Mutants & Masterminds: The Unlikely Prophets - The Unlikely Prophets OOC Thread

Charlotte

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...Huh. Not much for me to add, either. I've resurfaced from Midterm Hell, and I should'nt go under again until around the end of the month, when I enter Finals Hell. (They don't assign final exam dates and times until late in the term here, and...four final exams in a three-day period, ew. Just...ew.)

Is anyone waiting for something from me? If not, I'll just wait for Something Significant, myself.

No UPdate today. Instead, I think I need to bring something to light.

For the past few weeks, I've had to push past a general ennui when it comes to UPdating this game. I've tried to write it off as a seasonal thing or a slump, but I think it's gone on long enough that I have to admit that this game's got problems. Specifically, I'm getting the distinct impression, due to several factors, that people aren't really interested in this game. (Without naming names.)

People's posting rates have dropped drastically these past few months - that's always been a problem with this game, but lately it's become a very big problem. In addition, while I anticipated not being able to agree on how to spend points on a headquarters, since the PP/PL raise to 165/PL11 in May I have gotten one updated character sheet, instead of the eight I was hoping for. People seemed to want the downtime an awful lot, but now that it's here, people seem restless about it.

What I'd like, out of all my active players, is for you to try and commit to more posting, to update your character sheets, to finalize the headquarters and then tell me if you want to move to the next leg of the game or stay with things as they presently are. If you have ANY problems at all, tell me - because I can't address them if I don't know about them.

Thanks for reading. I'd rather not have to shutter this game, but I fear if things don't improve, it may come to that.

On my part, there's some external factors, but where UP's concerned I've felt kind of like I'm flailing in the wind a bit. As far as downtime goes, I'm not sure what's expected of us. Are we posting summaries of our activities? Are we RP'ing stuff out? We're kind of doing both, and I'm never sure if I should try to continue the RP, or let it fade into downtime, or...or what.

And I'm really sorry the problems have been hitting you so hard, Mike...but lets try to work this out without going down the, 'I'll shut down the game' track. This is the classic Sandbox Problem, and it's nothing more. Put a bunch of people in a sandbox and say, "Okay, go do stuff," and one big danger is that no one will really know what they want to do. And if some do figure it out, it's a good bet that others will figure something else out... It's troublesome and can slow things down, but it's hardly a game-wrecker. We just have to come to an agreement, OOC, about how we want to wrap this portion of the game up so we can get on with things.

All right, I've heard from most of the players, and the consensus seems to be that the downtime needs to end, and soon. So I will have a post up on Friday that proceeds to the next leg.

I was hesitant to pull this trigger since Necronaut wanted to check on his old haunt (ha) but I've decided to open up a side-thread for that jaunt, and have Necro off in it. This will also go up Friday. He will be present for the next leg forward, since it takes place after his jaunt.

Now, by the end of the month, I'll need you all to finalize your PL11/PP165 sheets - everyone is at this level now - and agree on where your headquarters points are going. If you don't spend your PP or HQP by December, they will have to go unspent until the next chapter break. The HQ discussion thread is here. If you can, hold discussions/recommendations there so they can be easily found.

Thanks for taking the time to talk it out, everyone. Let's keep it alive!

For my part, Mike and I had already discussed this outside the game, and he knows how I feel.

I enjoy Sharatur quite a bit, even if it may not always seem that way (I'm not the most reliable of players here, I know). I do suspect that most of us will get back to a semi-reliable posting schedule once we have a structured environment again.

I also seek advice and help on spending the HQ points. I'm just not familiar enough with M&M to know what would be good to spend it on. Is there some sort of method where we could all have an emergency-style, one-way teleport back 'home'? Something that could only be used to go to a specific spot in the HQ, from anywhere in the world, and only usable rarely (say, 1/day). Not device-based, though; wouldn't want it stolen. Maybe it takes time to 'attune' yourself to it, but once done you could then make use of it. I could see Sharatur going for that...

The HQ can buy powers, with the GM's approval. However, what you're talking about would be kind of complex. The HQ would have to be able to find you with an Accurate sense (which would be a cost), then have a Teleport with sufficient range and the Affects Others (Only others) mod. And even then, I'd say the system would need an operator...either an NPC who stays in it, or an "AI" built into the HQ and bought with points.

I'm not trying to shoot down the idea, bear in mind. These are design challenges to be overcome, not obstacles that make it unworkable. :)

In fact, I have an idea for how it could work.

The HQ could have a ritual array with some element of each of us. A vial of blood, perhaps, or effigies. A magical item (built into the HQ, not bought separately) can use those elements to locate us anywhere (via an accurate, extended Mental sense) and allows a person using that item to commuicate (mental Communication) or, in a pinch, the element can be consumed in a magical reaction that yanks the person back to the ritual circle (the teleport effect). This inflicts an Affliction as a Side Effect, and it requires a replacement for the ritual element to be obtained, so it's a hassle and not done lightly. The recall only works if the character allows it to.

I can tell you all that we actually need Living Space as a feature... and possibly an AI feature, someone can put some of their EP towards that... I am investigating if we can put the Reversible feat on our Teleport power already in the HQ thread, so an AI can warp back those who went through the portal if need be. :)

Furthermore, there are always things like ESP or other Powers that we could built in as specialized tech or spells that could prove useful from a HQ position, like summon-able guardians?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a head's up: I will likely become submerged in studies again at some point over the next few days. When I do finally go under, I probably won't resurface again until the 10th. If I miss a deadline and you need Sharatur to do something, feel free to take the reigns and 'NPC' her temporarily. I don't want to hold the game up if it's avoidable.

Since I'm running behind on checking character sheets, everyone gets a reprieve for another week - so new cutoff day is December the 10th.

This is ALSO the cutoff day for the HQ points! Let everyone know what your final decisions are in a post to the HQ thread, even if you have already posted, just to make things clear.

You can narrate the opening if you wish, or coordinate with Necronaut to figure out what his side of things will be.

You'll have to decide if you want to tap into the leftover power int he shaft or not, though - no posts to that effect yet, so no UPdate tonight.

Folks, I've dreaded this day's arrival, but I can't ignore it any more.

One of the players earlier today - never mind who - PMed me and said that they didn't want to continue playing in the game any more due to its slow pace, something I've tried my best to correct but that seems impossible for me to solve. It's not the downtime, since the downtime's over; it's not the holidays since this has been going on for about half a year.

Over half of my players have not posted in this game in the last three weeks, and to be honest, it's sapped my enthusiasm to the point I no longer really wish to run this game. So effective today, Thursday, December 22nd, 2011: the Unlikely Prophets is shutting down.

I'd hoped to finish this game - I had some Plans - but to be honest, even if there was a huge surge in posting tomorrow I don't think I could bring myself to keep going. Enthusiasm is tough to recapture, and mine is pretty much gone. I blame myself for the death of this game - if it was an interesting and fun game, people would post to it. But people plainly haven't, so in that sense, the failure is mine.

I'm sorry, everyone. If people want, I can share my notes for where the game was going and the ways I was going to tie players into the plot. I'll spend the next couple of days composing what I've got and then I'll share it with you all.

Take care, and Happy Holidays.

Arg...this WAS an interesting and fun game! And this has a lot to do with me...maybe everything. My character wound up being important to keep things moving, and I totally dropped that ball. It's not because of the game though. If you haven't noticed, I hardly post to ANYTHING anymore.

My PBP muse has gone on vacation or something. Lately, I load the site and just...stare. I feel like I'm so far behind that I can't catch up, and this weight comes down, and I can't think of a post to save a kitten's life.

And now this.

Maybe I need an official hiatus or something. A break from the boards. I just don't know.

I'm really sorry,Mike.I wish you'd just kickedme out and NPC'ed Hex now. At least then everyone else would be having fun.

Crap

I had a good time ol' Mike. If the muse isn't there you gotta do what you gotta do, but don't beat yourself up over the quality of the game.

As for me... at times like this there's really only one thing to say. For the sake of folk's grandmas I will obscure it in a spoiler tag.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to see it go, despite my own lackluster posting rate here.

I admit I got lost, and managed to lose the feel for Radiance all in one go, which is a poor excuse for my posting record.

Still I did enjoy the game to that point. Thanks for letting me play Mike, and for all the work you put into this. I feel bad for my own performance at the end, and i apologize.

Sorry to see this game go. I know I bailed out fairly early on, but I kept my eye on things here, and it's always unfortunate to see a game that made it past the first surge strongly come to and end with a whimper.

Hopefully this won't turn you off of GMing Mike. I wish you good luck with your next game whenever and whatever it is.

Archived