Mutants & Masterminds: Future Imperfect - Chapter 2: Resistance

Joani

Travis barely heard Juno or Adrian speak. He'd simply ceased to care for the company of this group, the accusations and attitude. Travis's hand twitched and the door behind the older man flew open. "Get outta my way Doc. I'm leaving. Now. I'll move you myself if I need to." Travis's words were barely a whisper ground out past an angrily set jaw. Around him small objects and loose pieces of clothing begin to move about angrily, flitting randomly as though being tossed around by an angry poltergeist.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was just like Joshua had thought it would end up. Nobody really trusted anybody, even though all we've been through. Can't say I blame them, hell I don't trust a single one of them. How did I get mixed up into this shit.

Shaking his head at the others Joshua get's up to try and stop Travis from leaving. "Look man, I don't trust anyone in this room as far as I can throw them but that doesn't mean what she said isn't true. We're in over our heads here and I think you could be of great help in keeping things from getting any worse."

"Let him go," Ronnie said, her voice tense. "No one has to stay, no one has to fight. It's his choice."

She looked at the kid. "You don't have to take my shit, but I'm going to fucking point this out once. She was working with the enemy, with no verification that she was the helpless pawn she claims to be. I, on the other hand, have fucking bent over backwards to get everyone what they've needed, to get Juno out of the frying pan by calling in a favor, and generally trying to keep things rolling. If that's not enough for you, fine, you can fucking have this: I'm a NOC working for a foreign country. With that information, any of you can have me put in a deep, dark hole from which I'll never escape. It's only because I believe that we're in some pretty fucking dire straights that I'm telling you that. Is that enough trust for you?"

Adrian raises his hand,

"Ronnie, what's an NOC?"

Working for a foreign government wasn't actually helpful. Was this the truth? How was Juno taking this? What was this proclaimation supposed to do and what did Hicks think of all this?

Mind you, being an enemy of the current US government wasn't such a bad thing, considering what his government planned to do for him.

Kevin stepped aside, ignoring the moving objects, but not before he said his piece. "Travis, you walk out on us now, and we'll never be able to trust you or your help again. You walk out because someone hurt your feelings, and we won't be able to trust you once things start falling apart. You really want to help us, to protect Ronnie? Then get over yourself and help us figure out how to save the world."

What he had to say having been said, Kevin steps out of the way of the door. From his posture, expression and words, however, it was easy to tell that walking out of the room was walking out on everyone in it... at least as far as Kevin was concerned.

"How long do you think you can run before they find you Travis? A day? A week? You can leave here, it makes no difference to me, but you leave behind the only people that have a chance at stopping this planet from becoming someone's else's playtoy. You leaving considerably weakens our chances of success."

punt

Are we in school? Ronnie wondered at the Kid's raised hand, half her mind on the General and Travis' altercation. "NOC means Non-Offical Cover - I'm a spy operating outside of the legal allowances for a spy. Gives me more freedom, and less protection. If Hicks decides to arrest me, the homeland will not try to rescue me or even admit I exist, and the US probably wouldn't let me go. Ever.

"But this is more important than my secret. This is the world. I want to save it, because it's where I live and keep all my stuff. Again, I ask - is that enough trust for you?"

Yeah, he could ask stupid questions like 'what country', but that didn't seem to matter. She was a spy. She had shit on people. That made sense to Adrian.

After a moment ruminating on the question, the Kid nods.

"Okay. Sure," he says positively and without reservation. He believed she had her secrets, but hadn't he lived with his own secrets his entire life? Time to move on.

If Juno changed her mind later on about this, he'd throttle somebody.

Juno frowned, then shrugged.

"Look...bottom line, there's serious shit going down right now. The way I see it, we can work together and MAYBE someone stabs me in the back...or we can not work together and it won't MATTER if no one stabs me in the back, because I'll probably be back in one of those tanks."

"So I don't know if trust is really the right word here, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt right now. If something happens later that makes me think I'm getting doublecrossed, I'll deal with it then. Right now, there's more important shit to deal with. Aliens and robots, for example."

She looked over at Travis. "Look, if you really want to go, good luck to you and I mean that. You helped us all out on that spaceship and maybe we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. So this is me thanking you for helping us keep it together back there. I'd kinda hoped to pay you back."

"Maybe we'll get a chance to pry you out of another goop tank sometime."

Tim watched the others from the doorway of the teacher's lounge. He had seen a mass exodus from other regions of the school and understood that there would be a group meeting of some sorts. As he watched, he picked up feelings of mistrust and anger amongst the group. It was perfectly understandible, as some of the people had been less than forthcoming. It was also amusing from a voyeristic perspective.

"So how do we plan on going about to save the world from aliens?" Tim spoke finally, hoping to at least get a plan on the table.

Originally Posted By: Adrian Moss

Looking to Captain Hicks,
"Do we have any guaruntee that you won't shuve all of us into camps once this fight is over? Don't we have the right to say, 'what's in this fight for us?'"

Looking out over the room,
"The world is in danger - our home, no matter how screwed up," looing to Hicks, " but I think it's a fight we need to be in. Who else can do it? If we say no then maybe we did belong in those camps all along, because we weren't a part of humanity. I say we find out what's going on and find a way to strike back. I'm in. Whose in it with me?"

Captain Hicks gave the kids and the other Mutants a short friendly smile and tipped his helmet greeting them all without the use of any formal or military etiquette. Since Adrian was the first one to directly address him he answered his question before he’d try to explain what was going on from a military point of view.

“There are no more Camps – You guys seem to be missing out on one very important fact. Camps and all the other daily shit you’ve been worrying about in your lives won’t be there no more if we don’t pull ourselves together. I followed my instincts when I met your friends here and before any bullshit about Mutants and Humans arises – my stepbrother died last week because of that fucking Virus. I don’t know if you got those news on TV but they kept it showing for the whole day. I’m talking about Jason Estacado – I never was a friend of the MICs and if I had a say in this country I wouldn’t have allowed them in the first place.”, he sighed and took a deep breath before he continued.

“Right about now is the best time to swallow down any grudges or prejudice or whatever your problem is and think about the future. Not only the US are at stakes here – it looks like the whole world is under siege.”, he pointed at the presentation Sam had put together.

“Those robots are hard to stop. Personal weapons are no use against them. You need bazookas and heavier weapons to stop them – or Mutants. So I guess you guys here are the best weapons we got to stop this invasion and start to push back these fuckers wherever they came from. If she is able to screw up their network we have to give it a shot. If she is working for the enemy then we’re screwed anyway. I don’t know how to stop them and you don’t have a better plan either. So my question right now is – where do we have to get you to do your stuff and how long will it take? The rest of you should get acquainted to the idea that you won’t survive this thing. But there is a difference between just dying or try fighting this madness and die doing a service to your country. No one cares if you are a Mutant or not. Only the machines are taking priority in Mutants – but they kidnapped humans too. So we’re all in the same boat here.”

Hicks looked them all in the eyes and lingered a bit longer on Adrian and Becca – there was a hint of recognition but he didn’t say anything. Then he turned his head to Ronnie and winked at her. “Your show now, sweet buns.”

--

Travis

There was a short burst of pain when he turned around to look back at the assembled Mutants and the presentation displayed over the projector. His anger suddenly vaporized while he couldn’t avert his gaze from the pictures on the wall. The picture was frozen in one frame showing one of the four-armed broadly muscled and hunched over alien with 3 pairs of red gleaming eyes…

”Get the fuck outta my face you freaks!”, he was strapped to the wall and the greenskinned aliens kept prodding him. He tried to summon his Telekinesis but it failed him. Something tucked at the back of his head and cut him off from his control over his powers. He looked down at himself – he was naked and his body was bruised. There was blood all over him. From the corner of his eyes he could see cables and hoses attached to his arms and legs.

The room was dimly lit and he had trouble recognising anything that was further away than a few feet. He could make out two slim shadows talking to eachother. They towered half a feet over the greenskins and the greenskins seemed to do whatever they commanded them to. What bothered him most was the lack of any reaction to his attempts to either insult them or gather more information about what was going on. Either the aliens didn’t understand him or didn’t care. Most likely both.

A sudden jerk almost robbed him of his senses as the thing he was strapped to moved. He heard a noise very similar to a dental drill next to his ears. He couldn’t see what was going on but he felt it for sure. Blissful blackness engulfed him when the drills pierced his skin. A sole scream of pain echoed through the halls

Travis collapsed to the floor shaking as if he had an epileptic seizure. A voiceless scream was painted on his face.

(ooc: Travis - you come out of the seizure in a few seconds and feel really really bad. The pain is almost as if it was real and the headache is almost blinding. Roll Stamina+Resistance to shake it off)

Originally Posted By: Katalyst
"Look man, I don't trust anyone in this room as far as I can throw them but that doesn't mean what she said isn't true. We're in over our heads here and I think you could be of great help in keeping things from getting any worse."

Originally Posted By: Stargaizer
"Travis, you walk out on us now, and we'll never be able to trust you or your help again. You walk out because someone hurt your feelings, and we won't be able to trust you once things start falling apart. You really want to help us, to protect Ronnie? Then get over yourself and help us figure out how to save the world."

Originally Posted By: Sam
"How long do you think you can run before they find you Travis? A day? A week? You can leave here, it makes no difference to me, but you leave behind the only people that have a chance at stopping this planet from becoming someone's else's playtoy. You leaving considerably weakens our chances of success."

Travis watched as Keven stood aside. He turned to reply to the scruffy dude with the munchkins and that's when he saw it. An image on the screen, an alien. It was something he thought he'd not seen before. He froze, his eyes rolled into his head and, like a marionette whose strings have been cut, Travis crumpled to the floor in a heap of loose limbs. His head smacked into the floor and his entire body arched once and then fell loose and jerking randomly. To the doctor it looked like a grand mal seizure, to the rest it looked like something out of a movie. Travis, unresponsive, twitching like a live wire, fell through a hole in his mind and discovered part of his past.

Perhaps a minute went by before his body began to calm. His eyes fluttered open, his look dazed, confused. He saw the ceiling, the heads of people looking down on him. "What the hell was that?" he gasped.

Click to reveal..

(09:39:58) (Travis_Kincaid): Resistance (6)
(09:40:01) ChatBot: (Travis_Kincaid) rolls 6d10 and gets 3,1,10,5,6,9.
Result = 1 sux

Edit: forgot to drop a die, dropping the last die (and 1 sux)

Hurt -1 / QP 28/28 / WP 3/3

Sweet buns? Ronnie thought to herself, startled. Yes, she'd called him cutie, but he seemed surprisingly receptive. Could he be a guy who wasn't put off by her height and aggression? And then the universe showed her true loyalties.

The second Travis dropped, all other thoughts were forgotten. "Travis!" Ronnie dropped to her knees next to him, her hands checking him out. After a few seconds, she determined that she couldn't do anything; she held him gently so he didn't hurt himself while the General did his thing.

When he finally came around, Ronnie's relief was visible and her grip on his shoulders eased. "I don't know," she said, frowning. "I was hoping you'd know what that was. I don't remember you having seizures before. Is this new?"

There was no sign of an attack that knocked Travis jerking to the floor and as Tom quickly glanced around the room it was clear that everyone was taken by surprise by it. Tom was too far away to do anything himself, but he shouted over to the Doc who was right next to Travis (lucky or cause, who could tell with a room full of mutants, but at least the Doc looked surprised as well).

Click to reveal..

Awareness roll to see where the attack came from...

13:46:04) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,10,8,5,4,10,3.

(13:46:24) (Tom_Davies): 1st die Mega = 5 sux

Either no attack, or no-one in the room

Per + Medicine to see what he thinks might have happend to Travis

(14:33:04) ChatBot: (Tom_Davies) rolls 5d10 and gets 9,5,2,6,3.

(14:33:30) (Tom_Davies): 1st die Mega = 2 sux

"Doc, he's having a seizure!"

Most of the information that Kevin was recieving he wasn't processing; at least not right away. Most of it was being stored for later. That was the case with why Travis appeared to have gone into a grand mal seizure.

Kevin instinctively went into action, tilting Travis' head and making sure his airways were clear (unlike normal humans who could have their fingers bitten off by an epileptic, Kevin was significantly tougher and so could use his fingers to clear the airway) and the various other things that he could. He even allowed a little bit of his healing powers to flow into Travis.

When Travis woke up, Kevin simply said, in that same cold, lifeless voice that had been a part of him since he saw what wasn't left of the clinic, "It appears as if you've had a seizure. However, I do believe that you can give more info as to why than I can. However, I do believe that that is a discussion for a different time." Kevin offered Travis a hand to help him get up and steady himself.

Click to reveal..
Kevin is using his healing at 1/2 power, so healing one HL on Travis. Joani, you said that we didn't really have to keep track of out-of-combat quantum use... so I'm not going to... unless you tell me otherwise.

Kevin_Bridges): Medicine roll = Int + Medicine

(11:18:19) ChatBot: (Kevin_Bridges) rolls 7d10 and gets 8,9,8,10,8,3,9.

(11:18:35) (Kevin_Bridges): 5suxx @ std diff (minus 2 for health level)

Originally Posted By: May Allman
"I was hoping you'd know what that was. I don't remember you having seizures before. Is this new?"

"New to me." Travis waved off Kevin's hand and remained on the floor, "I feel like I'm gonna toss." He tried closing his eyes but found the images coming back. He looked to the screen, as the images flicked by in sequence. He pointed as the alien came up again, "They did something to me, drilled into my head. It ... oh." Travis rolled onto his side, he was barely able to pull a wastebasket to him before he vomited up his breakfast.

Click to reveal..

Bruised -0 / QP 28/28 / WP 3/3

Ronnie moved beside him; she hovered, her face concerned, even as she looked away from what he was actually doing. When he was done, she got up and got him a glass of water. "Here," she said softly, glancing up at the images again. They were familiar to her, too.

"Those are the aliens I've been talking about," Ronnie said softly. "That's what we're up against."

Joshua stood helpless as Travis suffered threw his seizure. He moved out of the way as the Doc did his thing. When Travis responded to the Doc Josh let out a breath of relief. Good he looks okay. What the hell caused that?

Originally Posted By: Travis Kincaid
He looked to the screen, as the images flicked by in sequence. He pointed as the alien came up again, "They did something to me, drilled into my head.

Joshua followed his finger and realized that he couldn't return to his normal life again. The images of the aliens pounded that reality home. A feeling of hopelessness swelled up in his gut as he listened to Cpt Hicks. "What can we do against this threat? I'm not a Soldier and if were at war, I don't know what I can do to help?"

Seeing Travis moving on his own Tom is relieved and sounds it, "You gonna be ok Travis? Perhaps you should just sit down in the corner for a while with the window open."

Tom looks back to Orphan, "Getting back to something I think something that has already been mentioned, what can you tell us about either of the alien races, their abilities, their goals, and what part you used to play in thier operation? I'm sure tha military would be intersted in any weaknesses they may have that we could exploit."

Juno, who'd been leaning back in her chair and at least appearing to listen, sat up straight when Travis fell down. She actually got up and moved over to see him better, though made a face and looked away when he threw up.

Keeping an ear on the conversations, she edged forward towards Ronnie and asked, "You okay there? The aliens did what to your head? Drilled? Was that when we were up at the moon?"

Travis finally got himself under some semblance of control and sat leaning against the wall, the door still open to the hall allowed him something akin to fresh air. "Those fuckers stole my memory, my life. Or at least that's the working theory. If I have to tear them down with my bare hands I'll do it."

"I'll be there with you," Adrian responded "Buddy". His fists clenched and he felt a newfound sense of purpose. His friend had been wronged. Sure, the world was in danger, but that was a nebulous threat that seemed nearly insurmountable. His friend being kidnapped and having his mind screwed with (he remembered first seen Travis looking so lost, confused, and alone) was something he could touch ... and it made him want to reach out and touch somebody in return.

It was simple, just like that. Enemy = Kick Ass!

Sly considered reading Travis' mind but given that scream he decided not doing that might be the smart thing. Experiencing what ever had produced that scream even second hand might not be the best idea. Looking to Ronnie, "I scanned Orphan last night when she went unconscious in the elevator on the ship. She's telling the truth about not being a willing victim. You can trust her that much at least."

"I get that you and Trav clashed somewhere," Ronnie said to the cyber-mutant. "You're gonna back off him right now." She crouched protectively next to her friend, her face stern. "He's got history with these things. They almost killed him. They almost killed me. So knock it off."

You'll have to excuse my lack of sympathy, I wish I had only been almost killed." she said sarcastically.

"No offense, but if he's gonna drop like a sack of potatoes every time he has an acid flasback, we're better off without him." It was hard to say, but the logic was sound based on what she knew.

Scanned me?! Ah crap.

Bastard's going all floppy-fish with a grand mal seizure. Tim thought as he watched Travis seizing spasmitically on the floor. He waited for the inevitable post dictal period, where the person lies unconscious and semi-comatose for a period of time, but it never came. Maybe the general's ministrations might have accounted for the lack of a calm period. Tim wondered if it was a seizure at all. Either way, Travis did not handle images of the aliens very well. Looks like I need to hang by someone else when the shit hits the fan.

The others were still not discussing any sort of strategem. They were discussing tactics and sharing information, but they were not working on an actual plan like where to attack, whether to wage conventional or asymetrical warfare, whether to garner allies or go it alone. These were things Tim wanted to discuss. You don't charge blindly against the enemy lines without having a plan. He began to go through 'The Art of War' in his head for relevent passages.

"Now that we understand the need to trust one another, why don't we start discussing stratey." Tim was annoyed, but was doing his best to hide it.

Savannah watched the spectacle unfold in front of them. She absorbed the melodrama, and the raised voices, and the seizure, and the flippant comments. Her eyes flickered up to meet her brother's, and she just stared quietly at him for a moment.

*These people have no idea what they're doing. I can't believe they managed to get us out of the tanks in the first place, although I have to be grateful for that. I'm scared, Si - Simon. I'd say we should fight them alone.. but I don't think we'd get very far. I'd say we should run.. but from the sounds of it.. there's no where to run to. What on earth are we going to do?*

Her internal voice hesitated for the briefest moment before she replaced his true name for his alias. She didn't like it, but she also didn't know when that Fox fellow might be listening in. Though maybe real names and fake names didn't matter so much anymore.

"Jesus Christ," Juno mutters as she lets Ronnie help Travis up. "A guy has a seizure and might be hurt, and you're still taking shots at him? That's just low, alright?"

She motions at the projector. "Just...lets get on with this. Like whatshisface is saying, once we're done with the slide show, we still have to work out what our plan is."

*If he can read our minds without us knowing it, then it really doesn't matter Jer. He'll keep our secrets or he won't.*

He put an arm around her, trying to soften the fear that being exposed caused both of them. His eyes flicked around the room in annoyance.

*Your right, though. This group needs an actual leader, someone who can keep them on track and away from the day-time soaps drama.*

His eyes settled on the other blond man in the room for a moment, taking in his breathing and his words and hoping that meant he was better now. Then he turned back to Hicks and the electronic woman.

"Personal weapons don't work, but military grade weapons of war do? They are vulnerable to heat then? Is there anything else that is known to harm them or slow them down? Do we have any idea of what their primary targets are or where the best place to strike at them is? Between the MIC's and losing four years of my life to alien abduction, I'm rather sick of running and hiding. If I'm going to die, I'll do it free and fighting." There was no heat to his words, but the chill of hatred there for what had happened to him and his sister could have frozen over the remnants of milk and juice in the room from their impromptu breakfasts.

Savannah looked at her brother as he spoke, then turned back to focus on Sam and Hicks as well.

"Simon's right, we're sick to death of it. I'd rather die than be taken by those sons of bitches again, but if I have to, then I'll take as many of them with me as possible. Now, hopefully that puts everybody here on the same page. What else can you tell us about them? We need to know everything."

Standing next to each other, the long-haired blond siblings looked almost identical, with only a few obvious differences. But where Simon's voice was chill with anger, Savannah's temper ran hot, and her voice quivered with hatred as she spoke.

Tom was getting fed up with Orphan's bitching at Travis, especially when the guy was metaphorically down.

"Hey Orphan, I know Travis was an arse to you last night, but that doesn't give you any right to verbally kick him when he's down. How about instead of trying to match him arse for arse you actually answer some of my fucking questions you ignored to continue bitching, and give us something useful to go on instead of just telling us what we have to do?"

Visibly curbing in his temper he continues, "Now what can you tell us about the two species, any particular strengths or weaknesses? What are your powers and what was your role in their operation? Any weaknesses to these robots they use that we or the military could exploit."

He then glances over to the twins, "Then perhaps you could fill us in with your story and powers."

Taking in the room he finishes with, "Finally we might then be able to decide what the best use of our abilities is. Taking out the network with Orphan, stand up fights against the robots, hit and run raids to prevent more mutants and people being taken or rescuing some of those taken or whatever else we can come up with. So Orphan, what can you tell us?"

Travis waves a dismissing hand at "Orphan" his expression a mixture of contempt and irritation. "I'm fine, mostly. Listen these things cored out my brain, erased my memory. That picture, it brought back a memory, and not a good one. First time this has happened in the three months since I woke up here in Vegas. You want our help, fine. I'm in, if only because I want answers more than I distrust you. Now please, answer the guy's questions."

She felt like she was talking to pieces of chalk that were being used to write a punishment sentence over...and over...and over.

Do they always repeat themselves so much, like I didn't hear the questions the first thousand times it was asked?

Alright, time to reboot, this won't get us anywhere. Sam shook her head, the look of irritation and impatience disappearing as the bleached blond hair obscured her face momentarily.

She held up a finger, "Aside from the aforementioned network and Hick's mention of massive brute force, I know of no weaknesses to the terminators."

She held up a second finger, "I only know the spider aliens, the others, the ones that control the spiders, I have never seen, though they are the ones that fear us and will be sorely missing me."

She held up a third finger, "That brings us to me. For all intents and purposes, I was a slave general. Through some ability, they controlled me, and using their network, I controlled a large portion of their invasion force. Which is why I know, that if we don't act really fucking soon, we are all burnt toast. But if you can get me into," our "...their base on the moon, I can do some serious damage."

Hicks watched the situation with some amusement and much concern. He didn't want to be an ass and tell these civilians what they were supposed to do or not but still a certain measure of discipline and order had to be established. Raising his voice just barely above the noise of the chatter he simply assumed command for a few minutes - only if to focus their anger on him if necessary.

"We're going to take a risk one way or the other. Don't debate the pros and cons too much - stick to the facts and decide if we can pull it of or not. I can call in a specialised platoon with some experimental EMP-Weapons but those have a huge drawback - they affect our tech, too. So no communications, no radar, no nothing after we fired those. I don't care if you have a grudge or whatever your problem is - hurt pride is not going to get our asses saved.", Hicks didn't look at anyone in particular but he was sure his message was clear.

"Ok - we got Orphan who is the key element for our operation. She needs protection because she's our prime weapon here. Who of you has offensive abilities, who has defensive abilities? We will make two teams - one for distraction, one to actually deliver where it hurts. I know nothing about you guys so I leave this part to Ronnie.", he nodded at the mutants and then sidestepped waving Adrian to him.

Adrian had just gotten back to Rebecca's side when Hicks waved him over. The Kid didn't look all that enthused to go over to the Army Man, but he did.

"What do you want?" he said, trying to keep the hostility out of his voice. After all, it wasn't this joker's fault that he was required to enforce the Internment Orders. The Captain was just following orders and Adrian knew he should save his wrath for those bigots and assholes who made the laws.

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
"Ok - we got Orphan who is the key element for our operation. She needs protection because she's our prime weapon here. Who of you has offensive abilities, who has defensive abilities?..."

"Best consider me a utility man, offense, defense, miscelanious others. I was ... er, am trained for Spec Ops, black bag stuff. You need me to be more specific than that?" The color had started to return to Travis' face some though he still looked visibly shaken by whatever memory he had suddenly found himself inmmersed in. "Ms. Plum here and I work well as a team, probably best to keep us together."

Archived