Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Legacy OOC

Joani

One thing... while this side-track is fun, at some point I'd like to return to the real. I'm getting comfortable in this role, but to be honest I've not had time to get to know this character in the normal world and my roleplay might get tainted by this experience.

I've had to put "LaGrangian" on hold until I can get things straight in my head here. At some point, we gotta get this story pushing to where it needs to be.

I signed up to be your gadgeteer genius, not your elvish artificer. :P

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hee...I'm sorry man.

It's just...last I saw the dragon was going off without us, leaving Echo at this magic crystal scrying thingy with no clear goals except to wait for everyone to get back together so we can figure out what to do.

there were 2 Dragons - that's why I gave them different names. Alamaise the Green Dragon left with Arcana and Nixx - Mountainshadow, a black/blueish Dragon left now, after no one showed interest to go with her.

Anyway - I should've made 3 threads...

I apologize for lack of updates - been a tough week for me. I am back at work on monday and depending on how the weekend exhausts me (I'm at the new apartment and painting the ceiling and walls.)

Hang tight - I will put things on track very soon.

Ok – updates coming soon but first some announcement hopefully smoothing things out and prepare you to what will come.

I have planned a large battle of rather ´Epic´ scale for the current issue. I won’t simulate the mass-combat, though – I’ll grant you dramatic editing rights for the large combat and you can make use of power stunts etc. as you cut through the enemies line like a hot knife through butter.

BUT – there will be `Boss-fights´ - which will be handled in normal combat rounds. Those Bosses will be obvious large targets (Ogres, MageLords and Summoned Demon-Lords mostly) and (hopefully) pose some danger to you. Depending on how fast you defeat those the combat may turn in your favour or against your favour – I will create a seperate Thread which will keep you updated on how the war is going. Should you suffer 3 defeats in a row (Defeat meaning you retreat to recover or have been actually knocked out), then the MageLords will take the Ivory Tower, where the final combat will start.

Should you defeat a certain number of ´Bosses` (I won’t tell how many), the offensive will be fought off and depending on your decision you either let them flee or follow up to finish them off (in which case a final combat will start, too).

I know some of the PCs aren’t as Combat-Proficient as the others – you guys will get a chance to ride one of the Dragon-Witches which I will post soonish under the NPC section. There is a catch, though – should a Dragon-Witch fall (defeated in combat vs. Boss) it will cause in loss of a PL for all other Dragon-Witches. Their survival is a key element in this war.

--

I will now update the thread and hopefully put things back on track for you all. If you have questions, please ask them or PM me if it is something you don’t want to share with the others.

You are at the Ivory Tower with Echo - or now with everyone except for Morgannia and Nixx.

There is a plateau which is surrounded by white pillars assembled in a half circle. In the center of said circle is a pillar with a bowl on top of it. That bowl is filled with crystals that reflect in all kinds of colors. Echo seems to be able to interface with that in one way or the other since she was able to use it like a holographic unit you are familiar with "back home". It is something like the HQ of the Dragon Witches.

And sorry about that blue - I will try to find a darker version for future posts.

Okay I've read this here, and I thought I'd drop some advice.

Originally Posted By: Joani
I have planned a large battle of rather ´Epic´ scale for the current issue. I won’t simulate the mass-combat, though – I’ll grant you dramatic editing rights for the large combat and you can make use of power stunts etc. as you cut through the enemies line like a hot knife through butter.

BUT – there will be `Boss-fights´ - which will be handled in normal combat rounds. Those Bosses will be obvious large targets (Ogres, MageLords and Summoned Demon-Lords mostly) and (hopefully) pose some danger to you. Depending on how fast you defeat those the combat may turn in your favour or against your favour – I will create a seperate Thread which will keep you updated on how the war is going. Should you suffer 3 defeats in a row (Defeat meaning you retreat to recover or have been actually knocked out), then the MageLords will take the Ivory Tower, where the final combat will start.

Should you defeat a certain number of ´Bosses` (I won’t tell how many), the offensive will be fought off and depending on your decision you either let them flee or follow up to finish them off (in which case a final combat will start, too).

This could end badly for three reasons.

1: This combat will probably depend on everyone being present probably for a 3 day period. If one person is unavailable for a week stretch (like my situation, since I'm only really available Tuesdays and Wednesdays) this could delay the fight and draw out this complex climax further. What's worse is if the person not available is the linch-pin of the combat and completely causes the battle to fall apart?

2: Having it where if 1 of the heroes fails three times in combat to trigger a final battle is a bad idea. Because what if all the heroes are unconscious when the final battle begins? Or worse we lose half our number? Are you prepared for a game-killing finale?

3: This:

Quote:
I know some of the PCs aren’t as Combat-Proficient as the others – you guys will get a chance to ride one of the Dragon-Witches which I will post soonish under the NPC section. There is a catch, though – should a Dragon-Witch fall (defeated in combat vs. Boss) it will cause in loss of a PL for all other Dragon-Witches. Their survival is a key element in this war.

So if I got this straight, the only thing that can even things out for the squishies in the team is something that can lose power if a string of bad rolls happen to someone else? This could spell a bad end. Particularly if ALL the Dragon Witches are rendered moot.

To be honest I can see the ambition in this, but I'm now seeing the many ways this can be a bad end.

This is the perfect time to reconsider your plan, and simplify it where there isn't any one failure of a cog that can potentially end the game. I'm not posting this as an attack, I just think I should be that watchman on the frontier, before this goes down. I wanna help here.

Originally Posted By: Aeonian
Okay I've read this here, and I thought I'd drop some advice.

This could end badly for three reasons.

1: This combat will probably depend on everyone being present probably for a 3 day period. If one person is unavailable for a week stretch (like my situation, since I'm only really available Tuesdays and Wednesdays) this could delay the fight and draw out this complex climax further. What's worse is if the person not available is the linch-pin of the combat and completely causes the battle to fall apart?

I would split up the group into 3 or 4 probably and put everyone in his/her own thread then. If a group runs slower than the others that won’t pose much of a general problem them. I won’t penalise anyone for not being able to post – in worst case I repeat the last action or make a standard attack and roll the dice in your stead. A longer absence could be dealt with via PM (giving me a general idea of what the PC would and wouldn’t do).

2: Having it where if 1 of the heroes fails three times in combat to trigger a final battle is a bad idea. Because what if all the heroes are unconscious when the final battle begins? Or worse we lose half our number? Are you prepared for a game-killing finale?

Let me emphasize one point. This game is a game about heroes with you being said heroes. In the (possible) case that dice are cursed and cause an unreasonable chain of events which would lead to the death of someone I’d certainly take that into account instead of pulling through and make some unreasonable decisions based on a chain of bad rolls.

Additionally – should you really lose 3 times in a row (Maybe I make it 4) it would lead to a final battle at the Ivory Tower (it still doesn’t mean defeat). You can still win this last fight (since you all be in one large group by then) – AND you would all have enough time to have recovered by then.

I expect you guys to win this thing but I also want to pose some challenge to you and give you a feeling of accomplishing something and not just roll some dice and know that you’re safe. I won’t kill this game (or any PC) based on the events of a FUBARed battle – I will certainly look for a different option to keep the game going (unless a PC tells me that he thinks it would be a great death/sacrifice scene if he/she feels like it.)

3: This:

Quote:

So if I got this straight, the only thing that can even things out for the squishies in the team is something that can lose power if a string of bad rolls happen to someone else? This could spell a bad end. Particularly if ALL the Dragon Witches are rendered moot.

To be honest I can see the ambition in this, but I'm now seeing the many ways this can be a bad end.

This is the perfect time to reconsider your plan, and simplify it where there isn't any one failure of a cog that can potentially end the game. I'm not posting this as an attack, I just think I should be that watchman on the frontier, before this goes down. I wanna help here.

I understand your concern and your feedback is very appreciated – I have changed my mind in the past and I’m not opposed to changing it again if I see the same issues like you do. Like I mentioned above – I’m not the type of GM/ST to plot against the PCs, never been like that and never will. I’m trying to strike a balance between fun, entertainment, challenge and not drift into boredom because you feel (know) you’re invincible.

Bad decisions or sometimes even bad rolls should have their consequences but I won’t make the future of this game dependent on a series of bad rolls. I know that TK for example suffered from an unusual stroke of bad rolls which certainly changed to PC in some way since she is really doubting her abilities – but I would’ve never gone as far as kill her off because of that. Only if her decision to face an obviously superior enemy alone (with enough warnings on my side to flee) would make me pull through, even if it meant to kill a PC.

It is not my motivation to fuck PCs up with something that they have absolutely no control of. I can only ask you to trust me but there has to be some risk, some challenge to make it interesting and exciting. My major focus for this epic battle is to grant you editing rights as you successfully fight off the intruders. The Boss-Fights should be taken a bit more seriously and I think 3 Defeats in a row (in a row, not in total) is still something you should be able to avoid.

1: I don't see you trying to screw us. I just saw where things can get VERY bad very fast. Now that you've clarified how this will work, as long as you got the oil to keep the gears running I hope this works.

2: I will warn you. I am a master tactician. You have seen my diplomacy in action. Now prepare for me to show you my other talents.

All I have to ask the enemy as I stand before them: "Hello Mage-Lords!!! Whoever takes the Ivory Tower, takes the universe! Well BAD NEWS EVERYONE! GUESS WHO!"

Looks like I go into turbo planning mode. nana

Do you want me to pull you out of Arcadia? - I can side track something for you back on Earth if you feel so entirely out of tune and are not having fun.

I have plenty of options if you prefer that. In-game Aina or Morganna can sent you back any time.

She turns to the dragons. "I can see why the dragons want their own home safe, but I cannot simply put aside my curiosity as to what's gained from a crisis like this..."

"My intent is to see this world safe as well as ours... but at what price?"

I have an OOC question. I'm not sure why Aeon is pushing doubt and dissention about whether we should be fighting for the dragons (or this is how it reads). This was all settled back in the 'normal' realm, when we found out that the MageLords were assholes and enslaved DawnStar's race at one point. This was all confirmed, AFAIK, and I believe this information was passed out to everyone. So what is Aeon's thought here? Why is she being suspicious of our allies?

Good point. Let's ask her.

Aeonian? You have been paying attention to the plot thus far, right?

Magelords = bad enslaving dickwads.

Everyone else = Rebel Alliance. On dragons instead of X-Wings.

If this was a Shadowrun or WoD style game, where everyone's a dickwad to varying degrees, then caution would be advisable. As it is, the character is coming across as a paranoid. Or a drama llama.

I know Aeon has just found her "Groove" and she may have missed out on some of the development and background that led to the current situation.

It is also true that Aina has her way of not telling the truth without necessarily lying, but that is something Watchwoman is already on and dealing with.

It should be clear beyond any doubt, that the enemy is truly "evil" and needs to be fought.

I may have.

But before everyone jumps down my throat I should at least have a chance to retract.

Addendum: Done.

You see, at the start of this episode, everyone went mach 10 down the plot and by the time I had any inkling of what was up we were in fairy land (after I had reminded everyone I was still in earth realm by the way) and I was quite lost.

I pretty much know what is up with what my team was doing, also as far as I know Aeonian knows nothing regarding what was spoken with the dragons prior since she was in a different area at the time.

So I go from being ignored to being accused of dissent. Cute. People have to realize I try to keep up. Seems though my attempts have failed miserably and I should be cut some slack here, I've been doing pretty well and flying without a net. Just this time I crash hard.

I'm this close to shelving this character after this plot arc because I've had a lot of freaking problems here and they keep popping up after I knock some down. If I would have known this was a weekend active game I probably wouldn't have even joined.

If I'm reading it right, nobody's accusing YOU (the player) of sowing dissension. They're giving OOC observations on how your character's IC actions seem.

So fine: You weren't paying attention/didn't read back. That's okay - I haven't read back over everything myself. Which is one reason my character isn't rocking the boat - he doesn't know and is trusting that the Legacy League know what they're doing in their choice of allies. To be honest, I'm just grabbing the coat-tails of the other characters (or vines in Serene's case) and using their momentum to pick up speed myself.

What you need to understand and cut people a little slack for is that they've been waiting for this plot to move forwards, been pushing for that, and to have someone raise issues at the eleventh hour isn't fun. Hence the asperity.

Also, sorry about my snarkiness. I was feeling a little sharp that day and it shows.

I noticed I may have used too sharp a text there. But to me it read that I was being disruptive. I've been in games with disruptive players and they aren't fun.

I wanna have fun with this game.

And I'm not raising issues at the 11th hour either. Also if you were feeling aggressive you should have waited until you had a clear head. Because right now I'm honestly thinking my problems I've been having don't amount to a hill of beans.

Aeon, the reason I asked for OOC clarification is because of the reasons you mentioned. Not everyone is willing to go back and read what happened every single time. But Aeon was listening to much of the conversation in the medical bay after Arcana showed up. I know this because I checked that today. And all of the information is there OOC.

I'm not trying to bust your balls. If you're rushed for posts and don't have time to read back, ask someone else in the game about stuff. We're here and happy to help, because we want you to have fun too.

That is the bottom line here. The post in question was jarring enough that I asked about, mostly because three hours before a battle is not the time to express doubt about fighting it. I rarely ask such things OOC - I'd rather have my PC interrept as she will, whether that it right or wrong. In fact I'd rather be wrong IC than right sometimes, because that can be more fun. laugh

(That, btw, is what was meant by 11th hour. We're on the brink of a combat and one of the people was all but implying that they hadn't checked to be sure they were fighting on the right side - in front of the people who they were fighting for.)

All of that was laid out so you'll understand why I asked OOC, and why I waited over the weekend to post. I wanted to give you time to see if you needed to revise your post after some OOC clarification. If I'm upset about anything here, it is that I gave you slack and then was told I wasn't doing that at all, that my efforts weren't even recognized. Had I not been giving you slack, WW would have pull Aeon aside for a firm IC talk. Instead, we (all of us directly involved in the scene) waited to let you fix things. And I'm only marginally upset about that, mostly because if I got totally riled up about everything that bothered me out here, I'd never have time for any other emotion. wink

So to recap: I want all of us to have fun. Part of that requires a bit of work on all our parts to be chill when we really don't want to be chill. Sometimes, that's all the difference between having a good time and shitty time.

If we're cool, then I'll be posting later tonight (I hope).

1: I did fix the post removing any opinion of who the team is dealing with.

2: It seems this has gone completely off the rails. I make one mistake and it sounds like I've derailed everything.

It wasn't my intent. I've fixed my error. But it seems I've pissed everyone off anyways.

So I go from being ignored to being accused of dissent. Cute. People have to realize I try to keep up. Seems though my attempts have failed miserably and I should be cut some slack here, I've been doing pretty well and flying without a net. Just this time I crash hard.

I personally think you have been doing pretty well and you alomst singlehandedly convinced the Frost-Giants to join the war (which will be a huge benefit, since they are the best warriors on the field).

The troupe had gone through quiet some trouble in the last chapters (I've been pretty rough on them so it is to some good deal my fault) and I understand that adding a new PC at the time was... difficult. Maybe I should've waited until after the current chapter but then you'd been forced to wait.

I strongly believe that no one "ignored" you intentionally - maybe it was bad timing between your posts, the others post and when I update. I would file this under coincedence (unintentional)

I'm this close to shelving this character after this plot arc because I've had a lot of freaking problems here and they keep popping up after I knock some down. If I would have known this was a weekend active game I probably wouldn't have even joined.

I hope you won't quit and I also have to mention that it is not a weekend active game from my POV (I post very rarely on weekends, only when I'm at work). I usually never post on my work-free days (weekends mostly, sometimes under the week like this week for example - I work the weekend but get tuesday and thursday off instead).

Things will be "normalized" after this chapter - sorry for the excourse into the fantastic.

Ok - lets get productive again.

Given the general confusion I decided to "streamline" a few things and help you guys out and make you understand what your options are (I also chatted with Aeon and hope everything is ok now).

Echo can provide you with an updated battlemap and coordinate your efforts using the ring and the Dragon Witches (they are tuned/connected to the crystals). This functions pretty much like a real holotank HQ with realtime updates.

Aeon will probably stay with Echo and coordinate the forces.

All other PCs are battleworthy enough to get into the fray.

The enemy is larger in number but you have better quality troops.

The Dragon Witches are PL 15, Aina is even more powerful than that, the Frost Giants are PL 10, the Merfolk will be at PL 8 as will be the Elves. If Nixx and Arcana are successful the Ents will help at PL 10. (This shall give you a general feeling of what your forces are capable of)

The Enemy is vastly around PL6 to 8ish, the MageLords will be on par with you players which is PL12ish. The Bosses will be more powerful than that but very few in number and probably you will tackle them in groups and not 1on1.

I am not expecting a "perfect strategy" to ensure your victory. It is a nice flavor if you do follow a strategy and reap the benefits from your efforts (probably reducing the losses on your side while increasing the enemies losses). The major focus will remain the Boss fights. No strategy will make those obsolete since they will be the key elements of this war.

Everyone has the freedom to fully edit your posts and portray just how awesome you are. I will take over and initiate real combats once you encounter a Boss.

I hope this clarifies the situation a little.

It does and I have come up with a battle strategy to bring this enemy force down to size. In face, if it plays out just right, it may eliminate the operative majority of the enemy force.

Terrain. The key is terrain. We need to draw the main charge of the enemy force into a terrain that would equate certain death. This can be accomplished like so:

1: Draw the enemy force after their commanders have been dealt with or their communications cut off through the forest. Thing is, no one should attack the enemy there.

2: The enemy force needs to be led to an area after the forest where there is two hills and a ravine after them.

3: We keep taking our bait squad into the center of this bowl and have them split up towards both hills, looking as if they've broken morale. This will most likely cause the enemy force to split in the thrill of the hunt. That's when both teeth of the pincer kick in.

4: Our armies will be two groups (Forces #1 and #2) hidden behind the hills. One on each side. Melee troops will engage with a charge from either hill while oil in the ravine will be ignited to cut off the forward advance of the enemy. All archers and ranged spell-casters will hammer the enemy below. It is imperative that the hardest blow is delivered before the melee troops close in on the enemy to reduce collateral casualties.

5: The only way back out is through the forest when BANG, our stealth operatives (Force #3) strike their rear flank with as much arrows and spells they can manage as the frost giants hurl boulders over the flame pit into the enemy lines. This would be the signal for the melee troops to pull back until the boulders and arrows and spells stop flying.

Here's a map of what I'm thinking.

Code:

----------NORTH------------

---Frost Giants Approach---
----From this direction----

===Flaming Oil Trap====
   #                     #
 F #                     # F
 O #                     # O
 R H       THE           H R
 C I      HURT           I C
 E L       BOX           L E
   L                     L
 # #                     # #
 1 #                     # 2
   #                     #

#############################
####FOREST AREA (FORCE #3)###
#############################

I know this strategy isn't foolproof, but the key to this is the timing of the Frost Giant arrival, and the ability to bait the enemy in a way to go to that location and to ensure scouts don't pick up on us amassing our forces in those areas. Scouts must be terminated, commanders assassinated, messengers stopped. Everything must lead that enemy into that bowl.

There also needs to be an even number of melee and ranged capable soldiers at each hill position. This will provide a hammer blow from the east and west while archers and spell casters turn the center into a maelstrom.

The south is where any stealth operatives we can use in the forest to start striking their flank before they try to retreat. Then the Fire Giants come to mop up.

This is where history is made, where battles are named.

The enemy will remember this as a massacre.

WE will remember this as when we HOLD THE LINE.

One question: is it possible for Aeonian to make a temporary modification to her staff to allow it to cause an area effect of it's blast instead of the typical sonic blast it does?

The concept of making 20 enemies around me fall sick and prone delights me.

One question: is it possible for Aeonian to make a temporary modification to her staff to allow it to cause an area effect of it's blast instead of the typical sonic blast it does?

The concept of making 20 enemies around me fall sick and prone delights me.

You can always do that by spending a HP and make a power stunt. Once you have enough points left to spent, you could buy that effect as an AE for your Sonic Blast, of course.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

I'll be on vacation from Monday the 23rd till Monday the 30th. I won't be at home or near any computer with I-Net Access from Thursday the 26th till Sunday the 29th... BUT I will have my truste iPad and iPhone with me, which allows me to access the net.

We're going to spent a few days at a resort somewhere in the north of Germany with the kids and my In-Laws and depending on our activities there I may have time around the evening hours to check the site and post where I'm needed. If not I'll let you know.

I expect to maintain enough activity to keep things rolling, though.

Archived