Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 10e: Chaos

Dawn OOC

[i'm moving all of you from 10a and 10d into one chapter. Fox, feel free to continue your discussion with Myf and the angry woman over there. Everyone, this is now a free-for-all. Enjoy. laugh ]

The warp opened and people started coming through to the Refuge. It was as bad as had been feared; there were some badly wounded women, and some who were clearly afraid of everything and everyone. As the volunteers began to help them out, Dr. Singh was among them, trying to make order of the chaos and get people into the quarantine. But as more and more people stepped through the gate, it became very clear that there wasn't enough room for anything resembling a quarantine. There wasn't an area large enough anywhere in the Refuge. Nervously, Singh concluded that there was no choice; there could be no separation between the Refuge and the new refugees.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Violet wasn't quite prepared to get back "home" again. She had just "moved out" to give James and JoAnna a bit time for themselves and wait until the emotions have settled down. Obviously the situation had changed now and they all had to pull themselves together for a while.

The building had a large burlesque style "drawing" outside that labelled it "Violet's". A large metal door blocked the entrance but Violet opened it with ease guiding her guests inside.

The interior was overwhelming at first sight. To the left was a large stage with two catwalks that reached far into the room. There were lots of tables carefully arranged around the catwalks and a large dancing pole grazed the centre stage. Large velvet tapestries hung from the sides lending the room a warm aura and comfortable mood. Opposite the centre stage was a large Bar that seemed to be made of a large piece of black granite.

There was a second bar placed on the far side of the building with a jukebox right next to it - all in all the place looked like a first grade luxury exotic dancing club.

"Welcome to my little shag.", Violet cheered bowing gracefully at her guests revealing even more cleavage than ever making her oversized breasts almost pop out of her bodice.

Out in the Refuge the Hummvee with the plates reading 1K FALCON was parked up by a large two-car garage which had been converted to a secure storehouse. Two figures in combat BDU armor, one sitting on the hood, the other leaning against it, were cleaning firearms after their recent use. Jasmine was paying close attention to the steps and care involved, committing them to memory as Bond demonstrated. Bond's attention, however, was on the growing knots of people swirling through the warp like a tide of dirty, scared water.

"There's too many." he noted calmly, glancing over at Jasmine. "We're going to need to take a trip soon, collect some more supplies." His lips quirked in a wry smile. "A lot more supplies. Not that any of these people will be able to pay for them. But Fox will. And these are his people now." He paused and watched as Jasmine reassembled the action of her assault weapon and nodded approvingly before hopping down from the hood and shouldering his own shotgun.

"We'd better do our bit. Myfwany is going to need all the help she can get." He grinned at Jasmine. "There's about a ton of med supplies stashed under the other crates in the 'shed' there that I've told no-one about. Do me a favor and find either of our erstwhile doctors?" He handed Jasmine the keys. "Tell them to get five to ten strong backs over here. We're donating all our medical supplies except for what's kept in the Falcon for emergencies." He looked out across the Refuge, frowned distractedly, then gave Jasmine a kiss on the cheek, winked, and sauntered off.

"You there, yes she just has cuts and bruises so unless she says she has other pain send her to the first aid area." With a reassuring smile Abraham turned and spotted someone trying to help a wounded person along. He quickly got the other side and helped get her to where her wounds could be treated. It was his opinion that a priest had to be able to help in any situation. People did not always need to hear of god so a priest should have other skills as well. As soon as the wounded woman was situated he moved on to helping the next. Bandaging a cut, giving directions, calling for a doctor, he felt fortunate that he did not need to sleep anymore.

Led inside of "Violet's" alongside Kirstin and her cousin, Hana looked around in disbelief. When Violet took her bow, Hana's stare fixed on the impossible profundity of her host's cleavage, on the corset that struggled to contain those enormous jiggling breasts. The pole mounted on the stage drew Hana's attention next. She looked from Violet to the pole and from the pole to Violet.

A muted blush burned itself onto Hana's face as she padded over to the jukebox and stood before it. Her finger trailed down the list of songs. The names of artists. Those musicians still living had been silenced forever by Z-day. And now they were here. In this place. It seemed impossible. Hana's finger hovered over 'Magic Carpet Ride.'

How can any of this be real? Hana wondered. When would she get to blink her eyes and suddenly wake up. In her bed at home. In the back seat of the car. In a hospital with her parents looking over her--"I'm okay" Hana would say. Anyplace but here in this strange broken world.

She glanced over her shoulder at Violet. "Does this still work?"

Kristin watched the rip in space nervously as the Hummvee passed through it, holding Ashley's hand tightly in the back seat. When the zombies had caught her, bitten her, and then her muscles grew larger, harder, so much more powerful, she had thought she was special, a Slayer, just like Buffy - the only other person she had heard of who might have been like her was Jules. But now, she was finding out there were men with powers too, and some of them were even stronger than she was or could do impossible things. It made her worried that one of them might decide he wanted to be her new Master.

Dan and Violet mentioned something about a quarantine, and Kristin felt a rising panic, her breath coming in gasps, as she pictured being locked into a small clear room, no way out and people staring at her. Her hand tightened on her axe and she was right about to throw open the door of the Hummvee to flee, when she saw what was on the other side of the Warp.

It looked like the unholy union of a military base and a refugee camp, with a chaotic mass of people everywhere, and Kristin was suddenly glad to be inside the Hummvee. The thought of all those people pressing close, touching her, gave her the shivers and sudden sweat beaded on her brow, as she suppressed a whimper.

Kristin forgot about the people and her anxiety with a puzzled blink when Dan stopped the Hummvee outside a building that really didn't seem to belong. With Dan assuring her that he would secure her and Ashley's supplies, Kristin only paused to sling a couple of bags of their remaining food and necessities over her shoulders before following Violet, the persuasive and vivacious exaggeration of a woman enthusiastically guiding them to her home.

Kristin stalked inside, glancing around in awe and a growing suspicion. Nothing looked damaged or dirty - it looked new. It looked like something she saw on the Sopranos.

Originally Posted By: Violet
"Welcome to my little shag."

"You live in a strip club?" Kristin exclaimed, slightly goggle-eyed at the display of such cavernous cleavage. Each one is bigger'n my head! How does she even see her feet to put shoes on?. Anything else she may have thought about Violet's proportions flew right out of her head as she pulled her eyes away and glanced over their auburn-tressed hostess, gaze riveted on the strip pole.

Master had forced to her to dance, those were some of the few times they actually gave her clothes to wear, only so she could take them off. Sometimes they would use bullets, sometimes whips, sometimes... other things. Once, a gang of his men had come back from a scavenging run laughing, with a pair of women - sort of built like poor, fakier versions of Violet - and a long brass pole.

They had set it up in the main concourse of the cell block where most of the women were held. Then they forced the women to dance with it. Master and two of his favourites sat watching like judges. Those that they thought did well, or who they just liked, got extra food. Those who performed badly, or just for fun, got the 'buzzer'.

When they had set up the pole, Master thought it would be funny to electrify it. Kristin remembered the smell of sizzling flesh and burning hair, others... and her own. Master had made her use the Pole again and again and again and...

The sight of the strip pole in Violet's filled the unawarely gorgeous teen to overflowing with apprehension and fear, bile rising up her gorge. What if Violet is trying to trick me, wanting to be my Master? Master had smiled too, at first, and Violet smiles much better than he does. That big steel door... This is a trap!

Ducking her head, trying to hide the panicked expression on her face, Kristin slowly shifted back to the door, pulling Ashley insistently along with her. She eyes shifted rapidly beneath her lowered brow, looking for anybody trying to sneak up on her, and she raised her axe subtly, grip firm, ready to strike if they did.

She was about to whisper to Hana to stand behind her, when the younger girl padded across to the other side of the room. No, no, no! It's a trap!

Rage and terror rushing along her veins like searing ice, frozen fire, Kristin pulled Ashley behind her, then took a step forward, raising her axe in both hands, the dull, red head weaving with her trembling hands.

"We are NOT dancing with the pole! EVER!" Kristin cried, her eyes blazing, glassy orbs of verdant green, her face drained to a deathly pallor.

Simon moved in front of her. "Kristin," he said, his voice impossibly calm for a man facing a super-woman holding an axe over her head, "no one will make you do anything like that again. You don't have to stay here if you're not comfortable here. And you're scaring Ashley." A glance at her cousin confirmed the truth of that statement.

His blue eyes met hers. "If Violet makes you dance, then take the axe to her. If anyone makes you do anything, take the axe to them like the animals they are." His face was grim as he added, "I'll help you do it. You have my word."

Kristin quivered with taut tension, each deep, savage breath straining her shirt across her broad shoulders and firm, prominent breasts. Only Simon's utterly calm honesty prevented Kristin from lashing out at him - any sign of lust or anger would have just poured gasoline on the flames of her fearful fury. A glance at her cousin, seeing the anxious horror painted on her face, comletely undid her.

The axe fell from nerveless fingers, and Kristin collapsed to the floor in tears, knees pulled up to her chest and arms wrapped tight around her legs. The sound of shredding denim blended into her distressed sobbing, as her muscular thighs bulged against her tight, frayed jeans.

"I'm - I'm so - sorry, Ash," Kristin sniffled, "I saw the - the pole and I could see ev - everything like before, smell it, where my skin..." The damaged girl trailed off into soft weeping, pressing her forehead against her knees and began to rock back and forth.

"They - They, Master, all the men in Paradise, Ash, they were monsters and... and I'm afraid... they made me into one, too," Kristin whispered, her voice muffled and terrified.

Fox stayed visible to the people by remaining in the center of the compound helping direct movements and answer questions. "Yes, they will be staying, most of them. Some are here only for the trial." "No they won't be waiting in quarantine." "Yes, they will be examined by the doctors within 24 hours." "No, food won't be a problem, we'll provide for everyone as needed." "No we don't have room for everyone, but we'll make room." "We've got contingency plans to handle the extra people."

The time went on and on through the morning and into the afternoon.

Ashley dropped to the ground next to her, hugging her. "Kristin, no! They hurt you, and you're scared! That's all. You're not a monster. Otherwise you'd be trying to hurt people. You're just..." She looked up at Simon.

"Traumatized." Simon knelt and picked up the axe, turning it over in his hands. "What you're feeling is normal for this situation, Kristin. You're normal. This is part of how you'll heal, in time." His voice was soft and soothing.

James walked into Violet's leading and talking with Helen and Jan.

James said, "Yes, JoAnna should be around here I'd think. We weren't exactly sure when we were getting back."

James noticed the others and paused. Violet.

Right. And others, including an upset Kristin and an axe.

James asked evenly, "What's going on?" See? You can too be civil with Violet around.

Dan found the six supply trucks that had come through the gate and sighed.

He walked up to the lead three. "Gentlemen, there are women electing to stay at the Prison for now, Fox's orders are to return some of the supplies back to them."

He raised his hands to forestall any resistantce. "Yeah we picked up alot of new people today, but we Can go get more, they're going to have a hell of a harder time at that. So let's get moving and haul this stuff back."

"But.."

"We aren't giving it all back, just enough so that those who are staying can make a fair go of it for awhile. We have needs here too, especially now."

He led the trucks back in the air, the spectacle of him in flight barely enough to get a path cleared to the gate.

Secretly wondering how long he could keep the gate open, he led the three trucks back through and over to the main building. "Ok guys, let's unload and go home."

Thanking God things were still wrapped, the mighty marine began lifting entire pallets of supplies and carrying them inside, setting them down in the larges open area he could find.

When he finished he sent the trucks back through the warp and went to find the woman who'd mentioned staying.

Finally finding her, he nodded.

"We brought back a fair amount of supplies,I put them in the main area inside the prison. In the next week or so, I'll come back and do what I can to provide you all with driveable vehicles and check the guard's weaponry. You women deserve the right to a fresh start, I'll do what I can to help."

Hana had whirled around at Kristin's shout. She stood quietly frozen in place as Kristin screamed, raged, and then fell sobbing to the ground. She watched as Simon intervened and then as Ashley went to the thickly muscled girl. Hana said nothing. She hardly even dared to breathe. She had seen the crazed look in Kristin's eyes...a look she had learned to recognize. An animal look. Raw and angry and wild.

Hana's finger dropped away from the song selection screen. She folded her hands back into her hoodie and drifted toward the wall until she found her back pressed to it. She glanced again at the pole. A stripper pole. Was that what Violet was, a stripper? Hana looked again at the woman who had offered her food and shelter. So what. Hana decided. That didn't change anything. She still needed food. She still needed a place to sleep. Violet was going to give her those things and she hadn't even been asked to give anything back.

And then James had stepped into the room with two other women. The place was getting crowded already.

"Hey...um." Hana spoke quietly, eyes fixed on Kirstin and Ashley. "I'm really tired." she said as calmly as if nothing had happened, as if she'd been discussing the weather. The only indication of Hana's fear and anxiety would've been her trembling hands, the way she held her palm over the butt of her father's heavy revolver where it poked from her waistband...but that was hidden by her dirty zip-up hoodie. Hana finally tore her eyes away from the two cousins, glanced at Violet, "Is it okay if I go to bed? Are the rooms upstairs?"

Hana didn't feel the least bit tired. Her heart was racing again. Her blood was buzzing. She spared a glance at James, managed a little shrug in answer to his question, then turned back to Violet.

Originally Posted By: Atomicweasel

How can any of this be real? Hana wondered. When would she get to blink her eyes and suddenly wake up. In her bed at home. In the back seat of the car. In a hospital with her parents looking over her--"I'm okay" Hana would say. Anyplace but here in this strange broken world.

She glanced over her shoulder at Violet. "Does this still work?"

"Of course it does.", Violet answered with a bright smile on her face watching the young teenager take in the building with her god given innocence. Under different circumstances this wouldn't be a place I'd like my children to be around but... it only looks like the real thing - it has never been used...

Violet was about to do some more explaining when she was hit by an emotional assault quickly followed by a nervous breakdown. She turned around again to face Kristin...

Originally Posted By: Kristin Mackenzie

She was about to whisper to Hana to stand behind her, when the younger girl padded across to the other side of the room. No, no, no! It's a trap!

Rage and terror rushing along her veins like searing ice, frozen fire, Kristin pulled Ashley behind her, then took a step forward, raising her axe in both hands, the dull, red head weaving with her trembling hands.

"We are NOT dancing with the pole! EVER!" Kristin cried, her eyes blazing, glassy orbs of verdant green, her face drained to a deathly pallor.

... and shook her head trying to apeace her and the others. "No... oh by the goddess no, I'd never...", but her words got cut off by Kristin's crying and sobbing. The young woman with the perfectly muscled body collapsed to the floor and cried, traumatized by what she saw and what had been done to her.

"I'm so sorry...", the buxom seductress whispered as she closed in to the young woman kneeling next to her and her cousin.

"I promise no one is going to do you any harm here.", Violet explained as she tried to be as soothing and compassionate as humanly possible.

Click to reveal..

Just as things were cooling down a bit James entered the building. Oh please... don't

There was a look of worry on Violet's face and her eyes instantly searched for James' while her mouth formed the words "Please..."

She hadn't planned anything of this - she just wanted to offer some shelter and help to those who she cared about. The come to live dream of a sexbomb slowly arose facing James as she squared her shoulders.

"Just for a few nights until things have settled down a bit, ok?", in fact this was still her place but she knew they had some interim "arrangement" while things were still fresh and healing.

Originally Posted By: Atomicweasel

And then James had stepped into the room with two other women. The place was getting crowded already.

"Hey...um." Hana spoke quietly, eyes fixed on Kirstin and Ashley. "I'm really tired." she said as calmly as if nothing had happened, as if she'd been discussing the weather. The only indication of Hana's fear and anxiety would've been her trembling hands, the way she held her palm over the butt of her father's heavy revolver where it poked from her waistband...but that was hidden by her dirty zip-up hoodie. Hana finally tore her eyes away from the two cousins, glanced at Violet, "Is it okay if I go to bed? Are the rooms upstairs?"

Without turning back to face the young teenager Violet spoke quietly, "Of course, Hana... just give me a few minutes to sort out who stays in which room. You'll all get your own beds and something to eat, just as I promised... and you may use the showers upstairs. This is one of the few places that has warm water supply... but don't waste too much, ok?", Violet's eyes never left James' and from the corner or her eyes she watched Kristin, Simon and her cousin. Please don't let this blow up in my face... please...

Gabrielle watched the flood of people coming through the hole in the world that Fox had made and for a moment the winged teen was completely overwhelmed. The she started seeing the women: the pain and fear on their faces, the blue and black and red of old and new wounds. The stretchers with those that couldn't walk or even do much more than weep and wonder where they were being taken now.

She moved, and her enclave moved with her. Caring hands reached out for the women, offering hot food, water, blankets, clothing. Anything they needed. After a few of the men were yelled at or even attacked by the former prisoners, St. Magdalen's congregation made a curious change of roles. Men began stepping back, taking up positions as runners, messengers, and arragers; they let their wives and sisters take the lead in healing and making human contact with women from the prison. Most of all, the men struggled to keep their horror and tempers at what had been done to these people in check. There was chaos enough without adding to it.

Gabrielle moved to the most wounded first, her wings earning her mostly looks of amazement but occasionally an outburst of rage at a God that would let someplace like Paradise exist. If those women's hatred fazed her, she didn't show. And as always, Caleb was close beside her, ensuring that words did not become blows and clearing enough space for Gabrielle and her wings to make it through the press of refugees.

She healed, and healed, and healed; pushing herself to the point of exhaustion and beyond. Cuts and bruises and burns and scars all melted away under the warm heat of her hands, leaving dazed but grateful women in her wake. While she was with them they were calm and comforted, but she couldn't shelter them from their memories or the truth of the world once she had moved on. Caleb set his jaw as they kept moving, trying to ignore the sounds of heartrenching sobbing, of broken lives. For now, all they could do was heal bodies. Hearts, minds, and souls took much longer to recover and some never did.

It was nearly noon when Gabrielle pulled herself up from kneeling next to a makeshift cot with a woman who had been scarred across her entire back with crudely cut pornography; the infections that had set in had nearly killed her and would have had the rescuers from the Refuge waited much longer. The scar were still there, healing that entirely was going to take several days at least, but the infections were gone. Gabrielle stumbled away from the cot, but before she could seek out the next patient the angel collapsed to the ground, finally succumbing to exhaustion.

James locked eyes with Violet and she mouthed the word 'please'.

Please stay. Please go. Please reverse time and redo things the way they should have been. The place in his soul where Violet used to be was an open wound.

James closed his eyes and inhaled to clear his head. He immediately noticed Violet's musky smell. She hasn't... She hasn't had sex recently. If the two of you were alone... Stop that. Get that thought out of your head. The past is what the past is, wishful thinking won't...

You don't want her back. You don't. You can't go through this again. There will come a time when you have to say that to her face... but not today.

James opened his eyes again and deliberately looked at something, anything other than Violet.

With the woman's acknowledgement Dan turned and left going back through the warp. The Throng of people was massive, and yet this time he was able to make his way through without flying.

He saw Gabrielle making rounds amidst the wounded, and spared a brief smile for her, a curt nod in acknowledgement of her efforts to help the former prisoners.

He made his way to the Supply storage bunkers and helped offload the rest of the remaining trucks. By that point even his reserves were flagging, but he'd promised to check up on the girls, and finally made his way to Violet's.

(OOC its a good deal later that Dan arrives)

One of Fox's security guys entered nearly on James' heels and moved around him and up to Violet. His confidence melted as he addressed the buxom woman. "Uh, Miss Violet ma'am?" He swallowed hard then continued, "Sorry to bother you and all, but Cap'n Fox asks if you'd mind housing some of the refugees, there's an awful lot of em and you've got more space than anyone else. It'd only be a short time until we can get some other housing arranged."

He looked worriedly that the request might offend.

Hana’s mind raced. Pretty soon she would be told where to stay and with whom to stay. Pretty soon the choice would be out of her hands. She’d be housed with the filthy bedraggled refugees. They’d be sick and dirty and stinking. They’d probably moan all night too. At least Kirstin looked clean, and her cousin seemed almost as quiet as Hana herself was. And as crazy as Kirstin was, someone else might be even crazier. All those women had been through the same kinds of horrors that had broken Kristin. They’d be just as broken as the little muscle-bound girl. Maybe more broken.

“Violet?” Hana asked, stepping forward timidly. She bit her lip and gazed demurely at the huge-breasted blonde. “If it’s okay, I can share a room with Kristin, and um, Ashley...”

Violet closed the distance to Hana with three long-legged strides. “Of course you can. You girls can go choose your room.” She smiled beatifically down at Hana and reached out to smooth the messy tangle of black hair from the girl’s brow. Hana answered Violet’s smile with a bashful little smile of her own. “Don’t forget to be sparing with the hot water. There’s not too much to go around and many people are going to want to shower.”

“I won’t.” Hana assured her.

Violet smiled more warmly still. So warmly that Hana felt her throat tingle and her toes curl inside her shoes. Hana wasn’t able to move from that spot Until Violet dropped her hand from Hana’s hair and turned to look awkwardly at James. At that moment Hana realized she’d been holding her breath—waiting for Violet to say something more, lost in that hypnotic smile. She spun toward the stairs, glanced over her shoulder at Kirstin and Ashley as if to say ‘come on’ and danced up to the second floor.

Hana found the bathroom quickly, bolting herself inside. A scream caught in her throat when she chanced to see the face looking out of the mirror. A savage and scrawny looking girl looked back at her out of the glass, her eyes a deep sad blue, her face smudged and dirty. She looked like what she was. A scared battle-hardened little orphan with a far-away stare and the wear of running for months. Hiding. Starving. Surviving. Once she’d been so quick to smile, now it was like she had to coach her lips into a shaky little grin. A shy and hesitant grin. She looked mistrustful. She looked...Hana swallowed and turned away from the mirror sharply. She shrugged out of her back-pack, letting it fall with a clump on the concrete floor. She flicked the light switch out of habit, not expecting it to work, and was surprised by the soft glow that poured down from the ceiling. Under that pale light, Hana carelessly discarded her clothes, stripping free of her shirt, her jeans and socks and the filthy hoodie. She wriggled out of her panties, scrunching them up into a ball and flinging them into a corner. Dan’s borrowed binoculars she placed carefully by the sink, and alongside them she left the heavy steel revolver.

At last she stepped into the shower stall. From the moment the steaming water touched her skin, Hana felt bliss. Standing naked under the hot spray, she pressed her cheek against the cool side of the stall and let her eyes drift closed. How easy it was to imagine herself someplace else. In a hotel. Under a waterfall. She felt her tired aching limbs relax. She felt a bone deep sleepiness begin to fill her, spreading through her blood. She wished she could just lay down under the water, curl into a ball. Stay that way all night. But she couldn’t. Violet had told her not to waste the water. So Hana hurriedly scrubbed and soaped herself, watching as layers of grime and sweat and dirt sluiced away from her and swirled into the drain. She stepped out of the shower ten minutes later, into a bathroom now fogged and misted over from the steam. With the help of a brush—Maybe it’s Violet’s, Hana thought—she untangled her hair, left it shining and sleek. A pink bathrobe hung from the door. After a moment’s hesitation, Hana took it down, wrapped herself in it. The fluffy cotton smelled good and clean, the robe big enough to swallow her whole. She pulled it as tightly closed as she could, bent to retrieve her dirty clothes and balled them up into her shirt. She wrapped the ball of clothes into her hoodie and stuffed the whole mess deep into her backpack, sifting the canned fruits Kristin had given her to the top. Over the shirt she laid her dusty battered Adidas sneakers. Beside the fruits she placed the binoculars and her gun. She zipped up the backpack, and finally stepped out of the bathroom. With one hand she carried her backpack, letting it bounce against her leg, almost dragging it over the floor it hung so low. With her other hand she clutched the robe to her chest, keeping it held closed. Barefoot, Hana padded down the hall, peeking into the rooms to see which one Kristin and Ashley had chosen.

Kristin's sobs softened with Ashley's embrace, her rocking slowed, and both faded away with the sound of Violet's compelling, captivating voice, promising her safety. The pulchritudinous proprietress' perfect smile was so warm and loving and protective, like... not a mother's smile, but something, something she didn't know how to describe, that her terror and shame melted under the sparkling onslaught.

Kristin stood up with fluid grace, muscles rippling, and gave her cousin a fierce hug back, thanking her for her support, then gave Violet a tremulous grin, running a hand through her gleaming, golden hair, face red with embarrassment. More of her toned, shapely legs could be seen through the gaping rents in her tight, frayed jeans.

"Than - Thank-you, Violet," Kristin said with a long stiff to clear her nose. "I'm... better now, and I'll get even better. That place..." Kristin gave a shudder, then firmed her jaw and nodded to herself, looking Violet directly in her plum-coloured eyes. "I'm willing to... to trust you, Violet," she finished in a rush.

Violet's answering smile and the comforting hand she placed on her shoulder nearly made Kristin shiver - she had forgotten what a genuine smile looked like - but then the door opened and the large, muscular man that had ripped her collar off walked in, two other women in tow.

Kristin couldn't quite refrain from a startled flinch and took a quick step behind Violet, then stopped stubbornly. She was free now, she didn't have to be afraid of everything, think that everyone wanted to hurt her. She forced herself to give James a smile and small wave. If the smile looked more like a grimace and the wave, stiff, at least she did it.

When Hana asked Violet if she could share a room with her and Ashley, Kristin gave her a surprised and shy smile, and quickly nodded in agreement. Ashley was her cousin, but Hana had seen her crying like a big baby and still wanted to share a room with her, someone who might be a crazy Slayer, like Faith. I won't be like that. I won't! When Hana scampered up the stairs, Kristin eagerly followed her upstairs, Ashley following.

Hana had immediately claimed the bathroom, so Kristin and Ashley picked the closest room to it on the left. Kristin stopped just inside, looking around the room in surprise. Everything looked new and clean. just like downstairs. It almost looked like a hotel room, a nice one.

"Come on, Kristy, move, I want to go inside too." At Ashley's insistent pushing, Kristin moved deeper into the room, almost concerned about touching anything. She was filthy (at least she thought so), and didn't want to sit on anything until she had her turn in the bathroom. Finally, she sat on the very edge of the far bed. She tossed Ashley her pack of clothes, then started looking through hers, searching for something clean, that would fit.

Sitting cross-legged on the other bed, Ashley watched her traumatized cousin as Kristin dug out a set of relatively clean underwear, seemingly oblivious to the fact that she had greatly outgrown the small cups of the bra. Ashley concealed her concerned frown by looking through her own pack.

Whatever it was that gave her those muscles changed her even more in Paradise. She can't stay in denial about how she looks now. When Hana gets out of the bathroom, I gotta show her that the way people look at her doesn't mean they want to hurt her or control her, it's just she's one of the most...

The door opened and Hana poked her head in. Ashley twisted around and waved her in with a friendly smile while Kristin tried to give one as she surreptitiously stuffed her underwear under the pillow.

"How was the shower, Hana?" Ashley said, grinning with longing, "I hope you left us some."

Noticing Gabrielle's fall, some of the walking wounded let out cries of protest, shuffling forwards with arms reaching out for the exhausted angel in a manner that was so mindlessly desperate it reminded Caleb of the zombies. But these 'zombies' were human beings driven nearly out of their humanity by the suffering they had endured.

He stooped, trying to pick Gabrielle up even as dirty, blood-crusted fingers tried to touch the woman's hair, her wings, her feet, a clamor of voices rising in pleas for aid. Caleb gritted his teeth and struggled to rise under the press of people, but to no avail: they were too many and more were starting to press in behind.

"Get back." he ordered. "She can't heal you. Stop!" The misery and suffering he'd witnessed today was bad enough, but this... there was an unintentional menace to the crowd drawing in around them.

"Let us touch her. My fingers are broken and they hurt so bad." said one girl.

"Stop keeping her from us!" demanded an angry-eyed woman. "She must heal us!" The clamor rose another notch.

"Please." Caleb kept his words calm. "Please, she must be tired. Let her rest."

"No!" snapped the angry-eyed woman. "We are all suffering and you have to-" she stopped suddenly as something hard tapped her on the head, then turned, eyes widening as she saw the golden gleam of a gun-barrel. Looking at her over the sights was a pair of china-blue eyes that sparkled with some ironic humor echoed in the twist of the man's lips. It was an instantly recognisable face, and an eerie hush fell over the crowd as the mercenary bent his arm, raising the pistol to point skyward.

"Now that I have your attention." he smiled, raising his voice so that it carried to all nearby. "May I point out that nobody as noisy and pushy as you all is in any immediate danger. This may change, of course, if you don't back up and give this woman some room." He let that hang in the air for a moment, watching the almost-hypnotised crowd with an air of wry expectation. "Now?" he suggested. The crowd fell back, the noose of people untightening. The Englishman smiled.

"Now, please return to your designated areas. There are plenty of medical supplies: I've seen to that. All the good people helping you will have the tools to do their job. And this lady, when she recovers, will doubtless be back out here to help those that medicine cannot fix." He looked around the circle, still smiling. "There will also be food soon. Please try to be patient with us all. We're doing our best." He spun the unwieldy-looking pistol once in his hand, the gilded metal catching the light and glittering before he slipped it into the holster under one arm. "That will be all, ladies and gentlemen." The crowd, bearing a collective look of abashed bemusement, dispersed like mist under sunlight.

Bond knelt beside Caleb and Gabrielle, his eyes studying the wary young man, then the winged woman in his arms. "Let's pop her on an unused litter and carry her somewhere quiet, hmm? My place is in the storage area of the Refuge. She can recuperate there, and there's coffee and food for both of you." He gave Caleb a wry smile. "Can't have the bodyguard fainting along with his charge, can we?"

A little ways off, some of the disbursing crowd suddenly jerked backwards as a group, stumbling into each other and nearly having a collective heart attack, as a four-armed statue with strange, carapace-black eyes suddenly started to move as it sheathed two dangerous-looking blackened, non-glare finished, stainless steel combat swords. The kind that consist of a single two foot piece of 440 stainless steel, honed to a razor's edge along one side, with nothing but nylon-cord wrapped around the dull end for a handle, and with no other purpose than to kill things.

The sudden appearance of a man with too many arms, wielding weapons like that, and looking as though he's more than willing to use them at any moment is enough to jangle almost anyone's nerves. These people were no exception. Walker had been standing some ten feet from the recent confrontation the entire time, and no one had noticed him until just then. It was clear that he'd intended to do something if the confrontation between the refugees and Bond had gotten out of hand, but what, and to whom, whether to the refugees or to the man with the golden guns, wasn't clear.

But the moment had passed, the crowd had dispersed, and Walker's swords had been sheathed in one smooth motion of his hands, sliding back into fiber-reinforced sheathes strapped upside-down on his back.

Then Walker moved to Caleb and Bond's side and looked down on them with that eerie stillness of his and asked, "Want some help?"

"Yeah, it was still hot when I get out." Hana answered Ashley in a quiet tone. She stood in the doorway of the room for a moment longer, then padded closer to the beds where the other two girls sat. Leaning lightly up against the wall, Hana still held the pink cotton robe closed in one small fist. Her recently brushed hair had a glossy wet shine to it. And though she could never be considered beautiful in the way that Violet and Kristin were, she was, at that moment--swathed in a bathrobe two sizes too big for her--unbearably cute.

Hana lifted her left foot to scratch her right calf, then dropped her back pack to the ground where she stood. She looked again from Ashley to Kristin, her eyes lingering on Kristin's unreal physique...and on the packs of clothes. She'd seen Kristin stuff something under a pillow...she hadn't seen what.

"So...um..." Hana started shyly, "are you guys gonna share a bed?"

Jasmine had smiled faintly at Jim and nodded at his instructions. She watched him head off, then shouldered it and kept it on her for now, just in case. With all this influx of people, she doubted Fox was going to have much to say about a couple of them staying armed, especially while dealing with something as crucial as medical supplies.

What she didn't tell Jim was that she was tired, miserable, and felt like something just tried to chew her up and spit her out. She didn't need to - he'd been there. She had a feeling of wrongness that she couldn't quite shake. But whining about it wasn't going to accomplish anything, and distracting herself with something important was probably her best option anyway.

She headed out in search of either of the doctors. It was difficult, locating two specific people in a crowd of well over a hundred or more. What she didn't have difficulty seeing is that they needed the supplies, and right away. When she finally located the doctors she could tell that they were too busy tending to the wounded for her to get through to them right away. So instead of wasting anyone's time, she went off and found a few men she knew from the wall and trusted to be responsible helping her out. Then she took them back and they started working on getting the supplies unpacked. After instructing them on which boxes contained the medical supplies, and also pulling out two of the leftover crates of bottled water that Jim hadn't traded out yet - it wasn't as much in demand here since they had a water supply as it was in other places - they made their way back towards the crowd.

Jasmine guided them through, her shotgun still slung over her shoulder and carrying one of the crates of bottled water herself on her other shoulder. She glanced around uneasily, noticing the temporary quiet of the crowd. Her eyes flickered around, and people parted for the woman holding the weapon and the men holding boxes. Her gaze rested on Caleb first, with the unconscious Gabrielle in his arms, and then moved to Bond. She sat the water down first and instructed a couple of the men to start passing it out to any of the women who were thirsty. She hoped they weren't too scared of men to accept the water from them, at least. Then she drew in a breath, and stepped closer to them Caleb and Bond, her voice a quiet murmur.

"What happened here, is she okay? And where are Dr. Singh and Dr. Shattuck? I have the supplies."

Hana rescued her with her juvenile innocence and impatience. Before things got out of control she took Kristin and her cousin and simply went upstairs taking initiative like an adult.

Relieved Violet watched them leave and gave James an apololegetic smile. "I... I only wanted you to agree with having them stay here. I'm sorry, I didn't know what to do and Kristin is so..." beautiful, she didn't dare say it but James could tell that Violet was trying to keep her indulgence in check. Her eyes wandered to the door that led upstairs with a certain ache.

"I don't want things to get more complicated then they already are - can we handle this without getting into an argument? Please?"

There it was again - was this what she meant when she worded it earlier?

Focus James. James opened his mouth to talk then shut it again.

That's right. No more foot in mouth. We'll have that after break up talk, but not now and not here. Focus on... housing. Worry about Kristin, Hana, Jan, Helen, and Fox's minion.

James clearly changed what he was going to say and answered evenly, "Of course I agree to having them here. They need shelter, this is the best in the base, and we have the room."

James turned to Fox's minion and added, "But not much longer. Yes, we'd be happy to house as many refugees as we can. I'm not sure how many people we have in here already, but fill us to capacity."

James said to Helen & Jan, "Meaning if you want to stay here, and trust me, you do, we'd better stake you out a room before they're all gone."

It was at that point Dan arrived, looking tired. "Is everyone alright?" It was the first time anyone had seen the Marine look tired. In the end Lorraine hadn't felt well, and as such hadn't ever left his place. Instead he brought two duffle bags of clothing and other supplies himself.

He nodded to James, Simon, and the man from Fox. "It occurs to me James that many of these women aren't too fond of men right now, with good reason. Perhaps it would be best if we let the women have this place, and we stay elsewhere."

He knew it was James's home, but at this point he thought his arguement sound.

"She...she's tired." Caleb grunted as he shifted her weight in his arms, trying to find a good way to hold on to Gabrielle without breaking something. Not only did the wings add to the slight girl's weight, but they were akward to maneuver around; he finally settled for a sort of fireman's hold as he looked around for somewhere she could rest.

"The doctors are over there," he motioned with his chin the direction, small knots of chaos pinpointing the position of those with the knowledge or power to heal. To Bond he asked, "Is there somewhere I can take her? All the trailers we brought are already full, and I don't want to leave her out where people can get to her. She needs to sleep."

This sounded ok. James was willing to compromise - for now. Violet nodded at him and started to organize her mind.

We take as many as possible within reasonable numbers - I think 100 should be ok..."

Violet's eyes scanned the room as she pictured how the women could be sheltered here.

"We have to stack the tables and chairs on the centre stage to make more room. I'll make a list and stop taking people when we reach 100. Pregnant women and those with severe injuries will get one of the rooms upstairs. We'll have to do this on a first come first serve basis. And we need a few hands to keep things organized - I won't allow to get this place crowded and stormed by panicked and traumatized women, ok? Go tell the Captain we're ok with taking 100 women but we need a few of his men or preferably women to help us out to keep order, ok?"

James and Dan had never seen this side of Violet but she was really getting her head into this and seemed to be eager to make this happen. "Can you guys help me making this happen?", Violet asked both her lover and her ex. She wanted to be alone with Dan and kiss him... but that had to wait for a while...

Dan nodded, and Willed himself to continue for bit longer, first taking a table andthen the chairs and stacking them neatly on the stage. "Tell him we'll at least need blankets of some sort for the floor, while it is clean, it is cold. We can't afford any of them to get sick, or we stand the chance that they all will."

He went back to work stacking up the chairs and table and making room.

Oscar, the one of Fox's seemingly grizzled security men looked back to Violet and bobbed his head in relief. "I'll tell him right away Miss Violet. I'm sure 100 is more than he would have expected. Thank you." He looked unsure what to do next as if torn between bowing and kissing her hand or something similar, in the end he just saluted and turned to go, but looked back several times on his way to the door as if to drink in the view. Once outside he rushed back to the Captain and passed on the message. Fox in turn gave orders over the radio to have any pregnant and injured women sent to Violets after being treated by the doctors.

Originally Posted By: Dan Hawkins
He nodded to James, Simon, and the man from Fox. "It occurs to me James that many of these women aren't too fond of men right now, with good reason. Perhaps it would be best if we let the women have this place, and we stay elsewhere."
James nodded to Dan in understanding and apparent agreement then said flatly, "No."

James added in explanation, "There's this concept called 'not picking up other people's emotional luggage.' I don't give up girlfriends because someone else feels bad that they don't have one. I don't move myself and what's left of my family..." Thank you Violet "...out of my home to go live in some hovel because someone else feels bad. If they're uncomfortable, then they can either face their fears or go live in tent city with a lot more men than one."

Dan looked at James, and for a moment took stock. He wasn't in the condition to put him in his place for that comment. "Fine James, do what you want." He went back to clearing the furniture.

Part of him understood, but in this situation, It seemed petty. He resisted the urge to hurl insults, this wasn't the time. The look on his face darkened and that was all, as he went back to what he'd been doing.

Originally Posted By: Gabrielle
"Is there somewhere I can take her? All the trailers we brought are already full, and I don't want to leave her out where people can get to her. She needs to sleep."

"Yes. My tent." Bond smiled at the young man patiently. "As dens of inequity go, it's large, clean and in a quiet area of the camp." He stood along with Caleb and glanced at Walker with a nod. "We should be okay now. Thank you for standing by there. Nice to know there's a spare hand or four around if things go sour." He turned to Jasmine.

"Just a case of someone pushing themselves too far." he told her with a warm smile, putting one arm around the girl's shoulders and kissing her on the cheek. "We've got it under control. Thanks for bringing the water and meds over." He looked around, then back at Jasmine, scrutinizing her with an analytical but gentle gaze. "How are you feeling? Want to go back to the tent and watch over our healing angel here for awhile?"

Originally Posted By: Courier
James nodded to Dan in understanding and apparent agreement then said flatly, "No."

James added in explanation, "There's this concept called 'not picking up other people's emotional luggage.' I don't give up girlfriends because someone else feels bad that they don't have one. I don't move myself and what's left of my family..." Thank you Violet "...out of my home to go live in some hovel because someone else feels bad. If they're uncomfortable, then they can either face their fears or go live in tent city with a lot more men than one."

"That's the most selfish thing I've heard in six months and I was in Hell during that time," Simon said, his voice going from calm and soothing to heated and full of rancor. "Are you so heartless that you can't put someone else before your own creature comforts? So you have to give up room in your house. At least you haven't been raped or shot or electrocuted or worse in that time. At least you have a house. The women out there don’t even have tents," Simon sneered at him, the slight man walking forward until there was only five feet between them. At this distance, it was clear that James was easily twice as big as the other man - but there was no fear in Simon’s face. “You’re no better than Hornsbeck – you’re just operating on a different scale.”

Abraham made his way through the throng. When saw members that were supposed to be helping he kindly but authoritatively ordered them back to work. To the women he tried to give them direction of where to go. He spotted John who seemed to be trying to offer aid. From what he had seen today John was a very misunderstood man. One whose gifts had separated him from being a part of the community but still had the need to be in them.

"John isn't it? I heard Dr. Singh is in need of some supplies being relocated. I am not that strong of a man my self but I was on my way to offer aid. Care to join me sir?"

James replied evenly, "Selfish? I am sharing here. People can stay. Or they can leave. Their choice. I control myself, I don't control other people." James didn't look at Violet.

"The bottom line is No member of my family goes hungry if the crops fail. Ditto shelter. Ditto safety. When someone has to die, it won't be one of mine. I also do far more than my share for this community. Building this building and killing the zombie blob are two examples."

"Behind every board here there's a zombie I destroyed. Many nights I have slept, and will again, on rooftops with moaning hoards waiting at the bottom. It is fair to want to enjoy the fruits of your own labors. It is fair to refuse to shoulder the world's problems. There's an endless ocean of pain out there and I've had my own cup."

"No one's asking you or your family to go hungry. No one's asking your wife or children to leave the building, just that you find another place to sleep," Simon snapped, "but you can't seem to hear that over your own whining. What if you do more? I don't hear Dan here asking for more because he does more. I haven't heard Bond insisting on a share of the supplies from the prison's stores for his part in the liberation of the women.

"When it comes down to it, you don't want to have be put of your bed. You don't care that already damaged and hurt women will be lying awake when they should be sleeping, listening with shallow breaths to see if you're sneaking up on them. You don't know what they've been through!" Simon's face was red, and he was almost shouting. It was a complete change from the patience he'd shown Kristin, even when she'd been raising an axe to him. "You weren't there, you didn't have to sit in a cell and know what was happening, what you were helpless to stop!"

Simon made an impatient, angry gesture. "But no, so you can sleep in your bed, you're telling women who are terrified of you that they can sleep outside if they don't like you here! You may try to justify it, but you are a selfish bastard! I hope that others remember this when you need help, or healing, or just someone to give you a bed to sleep in!" He looked around at the assembled men. "Am I the only one here who'd going to speak up against this?"

As James had finished speaking, some of the first women who were to be staying here had started trailing into the building. They stopped, taking in the scene. Dirty, battered and bruised, they stared at the scene with hollow eyes. But that tiredness was slowly being replaced with a rising anger, anger that was starting to be directed at James as they began to understand what was being said.

Originally Posted By: Hana
"So...um..." Hana started shyly, "are you guys gonna share a bed?"

"What? Oh, sorry, Hana," Ashley said to the cute girl with an apologetic grin. "Just thought you'd be a little longer is all. I was gonna ask Violet if she could spare a room for me and Simon..." Kristin's eyes narrowed at the name, her expression cooly neutral, but Ashley was still looking at Hana and continued blithely on, "... but I think, it should be just us girls, hmmm?" She raised a questioning brow at Hana, then glanced at Kristin, who nodded emphatically.

Ashley picked up her bag then moved over to the other bed, sitting with a bounce next to Kristin. "Let my just get my things, then I have to tell Kristin something she really needs to know, then I'll tell Simon the deal, okay?"

Ashley dug around in her bag and pulled out her own bathrobe and a brush, then jumped back to her feet, grabbing Kristin's hand and tugging her along. Kristin let herself be pulled to her feet, but then stubbornly refused to move, a hesitant look on her face, almost suspicious.

"What do you have to tell me, Ash?"

"It's something I need to show you, Kristy," Ashley beseeched, her eyes bright with sympathy. "We need the mirror in the bathroom. Come on, please?"

Defenseless in the face of her cousin's plea, Kristin followed her cousin to the bathroom, vaguely worried about what Ashley wanted to show her. As soon as Hana heard the bathroom door close with a firm click, she padded across the room and peeked under Kristin's pillow, curious as a kitten.

What she saw made her pick up the pillow completely, eyebrows raised in puzzled surprise. What Kristin had hidden was a simple set of Fruit of the Loom bra and panties. What confused Hana was that there was no way that bra would fit the curvy 'roid angel, and she wasn't even sure about the panties. With one hand still holding the bathrobe closed, Hana used the other to hold down the labels to read the size. Hey, these are my size.

Her curiosity piqued even higher, Hana placed the pillow back on top of the underwear, nudging a corner to make it look just right. Then with all the grace of a master hide-and-seeker, Hana glided back into the hall and padded up to the bathroom, pressing her ear against the door.

"... come on Kristy, look at the mirror! You have to! Stop twisting you head away, I'm trying to show why guys look at you the way they do! Damn it, you're stronger than a bull - Not every guy is like Hornsbeck and his lackeys, who want to do things to you. It's because you're fuckin' - please? Kristin, for me?"

There was a long silence, then Hana heard a shocked gasp.

"Is that really me? I'm - I'm pretty, really pretty. Too pretty. When did my eyes turn green? Even my teeth a straight now, my chipped tooth is fixed. Ash, how did this happen?" The astonishment in Kristin's voice rapidly slid to distress.

"Kristin, cuz, you're a lot more than pretty. You're insanely gorgeous. Until I saw Violet, I didn't think anyone could be more beautiful than you. You make Esmi Valasquez, miss Teen New Mexico look like a dog. Even Angelina Jolie is, like, whatever compared to you. Kristy, stop staring at your face and look down - that's right! I don't even know how you could completely ignore those. You're at least as big as that bitch Tiffany Townsend, and as she tells - told everybody, she's a D-cup. Man, I almost didn't feel bad when I shot-"

"Oh! My! Fucking! God! My boobs! They're huge!"

"Violet's are huge. Yours are... big and awesome and perfect." Hana could hear the sincerity and compassion in Ashley's tone, but now there was an intensity to it. "Kristy, how you look now, you changed in Paradise. It... it... every time it got really bad, when Hornsbeck and the others went almost too far... When you recovered, you ended up prettier than before. Kris-"

"So, you're saying they beat me pretty?!"

"I... I guess you could say that, but-"

"I don't believe this!"

"I'm sorry, cuz, but it happened," Ashley sighed. "Anyway, that's why all the guys stare at you - you're just about the prettiest girl ever. They don't all want to... hurt you. Some will, that's - that's true, but there are good men too, Kristy. Simon's one. Please, don't go hating them all, 'cause of what-"

"I'm taking my shower now. Go, Ash, please?" Kristin asked with a curious lack of emotion.

Another sigh, then, "Okay, Kristy. I should go talk to Simon, anyway." Hana barely made it back inside the room before the bathroom door opened and Ashley strode out down the hall, eyes bright, her expression melancholy but determined.

In the shower, Kristin almost moaned under the caress of warm water, so different from the hose Master would use to spray her down, and tried to ignore the incredible curves she had just become aware of. She scrubbed at her skin with a luffa, trying to rid her self of the filth she felt, but the water flowed down her body, clear and clean. With a rising panic, she pressed harder, enough to scour steel, her flesh glowing pink, but still the water showed no dirt.

The dirt, it's too deep, I can't get rid of it. I'll never be clean again. Tears sprang to her eyes, and her breathing came in ragged gasps. With the remnants of her battered will, Kristin struggled to control her anxiety. This is who you are now, what you are. Don't bitch 'cause you're pretty, there are lotsa worst things to be. You could still be in Paradise.

Having enough of her thoughts in the shower, Kristin got out, and wrapped a soft, terrycloth towel around her chest, rubbing her hair dry with a hand towel. Her gleaming, pale gold mane fell in a perfect swath to her chin with no need of a brush. She picked up her clothes in a mangled ball and quietly returned to her room.

Hana watched the gorgeous fitness goddess enter their room, her posture oddly diffident and self-conscious, the curves of her muscles and the bit of cleavage that refused to be covered by her towel glistening. Kristin sat down on her bed, then listlessly poked around inside her bag, realizing nothing in there would fit properly anymore.

Kristin shyly glanced up at Hana on the other bed, her lips twisted in a wry grin. There's someone here, who they'll fit. She held up her bag of clothes.

"You need any extra clothes, Hana? Most of these won't fit me right, anymore."

Dan looked at them all. "That is ENOUGH." He looked to James, "If you must have your place, then take it."

He looks to simon. "You, calm down. This is going to be tricky enough getting so many people into this building. If you have energy to Yell, then you have energy to start spreading blankets or help me finish clearing room for the ladies who're waiting to get a nice restful night's sleep. I'll provide you with a safe place to sleep myself. It won't be my first night under the stars."

He looked to everyone else, the women who were beginning to come in. "I know you've been through Hell. I saw the women in Solitary in their cells. I won't try to say any meaningless plattitudes. For right now please just bear with these arrangements. We're doing the best we can, and come tomorrow we will do all we can to remedy any issues."

Finished speaking, the Marine resumes his work, At least he would put all his efforts in to making the women comfortable.

Click to reveal..

Cha+Command spending wp trying to stop this before it becomes a brawl and gets out of hand.

(23:37:47) ChatBot: (Dan_Hawkins) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,5,2,10,7,6,8.

(23:42:29) ChatBot: (Dan_Hawkins) rolls 1d10 and gets 9.

6 successes

Archived