Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): In the Shadows of the City - Chapter 4 Session 2: What Remains...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The battle raged on around her and Kaori glimpsed how swiftly and efficiently her 'team' acted when they all listened and worked together instead of divided. They were winning and there were few to no injuries on their side while the Panzer's numbers depleted swiftly. For the briefest moment her heart found joy in the cause she was fighting for it wasn't clouded and she didn't fight with hatred in her heart...

Click to reveal.. (Memory Flashback)
"T-they're too difficult Grandfather." A young short haired girl said to he man standing next her. She gripped a bokken, poorly, and swung lazily about at the air. "Nothing happens. The techniques are too hard. This is stupid."

The old man laughed. He several feet away on a blanket with his legs crossed eating a sandwich from a large wicker basket. "Kaori, my dear, you must learn to focus your Ki. Swinging it about like that solves nothing!" He chuckled some more at the young girls antics.

"What's 'ki'?" The young girl asked, calming down from her flailing just enough to look her grandfather. "Daddy... I mean Father, says I shouldn't be learning the Ryouichi-Ryuu, he's still mad at you."

"Ki is the circulating life energy inherent in all things, Kaori." He glared at her with his ancient brow furrowed. "And your father is a fool, I'd no idea I raised such a stubborn man. You will learn the arts, for as long as I still draw breath I decide upon whom the secrets shall be passed."

She flailed around a bit a bit more, stopping to focus only briefly before letting fly a sideways arc directed down into the fields ahead. The winds swept up and bent the long stalks of wild grass. The leaves rustled swiftly and violently for the briefest of moments and her grandfather placed his hand on his head to keep his hat from blowing away.

Kaori's shoulders slumped and the bokken's tip tapped upon the soft Spring soil. Disappointment took hold of her features as not a single blade of grass was sheared in front of her... "Father says I should be with Mom learning to take care of the house. I'm not good at this stuff Grandfather, Father says I'll neve master the Ryouichi-Ryuu. He's probably right."

"Kaori, come, sit by your grandfather and hear him." As she approached he handed her a sandwich and a juice bottle. He smiled as he looked at the young girl. "People underestimate their capacity for change. I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. I apply all my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I strain my potential until it cries for mercy."

She listened, but she didn't understand. There in the shade of the large tree Kaori and her grandfather finished their picnic. He never told her that above the tall grass, farther than she could, the bushes that lined the next hillside she had sheared cleanly with nothing but a bokken and her capacity for change...

I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand... She rembered those words and reached deep within.

Onimaru swelled with power, but for once it was not the power of the blade, but its wielder. A torrent of winds swelled up around the onna-bugeisha. The sheer amount of Ki that she drew in around her was almost enough to make the others sick as their life forces were disrupted by the sudden flux of the world's life stream.

She slashed at a Panzer and from her blade formed the razor winds that her troupe has grown to accept as her 'gift', but once they struck a completely new effect had been witnessed.

She pushed off with her foot the moment the razor winds left the blade and she followed them with blinding speed. "Ryouichi-Ryuu!"

Once they struck the area surrounding the pander exploded into a greyish funnel of torrential winds that scooped up the panzer and held him firm in the air. Kaori was right behind it though, leaping into the winds the gust swept her up with blinding speed granting more power to sword strike as she flew ever upwards. Her sword struck cleanly across the Panzer's body as she soared past it to opposite end of the funnel cloud. Her foot tapped the 'wall' of the funnel and she soared back to the panzer held firmly in the center. Four times she cross slashed the Panzer within the tornado before it expelled her. She tore through it's greyish outter wall of dust and debris landing firmly upon solid ground after a dramatic flip.

The funnel condensed, collapsing in on it's center where the Panzer still hovered until it was nothing more than a sphere that cocooned her target within. One by one white slashes sheared through the orb and it exploded into a clap of thunder. The Panzer was gone.

"Five Winds Shattering." She said calmly as Onimaru clicked calmly back into its place within its scabbard.

Click to reveal..

(Kaori Attack 1) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,6 +12 = 24 (Hundred Razored Wind Technique, All Out Attack)

(Tiger Demon Defense 1) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,2 +7 = 10

Critical Strike!

Damage = 327!

Weapon 10 + Technique 10 + 9 = 109 x 3 = 327.

Critical Hit doubles damage, Critical Strike Combat Technique increases the multiplier by 1.

(Kaori Attack 2) Kaori doesn't take a second attack, the technique took a lot out of her.

(Kaori Attack 3) Kaori Doesn't take a third attack, the technique took a lot out of her.

(Kaori Defense 1) rolls 2d6 and gets 3,5 +6 = 14

(Kaori Defense 2) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,4 +6 = 16

-3 for Defense this turn has already been applied.

Skye smiled grimly as the tiger fell to Kaori's blazing attack. The sheer beauty of it, it's raw force and power amazed the young German, and her shout of, "Kamikazi! Fury of the Western Wind!" had more oomph.

The tigers looked up and hissed as wicked shards of ice flew through the air, headed right for them. They didn't have room to dodge her attack, and the shards tore into them, splattering foul blood and gore. When the terrible attack was over, one Panzer lay dead, the mighty body torn and limp. The other Tiger remained on its feet, and it roared its Unholy defiance to the group.

Click to reveal.. (Skye's Rolls)
Skye's Attack

6,1 + 11 = 18

Tiger's Defense:

First Tiger: 10 + 10 = 20, Miss, area attack, half damage, 40 Damage before armor

Second Tiger: 5 + 10 = 15, Hit, 81 Damage before armor

Skye's First Defense: 7 + 8 = 15

Skye's Second Defense: 8 + 8 = 16

Following the death of both of its compatriots the Panzer opened its mouth a final time,charging straight for Keiko. It's eyes Flashed as lasers shot forth and its claws bazed in the moonlight.

Click to reveal..

Dodge check laser DC 16 Damage 40

Dodge Check claws DC 18 Damage 30

Keiko stood in open-mouthed awe at Kaori and Skye's displays of martial talent. For the first time, she wondered if maybe she would be well served by studying more than purely defensive aikido... But then she had call to demonstrate that art as well!

The sudden blaze of light in the corner of her eye was all the warning she had...or needed. No sooner had she seen it than she was bending backwards, letting the laser beam slash over her; cutting through space she'd occupied a split second before.

Unfortunately, this awkward pose made it harder to avoid the followup shot. It scraped along the protective field, burning a red line across her abdomen...but not a bad one.

She yelped and slapped a hand to it, then glared at the monster.

(Defenses: 17 and 17. One hit. Force field at 24 so she takes 6 damage. Shield now at 20.)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2227331/

Jim took a deep breath and checked the extent of his injuries, then looked around at his colleagues, "Lets get healed up and on our way. We don't want him to have time to prepare more for us."

He frowns and does a more carefull look around, "Hang on, where's Ken?"

Kenichi stared in awe at his three female companions and felt pretty damn small compared to them, he kept it to himself anyway.

"Goodie, we have free pass now, unfortunetly I doubt anybody missed the light show and sounds of battle, so we have to be-" He was interrupted by Jim's question. "...Where IS Ken? Wasn't him behind us after he threw the granade?"

"Who cares?" Kaori's tone carried the emotionless tone they'd grown to love. "Ken is useless in a battle without his summoned demon. He's a liability where we're going. Our goal is the Demon Lord, not a hunt for the inept."

She took a moment to rebind her long blueish-black hair back into a pony tail. "Our world is being destroyed by these demons and we don't have time to waste on him. The things which are precious are saved only by sacrifice."

Jim nods to Keiko, "No, we shouldn't leave him behind, but look around, there is no sign of where he could have gone. In this case Kaori is correct, we need to press on and get rid of this guy, then we can think about what might have happend to Ken."

"We are all expendable, our task is the destruction of the Demon Lords." She stepped forward and approached the german woman. "Were I in Ken's place right now I would hope that my 'comrades' would be consider the needs of the people of this city far more than they would consider my own and drop everything to stage some rescue."

"perhaps you are correct and we'll find the fool among the Demon Lord to be used as some bargaining chip to prolong his own existence." A sadistic grin formed on her lips as she looked at Skye. "Unlike the rest of you, I don't negotiate with demons. If I have to go through Ken to get to it, rest assured, I will."

Keiko hesitates...but finally realizes the other two are probably right in this case. She had no magic to find a missing person, and without their help she'd be easy pickings. And without her help, the others would be much more vulnerable.

"All right," she agrees quietly. "I'm coming."

"It knows we're here." She said a few steps later. She'd let the matter of Ken go, there wasn't any point in debating it. Had they not been on more pressing business she'd have agreed to split off and help find Ken, but this group lacked focused and when something happened that wasn't expected they easily lost sight of their goals. It sometimes hurt to be the Devil's Advocate, but it was necessary in order to keep the group focused on the more important tasks. She walked ahead and didn't turn to face anyone particular as she finished her thoughts. "To prevent any further disappearances pair up. Jim, stay close to Keiko. Kenichi, you're with Skye. Keep each other in sight at all times, fight back to back if you must."

She knew there was no one to pair up with her, with Ken gone there was only five of them now. Deep inside she wondered if Ken was slain by his captors. The dark thoughts clung tightly to the pit of her stomach because a piece of her, if what she thought of Ken's death was true, envied him...

Her grip on Onimaru tightened and she pressed on swiftly, giving no one time to look at anything but her back.

"Kaori, wait up." Kenichi moved in between her and Skye, trying to keep both in her field of vision. "You can't talk about avoiding to split off and then walking so determinedly. I'm all in favor of the strongest fighter among us to go as the spear point, but not everyone is as brave and bold as you." Kenichi went back to stand besides Skye.

Kenich started to talk from over his shoulder again "Determination to hold a goal above everything else is enviable, I wish I had it." That said, he turned to look at Kaori once again. "But not when it turns into an obsession and gives us tunnel vision, we won't help anybody in this city without helping ourselves into the correct position first. So lets go all together, that Demon Lord won't vanquish himself."

The troop made it inside the building they'd come to investigate without much further combat, Kaori and Jim easily handle the creatures that came forward, giving Keiko's protective aura a chance to replenish its power.

Finally the young team reached the Tiger's den, There were three Panzers there, and numerous egglike structures along the wall, some with humanoid forms, others with feline forms within their translucent folds.

Standing at the core of the Den is a Woman, though not quite. She had obvious feline features, including a long tiger's tail and her claws were wreathed with golden fire.

"Soo the young champions have braved my Den to try and bring me to Heel? I will not go down like that weak bitch of a sister you slew the other night."

her Panzers took up flanking positions and they growled in eagerness for the fight.

(Initiative checks please. Once we have that we will begin and post in the order I provide."

Jim readies his sword, Holy Touch in one hand, leaving the other free for the weapon starts planning to create.

Click to reveal..

Init = +9 with Swords

(15:34:39) ChatBot: (Jim) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,1.+9 = 14

He going to create the Sword given as an example in the Character thread and use his Two Weapon technique - Once I go look it up wink

He will assume that kaori will go for the Demonlord, and that they should take out the Panzers as quickly as they can before joining the attack on the Demonlord.

Onimaru clicked slightly out from it's sheath with a slight nudge from Kaori's thumb. "No," Kaori said calmly. "You will not go down like she did. I will see to it your pain is legendary and suffering unbearable before your soul is sealed, and you will remain that way for eternity."

Kaori grinned and placed her hand across Onimaru's handle gripping it tightly. "She got off easy."

Click to reveal..
(Kaori) rolls 2d6 and gets 3,5 + 9 = 17

Kenichi reared himself, being this close to a Demon Head was driving his blood into a rage, and his fist where shaking with anticipation.

"Let's do this, I have a bone to pick and that person is higher than you in the pecking order Honey."

Click to reveal..
Kenichi Init: [2,2,11] = (15)

The demon lord stood there, gathering her power around her, obviously tensing to strike, analyzying each of the Heroes against her and her brood.

(She is holding one of her actions, the remainder are used analyzing the party.)

(the posting order is as Follows)

(20) 7th Head, (18) Keiko, (17) Panzer 1, Panzer 2, Kaori, (15) Kenichi, (14) Jim, Skye, (12) Panzer 3

Keiko made a cage with her fingers around the amulet hanging from her neck and opened her mouth to invoke Amateratsu. But then seeing the demon lord pause seemed to make her hesitate as well. She eyed the panzers, then nodded with a grim expression.

(Delaying action until the panzers attack. At that time, I'll use the Soul Drain attack)

(Oh, and the force field is up, of course. :))

The onna-bugeisha's stance was cautious a her grip on Onimaru tightened. Carefully she assessed the Demons stance and attempted to ascertain a general strategy either to be used by, or against the Demon Lord.

"Remember," she said softly, and for once there seemed to be a hint of honest nobility in her words. "Jim, protect Keiko, Kenichi, protect Skye. Their survival is imperative to our success. Mine, however, is not. Should I fall, do not leave their side for my sake."

There was something in her words, her voice, and it hung heavy in the air. Kaori was afraid, she'd battled one of these beasts before, and it didn't go well. Her heart was heavy with a lack of confidence as she was haunted by images of her chaotic and unskilled party being torn to ribbons by their own short comings. "It is not up for protest, so be silent on the issue." She sighed and steeled herself. "We are here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Apply all your efforts to become the highest mountain of all and strain your potential until it cries for mercy." A slender grin formed on her lips.

And then she was gone.

Like a shot she darted forward, her blade slashing twice in rapid succession as it left it's sheath launching a cascading blast of torrential rending winds that seemed like whirling circular blades.

Click to reveal..
(Kaori Attack 1) Judge Opponent

(Kaori Attack 2) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,5 + 9 = 18

Hundred Razor Wind Technique to the Demon Lord

(Kaori Attack 3) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,1 +9 = 11

Hundred Razor Wind Technique to the Demon Lord

(Kaori Defense 1) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,1 +9 = 16

(Kaori Defense 2) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,4 +9 = 15

Kaori's first attack sliced the Lord Horribly, but her keen awareness of her opponent knew that it would take much more to put her down. It was even more shocking when the Demon Lord Caught her hand on her second strike and directed the technique away from herself.

The Lord responded Viciously with her second hand, her burning claws slashing up Kaori's ches, shreding her outfit and sending her flying. (50 damage penetrating 3 peircing 3)

The Two Panzer's flanking her Launched eyebeam attacks at Kenichi and Skye. (40 damage or make Defense checs VS 13 for Kenichi, 17 for Skye)

Next up is Kenichi

Kenichi cursed to his insides, Does a single word I say to this woman gets through to that Bokken shaped brain of hers?

One of the Panzers took this moment of tought for an opening and blasted Kenichi with it's eye powers. Only God knows what that thing can do to you if it hits you, Kenichi almost found out as the beam was barely dodged and burnt his right cheek with a straight line across the tip of it.

The other one blasted at Skye, this was all the information he needed, Kenichi was tasked by their Defacto Leader into protecting Skye, and he would do his darnest to pull it off. Rushing towards the Panzer, Kenichi opted to turn his whole body into a weapon and tackled the creature trying to push it both away from Skye and away from Kaori's fight area, crashing into the Panzer with all his might, he could feel it how he had tackled it on just the right moment.

Click to reveal..

Ranged Defense vs Panzer's Eyelazor:

(15:57:45) ChatBot: (Kenichi) rolls 2d6+5 and gets (6,2) +5 = 13.

Melee attack vs The Panzer who attacked Skye:

(20:14:43) ChatBot: (DrKultra) rolls 2d6 and gets (6,6)+10 * 22

Woo! Boxcars!

Damage: (5 WL * 5DM) +5 MAB = 30 Damage *2 Crit = 60, yay my crits do half the damage Kaori does XD.

(Skye and Jim, you guys are up!)

Jim creates the sword he had planned, another razor sharp katana which catches the light, such that a rainbow of colors shows down its blade as Jim leaps at the last Panzer, attacking with both magical blades.

Click to reveal..

1st Action

Created Rainbow blade Sword.

WL 12, Multidimensional, +3 Accuracy

2nd Action

Leap Attack with Two Weapons (no penalty for Two Weapons as has the Combat Tech, and Ambidextrous)

Holy Touch attack

(09:22:57) ChatBot: (Jim) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,1.+7 = 13

Damage would be 77 ignoring all armour/forcefields

Rainbow Blade attack

(09:23:34) ChatBot: (Jim) rolls 2d6 and gets 3,5.+10 = 18

Damage would be 94

3 defence rolls

(09:29:21) ChatBot: (Jim) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,4.+5 = 11

(09:29:26) ChatBot: (Jim) rolls 2d6 and gets 3,1.+5 = 10

(09:29:31) ChatBot: (Jim) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,4.+5 = 14

And now he gets skewered wink

The panzer's eyebeam arced toward her, bouncing through her forcefield and crackling to nothing on Keiko's. Skye flinched reflexively, but she was battle-hardened enough to not let this stop her. And much as she wanted to attack the tiger for attacking her, she didn't. Instead, she cried, "Fury of the Northern Wind!" and threw the icy blast at the Demon Lord.

Click to reveal..
Skye's attack: 15

2d6+12=15

Skye's defense: 14, needed a 17, 40 Damage

2d6+8=14

Skye's other two defenses (ignore third roll, did it in error):

Keiko realized abruptly that Kaori wasn't in range of her protection...and that the demons she was fighting were too far as well. She clamped down on the fear...she was a warrior; a priestess of the Sun. She would do what she had to do.

The slight miko ran forward until she was in the exact geomantic center of the battle. Then she locked eyes with the demon lord and cried out.

"Amateratsu-kamisama! Hear the voice of your chosen!"

She lifted her amulet up.

"Here is one of Orochi's heads. Shine down with all your fury on one who would unmake the world!"

And from overhead, the gentle radiance that gave protection became a searing white spotlight so bright it cast no shadows...yet it didn't interfere with the vision of the humans, nor harm them.

The demons were not so lucky. The battlefield was rent by their howls of anguish, and the sizzling noise of their flesh...their very souls...sizzling and burning away under Amateratsu's terrible gaze. A thick smell like hamburgers and tires burning began to fill the air.

(17 to hit, Flare 3 and Drain Soul 3, demons only)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2261772/

Kenichi's attack stunned the Panzer, and he heard the satisfying sound of bone cracking under the impact of the blow.

Jim's attack with the Rainbow blade connects, while the slash with Holy touch misses, slicing only air.

Ice held the Demon Lord, but she only grunted in pain.

Keiko's attack hit all the demons, blinding all three panzers and affecting them, but through unfortunate fate, the Demon Lord was unaffected by it.

"I'll tear out your heart, you little witch." Using phenomenal strength she broke free from the ice and dashed towards Keiko, growing larger and morphing int a tiger even larger than the panzers.

She stopped by the priestesses and lashed out out at both of them with claws, fangs and the blades on her tail.

((Keiko Dodge 15 for (50 damage) bite 17 for Claw (50, penetrating/peircing 3) Skye dodge 20 for tail blade (50 peircing 2)))

New round has begun Keiko you'll be up again after your defenses.

(Keiko's defense rolls are 18 and 14, she dodges the first attack, and is hit by the second for 50-(40-12)=22 damage.)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2267246/

Keiko desperately lunges sideways to avoid the teeth of the demon, but isn't fast enough to evade the followup claw that slashes through her protection and robes alike to cut at her flesh!

She stumbles back from it and directs a blast of sheer radiance from her amulet at the demonic thing, engulfing it in the sun's fire!

(Attack is 15 (forgot it's Accurate)...and is Spreading so it's a little harder to defend against. Damage is 75, with Flare 1. Forcefield is now at 36 for everyone.)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2267259/

Blood trickled from the open wounds across her chest but the young warrior refused to yield. Gritting her teeth and focusing her efforts a battle of titans ensued as the Light battled the Dark.

She tried not to let the battle below distract her and swiftly she sliced through the demon lord's defenses.

Click to reveal..

(Kaori Attack 1) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,6 + 9 = 17

Standard Attack to the Demon Lord

(Kaori Attack 2) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,6 + 9 = 17

(Kaori Attack 3) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,2 +9 = 17

(Kaori Defense 1) rolls 2d6 and gets 6,3 + 9 = 18

(Kaori Defense 2) rolls 2d6 and gets 1,1 + 9 = 11

Health: 65/75

Jim swears back at Kenichi as he moves to try to cover Keiko from the Demonlord on one side and the last Panzer on the other.

"I would have done, if she hadn't run towards the Kaori and the Lord!"

Delaying action to try to intercept attacks on Keiko, inclined to leave the Lord to Kaori and finish off the Panzer first.

All three of Kaori's attacks miss, though only by a hair's breadth. The panzers let ther master handle the lone girl, and instead turned on the others, even as their essesnce was ebbing away. Both opened fire with lasers and claws.

( Skye Dodge lasers damage 40 penetrating 3 peircing 3 DC 17

Keiko Dodge Lasers damage 40 pne 3 pierce 3 DC 16

Jim dodge claws d 30 DC 18

Ken dodge claws d 30 DC 19)

Archived