Aberrant: Dead Rising - Chapter 10a: Hell [Mature]

Dawn OOC

Jasmine's lips twitched a little, looking a bit amused at Hana's comment, though she tried to hide it from the older girl. But the noise from the conflict distracted her, and she watched James's efforts to control the situation, pausing as she watched to see what effect it would have on the former prisoners, hoping that they would be inclined to listen.

But he was a man, and that made it a possibility that he would be disregarded by the women who'd been so callously mistreated. She waited with baited breath to see how the groups of conflicting women would react to his demand.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hana was greeted by a smile... and an energy bar held out in one gloved hand. It was almost as though he'd read her mind.

"Afraid not. My name's Bond. James Bond. But you can call me Jim if it helps." The laid-back British drawl was as out of place here as it would have been on the moon, yet the cool blue eyes were friendly enough... insofar as she could get any read on him at all. "Yes, it really is my name: parents have a sense of humor sometimes.. No, I'm not mad. No, neither are you." He gave her a charming crooked grin. "I got sick, and ended up changed to look like my namesake."

"So what's your name?"

Hana accepted the energy bar readily enough, though her expression remained dubious as she looked at Bond.

Fuck, that's loud... she thought, grimacing at the honking blast and glancing irritably towards the huge man with the horn, before turning her attention back to Bond.

"Thanks..." Hana took a bite of the energy bar, carefully savoring it and chewing it before swallowing so she could announce "I'm Hana." There was a pause while she tore off another a chunk of the energy bar and glanced sidelong at Jasmine before insisting "Are you sure you're not Daniel Craig? Because you really, really, look a lot like him."

Myfwany gave Bond a distinctly uneasy look, but was distracted by the hullaballoo between James and the increasingly violent prison women.

Wasn't that a softcore Skinamax movie?

"I need to see what's left of that zombie blob," she says to Bond as Hana starts to pester him from the other side. "Hold down the fort and make sure nothing abjectly stupid happens to anyone."

With that, the doctor takes a syringe, a large ziplock baggie and a pair of scissors, and heads down the hill towards the prison.

It took a while, but slowly everyone was ready for Fox's big show. Some of the women couldn't be there, due to their medical condition.

Jules still stood off to the side, holding Hornsbeck in an arm lock. The other guards were there, but being guarded as a group rather than individually.

Fox was trying to sort it all out. It seemed that all the women wanted something from him, and with the number that he was dealing with, he found that it was a bit overwhelming. It seemed that even men with defenders had accusations of abuse being leveled against them.

Fox could tell this was not going to be pleasant but at least he had learned to detect lies. That would at least make some of the determinations of guilt a bit more accurate if not easier to deal with. Before beginning, he walked over to where Jules stood still guarding Hornsbeck and stuffed a dirty rag in the bastard's mouth when he opened it to speak.

Putting a sympathetic hand on her shoulder, "Jules, I know this piece of shit deserves to be killed slowly over many days, but we can't do that. All it will do is poison your heart, it won't give you satisfaction. You can be on the firing squad if that helps, but we need to do this swiftly for the sake of all the victims. Besides, every minute that he lives is another minute that there is a chance for him to escape as unlikely as that is. Let the end be quick for your sake, not his."

Click to reveal..

(16:04:34) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 2d10 and gets 9,1.

(16:04:38) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 1d10 and gets 6.

+ persuader

so 2 to 4 successes depending on Carvers decsion.

Jules didn't want it to be quick. She wanted it to last for hours, just like her torment had been. But despite her own wishes, she felt her will give way before the force of his determination.

Morgan saw the defeat that crossed her features, and saw her shoulders drop. "You're right," she said, almost sounding like she believed it. "It should be fast, so I'm not like him."

Her hand snapped out and caught him by the groin through his pants. Jules' arm snapped back, tearing soft flesh and cloth. She threw the chunks of meat on the ground as Hornsbeck fell over backwards, screaming. He was bleeding out fast, only seconds from death.

"That's fast enough, for scum like him," she announced over his howls, blood dripping from her fingers. Her black eyes were hard as she looked at Morgan, waiting for him to react.

Morgan stood dispassionately looking at the dying man trash and jerk choking on the rag as he bled out. "I can't say I'm sorry but I wish you had waited."

The crowd was shrinking back from the two supers and the violently dying man. He sounded a great deal like a stuck pig screaming through his nose as he was. Quietly he said to Jules, "Well, that will certaintly put the 'fear of' into the rest of them. Maybe it wasn't so bad afterall."

Minutes later when the sound of the dying thing had ceased, Fox floated into the air high enough that everyone in the crowd could see him easily and raised his voice for all to hear.

"Terrible, unspeakable things were done in this place. I've seen the results and I've seen the evidence with my own eyes. Some of the men here do not deserve to live, like Hornsbeck. Perhaps some do. If there are any victims who would vouch for any of the men here please move to stand with him when it is his turn to defend his actions. If any man has at least two women who will speak up for him he will be given a full trial back at the refuge and depending on the result will be given his freedom or be sentenced to work, or executed depending on his level of guilt. Know however, that if you stand surety for a guilty man then you will share his sentence should he commit crimes within the refuge. For some of the men here there can be no defense. Hornsbeck the leader, for his role in orchestrating this hell on earth. I have no desire to have his blood stain the ground of the refuge, his fate was swift and immediate."

He looked to where Jules stood then back at the crowd, "All others will be given the chance to speak and defend their actions. If any wish to question my decision regarding Hornsbeck I will show you the evidence I have seen. Also, as you step forward to plea your case know that I have the ability to detect lies and will not allow the truth to be

hidden."

He gestured at a spot in the center of the yard near where he floated. "There will be no slick lawyers for the defense or the prosecution here to talk your way out. When it is your turn step forward give your defense and we will listen. If anyone has evidence against a guard you will be given the chance to speak. If anyone wishes to vouch for the man you too will be allowed to speak. I do not want any shouting or disruptions. Everyone will be allowed to speak who wishes to do so and will have their turn."

Looking to the Marine Captain. "Captain Hawkins, I hate to ask it, but would you perform the rest of the executions?" The marine looked grim but nodded and checked his rifle.

Kristin and Ashley stood next to each other, waiting for the trial to begin. That one guard stayed close to Ashley, and they whispered often, too low for her to hear. Other than giving him one brief glare, she didn't pay overmuch attention. Kristin's eyes kept being drawn back to Hornsbeck, caught in Jules's grasp.

The flying man - Morgan she thought she heard him called - was talking with Jules, when the woman snapped a hand out and grabbed Master HornFucker! by the balls and pulled! Kristin's eyes went wide, her mouth dropped open in silent shock, as she gaze followed that gobbet of flesh to the ground. Slowly, her eyes returned to the thrashing of her former enslaver.

Suddenly, a giggle burst from her. She quickly brought her hands to her mouth, trying to stifle it, but snorts and chuckles kept escaping - she couldn't help it. She should have done that a long time ago - she liked the sound he was making. He had made her make those sounds often enough.

"I'm - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh." Though she tried to look apologetic, her eyes were bright, and the grin kept threatening to return to her lips.

While Kristin giggled with glee, Hana turned away from the grisly spectacle with a shocked gasp.

Oh no...no no, not again. Hana thought as the memories of Marmac came rushing back. Whether it was that, or the image of Hornsbeck gurgling out his death into a gag and floundering in the dirt before her, pulsing gore from his ruined crotch, Hana found her stomach heaving. She lurched a few staggering steps from the crowd, doubling over and retching hard. Her throat burned and the only bit of food she'd eaten in several days, the energy bars, came back up.

Hana looked down on her vomit in dismay. She felt weak and trembling...and far worse than the taste of bile in her mouth was the rising tide in her blood. The coldness that seized her heart.

NO! Stop. Stop it. She clenched her fists against her knees, taking short shallow breaths. In the dark night Hana's eyes had turned to ink. Black and terrible. But doubled over as she was, no one could see...and a few shaky breaths later Hana straightened carefully and walked to a crooked tree a safe distance from the others. There she sat, back against the dry wood, and drew her knees up to her chest, hugging herself tightly and peering out over her arms.

Dan nods once finishing reloading his rifle. He knew he'd be the executioner, Fox didn't know what he'd done in the room, how he'd killed that guard.

He had hoped that the women wouldn't have to see this, that Violet and evspecially Hana would have to see him kill other people.

He resolved his face into a grim mask, showing no emotion as he came to stand behind the guards.

James was no doctor but as a first responder he knew the basics and tried to help Myf and the others. Many of the women... shrank him. He didn't try to force it. Right, maybe a big scary guy isn't the best choice for this... but on the whole I think I'm doing more good than harm.

James got a nonplussed expression as he watched Hornsbeck die. A women on his right said coldly, "He deserved that and worse."

James thought, Lots of venom in that voice, pain too. She's moving like she's hurt, but I think she'd be handsome in different circumstances. What is she... interesting. She's got some medical training if I'm not mistaken.

Another woman further to his right said quietly to the first, "Helen, I'm not sure what to do about my husband."

Helen replied somewhat bitterly, "Jan, Watching Josh die sounds good to me. These people are going to execute him. He has it coming."

Jan replied in uncertain agreement, "Yes..."

James thought, He has it coming because all men do, or does she mean him specifically? These two are friends, that'd be odd if the later.

James said, "Fox said if you vouch for him he'll at least get a trial. Things might turn out ok." James thought, Under the stress and worry Jan seems pretty... and a lot less damaged than the others. Maybe this Josh guy is worth saving?

Helen snorted, and Jan said, "Josh is Evil."

Then again, maybe he isn't.

Helen fully turned towards James and said, "He helped Hornsbeck do this."

James inhaled sharply. The right side of Helen's face was a solid mass of ugly burn scar. Her left profile was what that of an attractive woman, but someone had drawn a line down the middle of her face and burned off everything on the right side.

James said, "Ouch. I'm sorry." Those are too even to be an accident, this was deliberate.

Helen replied, "Don't be. You didn't do them. I castrated the son of bitch who raped me and the other guards did this in revenge. I'm going to be in pain every day for the rest of my life but it was worth it."

James tried, and failed, to keep from staring and said, "I'm surprised they didn't kill you."

Helen said, "They wanted to but..." Helen couldn't bring herself to finish that sentence and Jan just shook her head and refused to finish it for her.

James said, "Um... I know two supers who are healers. This is probably reversible."

Helen said flatly, "You're wrong. I'm a Vet, I should know. This will never heal."

James replied gently, "They're miracle healers, and I've seen them heal worse than this. I'm tough and strong, they heal people."

Helen and Jan looked at James like he was crazy, stupid, or a gift from God. James reflected, I've got their attention and they're not flinching from me or cursing at me. For this crowd that's a seriously good start. They could seriously use some hope and I'm not the one with the tools.

James stalled for time while he looked around for Myf by asking, "A Vet? Which service were you in?"

Jan answered for Helen saying, "She means Veterinarian. Animal doctor, surgeon too."

Spotting Myf, James called out, "Hey Myf? Helen is in a lot of pain here, do you think you can do something about these burns?"

Myfwany stared, aghast, at Hornsby's fate, but Hana's reaction took her mind off her own shock. She quickly went to the young girl's side and turned her around to press her face against her hip.

She wanted to say something reassuring, but what could be said?

The carnival of horrors went on when James sidled up with a pair of women in tow. Myfwany couldn't stop herself from thinking, boy, he really works fast doesn't he?, but she listened to his request and nodded.

She leaned over and said to Hana, "Why don't you come watch this instead?" She tugged Hana's sleeve, but let the girl decide what to do as she went to James' side and looked the scarred woman's face over.

No...she didn't mourn Hornsby. Better if there had been some sort of process...some kind of justice...but she wouldn't mourn the man who had presided over this.

Myfwany smiled at the young woman and put her small hand to the burn tissue. "Try to relax...this won't hurt, but it may feel a bit funny."

Healing Helen's burn wasn't like most wounds. The damage was more complete, the cells not just damaged but dead; the tissue destroyed then replaced with scar tissue. Myfwany delved into the endless green waves of Helen's skin and with time and effort, figured out how to unweave the scars and coax new cells to grow again.

To the others, Myfwany was silent and still with her eyes closed and her hand on Helen's cheek. Aside from her breathing there was no sign she was doing anything. Then Helen's eyes widened, and Myfwany took a deep breath and let it out slowly. A wind circled the two women briefly, fluttering their clothes with a restless child's fingers, and carrying the scent of pine and cut grass. There was a peculiar feeling one had looking at the two...as though something incalculably huge, but completely invisible, were looming over the spot Myfwany stood.

And then it was over. Myf opened her eyes and took her hand away. The wind was gone, the scents and feeling of presence were gone. Helen's scars were...not gone, but one could see at a glance that they were vastly improved. From having been almost hamburgerian in appearance the scar was now just a patch of rough skin, through which healthy pink skin could be seen now. It was smaller as well. Perhaps most importantly though, for Helen at least, was that the deep pain of it was gone. Myf's healing had come from underneath on up, repairing the nerve damage before petering out before the skin was completely regenerated.

Myfwany took a step back and shook her head, a bit dazed. "That was..." She recovered, but looked visibly tired by the experience. "I mean, is that better? It should be, but...I haven't tried to heal damage on that scale before. Is it better?"

James felt a combination of awe, gratitude, and jealousy. James thought, It's like watching the hand of God. Or maybe I shouldn't put 'like' in there. I can heal myself... but her gift strikes me as a lot more, and not because she did my eyes in seconds.

James said, "That's much better Myfwany, thank you." Not her best work, but she's overworked and stressed out. This is great under the circumstances. I'm not sure if I feel depressed or relieved that she has limits.

Helen almost fell over and choked out, "I don't feel it anymore." She put her hand to her face and added, "It doesn't hurt. I can feel it a little."

Jan gasped and said, "Helen, your face! This is impossible."

Helen said, "I need a mirror."

James reached out and grabbed Helen's arm to keep her from falling over. Jan fumbled around and pulled out a makeup compact and handed it over. Helen looked in the tiny mirror and overcome with emotion, started to cry.

Jan said, "What I just saw... it's just impossible. Who, what are you people?"

James thought, Right, she's been inside a jail for six months. If she heard any rumors she didn't believe them. James replied, "We're Supers. We got powers after the rules changed. We're not sure why, a mutated virus or magic or something."

Jan looked from Helen to Myf to James and struggled to digest all this.

James said, "It doesn't have to end here. Myf's healing is progressive. I think she could take another whack at it in a week or so and maybe finish up."

James looked at Myf for confirmation.

Hana had reluctantly yielded to Myfwany's urging and followed the doctor to the side of the woman with the hideous scar burned across half her face.

She stood and watched as Myfwany reached out and touched that ruined visage, watched as the scar knit and healed and softened, as if by miracle. Then she stood and stared in disbelief, her mouth slightly open, the horror of the execution line behind her momentarily forgotten. Myfwany had real power, Hana thought. A gift...not a curse.

Maybe she can... But, no. It was too much to hope for. And besides, even if Hana could trust her, it didn't take much to see that Myfwany was exhausted, spent and drained from the amazing outpouring of her power. Now was definitely not the time.

So, instead, Hana tugged shyly at Myfwany's sleeve and whispered. "Can we get out of here, now?" She didn't want to stay and watch the killings. She'd seen enough of that.

James looked at Myf in concern and said, "Careful there Myf. Don't drive yourself too hard." Interesting that it'd take less than a week. My eyes took a lot longer.

James turned back to the other two. Overcome with emotion, Helen sat down on the ground crying. A girl who'd been following sat down and cried with her. James thought, Helen and this new one could be sisters. No, they *are* sisters.

Jan looked at Myf then at James with speculative uncertainly.

James said, "Right. You asked 'who' didn't you?" James gave a formal half bow and said, "James DeBeer, former bodybuilder turned Firefighter at your service." James motioned to Myf and added, "This is Dr Myfwany Shattuck, first rate doctor turned first rate doctor and healer."

Jan gave a practiced formal curtsy with an imaginary dress and replied, "Janella María García, banker's daughter turned school teacher. This is Helen Davidson, Veterinarian, and her sister Christina."

James thought, Serious accent when she said her full name. South American? She looks the part. Early twenties, those clothes and make up seriously don't help her... oh. That's probably intentional.

Jan said, "So tell me about this refuge?"

James replied, "A dozen or so supers and almost 300 normals on what used to be a military base. Fox is our founder and leader." James nodded towards Fox and continued, "He was military before z-day."

Jan asked, "And... you're a Super too? What do you do?"

James thought, Ask a man about himself...

James replied, "Leap tall buildings with a single bound. Exercise for hours without tiring. Pick up trucks. Bounce bullets. Kill zombies." James nodded to the boss monster and said, "Mostly my work. The others helped though. A thousand zombies would eventually beat me, but I just leave before that."

James could see wheels turning in Jan's head. She eyed a group of guards being held prisoner and asked, "Do you think Fox's... sorting method is fair? Could you get several women to vouch for you?"

James thought for a moment then replied, "Yeah, I think it's fair. He really can tell when someone is lying so if someone gets up there and truthfully says they didn't do it then he'll keep them alive for a trial back home. But the worst of the worst end here."

Jan thought, That's not what I asked.

James winked at Jan and added, "As for getting women to vouch for me, sure I could. That one right over there would..." James pointed at the inhumanly beautiful Violet, "...and so would three others back home."

Jan thought, Gack. The most beautiful woman on the Earth. Well of course he's with her.

In a forced tone of voice Jan said, "Your girl friend?"

James replied in what he hoped was a light voice, "Ex-girlfriend. We're not on speaking terms at the moment. She put my heart in a blender last week. She even took most of the rest of my family with her when she walked out."

Jan blinked, this wasn't the answer she'd expected. She asked a little incredulously, "With your life on the line you'd use your Ex-girlfriend, who you're not speaking to, as a reference?"

James said, "Yeah, Violet left in spite of how I was treating her. She's got issues. The other two left with her because of issues Violet created." James shrugged and added, "What can a guy do? You move on and you rebuild." This is getting painful.

Jan asked insightfully, "Do you still love her?"

James sighed and replied, "I will always carry a torch for her but... to see her is too want her. To be with her is to love her. That's the way her powers work. The answer to your question is I don't want her back. V is amazingly self destructive. If Jill ever decides she's not gay I'd take her back, but that's not going to happen while Violet is alive."

Struggling to both understand and not laugh, Jan asked, "Wait, you had four girlfriends and three of them decided they were gay and left?"

James said, "That's... close. V is seeing another guy now. I wish them luck, but I think it won't help."

Janella thought, To be with her is to love her. He meant that literally. That is one messed up power. And... as of today, being Mrs. Josh, or even his widow, would only be a good thing if I'd finally poisoned him.

Jan said, "James, would you please do me a huge favor?"

James answered, "Name it."

Jan pointed and said, "My car is in the lot on the far left side over there. It's a small, green, two door. It's locked and I don't have the keys any more. Could you please break in, get some legal papers I have under the front seat on the passenger's side, and then give them to Josh over there? Tell him he's been served."

Puzzled, James replied, "Legal papers? Here and now?"

Jan said firmly, "I've had them for six months. They're annulment papers. That's like a divorce but it's retroactive. Josh is going to die today and I don't want to be his widow. Serve those papers and we were never married."

James nodded and looked at Jan speculatively. He said, "When we get back to the base I'd like to introduce you to JoAnna."

Jan replied, "I'd like that."

James nodded again. Might as well show off... and better be quick, if I'm late Josh will 'leave'. James leaped 200 meters to the parking lot.

Morgan began the trials. They didn't bother to move away from Hornsbeck's cooling body. It added a certain gravitas to the procedures.

Most of the cases were cut and dried. Very few of the guards rounded up had any women speaking for them, and a number speaking against. One lucky man had three women, all who claimed to be married to him - and yes, knew about one another - and vouched for him. There was two who only had issues.

The first was a guard with a woman who claimed to have been his wife before Z-day. They had a baby, and Fox recognized them as the people he'd seen during his scouting run. But she was the only one vouching for him.

The other odd case was Simon. The man claimed to be a prisoner rather than a guard, and Dan could vouch that he found Simon in a cell. Only one woman, Ashley supported him; most women didn't know who he was or that he'd been in the prison. He claimed that he'd been trying to convince Hornsbeck to stop what he was doing; the only reason he'd been locked away instead of killed was that they'd been friends before Z-day.

Dan knew what to do with most. He looked to Fox "These two are abit difficult. I'd prefer not to execute them. The first because no one actually accused him of anything more than being a guard." He nods to the second. "Simon was accused of nothing and I did find him in a cell, unarmed. He was a great help in evacuating the women found in solitary. As no one can actually speak against him as well, I'd say we give them both a chance with an actual trial at the refuge despite the lack of more than one person not vouching for them. "

He nodded. "The others' fates are decided."

Josh hadn't taken his 'divorce' well and Jan kept James between them after that. Though glad to play the gallant James thought it serious overkill. Even without the guards being under guard, Josh was one of the guards James had crunched earlier.

James had spent most of the 'trial' time talking to Helen and Jan. He noted which guards the two accused, but doubted they'd live long enough for him to be vengeful. Fox wasn't in a merciful mood.

At the tail end James commented to Fox and the others, "Simon's easy. Without anyone accusing him and without him being a guard I don't see the point of a trial. The other... if no one other than his wife is willing to vouch for him, that says a lot by omission."

Fox nodded to Dan and James' comments. "Yeah, Simon, you are a free man you may come with us or depart at your leisure. Your choice. To the guard he said, "You will come back with us for an actual trial. If you are found not guilty you'll have the same choice as Simon to stay or leave."

He turned to face the whole crowd and raised his voice so that all could hear. "All of you are welcome to return with us to the Refuge. There you will be given medical attention, food and clothing and whatever supplies you need to make a new start. You can stay at the refuge and become citizens if you wish or go about your business if you choose. As of this moment you are all free again and none of my people will harm you." He gestured to the pile of bodies, "Hornsbeck and his men were the scum of the earth and did not deserve to live. They can never harm you again, but if you do decide to leave and not come with us know that it is dangerous out there and there have been other enclaves of survivors that have gone down dark paths. If you choose to leave then go with my blessing, but be careful."

He turned to his people, "Ok people lets get ready to head home, I'm tired of the stink of this hell hole."

"No!" his wife shouted, clutching her baby tighter. "No, you don't get to kill my husband because he didn't know what it would be like until we were trapped, and he had to do what he had to do to survive! You don't get to soar out of the sky and cram everyone into a guilty or not guilty box based on a bunch of women who have just been abused! They're not credible witnesses! Some of them will say anything, just to see a guard dead! They were fucking prisoners, for God's sake! How can you condemn anyone on their word alone?"

An ugly murmur rose at the desperate woman's words; she got a few glares as her husband begged her to be quiet and stay safe.

Jasmine couldn't tell if the uneasiness she was feeling was because of the fight earlier with the creature and the lingering 'wrongness' she couldn't quite shake.. or if was something about the situation playing out in front of her was bothering her. After discovering her brother's body she'd been more than happy to kill any fool guard who'd stepped into her path. And the things they'd been doing to these women had desperately needed to be stopped, no matter what their past crimes had been.

Perhaps it was just the idea of Fox - a man whom at this point didn't seem to be much of a man of good judgment, despite his good intentions - playing judge and jury to them all. She would have felt better about it if they'd been taken back to the base and held for an actual trial there, had perhaps had it left to the people of the refuge to decide what to do with them. In the end, she realized uncomfortably, she just didn't like the idea of Morgan Fox having that much control over people's lives - even if they deserved to die. And she had an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach that somehow, this was going to turn against him, and make things at the refuge even more tense than they were now.

She turned away from most of the trial, and made her way through the crowds, her eyes scanning all the women there. Eventually she began to speak quietly to some of the women who seemed less involved in the proceedings, women who were willing to speak with her, and even one of the men that had been vouched for. Her conversations were quiet, and she refrained from distracting anyone who was involved in the 'proceedings'.

After a few minutes of this, as the trial was starting to wrap up, she came back over and stood next to Jim. She listened to the woman defending her husband, and considered what he'd probably had to do to be able to survive. She bit back a feeling of uneasiness again, and shook her head, glancing up at Jim. He could tell that the day's events had been hard on the young super, though she'd performed well under the pressure. But the fight with the super-zomb seemed to have taken a bit of a toll on her, and she placed a hand on his arm quietly and murmured quietly, keeping her conversation quiet.

"None of them are here.. I'm not sure how Denali got separated from everyone, but no one else is here. They were shooting any men that approached on sight, for the most part." She sounded both relieved that they hadn't been exposed to the horror, and frustrated that she was once again at a dead end. "I think I'd like to go wait in the Hummer though, if you don't mind. I'm... tired. And it looks like they're about done."

Fox looked at the woman listening to her words, but keeping a stony face. "I'm sure that same argument made the six million jews killed during the holocaust feel much better, as I'm sure it makes the women here who were brutally and repeatedly raped and tortured feel better." He held up his hand and his expression softened by a small degree, "I can understand getting caught up in something unintentionally, and I can understand if you were held hostage against your husbands compliance. Those are mitigating circumstances and I will allow him a full trial, but if he participated in the raping and torture then he deserves to die whether he was pulled in against his intentions or not. Also remember that I can detect lies, any woman here who testifies falsely against your husband will find no refuge with us but will be put out instead."

He looked to the rest of the crowd and called out. "Does anyone here have evidence either on behalf of or against this man? If no one speaks against him we will take him with us for a full trial. Please step forward if you know anything one way or another."

This was not something Fox liked, but there was no place in Zombieworld for long drawn out trials in the old American style with lawyers spending months arguing back and forth minor technicalities. The world wasn't black and white, but there wasn't time or energy to devote to an issue like this, not when it could be solved and finished immediately. It might not sit well with some and he could sense that, but much better than hauling all the rapists back to the Refuge where they might be able to poison the peace of the community there with their filth.

Kristin watched the trial with hard eyes and a grim smile on her lips - it made her look much older than her fifteen years. Her trembling, youthful voice made each word she spoke condemning the guards that she suffered under - and there were a great many - sound that much more chilling. That men could do such things to a young girl - beatings, rapes, sodomy with a painful array of objects, branding, skinning, even crucifixion - was a horror. That Fox heard the ring of truth in Kristin's every word was more horrible still.

Ashley looked at her cousin, barely able to hold back the tears at hearing what she had suffered, only Simon's hand in hers providing her enough strength to keep from running away. That Kristin had undertook that suffering to spare her speared her with guilt and a fierce gratitude that she would never be able to repay.

Kristin watched every execution, never turning her head away. Though that disturbing grin lingered on her lips, her posture conveyed no satisfaction at the results. Her fingers kept prying at her steel collar, but she couldn't wrench it asunder. Instead, she merely twisted the metal, and it began to dig into her neck, a bright, thin crimson thread flowing down her throat and under her shirt.

When Ashley spoke in defense of Simon, Kristin slowly turned her face, regarding her cousin with terrible, green eyes. Ashley took a step back from that blazing gaze, then firmed her spine, chin tilted, and stared right back, resolved to stand her ground. Kristin simply looked away, a hand balled in a fist, and Ashley let out a breath she hadn't been aware she was holding.

She laid a hand on Kristin's hard shoulder, trying to comfort her, and felt her trembling with silent sobs she refused to show. Kristin was still prying at her collar, the flow of blood thickening, her breath starting to wheeze with a constricted airflow.

Ashley turned from her cousin, quickly looking for Dr. Shattuck. "Please Doctor, my cousin, she's hurting herself."

Fox also noticed and cursed under his breath that he hadn't had time to deal with it before. Calling out, "James, I need you here now!"

When James hurried over Fox spoke, "Kristin. Let James and I try to get that collar off, please. You're causing yourself to bleed. We don't want you to be hurt any longer."

((Fox will wait to see if Kristin will agree, if so he and James can try prying it off one on each side. It shouldn't have hinges strong enough to thwart two guys with mega strength, and working together they should be able to prevent it from biting into her neck any more.))

Myfwany stood apart during the executions, with Hana over past the humvee so that the vehicle blocked out what was happening...though the noises were still too clear. Though it was hard to feel sympathy for the guards, she still squirmed inside. The lack of process, the feeling that this was some kind of frontier justice, carried out by one man's desire for revenge rather than the will and consensus of the people...it weighed on her. Right or wrong, Fox was on a crusade now, and not even Heaven could help those he believed were culpable.

"God save us from the moral man," she said to herself quietly. That wasn't exactly how it went, but it was something like that.

Then someone called her name, and she squeezed Hana's shoulder. "That's my pager," she said with a smile. "Stay here and I'll be right back."

Myf then headed swiftly for the call, pausing only to grab some things from the nearly depleted medical kits at the humvee. On seeing Kristin's predicament she swore under her breath and rushed to her side with a gauze pad in one hand and a disinfectant in the other.

James shrugged at the 'gray' man's predicament. He had some sympathy but viewed it as Fox's problem. He could see both sides and without a personal stake he'd let 'Justice' play out then compliment Fox on his wisdom. He didn't pay attention to the executions because he trusted Dan to not miss.

The women's testimony... was grim. Human monsters in a 6 month long z-week. We needed to come here, we should have done so earlier. Other than that I'm happy with how this had turned out. A lost shirt and a beating from a zom-blob are a fair trade for pulling people out of hell. Make that partly out of hell.

James looked around and thought, Yep, my repulsive field is still holding. I move somewhere, the women move away. It's like a dog on a leash in a park with ducks. I'm who and what I am and lots of these women carry hell inside of them. There's a few exceptions, under the stress, fatigue, and scars, I think Jan and Helen will clean up pretty well.

Quote:
Calling out, "James, I need you here now!"

When James hurried over Fox spoke, "Kristin. Let James and I try to get that collar off, please. You're causing yourself to bleed. We don't want you to be hurt any longer."

James looked at the collar and said, "There's an easier way, let me get four fingers on one point and I'll just snap it. Hold still for a moment." James held up two pair of thumb and forefinger pressed together.

Hana looked up at Myfwany with wide searching eyes as the doctor moved away, but she did nothing to stop her.

Every rifle crack had made her start and tremble. All those men were just being put down like mean dogs. It's okay. Hana tried to tell herself, repeating the little mantra in her head. I'm safe. She watched Myfwany walking to the crazed girl with the metal collar and sank back behind the protection of the Humvee.

People were dangerous. The closer she was to them, the harder it was to fight back the cold dark inside of her. And what if she couldn't fight it? What if it came pouring out of her again? Hana gulped and hugged herself hard. I won't let it happen. She vowed. Besides, as bad as people were, it was worse to be alone. Always watching, always waiting, always holding your breath and hoping something bad and awful wouldn't find you, but knowing all the time that eventually it would.

Or maybe, Hana thought, that was just what she was telling herself to make it sound okay, because she wanted a plate of food and a bed to sleep in and some hot water to shower with. It was weird how little things like that became so important...how they made you drop your guard.

I won't ever drop my guard.

Kristin stared blankly into the distance, shivering, not in cold, but from the memories of Paradise assailing her, when she suddenly noticed Fox and James approaching her, one man a leader - like Master, but hopefully different - and the other very large and strong - she had seen those weird black flames.

Adrenaline began pumping, the flight or fight reflex surging. She pulled her hand away from the hated collar, muscles tensed, quivering, not sure which instinct would prevail inside her. Only Ashley's gentle hand and calming whispers kept her from reacting... in a most likely disastrous fashion. When Myfwany reached her side, Kristin calmed even further.

Still, after Fox and James made their offer to remove the collar, Kristin jade eyes were wide and hot. She was obviously terrified of them, and even more angry at being scared. Slowly, after several deep, painful breaths, she nodded, tensed but still.

"Oh - Okay. I won't move." Kristin pulled her chin-length hair up, then stretched her neck as much as she could, exposing the battered and welded steel tight around her throat.

With little fanfare, James stepped forward and pinched the collar between his thumbs and forefingers and squeezed. The was a soft squeal, then a snap as the metal gave under the force of James' grip. Other than a red mark on her neck, cause by the heat of the distressed steel, Kristin seemed otherwise unharmed.

Indeed, as Myfwany bent down to tend to the poor girl, she shook her head in surprise - and surprised that she was surprised. There was no sign of chaffing, despite the evident amount of time Kristin had worn the tight collar, and the wound from the bent steel biting into her neck was already closing, its edges a soft pink, the bleeding slowing to a trickle.

Kristin glared at the piece of mangled steel in James' hand, then felt at her throat, a wondrous, ecstatic grin on her face, her eyes bright.

"It's - it's gone!" she whispered in disbelieving awe. She looked at James with sheer gratitude, and for a moment, he thought she would hug him, but she just couldn't bring herself to do it. "I - thank-you, sir! Very, very much."

Kristin considered the three adults there, suffering Myfwany's ministrations with poor grace, before working up enough courage to ask a question of the Master of this group of people. Hornsbeck said he could smell lies, but he couldn't fly or have a guard who could rip steel apart.

"Uh, sir, mister... Fox... can me and Ash get our pick-up and go back to our camp, now? We were looking for our fathers when we got... caught here... and - and maybe they made it back while we were... gone."

Originally Posted By: Jasmine Gentian
"I think I'd like to go wait in the Hummer though, if you don't mind. I'm... tired. And it looks like they're about done."

"Of course." Bond turned to walk alongside her back to the Falcon, putting a comforting arm around Jasmine's shoulders as they went. If he was at all aware that he was telegraphing that he and the mocha-skinned girl were 'more than just friends', the merc didn't seem to care.

The two of them sat in the Hummer while Fox and Co dealt out their justice. Bond watched idly from the driver's seat, his ice-blue eyes unmoved by the executions. If he had any opinion on the situation, he didn't offer it to his lovely companion.

Originally Posted By: Kristin Mackenzie
Kristin glared at the piece of mangled steel in James' hand, then felt at her throat, a wondrous, ecstatic grin on her face, her eyes bright.

"It's - it's gone!" she whispered in disbelieving awe. She looked at James with sheer gratitude, and for a moment, he thought she would hug him, but she just couldn't bring herself to do it. "I - thank-you, sir! Very, very much."
James bowed and said gallantly, "You're very welcome." Almost a hug there if it that doesn't do it then nothing will. Like most of the others, she's reacting like she's a duck and I'm a dog.

James pinched the metal ends back together again and looked at it, then tossed it frisbee-like into the distance. So much pain in that thing. Best it rusts into nothing somewhere.

Quote:
"Uh, sir, mister... Fox... can me and Ash get our pick-up and go back to our camp, now? We were looking for our fathers when we got... caught here... and - and maybe they made it back while we were... gone."
James looked at Fox and said, "Umm... Kristin?" Great. Time to bring more pain into the world... of course I could be wrong. Miracles do happen. Yeah, the world has been filled with them and they're hungry for flesh. The writing for this is solidly on the wall.

"You're free to go... but if your fathers were around here... odds are they ran into Hornsbeck. He had an open mass grave out there, you... might want to start there."

Dan stopped. He looked at James and virtually everyone could see the anger in his eyes. That he'd mention that so soon after freeing the women from the prison agitated the otherwise reserved Marine. "James is that something you really had to mention right now?"

He understood the reasoning, but this young girl's psyche was likely very fragiole at the moment, and his comment was wholly inappropriate.

Fox refrained from putting a comforting hand on the girl's shoulder. Women in a situation like this probably would see it at as threatening rather than comforting.

"Kristin, you and Ashley are free to go whenever you wish. We will give you a map in case you want to visit the refuge. You are welcome to come and live there if you want." Fox thought the timing of James' comment about the mass grave could have been better, but he was right. Chances were good that if their men had come anywhere near the prison they were in that ditch with the others.

"Only one thing before you go. I need Simon to tell me straight out." He looked at the man, "Did you take part in any rape, murder, torture, abuse or other cruel acts in your time here." He hoped the man could answer honestly that he had not for the girl's sake.

Archived