood. If there was one thing he despise it was bigots.

"Well, yeah," Myfwany answered, "But a lot of supers use their powers more or less all the time, sometimes without even knowing it. James and Dan have power constantly moving in their bodies, for example...probably because of their durability or strength."

She shrugged. "That, and some abilities aren't obvious to the eye. But I figure I can develop my senses if I practice them a bit, and make them more useful. That's why I really want to study people who can hide their powers, or who have very subtle powers...to see if I can learn to see that sort of thing."

"I don't hold who and what you are against you," Inanna said, her voice still hard with anger. "But when you tell me that I can just get out of here if I don't like things, it's a slap in my face. It's condescending and insulting to me for you to act as if things are as easy for me as they are for you. They aren't. They can't be.

"My point in bringing up your race and gender and skills was to point out that you have no idea what I'm talking about when I say unequal footing." She shook her head. "You don't understand that when you say, 'If you don't like it, leave' what it means to me is 'If you don't like it, then die.' Because when I leave these walls, that's what happens. I risk disease and dying, and the humiliation of having my body used after my death by some flesh-eating monster. So maybe just going isn't the answer for all of us, like those of us who can't fly or make holes in space."

She paused and drew a deep breath, visibly controlling her anger. "I have gotten way off-topic. So I'm just going to say, thank you for clearing up your statement. I'm glad to hear that if the majority doesn't go your way, you're not going to use your powers to force things. That is all I wanted to know about you anyway."

A man James knew vaguely from the wall told him, "You're just worried about losing your women and your stuff."

James replied evenly, "It's a bad thing for the government to tell us who we can sleep with, or for it to ignore property rights."

The man replied, "Property rights? I don't own jack right now."

James replied, "And if you let the gov own everything, in 10 years you still won't own anything. Neither will your kids."

The man replied, "Don't got a woman either." He glanced at Jo significantly.

James said, "Look around. There's about 5 unattached women for every unattached man. Most aren't very willing because Hell is still fresh, but that won't be true forever either. Today is not tomorrow, we should be setting the rules for what we want to happen." Shoot. Still don't see him. There's 4 easy votes there and I need them.

Fox took a deep breath, "You are right. I apologize. What you said to me came across as wrong to me as my statement did to you. Back before the Z I was stationed in the mid-east for a while and I saw some really ugly stuff regarding prejudice against people for things they couldn't control."

"For now the important thing for you to know about me is that I won't stand for a constitution that puts anyone in a bad position unjustly. And second, if it is so bad that you can't abide it come to me and I'll do what I can to help you find a place where you can survive. I might say leave if you don't like it, but that doesn't mean I'd turn someone out to die without help. Don't get me wrong, I've exiled people, but that was because they committed crimes that threatened the safety of the community, but I wouldn't see anyone go out to die without help."

Gabrielle was taken to where the pastor was holding his own small court; despite their similar situations, neither of the two religious leaders had had a chance to actually meet yet. They exchanged the expected pleasantries, Gerald struggling not to stare at the winged beauty and Gabrielle struggling not to look as soul-weary as she felt. Eventually they were freed from the ceremonies of formal introduction and the young woman pulled the older man aside to speak, much as she had with Fox. Their coversation was similarly brief, but punctuated with fewer frowns and far more nodding of agreement.

The two parted and returned to their respective flocks; Gerald gathered his people close enough to hear him speak while Gabrielle sent runners of those that stayed close to her to gather up the others and head back towards the RV's that had been their homes for the past several days. Word slowly started sifting through the crowd: Gabrielle was leaving and anyone that wanted to go with her was invited. There wasn't a reason given, although some were already speculating, and anyone that asked was told that there would be a small meeting to discuss future plans for those that were leaving later in the evening so as not to conflict or detract from the constitutional meeting already in progress.

Nathan still stood off to one side with Dylan and a group of people that nobody else wanted to deal with. Using what he'd learned from being a foreman, Nathan tried to get everyone's attention. "Hey guys! Why don't we see who has the most good ideas for how this place should be run, and then we all cast our votes for that person? Whomever our group votes should be literate, fairly well read, and most importantly have the guts to stick up for what we send them to do; represent us."

He started asking others for their ideas, most of which had been heard througout the camp, in one form or another. It wasn't until several people had already spoken up that he added his suggestions. "I agree with pretty much what everybody has said, but I think that there should be something that talks about, basically, public works. I mean, how do you go to the bathroom here? Who here has running water? Who has electricity? Who has heat when it's cold or A/C when it's hot? Along with all the laws that say that what's mine is mine and what's yours is yours and I don't have to bow down to you and you don't have to bow down to me, along with all of this, something should be said about the quality of our life, not just our being able to keep it. Who agrees with me!?"

Nathan hadn't been intending on getting elected, but he just had too many ideas, ideas that he could help with, to be quiet. He hoped that the people in his group agreed with him, and didn't just think him some idiotic dreamer.

Click to reveal..
(Nathan): Charisma + Command (no command, defaulting to Charisma)

(12:38:59) ChatBot: (Nathan) rolls 2d10 and gets 8,2.

(12:39:02) ChatBot: (Nathan) rolls 2d10 and gets 8,9.

(12:39:07) ChatBot: (Nathan) rolls 2d10 and gets 6,5.

(12:39:09) ChatBot: (Nathan) rolls 2d10 and gets 9,10.

1sux

2sux

0sux

2sux

Morgan spent the allotted time speaking with the 50 that had gathered around him. Among them were probably his strongest supporters in the refuge which was no big surprise. He talked of his desire for the constitution to provide for absolute equality under the law for every citizen, he talked of his desire for peoples property rights to be honored, he talked of safety from outside threats both zombie and human and he talked of the need to find a safe place free from threat.

As he spoke passionately about his beliefs he could see that the people surrounding him responded favorably. Short of another super drawing away support through their 'gifts' he was pretty sure he'd have at least this group behind him. Not that he really cared if anyone followed him or not, he just had his beliefs and they were what was most important. This whole government business was starting to wear on his nerves.

All the people like Inanna and Duchess and the other ungrateful leeches were more than he had signed up for. Sure he had made mistakes and some misstatements, he was only human after all. Here he'd spent six months building up a place of safety where few existed in the world now and how was he repaid? Complaints and accusations and judgment. People who had been around for none of the hard work but were in fact rescued only a week ago from a situation they could not get out of themselves did nothing but bitch and turn their noses up at the help they'd been given. Fine. Morgan would work with those who showed some respect and appreciation and let the rest go with the religious nuts and see how they liked being told how to live their lives. If any wanted to follow him they were welcome, if none did then then that was fine too. If nothing else this little election business would show him who was worth saving.

Click to reveal..

(17:15:06) (Morgan): Making Command rolls to garner support in DR: (Cha: 3 M-Cha: 1 Commanding presence activated)

(17:15:21) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 3d10 and gets 2,1,10.

(17:15:30) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 1d10 and gets 4.

(17:15:40) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 3d10 and gets 3,8,2.

(17:15:44) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 1d10 and gets 5.

(17:15:49) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 3d10 and gets 3,8,7.

(17:15:53) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.

(17:15:56) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 3d10 and gets 8,3,7.

(17:15:59) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.

Commanding presence gives 3 auto successes to each attempt.

1) 4 successes

2) 4 successes

3) 5 successes

4) 5 successes

Add to this that he has a 3 backing among the people of the refuge.

Things quickly got into action, several groups gathered around people who were clamouring a lot, some were disturbingly quiet as if they had planned in advance what their agenda was.

Violet watched with keen interest how Gabrielle, the Girl with the Angelwings, took the Captain to the side for a private audience and then disappear after a while of discussing things back and forth. Wondering what that was about she tried to gather more details but found it impossible to get through the masses - it'd have to wait for later unfortunately.

Looking at Jill Violet quietly nodded to herself, "I guess I have to take some initiative if I want to make a difference. Wish me luck, honey.", she kissed Jill gently before she stood up walking slowly towards the Captain's group. Jill remained close in tow, of course and she hoped that Dan had an eye on her. She knew his duty would likely be focused around keeping things under control and watching out for the Captain's back and that was good.

Violet pulled the hood of her cloak back just enough to reveal her face and smiled shyly at the Captain. Much of what he said made sense to her and she actually preferred if things stayed the way they were - he and Jules were good leaders in her opinion but she guessed that sooner or later a new kind of government had to be established.

"Captain Fox... do you have a second to spare? I'd like to ask you a few questions and... and maybe I can help you and you help me in return?", her request sounded genuine but he could also tell that there was a great deal of fear that she was trying to hide.

The unearthly beauty looked to the sides as if to make sure they were more or less private. She kept her voice low wanting this to be just heard by the Captain.

"I'd like to support you, Captain. I always thought you should keep in charge but that won't be the case anymore I suppose? I'm very much concerned about my property and I'm willing to open it more up to the public, but ever since that... incident with the women from Paradise I've been getting weary of people that constantly bite the hand that feeds them. I've been trying to be nice and friendly but I guess all they see and want to believe is... I'm a whore."

She made a short break to take her breath before she continued. "I'm rearranging the 'club' and changing it into a Motel. I thought I could provide some space for the people that can't stay in the hospital anymore but still need some medical attention until they fully recovered. It's best place to be short of your HQ. I was also thinking about forming a special circle of... women if you catch my drift. I know it's going to be an issue with the local christian community and I don't want to cause any trouble but I do want to exert my right of religious freedom. It's just not going to be christian...", her eyes searched the Captain's glowing faintly with their unnatural amethyst color.

"The rumours about me are true... to some extend but I'm only looking for a way to preserve live and help and bless those who want to create live. I've found an answer in the Goddess just recently. I think the only way for our species to survive is to have babies... better sooner than later or else we'll be extinct."

This wasn't quite the speech Fox was expecting but he found some of it to echo his own thoughts.

"Don't worry Violet, it looks like the religious zealots are pulling out and after they were the ones that really pushed for this government for the people and by the people in the first place. As for me, I won't be part of any government that doesn't protect freedom of religion. I'm agnostic myself, but after what has happened, I don't see how those people can believe in their Christian god who would allow six billion people to not only die, but turn into zombies. That's pretty sick. But I keep my beliefs to myself and expect those around me to do the same. Practice what you want, just don't judge others for what they practice, that's my philosophy, and it had better be the law under any new government."

He put a comforting hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry about the club too much and don't get too attached. I have a feeling we'll be moving soon. I think an attack by the RUS is imminent. But I plan to be somewhere else when they come calling if I can't stop it from happening. If we do move, I'll make sure you get someplace nice to replace the work you've put into the club." He spake this last bit quietly enough that no one without super hearing could have heard.

Inanna nodded to Fox. "Thank you, Mr. Fox." She smiled at him, her expression genuine and true. "I appreciate all the help you've given us. And I'm sorry I blew up at you. I try not do that, but I have a temper. I'm glad we got to talk." She offered her hand, and after he shook it, she turned and went back to her people.

Gerald continued to gather up his people, passing word that their was to be a meeting, immediately. They spent the first hour of the two hours talking amongst themselves. Then they split up into small groups, leaving the constitutional convention.

"Wait?! Did you just say that the RUS will attack us? Here?", he could see fear in her eyes bordering to panic. The thought of losing this place terrified her.

"Where... where do you want to go? When do you expect them to attack? By the Goddess, I... I have to prepare...", but then she felt his hand on her shoulder somewhat soothing her agitation.

"I'm... sorry but this comes a bit sudden for me. I was too busy with making the rearrangements and I don't get much information aside from what people are willing to share at the hospital. I spent most of my time home...", the problem was she had already grown quiet attached to her place. She was ready to fight for it if the new government decided to make a move but how could she defend her home from an attack?

"What... what can I do for you in return, Captain? I trust you and thank you for allowing me the freedom you've granted me so far. I'm willing to pay it all back with my abilities for the greater good, of course. Please tell me, is there something I can do to help you?"

Fox smiled reassuringly, "Easy Violet, it's not common knowledge, and I might be wrong, there have just been a number of small signs that make me think it's likely. I'd say we have at least a few days, maybe even a few weeks. Even with their resources it can't be easy to mount a strike this far from their home territory, especially against an enclave this big."

He rubbed his chin in thought as he looked around at the gathered people in their small groups debating. "I'll have to make an announcement soon with Gabby leaving and taking the other religious folk with her. That changes things." He looked at Violet, "We'll have a meeting tonight at the HQ and talk about what can be done. I've got some ideas on where we can go and remain safe and some things we can do to prevent potential attacks in the future."

Dylan had been listening. Although he had never looked up again from the PSP he had payed attention to everything said. Now he had concerns. The past few days he had talked to people and the impression he was getting did not bode well. Turning off the game he stood up and stepped over to Nathan.

"Can I talk to you over in the trailer for a minute?"

Nathan gave Dylan a look. "What do you need? I don't think this is the best time Dylan."

Dylan looked at the group gathered and around at everyone. "This might be the only time big guy. Trust me it is important." Dylan half pulled Nathan to the trailer. Once they were inside Dylan went and sat in his chair and turned to face Nathan.

"I don't know if you have noticed big guy but this place is a powder keg. Every other thing being said is about property and the rights of 'supers' against normals. This council idea is not a fix to the problems, it is just going to be another thing for people to get mad at.

Look, most of the of the people out there are still looking for someone to blame. Someone that caused the Z virus. Someone that took away their families. Someone that could have done something and didn't. I know this might make no sense but eventually they are going to come to the conclusion the only ones to blame are the ones that now, not then, have ability. That means you, Fox, Violet, anyone with powers.

Dude, I don't know that its safe here. We have other options. We could go with Gabrielle and check out her set up. You know they have a working power plant? They have a library. They have the resources of a city. I mean I am almost out of soda here and wouldn't mind the ability to get more. Also if that doesn't work out we can check Cheyenne. We could even come back and see what has become of this place and make a decision then, assuming it hasn't imploded."

Dylan looked around at the trailer. "Listen man, you have kept us alive this long and I trust you can keep doing it. I am just worried, but I will follow your lead on this. Where you go I go. If you stay, I stay."

Nathan looked very fatherly as Dylan finished, but not in a bad way. His tone was understanding as he spoke. "Dylan, it's not that I don't agree with what you're saying, it's just that this is going to be the situation anywhere right now with a group of people this big. That is unless they already have some form of government set up.

I get it, people are upset, and everyone looks for someone else to blame. I used to be a foreman, I know; you wouldn't believe some of the excuses that people could come up with to get out of coming to work. But I have an idea.

Right now these people aren't living, they're surviving. Sure, a community this large provides some comforts, but think about it. You get this many people who are used to indoor plumbing, running water, electricity, the internet and cable, and then you force them to live Survivor style, with no hope of it ever changing, and tempers are going to run high. If we can help these people, get them some of the basics that they're used to, it'll give them, and us, hope that there might be something more than this for the future." He held his hands out and turned a little, taking in, not just the trailer, but everything around them, in with the gesture.

Nathan put his hands back down by his side and looked back at Dylan. There wasn't even a hint of reproach or condescension in his voice as he spoke. "The two of us have the skills to bring hope back into this world. How to snare a rabbit, how to find clean water, how to fend off threats; those are all important for the founding of a civilization. But now, this refuge has grown beyond that. They're trying to form a government, that means that they're ready to move beyond survivalist. They need our help to do that. Roads, houses, sewers, power... none of these are essential to the survival of the body, but they're invaluable to the survival of the spirit."

Nathan let that sink in a little and then, very lightheartedly added, "Besides, if things get too dicey I'll just go dragon and get us the hell out of Dodge." He flashed a big, toothy grin as he started to turn towards the door. He was waiting for Dylan's response before he actually made his way out.

"Well you better get back out there then. If you need anything I will be in here working on the generator. But I want to get to cheyenne soon. I need those codes."

Spinning the chair around he rolled it to the generator and picked up his tools. He seemed done with the conversation.

James walked over to Helen and Jan and in a low voice asked, "Where's that guy with three wives? I haven't seen him since the prison and four votes is a lot."

Helen replied, "He's dead. Dan executed him after his trial."

Startled, James said, "I only remember his wives testifying for him, I must have missed the rest. Executed? I thought he was one of the two survivors. We have the guy with the baby..."

Helen said, "And Simon. You knew that."

James shook his head and replied, "Somehow I'd figured Simon didn't count. OK, never mind."

James went back to shaking hands, and asking/answering questions. He was making headway but he wasn't sure whether it'd be enough.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox

He rubbed his chin in thought as he looked around at the gathered people in their small groups debating. "I'll have to make an announcement soon with Gabby leaving and taking the other religious folk with her. That changes things." He looked at Violet, "We'll have a meeting tonight at the HQ and talk about what can be done. I've got some ideas on where we can go and remain safe and some things we can do to prevent potential attacks in the future."

"The Reverend is leaving, too?", Violet was surprised by this turn of events. She knew her way of living wasn't much welcomed around the religious people but she had tried to stay out of their way as much as possible. She even ditched the idea of running a strip club to apeace the community... and now they were leaving. It's not because of me, she wouldn't take that blame, not without protest.

"If you want me to be there I'd feel honoured to partake, Captain.", Violet smiled at the Captain and pulled the hood back deep into her face. He was a busy man and she already took too much of his time. Taking Jill's hand she carefully retreated and walked back to her spot pausing briefly near James' group... and then stopped as her eyes found his. Like a reindeer caught in the headlights of a speeding car she froze in motion holding her breath unable to say something or move.

"Common.", Jill urged her very well knowing that standing around like this wasn't a good idea. With some effort she managed to 'steer' Violet through the crowd and back to their seats.

"What's going on with you?", she asked her lover trying to find her eyes, but Violet had a hundred miles stare looking straight through Jill. Her question remained unanswered.

Fox looked to the Marine before he walked away, he was a solid man, dependable, Morgan was very glad to have him staying. "Yeah, tonight there will be a meeting, supers and security mostly. We need to get organized quickly and find a safe place. Now that we don't have to worry about the religious folks we should find a more defensible location, one that we can secure from zombies and living alike."

"Dan!", upon hearing his voice she snapped out of her reverie, eyes refocusing on him and her smile brightening up. She thrust her arms around his neck and pulled him close for a kiss feeling much better now that he was close.

"I'm really scared, Dan. All this scares me and the Captain just revealed to me that he's expecting some kind of attack by the RUS. Maybe we don't deserve to survive as a species, Dan? Even now that we're on the brink of being extinct our worst enemy is ourselves... humankind. Have you heard about the religious folks? They're leaving and I bet it's because of tolerance issues. How fucked up can it get? I'm sick of it... sick of this hypocrisy. I'm done helping without being paid for it. No more welfare but what am I worrying about? All this will be gone soon... my children may never see a living day...", there were tears in her eyes but she didn't weep or cry.

"I don't want to die..."

"You won't. Not so long as I can protect you." He kissed her lightly and smiled. "Morgan has plans, and so do I. We aren't defenseless here, and we have other options."

He reached down to pat her stomach softly. "Never give up on tomorrow. We have to keep looking ahead."

He sighed. "Gabrielle and Hayes, and Gerald and his people is blow, but not one we can't recover from. I won't hazard a guess as to why they're leaving, it isn't my place. They aren't the only ones leaving though."

He wrapped an arm around her. "We'll be okay. All of us. We won't just survive, we'll live."

Violet leaned into him and closed her eyes. She wanted to believe him, she wanted his words to be true but right now she was lacking the faith. She wrapped her arms around him and held him tight, her head pressed against his broad chest listening to the beating of his strong heart.

The constant beating was soothing - it's reliable rhythm was like a promise. It would always go on beating no matter what hazard it had to endure. Violet smiled relinquishing some tears which she dearly held hostage. She didn't want to cry but right now it gave her peace and a sense of serenity. He'd protect her and she'd be faithful to him.

Never give up on tomorrow...

Nathan tried to smile at Dylan as he turned around, but he couldn't figure out if he was mad at him or not. So he simply said, "We'll get there. Don't worry." And then he walked back out to the significantly smaller crowd.

Once back out of the trailer, he went back to Dylan and his group of 50 and asked around to find out where everyone else had gone to. Once he found out, he went back to gathering and collecting ideas from the group.

Dylan was right though, there was more going on here than meets the eye. He just hoped that this wasn't the end of this community and that he and Dylan would have to leave... though, with his insistence to get to Cheyenne, maybe it was for the better.

Fox knew it was time to act. Now that the Hayes enclave folks and Gerald's people were no longer in the crowd it was time to reel this thing back in. There still needed to be a constitution and a government, but it needed to happen in a safer place and it needed to be strong so that the RUS wouldn't be able to just run over the people here.

He started making his way through the crown and to the various groups to gather in his supporters and let them know that he was going to make an announcement. He made sure to hit all the supers and his security guys, Ger and Markham, and all the normals that usually were his staunchest allies. It took some time but the crowd didn't look like it was going anywhere any time soon. He would give them a few more minutes to talk with their groups then he would address the crowd. He didn't have any illusions, some folks would leave and go with the Hayes enclave, but that was fine.

People were mingling and talking; everytime Fox wandered close to a group, he caught snippets of discussion and political maneuvering. They just started and it was already devolving into the old-school bullshit.

Still, he reasoned, it was what they knew. It was still very sad to him, to see that people weren't improving when they had a chance to do so.

When enough time had passed to be sure the Hayes group and Gerald's congregations weren't coming back, Fox rose into the air again and called for the crowd's attention. What he was about to say would be welcomed by some and rejected by others but that was as it should be. One of the most important things he'd fought for his entire life was the right for people to live their lives as they chose, it was what had made him leave home and join the military in the first place. Perhaps that was a bit ironic given how his father had treated Morgan and Dan, but it was something that he'd never questioned, and it was the core of what America stood for.

Despite the freedoms, what Morgan was about to do wasn't going to be easy so he made sure to kick in all of his 'super' fueled charm and leadership abilities before he spoke.

"My friends, you might have noticed that a number of people have left the gathering and decided not to participate with us in forming a new government. Those from the Hayes enclave and Reverend Gerald's congregations have chosen to depart and make a separate society. They are our friends and allies and will remain so, but if any wish to leave and join them please do so with no hard feelings. I understand there aren't many choices out there of safe places to live, but at the Refuge no one has ever been held her against their will. You were, are and always will be free to leave and move to another enclave." He could see consternation on the faces of some in the crowd at news that the other folks wouldn't be rejoining the meeting, and not too surprisingly, relief on the faces of a few.

"I was also reminded a few minutes ago in a conversation that some of the folks we just rescued from New Mexico are only here to see the trial and don't intend to settle with us. I'd like to make it clear that all of you are welcomed to stay and be part of our community, but if there are any of you who have no intention of remaining with us, I would ask you to leave the meeting now. This meeting is specifically to form a government for our future and it should only be influenced by those who intend to participate. I don't ask that you leave the refuge, as I said you are welcome to remain as guests through the end of the trial, but please separate from this meeting and move off to the side. You are welcome to stay and listen however, but please stand apart so that the groups that elect representatives don't have their numbers messed up by those who don't plan to stay. Thank you." There was some grumbling at that, but Fox didn't care, if they weren't going to stay then they had no right to a voice in the new society. He could see hesitation in some, but a decent sized group did move apart. Fox hated that, every human was precious to the community, but he'd rather only take with him those committed to the group.

As the group moved aside he did speak to them, "When the trial is over I will use my ability to open gateway to send you wherever you want to go. You won't be sent out into the world unarmed to face the zombies, you can join the Hayes folks or go anywhere else you want and I'll send you directly there."

Turning back to the assembly, "Now, many of you know me well and know I've done my best to make a safe place for anyone in need. This place, the whole refuge was basically my home when all this began. I was stationed here as commander of this base when the Z hit. I fortified and secured it and stockpiled supplies and goods not knowing if anyone survived besides myself. I ventured out and found Ger and Markham, men that I had served int he Special Forces with. In that trip I was cornered by Zombies and had to face a choice of being overwhelmed and jumping off the roof of a seven story building to my death. Much to my surprise I didn't die. Most of those we call 'supers' came to their abilities in similar ways. We didn't ask to be this way, we don't know what it is about our genetics that make us different. We also don't know what caused the Z, but we are going to work to find out, and see if there is anything that can be done about it. The Roff enclave just to our north was working on it and was wiped out by the RUS. We don't know the details, but you can ask Walker if you have any doubts, he was one of only three survivors."

Morgan did his best to be reassuring as he continued, "You all have known about this since it was discovered, but what you may not have known is that just this week we went out to try and gather better temporary housing for everyone. We were going to get RV's and Campers and Trailers from the HolidayLand in Dallas, but when we arrived every single one was destroyed, not only at one, but at both facilities. It was deliberately done and obviously aimed at us, we are the only enclave close enough to have made use of them. So what I propose is that we relocate. Find not only a safe place from the RUS, but someplace more comfortable where everyone can have good housing instead of tents. Someplace with facilities that will allow our doctor to research the Z to try and find out how to counter it. Someplace with a university library. But most of all someplace we can secure against zombies and keep them out, but still have plenty of room to expand." There was doubt and fear in some faces but there was relief and hope in others.

Now he did his best to project confidence and leadership, "As for a new government... Let me share with you all what I believe is important. First and foremost we must be secure from threats, both zombie, nature, and human alike. Partly this will be accomplished by moving, but even so we need security. The Swiss had a novel form of government that I would like you all to consider. They were a democracy, but they managed to remain intact through the world wars despite being next door to Germany. There, every citizen goes through a period of basic military training and service to the government. They had very low crime even at the worst of times because no one ever had to wonder if a home owner was armed, they all were and they knew how to use them. They didn't spend their lives working for the government, but in times of emergency every citizen could be called up. I think that is the kind of system we need now. All for one and one for all." There, that probably alienated a few.

"Secondly, I believe that everyone should be equal under the law, and I mean everyone, that includes 'supers', and even myself. No one has rights that another does not. To do it any differently is to make some people second class citizens and that sort of thing is doomed to failure." That got a lot of approving nods.

"Along with that I also believe in property rights. If you make a thing it is yours and no one has a right to take it from you. Don't get me wrong, if there's an emergency you might need to share, but you should feel secure that once you do have a home, it will remain yours and the government can't just come along and tell you, that someone else has a right to what is yours. You've all been with me a long time and other than not allowing you to carry guns inside the refuge for safety reasons you know that what you arrived with or collected is yours and not to be taken away, and I've tried to settle people in housing on a first come first served basis. Right now things look bleak with most everyone still in tents and having little more than the clothes on your backs. That will change soon, and I mean very soon as we move to a better location. Once we are there and settled, you won't have to fear that someone will take away what you get." This one wasn't going down so well and it was because the supers had more than everyone else, most of them anyway.

"I'm sure you are thinking that well of course Fox would say that, the supers can get anything they want." He nodded gravely, "For the most part that's true. Of course I've been sharing what I've gathered with you all for the last three months and making supply runs for the benefit of the community rather than for myself as everyone here knows. What I want you all to realize is that my plan is to find a place where we can clear out all the zombies from an area and as we do everyone with us will be allowed to claim whatever they wish from the area and then that entire area will be kept clean of the zombies. I cannot and will not abide the socialist ideas that things should be taken away from those who put in the hard work and risk to earn them, but I do believe that everyone should have the opportunity to get their own things. That doesn't mean that I am going to send you and your children out into zombie filled streets to clear them and go 'gathering'. We will do this together in an organized way, and we'll do it methodically and folks like myself who are able and trained will take point. But most importantly, what we find will be split equally among everyone who participates whether you are in the rear just bringing me ammo or myself on the front lines." There was doubt and even a little anger as he spoke of the supers having more than others, but toward the end there were a lot of people nodding no doubt imagining themselves getting all the new things they were being promised.

"Last and possibly the least popular thing I want to say... I don't believe in entitlement. If you sit on your ass and expect others to provide for you without contributing your fair share and have the attitude that you 'deserve' it; you will very quickly land on your ass in some other community. In a world where only .0001% of the population survives, there is no place for welfare. Everyone will find some useful way to do their part for our society and there will be no preference given to people. Everyone will do their part. As I said before, our motto will be All for One and One for All."

He had left a lot unsaid that he really would like to have added, but this was the foundation. If people agreed with these points they would come with him, if they didn't they were welcome to pick another group to join.

"Expect to relocate within a month if you choose to go with us. For the moment we will hold off on calling for elections of delegates to give everyone time to decide if they want to join us or not. Thank you." He wanted to shoot for two weeks and even that was giving the RUS too much time to attack, but perhaps if he said a month, then whoever the spies were would report that and it would slow the coming attack long enough for everyone to be gone.

Dan nodded once, and sighed. "There it is." He looked to Violet. "All that work, and we move in a month." He smiled and looked to Alicia, Lorraine, and Jill as well. "At least we'll all go together."

Dan waited for Morgan to return to ground, knowing that Where they moved would have to be discussed. He also knew it would mean more time away for him, as he would be key to laying the groundwork wherever the went.

Jasmine glanced at Bond after Morgan had finished his speech, a thoughtful expression on her face.

"Well, that's an interesting development. Shame about all the work they've put into the place. Do you want to speak with Fox or Jules tomorrow morning before we leave, to find out if they have any idea where they're going to relocate to, or should I while I'm saying goodbye to people? Assuming it's somewhere still on this continent, we'll want to know so we can keep up trade relations - and if they haven't decided yet maybe we can figure out some way for them to let us know without leaving any info behind directing the RUS their way."

Fox had weighed in... and James mostly liked what Fox'd said. I'll miss Gerard but life would be easier without the religious right around to oppose me. Ducking out like this means they don't get to help write the Constitution. Bit annoying to lose the house before it's finished... no. Slack off on construction and do more raiding.

James glanced at his ladies and thought, When there's fewer people around I'll mention we have a safe house 10 miles away. I could load up a dozen or so people in the SUV and leap away with it with no problem.

Someone in James group muttered something doom-and-gloomy about RUS and James replied, "We already got heavy weapons to repel such an attack. Further, with a few hours notice Fox could move everyone thousands of miles away. I go through the gate first to deal with any zoms on the other side and in a few days we're back where we started."

Archived