Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 2: Resistance

Joani

Tim gave a shocked smile to Travis's outburst. "Relax.... I'm sorry." He meant it too. It was always easier to apologise later than to ask permission. "Healing you guys is really exhausing. The least you could do is pitch in. Take a nap for an hour or two and you'll be as good as new." And don't call me Sponge Bob..I hate that show.

He turns to Ronnie. "Wow, you sure have a potty-mouth. Do you speak to all your friends that way?" Ronnie was already a bitch, and he knew he was pushing her. She asked to be pushed... people like her just begged for it. "I take it you don't wan't any help." He gave her a devilish smile as if he understood her anger but did not sympathise.

Tim paused before the others, asking each if they wanted to be healed... with the stipulation that he would pay for it with their own energy.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josha just watched and listened as the others discuss their plans. All of it was really over his head. He wasn't a fighter by any means and from the look of things that was the direction the conversation was headed. He tried his best to pay attention best he could be his uneasiness interuppted his thoughts. He was therfore surprise when Juno started talking to him. "Yeah it hurts like sonofbitch, lucky for then that I can heal myself" he replies to both Tim and Juno.

Ronnie scowled. "You ain't my friend, shitball," she snapped. "You aren't even acting like my ally. You need to borrow some juice? Fine, fucking ask. Otherwise, you'd a god damned vampire -thief, and that shit will get you staked."

Grimacing, she went to join the conversation around the map. The little fucker was a waste of her time. She heard about the trolls dying causing Joshua problems and sighed. It was too much to hope that he could make endless supplies of weird canon fodder.

Tim laughed at Ronnie's ouburst. This chick is crazy. When she seemed to be thoroughly pissed Tim winked at her. A sexist comment ought to really get her going.

"You're a bully, Ronnie, and it seems that for someone to be your ally, they need to be your bootlicker. I am not going to lie down and be your doormat." Tim tossed some military doctrine in her face to make his point. It was also time to bring the conversation down to something more rational.

"What is it they say in the military? 'To be a leader, you must first learn how to follow'. In other words Ronnie... you want respect from me, you need to give me something to respect. Treating me as if I am an idiot, who is clueless of the situation, is not respectful. I want to see something from you that makes me want to follow."

Tim lit a smoke and took a long drag. "As the Roman, Tacitus once said in reference to leadership: 'Reason and calm judgement, the qualities specially belonging to a leader.'"

Adrian stepped forward, unhappy with the turn of events between two people he had thought as friends, and Ronnie.

"Tim, next time borrow some juice from me. I almost never get tired."

Leaning over Juno, he thinks of something and directs a question toward Sam,

"How do they detect us? I mean, do they have some sort of mutant sense, or do they rely on standard visual, audiotory, and olfactory sensors. Like, can they see heat? Are they able to see in near total darkness, radar, tremorsense, ect."

Wow, I think I said something useful.

Sly moved over to the map as well, careful to avoid Tim. No way he was going to share his power with someone as arrogant about using them as that guy. His own life would have to depend on it. He really hoped it would not come to that. He briefly considered adjusting Tim's memories to erase any knowledge of the fact that Sly was a telepath, but someone would bring it up and then he'd wonder why he forgot. Well, perhaps after this was all over he could do that. For now he'd avoid the man at all costs and focus on contributing to the planning as much as possible.

"So where do we want to set up as our command and control? It should be someplace close by but well defensible."

“Enough!”, Hicks said raising his voice.

“I don’t give a rats ass if you guys prefer to kill yourselves over something as banal as hurt pride. If you don’t get it I won’t make it my problem and trust me, you don’t want to be on my shitlist. Now lets get productive like your fellas here.”, he pointed at Juno and the others that were assembled around the Map.

“I still prefer the two team setup – more teams just make it too complicated and you’re mostly civilians. For practice if we can make this work I suggest following through with Ms. Reyes idea. We establish a base of operation closer to the MIC.”, he takes a look at the Map studying it for a brief moment and then points out a Wal Mart about 1.5 Miles east of the MIC.

“Here – we can crash here and plan our next move from there. The School will be our fallback point should we get separated. You’ll wait here for a maximum of 24 hours before falling back to Nellis AFB.”, he drew 2 lines on the map indicating the shortest paths from the school to the Wal Mart and marked both the AFB and the MIC on the map.

“Ok – Team Alpha will be distractions. Only heavy hitters here – Ronnie and Travis lead that team. Team Beta will be our strike force – fast and stealth is our premise. I will lead Beta and pick Adrian as Orphan’s personal bodyguard. You’ll protect her no matter what – is that clear kid?”, he nodded at Adrian and proceeded with the setup pointing at the people as he assigns the teams.

In a matter of seconds Team Alpha and Beta were established.

(ooc: Alpha: Ronnie, Travis, Tom, Simon, Savannah, Tim, Joshua and Grav Beta: Hicks, Adrian, Orphan, Juno, Kevin and Sly)

“Objections?”, Hicks looked at the Mutants and raised an eyebrow.

“What about us?”, asked Six and the bunch of juveniles and gangers behind him. “We want to contribute, too.”

“You guys are too young. I’m not leading children into a battlezone, sorry about that.”, Hicks tried to sound as polite as he could but he was at the end of his patience.

"I'm a kid," Juno quickly said, stepping over to stand by Six. "They don't have to be in the battle zone to help. They're fast, tough and quiet, and they know the city. They could go around and collect supplies here at the school. Like...not just food, but medicine and stuff."

"Actually I rather object to a lot of that. You've got Ronnie and I who are trained black ops on distraction duty. You have an an overly large distraction group; they should be split up into pairs, or maybe three man teams, and operate using guerrilla tactics, hit and run, not stand and fight. The insertion team ought to be Ronnie, Kevin, Anna, and myself. Ronnie and I can pave the way, Kevin can protect our six and Anna. Once we are in Anna can bring Orphan to us without risking her at all. Meanwhile back here, Sly can coordinate between the groups. I'll volunteer to be the contact for the insertion group, there's nothing up here," he taps his skull. "And I was planning to ask him for help with my memory later anyways." The rest split into two or three person teams, and cause as much mayhem and havoc throughout the city as quickly as they can. Don't bother trying to take down the robots just yet, just keep them responding to threats that are not us. And I agree with Juno, these kids survived this far, let them help. I understand wanting to keep kids from combat but we could use supplies and they can get those for us."

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
She nods at Joshua. "Okay, can you see what they see or anything like that? Can we use them to scout without risking one of us?"

Joshua smiles at Juno, "Yeah that's one of the main things I have them do. I also can make them smaller so there harder to spot. Should prove to be very useful."

Joshua is pleasantly surprised that he's on Team A. He had no desire to go back to the ship. Since he lived here it would be easy to cause some havoc and mayhem, it be nice to have some fun for a change.

Adrian liked the first plan better. There he had a specific goal he was sure he could meet. Travis' plan ...

"Travis, how do I create a distraction that will draw the robots and still get away? It isn't like I can throw a car at them from a block away. If anything, I think you would be better at the free-form mission were experience counts. The Beta team's mission is pretty clear cut and direct. It requires precision, yes, but in a simple way."

Looking at Hicks,

"Everyone should contribute. We'll need every hand out there to make the distraction look like something more than a distraction. That's the reality of the situation."

Yeah, sure, he had probably doomed some people he liked to near certain death, but the Earth needed saving.

Sam stood off, letting them plan what they would plan, she was better dealing with machines than people, though she saw flaws in either fork they took, she kept it to herself, fearing more needless friction.

"Their network operates on technology way beyond anything Earth has available to function in, though if that is your ability, I can give you a good idea of where to look for it in the spectrum." she said to Tom.

Turning to Adrian, "They have a machine that detects mutants and classifies their threat level, using me they were going to turn that scan global very shortly."

"Not that I am aware of, however that doesn't mean they don't. Regardless, they will be looking for me in some capacity." she said, her green eyes glowing softly, "They probably think they conditioned me enough to not go storming after them and are looking farther away."

Hicks sighed at Travis and checked his own options, then he addressed the kids.

“Alright – I understood you guys got a leader?”

Six hesitantly raised an arm and added quickly, “That’s actually Juno but she’s with you guys I guess.”

“Ok – don’t worry about that, kid. You’ll organise support and make preparations if anyone gets hurt and we can’t do any on field emergency treatments. Are you guys familiar with that?”

Six nodded hesitantly and smiled a bit lopsided, “I guess. Keep your asses clear of trouble, warn you if something happens and hand out drinks in the 7th inning break?”

“Gotcha.”, said Hicks with a thumbs up at Six.

Then he turned his attention back to Travis. “I understand where you’re coming from but I’m trying to keep this as simple as possible. Guerilla tactics with inexperienced people, mutant or not, can get people faster killed and scattered than I’m willing to risk. If you think you’re better of on your own with Ms. Plum here – I’m not in charge here, I’m just assuming control because else you guys would still be bitchin’ about your hurt pride. I want to end this here tonight. We only got one shot at it. Think about it while I’m outside. I need a smoke.”, Hicks took out one of his cigarettes and made his way to leave the building.

Kevin

Checking the PDA for the names results in a huge overview of people missing in action. The list of dead people is relatively short and fortunately none of the people Kevin knew where on it. Missing. He couldn’t tell if that was a good thing or not. At least there was a chance they were still alive – hopefully not in the same situation they’ve been just a day ago.

Tim had been listening to what Hicks and the others were saying. He figured he might as well offer his own insights.

"Why not use UNLV as our base." Tim said, scanning the room. "It is a large, multi-building facility, with underground laboratories, food stores and technological assets we could take advantage of. It is also very close to the MIC and has it's own power generators."

"We can consider that," Ronnie said, her tone professional as she addressed Tim. "But I'll be a little surprised if someone isn't there already, especially with it being as nice as you mentioned. But if it isn't, then yeah, we should grab up that bitch."

She watched Hicks leave, then thought for a moment as she cracked her neck. Coming to a decision, she muttered to Travis, "Be right back." She followed the soldier outside, offering him her lighter when she saw him digging in his pockets for his.

"Hey," she said, leaning against a wall before lighting her cigar. "I know that guerilla tactics can get the inexperienced killed. What we're doing is going to get people killed anyway." She glanced at him, her purple eyes concerned. "We're dealing with kids and school teachers and lounge singers. Either way, there's a chance that mutant or not, someone's going to die, just because they'll fuckin' zig when they shoulda zagged. I know you need to defend them, but you might start thinking of them as soldiers.

"Though what the fuck do I know?" she sighed, blowing a semi-happy smoke ring. She could feel tiredness creeping into her limbs; her eyes were gritty. It'd been a long day, and unlike most of the others, she hadn't gotten a chance to sleep. "I'm just a fuckin' spook, and we don't operate like soldiers."

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss
"Travis, how do I create a distraction that will draw the robots and still get away? It isn't like I can throw a car at them from a block away."

"Its not rocket science kid. You pair up with somebody else, somebody with a little punch. Then you go out and find some trouble. Computer girl says they can sense us, so just making yourself knowm, causing a little hurt on them if you can, and then running, fleeing. Is going to be enough to send up the alarm. You do that and you try and lead them away from the MIC. We get a few teams doing the same thing at the same time and they will spread thin to try and get us back. That leaves the back door open for us to get in.

"Of course if you'd rather that the inexperienced among you be the ones to walk into the enemy's ship with a mission that needs to succeed ... well, ok I'll pull hit & run duty. Though don't complain later on about how hard it was."

Sly frowned at Travis' words. "Two teams I can keep coordinated. Several teams I can't, even two telepaths couldn't do that, and I think Tim would be much better copying someone's powers with some 'punch' as you called it, or better yet Anna's to get a team out fast."

Tim wasn't sure if they understood the way his powers worked.

"It's not that easy for me." Tim said in response to the telepath's words. "If I copied Anna's power to open a doorway, we would have only a short time until I would run out of power. You see...It cost me energy to hold someone's copied powers for an extened period of time. If I do use her powers, it would have to be for quick, hit and run engagements."

Tim thought about that for a second. "We could send out two teams. One team, with me using Anna's abilities, and a second one with Anna on it. We can do simultaneous attacks on separate locations. If anything, it would keep them off balance and their forces spread out among several probable targets."

"Travis, I'm not sure what to do. I know I can do something simple like 'Guard Sam, the Space Girl', but not so sure about how to attack a terminator and then get me and my team mate away. How am I going to hide from a mutant detector?"

"Listen, you have those kind of skills and really you should be on both teams, but we only have one of you and one of Ronnie, and the rest of us had relatively normal lives last week."

"The way I see it, the better the distraction is, the easier the assualt mission will be. That works in reverse to. If we fuck up the distraction, they are going to know something's up and be on their guard."

"Hell, I wish you had time to train us. You don't. The situation sucks. What can we do?"

Kevin scrolled through the list. Nobody from the clinic had been seen since the attacks. Nobody had turned up either alive or as a corpse. If even one of them had shown up alive, then that would've been cause for hope, but as of right now, they were all MIA.

His platoon from the second world war, they were all still MIA, even though he'd seen their bodies. He knew what MIA really meant. Either there wasn't enough of a body to identify, they hadn't checked in, or for some reason somebody didn't want to list them as 'dead'.

Kevin slid down the wall until he was sitting on the floor, elbows on knees. He dropped the PDA into his lap, from which it slid to the floor with a slight clatter. With his head in his hands, he rocked back and forth slightly going off into his own little world. They psychics in the room would more than likely be able to sense the deep pain, sorrow, anguish and hopelessness hanging over Kevin like a dark cloud.

Another one; another friend lost because they got too close to me. I'm supposed to be healing people and helping people with my powers, but instead I'm killing them.

Of course, I have the means to end it within me... all it would take would be one forcefield, one big healing and I wouldn't have to worry about anybody else getting hurt for being too close to him.

Then again, he had the chance to save lives here. Between his healing and forcefield, he might could save some of the people here... and if he saved the people here, he might help many more all over the world.

As much as he hated himself for not being able to end it then and there, every fiber in his being still fought for the good of as many as possible; to put himself between those who would hurt the innocent and the innocent who couldn't help themselves. His entire life had been spent here 'in the middle', all over the world. But now, here, he had the opportunity to stand in the middle for the world instead of in the world.

Annalise nods once. "Decide what it is you want to do and how you wish to do it and let me know. I'll do my part." She'd had enough of the bickering between everyone and was already seriously considering just leaving them there. She could run. To hell with everyone else. She'd done it before.

She squelched that line of thought quickly, knowing that it was pointless to run. They'd find her again. At least here and now she could be part of a team.

She waited patiently for the final plan to be hammered out.

Originally Posted By: May Allman

"Hey," she said, leaning against a wall before lighting her cigar. "I know that guerilla tactics can get the inexperienced killed. What we're doing is going to get people killed anyway." She glanced at him, her purple eyes concerned. "We're dealing with kids and school teachers and lounge singers. Either way, there's a chance that mutant or not, someone's going to die, just because they'll fuckin' zig when they shoulda zagged. I know you need to defend them, but you might start thinking of them as soldiers.

"Though what the fuck do I know?" she sighed, blowing a semi-happy smoke ring. She could feel tiredness creeping into her limbs; her eyes were gritty. It'd been a long day, and unlike most of the others, she hadn't gotten a chance to sleep. "I'm just a fuckin' spook, and we don't operate like soldiers."

“You’re wrong – if they were soldiers we wouldn’t argue about the plan. I’m forced to do this differently because I’m responsible for civilians. A soldier knows why he has enlisted himself and lives with the knowledge to get killed while serving his country. I can’t expect that from any of you. Even you and your friend. I don’t even know which Department or Governmental Bureau or whatever they call that shit these days you’re from. All I know is – your friend made a call and it was enough to get the General on the line and assign me to this mission. Either I’m losing my mind or we’re really fucked up. Or this is the only chance we got.”, he was starting to get agitated. Taking a long draft from his cig he exhaled through his nostrils and pointed to the building.

“There are kids inside there. Half of the Mutants we’re taking to this war are children – I won’t risk their lives a single fucking second with some half-boiled plan containing several task groups. We don’t have the equipment for that. We can’t coordinate that. I can’t abort the mission and order a fall back if there is no chance at success. You’re friend seems to have some personality issues and I won’t get involved there. I trust you – and you alone.”, his voice got very calm at the end, almost soft as if he cared for her.

“Listen – I’m just a Captain of a Specialists Weapon Platoon. That’s why I’m here. They called in the experimental stuff because we can’t stop them with our standard equipment. I suppose Mutants qualify for ‘specialist weapons’. But to tell you the truth – even we couldn’t do much against them. We took down 4 of those bastards and managed to hold the line there but that’s it. Not much of an success and nothing like a chance at striking back. If you got any better ideas I’m all ears.”, he flipped the cig away and came closer to her but stopped short of breaching any ‘personal space’.

Back inside, Savannah stood quietly next to Simon. The twins were completely out of their depth here and Savannah seemed to realize it. She didn't really make any effort to contribute to the plan-making. She merely squeezed her brother's hand, and waited quietly. The twins had spent their entire lives running and hiding. They were tired of it, and ready to do something different, but it was going to be up to the others to decide what... at least for now.

Simon squeezed her hand back, his own thoughts echoing hers, as usual. He wanted to help but he knew just how little he and his sister knew about stuff like this. They'd been on their own a little less than two years before they were taken, and for all their nightmares and new bodies, they were both still effectively fifteen. They had courage, and a bleak determination to somehow make this mess right, but they weren't the brains or the skill of the group.

"So..." Juno says, drawing out the word as she stares down at the map. "We should send Josh's goblins out to scout and find a safe place to set up closer to the MIC. We'll have Anna make a portal there, then get started on distractions and getting into the ship."

She looks up at Six. "You guys hit pharmacies and stores and shit...get medical supplies and food and water. Good food, not Twinkies and shit. Lots of canned stuff."

"That sound like a plan for now?"

"And I'm just a spook, Hicks," Ronnie said, frustrated. "The plan Travis came up with - by the way, dissing on a girl's best friend doesn't make you friends - is what I know. It's what I do. Small teams, quick strikes. Try to be out before they were aware you were there. That's what I do. I don't know how to do anything else."

She shook her head and drew hard on the cigar for a moment. "If we run something more like your plan, I don't know what to do. And that makes me really, really crabby."

"Fine! We do it your way. Can we just get going before this whole war is over? It isn't like anyone is going to come up with a plan we all love. As long as we don't all die, let's give it a chance!"

Sure, it helped to be bullet-proof, but even Adrian could see that this was getting nowhere fast. Someone had to do something. It wasn't like they could be forced to fight.

"Rebecca, you stick with Six. I'll come back from this, I promise," he told his sister, giving her hand a squeeze.

"I'll stick with Sam and make sure she has someone to hide behind. Now that she's safe, we can get to the business of drawing them out so that others can sneak through.

"Does anyone have a preference? Go back onto a ship, or fight on the outside as best you see fit? That's what it all boils down to."

Tom shakes his head at the constant wrangling, but responds to Adrian's comment, "Just line them up and I'll try to knock them down for you, but I'll probably only have juice for 5 or 6. Assuming I survive that long of course."

Did he just call me Sam...twice? Who the hell...maybe he's a mind-reader? Do I know this guy? I'd remember a hottie like him, how the heck does he know my name? Sam doesn't exist anymore.

Sam stared at Adrian cocking an eyebrow as she examined him, giving him an 'up and down' more than once, not caring the implications of her actions.

"If you get me close to one, I can take it over and use it to help our attack." she contributed, still looking at Adrian with appraising, narrowed eyes.

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
"So..." Juno says, drawing out the word as she stares down at the map. "We should send Josh's goblins out to scout and find a safe place to set up closer to the MIC.

"Anything else I need to know before I send my boys out into the city?"

Originally Posted By: May Allman
"And I'm just a spook, Hicks," Ronnie said, frustrated. "The plan Travis came up with - by the way, dissing on a girl's best friend doesn't make you friends - is what I know. It's what I do. Small teams, quick strikes. Try to be out before they were aware you were there. That's what I do. I don't know how to do anything else."

She shook her head and drew hard on the cigar for a moment. "If we run something more like your plan, I don't know what to do. And that makes me really, really crabby."

Hicks raised his hands in defence. “I didn’t diss your friend, Ronnie. I’m trying to keep things as simple and clear as possible. Reduce the chances for failure and misinterpretation of orders, that’s all. I don’t know who suggested it but someone said we should try one tactic before we move on with the actual strike – the point is the distraction team can do more damage in a large group than alone. That way you guys can cover your asses and fall back if necessary. I don’t know these people, Ronnie.”, he tried to stay as calm as possible which was obviously hard for him.

“Tell you what, do your stuff, whatever it is you do and just assign me to a team if you feel more comfortable with that. I’m just an US-Army Captain who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.”, he shook his head and wiped his eyes with one hand. Hicks was tired and it showed.

Originally Posted By: Katalyst
"Anything else I need to know before I send my boys out into the city?"

"Make sure they don't get seen, and if they do make sure they don't lead anybody back here." Travis was trying to keep his voice level, to keep his irritation and emotion out of his words. He hoped he was succeeding. "Listen, I know you aren't trained for this stuff. That's my point though. Does anybody here really feel the best option is to send a team of untested and untrained people deep into the enemy's zone to carry out a crucial mission? There's a lot going on here but unless you know for a fact that your fight or flight instinct is heavily weighted toward fighting you would be better off trying to provide distraction for than trying to go into the hands of the enemy." Travis pinched his nose between thumb and forefinger. "I feel pretty confident that Ronnie would agree but I understand a lot of you don't like me. Fine I get it. If you'd rather wait till she and the Captain return that's fine by me."

Click to reveal..
Healthy / QP 22/28 / WP 3/3

To her own surprise, Juno chuckled at Travis. She couldn't help it.

"Travis...you are stressing way too much." She grinned at him. "Worrying about who's going to break and who's going to get hurt and...everything else. But me? I think the worst situations bring out the best in people."

She looked around the room, nodding, and jammed her hands in her pockets.

"I'm going to trust everyone in here to do what they need to do, until they prove me wrong. And if that happens, I'll deal with it."

"Have a little faith. In us...and in yourself."

Adrian nodded at Juno's words.

"Travis, dude, I like you. I disagree with the way you see the teams working, but these things are going to happen from time to time."

Is Sam looking at me?

"If you are deeply committed to your plan, convince Hicks and I'll go along with it. I know you know more about what's going on than most of us, but I think you don't know some of us as well as you should, you understand me. With the right leadership we can pull this mission off."

Adrian turned, looked at Sam, and mouthed What?

"To be blunt Hicks' plan is terrible. Whomever tries to get into the ship needs to be a small group, not six plus people, and preferably experienced as they will be on their own behind 'enemy lines'." Travis makes little quote marks in the air. "As for distractions, you want as many as possible while simultaneously risking as few people as possible if something fails. That means small groups. Two or three people. You don't need to actually destroy or disable the robots you just need to get them to commit to the the task of tracking you down. For that to work you need people who know the area. Stealth and some offense doesn't hurt there but its not mandatory.

"The revolutionary war was won on the backs of guerrilla fighters who, even though they were not as well trained or equipped as the British, were able to strike and flee repeatedly inflicting losses and tying up forces while taking little losses in return. That's what we need in a distraction, not a big group of mutants that will trip over each other. If Hicks can't see that ... well he's not fit to lead in my book." Travis turned to Kevin, "I'm sure even Dr. General would agree with me on this."

Sly cleared his throat and said almost in his stage voice. "Here's an option to consider. We only really need one group comprised of stealthy folk just to get in. Anna and I can stay at our hide out with everyone else and I follow the progress of the the stealth team. Once they are in, I convey the image of the place to Anna and she can warp everyone else in and then back out when the actual strike is done. Anyone see a flaw in that logic? I do like the idea of a misdirection though, but it doesn't have to be us. It could be anyone tossing molotov cocktails."

Archived