Mutants & Masterminds: The Indigo Children - Teenage Mutant Ninja Table Talk

jameson (ST)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a PM from Kata, he's dropping from the game due to RL concerns and limited available time. From what I can tell that pretty much puts us at 3 players who are active on the site at this time.

Given this I'm putting some serious thought into shutting things down. I'm not sure what else I can do and with less than half of the PCs being active I don't think I can continue this without some pretty serious changes to the current story and the game as a whole.

What do you guys think? I'm willing to take suggestions on ways to keep this game going if you guys really want to keep it going. Speak up and be heard, now is your chance.

I only had to take a break during December 09 - work was overwhelming and I simply had no energy left at home to write anything useful - so I decided to take a time off.

But with the new year I'm back for good. And I do hope you'll keep running this game. I think it has a lot of potential and already established a good base (Penny, Wally and the Tigers I mean).

I'd like to go on - just my 2 cents.

This is less a question of who's in or not in (though that matters too) but a request for help from you guys. Something about this game will need to change, with Kata gone (again), Rodney still gone, Forge/Dom possibly gone (I haven't seem him in weeks), and Wally and Penny both having at least some level of difficulty with motivation (based on my last conversations about the game with them) even if this does go on (and I haven't decided either way just yet), changes to the game will be needed to make it run smoothly.

Because we are definitely down at least one PC and that means that the current story needs to be closed out quickly and probably via a hand of god post. Fine, I can do that. Secondly I need to see what is left to work with and decide how to proceed. If we bring in new characters we'll be slowing things down while they get up to speed and the group re-forms. I'm not opposed to this if you all aren't but we would need to find those new players.

That's what I have in my head, I'm asking you all for input on ideas I haven't thought of.

I think we really need something that pulls us together as a group. Right now we sort of exist as a series of subgroup/duos that meet up sometimes and cooperate because we have no real reason not to...but we're not a coherent team.

You have your Wally/Ozzy, your Penny/Randy, the Cole/Ramani...and of course, Batman works alone. Together, we fight crime! Sometimes. Or hunt mutants.

Which brings me to my next point...lack of a purpose. That stems from us not being unified, I think. How can we have a common purpose if there is no 'we'? However, it's useful to think in advance of things we, as players, want to do. Do we want to fight crime, a la the Turtles? If so, will that be patrolling for random crime, or hunkering down to root up some organized crime, or maybe scoring a nemesis who then conveniently seeks US out and spares us the trouble of the hunt?

I don't have answers, just questions.

For my sake, I think it would be worthwhile to establish the Black Vans as a recurring foe, with us teaming up to protect ourselves. Of course, the flaw in that is that it could provoke a siege mentality, where we hunker in the sewers and fortify the crap out of our hidey hole and then just sit there and wait. Bad.

But lets talk along these lines. What are some ways we can get together? And once together, what shall we do?

Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
For my sake, I think it would be worthwhile to establish the Black Vans as a recurring foe, with us teaming up to protect ourselves.

That had been my intent all along, that was the point behind using fiat to have you fail to free the PB, having a rather powerful and mysterious adversary show up at the tail end of that battle, and having the black vans be, if not following you outright certainly being coincidentally around at every turn.

As for making you guys team up, well that is tougher, you guys clearly have and continue to work together but it seems that there is resistance there to the PC assuming that they are, in fact, a team. Again, the early overwhelming power of the MIB was supposed to help push this but it hasn't quite worked.

Meanwhile I've been trying to layer clues and facets of the larger story. through both IC and OOC setting posts, not sure how well that is working.

Would it help if you had to rescue your comrades? I can certainly use both Rodney and Ozzie at this point, possibly even Dom or Randy to be the "damsels in distress" for you all to help. The question to you guys is: Will that work? Is that enough? If not what is missing for this to become a team dynamic with a clearly defined sense of US vs THEM?

I'd be glad if you decided to go on with this game. I do understand if you don't want to, though. Just don't waste too much time with what ifs and what nots. If it just doesn't feel right end it.

Aside from that - I'd loke to go on and if it means to get a bit of ST Fiat and Deus-Ex-Machina to reboot a new thread I'm all for it. It would be a shame if Penny was out, though. I think she is one of the key elements that makes this group interesting and entertaining.

Consider, they come together and they have to, because they're united against the MIB.

The thing is, they don't really have to. At the end of the day each "mnigroup" goes home somewhere different. Perhaps have something happen that forces them to stay together.

I'd be up for the rescue angle too.

Cole's right in this matter, I think. We need something to force bonding; April was rescued by the turtles, Casey found they led him to his goals... and so on. Can we as a group say that we have something to bind us as tight? I think that the answer from what I'm seeing here is 'no.'

So how do we get there? Short of removing other support structures, I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted By: Cole Mulvaney
The thing is, they don't really have to. At the end of the day each "mnigroup" goes home somewhere different. Perhaps have something happen that forces them to stay together.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, OOC
So how do we get there? Short of removing other support structures, I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

The cancers and deaths were intended as part of this, though I agree with Dawn and am reluctant to isolate the PCs completely by removing the remaining family and giving them nobody to turn to. I like the idea of people being able to do fictions if they so desire with those external NPCs, of course I also realize that people generally prefer to do fictions with other players over solos but such is life.

So it seems that the following is needed (correct me if I'm wrong and add anything I've missed):
  • Something to tie the group together in a more obvious/direct way.
  • Move forward past this current debacle.
  • Forward the meta story in a way that better motivates the players.
  • Another player or two to round out the group (?)

Forge and I spoke, he's bowing out officially due to RL issues at this time.

That leaves you four. In theory I can run this game with just you four, in theory I could likewise run it with as many as 8 or so (beyond that and I simply cannot handle the number of players). Ideally however I think 6 would be good.

Dunno if any non players read this but if they do and want to join let me know. In the mean time if you four could maybe spread the word that I'm looking for a few more people that would help me out.

I would say to narate the rest. Either they find the male Croc or not, but one way or another they search the area, and put the word out with ehe Mice Wally knows to be on guard for a male gator like them.

From there, or while searching even, Ozzie and Rodney and Dominic are captured by the black vans.

They don't show up at the lair rendevous. This sets up for an active campaign to find the Black vans and now follow them trying to find out more about them.

I agree. I feel like the CrocPlot™ has become a bit of a boondoggle. Losing players in the middle of things, then regaining one, then losing him again...continuity's shot. I can't speak for anyone else, but it leads to this disassociated, disaffected feeling on my part...

Rather than try to push everyone through the bitter end, it would probably be better to get a fresh start with the revised cast.

blargle ... this means a great deal of extra writing on my part to get the next chapter started, that or I ignore your requests and leave the "CrocPlot" unfinished when I start things.

There will be no experience awarded for the "CrocPlot" if you folks want to spend what you may or may not have banked now is the time. If any changes are desired for your characters you have until Friday the 5th to get me a PM with your ideas for approval.

I'm willing to put up with both options - I'd be game if we finish the plot like Dawn and Justin suggested or we draw a line and make a fresh start.

If it doesn't mean too much work for you I'd prefer option one with Justin's idea to put Dom and Ozzie off as a team.

Well if this is the case (and TBH I would prefer to not scrap something I worked to setup even if the pooch has been screwed seven ways from Sunday) I guess what I need you all to do is resume posting, and to send me any character sheet updates/changes by the end of the day on Feb 5th. Please use your old threads or start a new one with the format "[TMNT] PC name".

I'll NPC DOM & OZZIE until such time as I can deal with them in a way that removes them from the plot/game.

reminder for you folks. THIS building, unlike the one at the college, rests over the water such that a boat can float directly inside (boats are often pulled up out of the water inside the garage with pulleys and strap type cradles). Check the thread with Rodney that kicked this thing off if you want additional detail HERE

Just an FYI,

I'm no longer going to be showing my rolls, only the results.

Why? To put it simply, so I can cheat when it suits the story. This'll go both ways and much like GM Fiat, its the nature of the beast. When I fudge rest assured that a reciprocal fudge will occur on the other side of the equation down the line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived