Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 5- Session 2: Regroup and Debrief

Justin OOC

Akina had first landed on on the Hagane to take stock of the ship and pick up Ruri. She rode back with them and returned to the Archangel once back in Lunar orbit. Amane reported in, and Akina simply nodded as if it was expected.

Then she gathered Kai, Lily, Eiji and the others, including the mecha pilots and Sven.

"Alright. We pulled off a major upset to be sure, splitting our forces like we did. This however had an unforseen consequence. Three ships, The Amaterasu, the Eternal and the Dominion all launched from Earth while we were away, and executed warp jumps for parts unknown."

"This deprives us of the opportunity to capture them, but at least we know they can't have fully finished them. Where they went is a mystery."

She looks at Noha, the recently appointed liason between the 2nd fleet and Satoshi's CRT's. "The 2nd Fleet did well suffering only one fatality, and the captured drones actually bring their stores up to full."

"Our personnel losses were heavier, but We'll manage. We lost no key personnel, and made several amzing discoveries."

She looks to each of them. "What I'd like to hear now are ways we could have done things better."

Kai looks over to Noha and Sven. "You must be The Liason to the Second Fleet. I am Kai Morisato. I reviewed the battle-ROM's nice flying out there." There was a palpable chill in his voice. The second fleet had destroyed his home and everything he held dear.

He looks over to Eiji. "And You, Lieutenant, Welcome to the table. I've been told your Zanpaktou Inazuma is remarkably strong, that You did quite well today, You have my thanks."

(Captains Nanamura, Ishiyama, Hoshino, and Kaunac are present as far as big Satoshi NPC's go. The rest is made up by the PC's. This is your chance to interact with anyone you wish, and ask whatever questions need to be asked.)

"Then I can show you to the nearest airlock. Might want to watch the first step, it's a long way to Earth."

Akina stares daggers at him and even Kai looks at him. Amane speaks up first.

"Well then Mister Brookhaven, what did you sign up for? I'm sure a contract can be negotiated."

Eiji gives the Englishman a look of disdain at his crack about children.

"As all of the so-called children performed at least as well as you in the engagment, I saw little to justify your claim of protecting them. If that was not your role, then why are you here?"

Noha looks to Kai, "Thank you." Noha looks a little out of sorts. He is not accustomed to being so overtly complimented.

Noha then turns to Akina. "If I might respond?" He straightens himself, and tugs on his uniform slightly to put it in order. "We could have partnered better and stayed in tighter formations. The enemy was able to make us play by their rules. The Invaders themselves we are accustomed to facing. It was smart to use them as a distraction and let us become complacent. Our more ranged focused combatants would be better suited to zone based defenses, with change-ups in formation as needed. Our melee focused units could focus on isolating and eliminating the enemy, with a preset limitation on the distance they're allowed to roam. If we spread ourselves too thin, then we're just inviting them to open assault on the ships. Those who are in more versatile units--such as myself--can serve as point-to-point relay and rally, filling in weakened areas as needed, and assisting the primaries."

He pauses briefly, "Overall, I think we recovered well. But the very fact we needed to do so should be disturbing to all of us, and make us ill at ease. We allowed dueling to become more important than our duty to protect. And we allowed ourselves to feel complacent in combat. That should simply never be the case."

Afterward, he adds, "I do have to thank Brigit for helping me to analyze the data. That analysis is not completely my own." Noha glances momentarily at Amane.

After hearing Geoff, Noha thinks to himself, You signed on. Shut the Hell up and do your duty.

Geoff looks at Lily with an amused yet ridiculous face. "Oh, please. You look like you're twelve." He gave a smile to her, but it was ultimately charming and condescending. "When I said I didn't sign on for this, I mean I didn't sign on for anything. This captain here decided that I was a threat to national security and dropped me in a fight in, where else, the middle of fucking space. Now if you'll explain to me what the fuck is happening and why the fuck am I here in space with Satoshi and a bunch of high schoolers?"

Akina chuckles softly at Lily's remark, unable to keep a straight face. "That's hilarious Lily, it really is."

Kai laughs too,which seems to further break the growing tension. Finally they regain their composure and Akina looks to Noha. "Work with Captain Johnson once we return to Japan, I want you two to come up with a better training program to incorporate the issues you raised more prominently in the regimine."

Amane looks to Geoff and makes a quick round of introductions. Akina, Ruri, Raisho, and herself were Satoshi Captains, Lily was an interstellar princess, Valerie a cyborg from another world, Eiji and Saito were Lieutenants in Satoshi, Noha was a Circinus Federation mecha pilot, Sven was a really a giant living robot and Georgi was a Russian Supersoldier.

"If you were really considered a threat, Raisho would have killed you as opposed to bring you along. I think the fact that you're still here, and have now seen some of the craziness that Satoshi has been dealing with, might tell a little something about how deep you've gotten into things."

Georgi remains at Amane's side. His expressionless face only broken occasionally by a brief glance at Amane, followed by a tiny lift of the mouth. A smile.

When Amane makes introductions, Georgi politely genuflects to those he is not familiar with, and smiles at those he knows. He says nothing during the introductions.

Valerie seats besides Kai as per her usual way of doing things, she nerveously looked at everbody on the table still not used to round tables where everyone stood as equals.

When the introductions were being made she barely paid them any attention, she was still feeling rather queazy after the attack and was downright feeling pity for herself, she had been almost useless during the defense mission, she couldn't really compare to the rest of the crew on their prowness, but she was too weak and inexperienced to go out into space and fight with the mech pilots.

She was feeling downright useless as it was when fighting for the Grail because she had a hard time dealing with the much quicker and experienced enemies out in the open, but now that she was fighting in close quarters with danger all over the place, she barely had space to move from fear of breaking her friends or the ship itself. This filled her mind during the meeting, barely nodding when she was being referenced or even directly spoken to.

Saito listened and acknowledged those who spoke of him. At the same time, Saito was also studying the newcomer. This Mr. Brookhaven did not seem to fully understand exactly what he had been thrust into. But he would learn soon enough.

"Miss Akina, if I may interject? I have been doing research on some of the more hidden aspects of both the Meteor Gundam and the newly uncovered Meteor Zero System and I have discovered that there may yet be hidden potential within my Gundam that a secondary pilot may be able to bring out."

Saito looked around the room at his comrades.

"If you would allow it, I would like to ask for a volunteer to assist me in my mission."

Eiji bows slightly to Saito following his invitation.

"I would be honoured Lt Saito, but I believe I would better serve the Princess by developing the skills I already possess rather than spreading myself too thin. However, perhaps in the future I may have more time to learn the skills of a pilot."

Turning slightly he then addresses the Englishman.

"You have seen firsthand that this section of Satoshi is engaged in opeations to both rebuild Tokoyo and to protect the whole planet from aliens. Would you fancy those you faced on board this ship rampaging through the streets of London? As for these 'high school children', they have been on the front line of the fight to save the planet several times and so have proved their skills and fortitude, while so far you have simply moaned abut the age of those who fought beside you."

"Perhaps part of the problem is that your training in the military probably didn't start until you were 18. My own began with some of the former Kage ninjas with stretching and acrobatic exercises from the time I could walk. Although I admit that may be an unusal case, but then Princess Lilly is over a hundred years old and as Amane has said Valerie is a cyborg from another world. Lt Saito I believe had a similarly intensely trained childhood as I did, although along different lines."

Noha pauses for a moment, until Eiji is finished, not wanting to interrupt. He addresses Saito, "Lieutenant, I have extensive training in mecha systems, but it's primarily in regard to Circinus technology. I could assist in your research, but I can't guarantee how much help that will be."

Something broke Val out of her stupor, when Saito talked about needing a Copilot for his Mech, just as she was about to talk Noha spoke up first.

"I...I would like a chance too, I think I could access the Meteor's computers in a more direct matter and I'm no slouch when it comes to technology. Because I could do much more for us in space than here inside the base." Valerie didn't rise her voice, or even her eyes, she just spoke in a matter of fact, a very proper tone and an almost begging edge on her voice.

Saito waited for his comrades to finish speaking. He had not expected such a warm reception to his mecha research, Saito was indeed relieved.

Saito looks at Eiji in order to address him.

"I thank you for your interest Lt. Eiji. But yes, I agree with you, your skills are quite well suited to protecting Miss Lily and I think that you should continue with that mission. Although, if you decide that one day you would like to train as a pilot I would be more than happy to assist you in that endevour."

He then began to address Noha.

"Actually, Mr. Noha if you know alot about Circinus mecha technology I could use your help with my research if you could find the time because the Meteor is after all a Circinus machine."

Finally, Saito turned to address Valarie. He was kind of hoping that Lily would volunteer to help but he was sure that was a lost cause because of her other duties. Valarie on the other hand is an untapped resource, no one has seen the true extent of her powers. With Valarie as his co-pilot Saito could increase the Meteor Gundam's combat level to much higher thresholds. Although Saito had trouble expressing anything in ways that did not involve combat or battle there was something else in his voice that not even he noticed. HIs voice contained a slight relief that Valarie had volunteered.

"Miss Valarie, I know that we havent spoken much but I feel that your battle skills are impressive. My research shows that you are an ideal candidate to be the Meteor's co-pilot and if you want it, the seat is yours."

Saito waited patiently for Valaries answer.

Lily gives Valerie a surprised look from her seat on Kai's opposite side, then looks back around the table at the others there.

The confused human newcomer might need more of an introduction to the situation, she thought. Maybe that was something she could help with, if she could be spared.

Ratheros poked her head up over the table rim and made a purry mewing noise, prompting Lily to absently scratch between her long, floppy ears.

Eiji returns to the original question.

"As to how we could have improved on the internal fight, I think we did fairly well. If Valerie had not just volunteered to join the pilot forces I might have suggested that she obtain or learn a melee based attack for such boarding actions in the future. Other than that I think our mobility was an issue when we need to try to keep up with the Princess. We either need to improve our speed in some way, or perhaps Lilly could learn to bring one ,or preferably more, of those assigned to protect her with her when she teleports to another dangerous location. Anyone care to add to that or comment?"

He looks around the table to see the responce.

Kai looks to Lily with a smile, knowing she can transport more than one person when she wants. "Good points Lieutenant, I'm sure we can work something out either way."

He looks to Saito and Valerie and nods. "Piloting will be a good change of pace for you Valerie. Having watched Saito Fly several times, being with him in the meteor is one of the safest places on the battlefield. I'll be able to rest easier knowing you're up there helping him."

He looks to Noha. "Thank you for offering to help. This integration of forces is going to take time, by your willingness to help, I'm sure others will follow your lead."

Akina cut him off.

"There is one othe matter Kai, before we return to Earthspace."

"Oh? what is it?"

"Amane has informed Raisho and I that Lily is capable of using Bankai. I was wondering if you could offer any insight into how that came about."

Kai looks to Lily then to Akina. "It's something that I "remembered" from you in a previous meeting. I thought she had the potential to access that power and told her. She did so, proving me right."

Akina frowns. "That may well be Kai, but you have to understand, She should not be able to use Bankai. Only those with Human blood have any sort of access to it. That's why Raisho can't use it."

Lily shrugs. "Maybe it's not as unique as you think," she posits. "Or maybe what happens to me is different than what happens to a human being."

The princess frowns, then adds, "It would help if you explained what 'bankai' is for a human. Then I could tell if that describes what it is for me."

Akina nods. "Very Well."

"Bankai is the method humanity uses to unleash it's ultimate potential power. It takes an immense amount of spiritual power, easily three times that which a normal person can manage, concentrated and forged into a single idea, and then made reality."

"There aree two forms of Bankai. The first and more common is External Bankai. This involves some form of outside object serving as the focal point. My Former Host's Bankai is one such as this, much as I am sure Kai's is. You already have seen Takashi use his." Next to Georgi Amane idly crosses her arms, remmbering the extreme pain of Takashis Bankai attack. "These Bankai usualy have something to do with elemental afinty, and because they use the Zanpukto of the user as a focus, deeply connected to the User's Psyche. Bankai like this can only be released by the user consciously or through near death."

The Second form of Bankai is much much less common. It does not use an External focus and soully runs off what is inside the user. These Internal Bankai are representations of the power stored within. Though I have yet to fully acctualize it, Akina's Bankai is an internal one. From what Amane tells me, yours is as well princess."

"Internal Bankai are not as powerful as External ones, but they are far easier to control as they are normally an extension of the self of the user. Do you understand now?"

Kai's expression becomes very guarded. "What makes you think i have access to that?"

"Because Amane reported feeling another S-class presence on the ship. I figure it's Either you, or you allowed Masane to use an immense amount of your power to Use her Ascendant Witchblade form, Which is very very dangerous."

It's this that lets everyone know that Masane isn't in the room, something that seems at odds with her possessiveness regarding Kai.

"Why is that so dangerous?" Lily asks. Then she looks around.

"Where IS Masane anyway? She's usually stuck to you like glue, Kai."

"In fact, while we're on the subject, I'm not sure I really understand what this whole 'contract' thing between you and Masane is," she goes on.

Listening in silence, georgi speaks up when he hears the explanation of Bankai.

"So, when I focus energy through my rifle and create Magnablast, I am using External Bankai?" It was plausible that such forces existed, and he'd seen them used, by Lily and the others.

Akina smiles to Lily. "I'll explain that in a moment."

She looks to Georgi. "No, the Magnablast you use is a form of Magic called Alchemy. It utilizes your own energy reserves and the strength of your convictions to create massive destructive force. Saito's spell, Accelerator is also a form of Alchemy, though it is focused on utilizing his own vitality and energy reserves to dramattically enhance his speed and combat prowess. It is a Forbidden Alchemic spell because using it more than once in succession will most certainly kill the user."

Akina turns back to Lily. "As to where Masane is, I asked Kai to have her look over something for me. I took it upon myself to protect Kai in her stead while she does this favor for me."

"The reason it is dangerous to allow Masane her Ascendant Witchblade form..."

Raisho cuts her off. "Is because she becomes nine tenths demon in that form and is a virtually unstoppable Killing machine. What's more is there are no limiters that will restrain the power of the Witchblade. The Witchblade hungers only for battle, and consumes the bearer's soul with bloodlust. It is a most dangerous weapon."

Akina gives Raisho a glare that could melt diamonds. "Yes, the Witchblade is dangerous. Masane however is the only woman to ever retain her humanity after achieving ascendancy. She willingly chose to submit to Kai as her master, which in and of itself is very special. That means she only uses his power in dire need. She took at least three hits meant for him when Amaya was trying to kill him, hits none of us could have intercepted. What's more she is our most accurate way of finding Kai as she is directly linked to Kai by the contract. They share feelings sensations and senses in limited fashion. What's more they share vitality and mana, of which Kai has exceptionally high amounts of both. Perhaps Kai, you should state the terms of your Contract."

Kai sat there, and finally nodded. "I said it was my wish to change the world for the better, and she said she would serve me to give me that chance."

Akina nodded. "Vague, and open to interpretation at the least. It could be argued you have already done so and thus she could be released. That your death did not break the contract speaks volumes about her commitment to her word though. I suppose it matters most how you feel."

Kai sighed. "I like having Masane around. She's the only person who can tell me the history of the Kage, of where i come from. She's a good friend, and has not broken her word to me. I will not break mine to her."

He looked to Lily knowing those words wouldn't be easy to hear.

"So..." Georgi paused, trying to understand. "I have what is called Alchemy. And this Alchemy spell will kill me if I use it more than once in sucession? Or is that Saito's Alchemy?" Georgi was having a hard time understanding the differing forms of Magic.

"Saito's will kill him. Yours will simply render you unconscious." Akina smiles. "Yours also is one of two forms that does not incur manaburn amongst the general populace, a truly great thing. The other is the form I know how to use, Kido. The spelll I taught to Valerie is another kind, true magic, raw and unaltered. It is very dangerous in the wrong hands and to the general populace."

Noha is trying not to look bored. Talk of magic does not concern him, and he knows nothing of these people. They certainly seem capable enough, but that's to be expected. They're still alive after all. Besides, he has a report to write up, and maintenance to perform.

When there is a lull in the conversation, he turns to Akina and asks, "Captain, do I have permission to return to my post?"

Akina nods. "Yes, Noha. Continue your duties. We will be making planetfall tomorrow, and the 2nd Fleet will remain in Orbit. The Macross Quarter will be joining us, as it looks close nough to the Macross to not arouse further suspicions. You will need to move your Kit and transfer your Machine to it."

Captain Hoshino speaks next. "I will be joining you on the Macross quarter after this meeting Noha, as I'm sure Saito will be as well. Please handle the arrangements."

Eiji looks to the assembled Captains and the Princess,

"So if we are return to Earth, what is to be our next mission? And while we are at it, anyone have any ideas how we can get better prepared for the Invaders when they next return?"

Raisho nods. "Our next mission is to begin revitalizing Japan. Though if the Macross and Nadesico need our aid on something we will assist them. That is my CRT's job. Amane will be in charge of our airspace. Ruri will be handling all the integration that will be going on, and Akina has taken charge of caring for our VIP's."

Akina smiles. "You will learn something you will need Eiji, it is my goal to teach You, Valerie, Georgi and anyone else with human blood who seeks to learn how to use Bankai."

Barring anything unforseen, we'll arrive planetside in time to rendevous with the 8th fleet of the US Navy. It is my hope that Mr. Brookhaven here will help clear us of the attacks on the other nations of the world having seen what our real foes are."

She looks around. "Saito, and Noha will do their research, and when you're finished training with me Valerie, you should work with either of them or Amane for Pilot training. Once ibis is back to full health I'm sure she'll join you all."

She spears Kai with a much sharper glare than anyone had. "You will learn to control your powers, and your Bankai, even if I have to lock you in the training dimension. Others will not follow if you are not strong enough to lead. You will be Strong enough, as an Amaha you have to be."

"Now, does anyone else have something to add? If not then we can disperse and handle what we need to do."

"No, I have nothing to add." Valerie finally lifted her look, catching Akina's eyes, and then locking on to Saito. Getting up from her seat at the table, she started to leave the room hastly, passing by Saito she made a comment. "I can't wait for you to teach me how to pilot a Mech." before dissapearing past the door and heading to the infirmary to visit Ibis.

Lily stays where she is, eyes on the floor, flicking rapidly from point to point as if reading letters there only she could see.

Finally she looked up to give Kai an unreadable look, then turned her gaze to Akina.

"There is one thing. Well...two things. Before we got...swept away to another universe, I got a message from my father. He's sent my little brother and sister to Earth. Assuming he used the fastest sort of ship we have, they should be here in a week or so. We should get some facilities ready for them."

Archived