Mutants & Masterminds: The Indigo Children - Teenage Mutant Ninja Table Talk

jameson (ST)

So the idea of using the Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Ed. rules to run a TMNT (or After the Bomb) game came up in chat today. As a fan of the property (in its original form) I'd be willing to give this a go if I could get say, 4 or 5 interested people. If you want in reply here and please state if you'd rather do TMNT Modern or the After the Bomb setting ...

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Chosen's rules 3 is all we need to start but I'd like to see about 1 or 2 more players before we get all official.

Regardings rules, PLs, and such:

I'm working on a list of rules mods and add-ons for the game. For those who are familiar with the TMNT RPG by Palladium, I'll be using that as guideline for applicable powers and such. I do not intent to use the animal psychic powers. Hopefully I'll have something together by Monday at the latest to allow for PC generation.

Some topics for discussion that came up in chat:

• Setting, New York was proposed, as was any other major city with either a Zoo or bio-tech industry (They test on animals)
  • Use of NPCs, if in NY would the PCs want to see the Turtles or would they rather not?
  • Origin - I'm working on ideas for what caused the mutations, suggestions welcome (an aerosol mutagen was suggested).
  • Upbringing/Training - Are the PCs feral? Raised by somebody? I suggested that if all the PCs agreed the Turtles themselves could be the PCs trainers (passing the mantel)
  • Do you want to start as a team or meet in game?
  • I want to run this tonally as "real" and "gritty" is that cool with everybody? Do you want something else?

Discuss, ask questions, etc. I would expect that this game will get off the ground in a couple of weeks once we are settled on the game world details and such...

I love the thought of this being gritty. As for the other stuff here goes.

Location isn't to much of a big deal, I'd prefer NY but any place would do.

Being trained by the turtles would be awesome!! If that happens, if not I'm okay with that to.

As for possible mutations, how does a clone project gone bad sound.

Solo or team both are fine for me.

• Setting - New York is a great one due to the large number of environments in it and near it, and the "safe space" of Central Park.
  • NPC's - I get a little squidgy about including iconic NPC characters. I don't think they really add much, and often detract from PC involvement, ambience and flavor, and can raise awkward questions. It wouldn't be a big deal for me, but I think I'd be against "canon" NPC's appearing.
  • Origin - I'm thinking it'd be neat if the mutations were caused by the same thing, with backgrounds varying by circumstances. For example, there could be an "uplift virus" of alien manufacture that landed on Earth on a cometary impact. Some animals were mutated to sentience in the wild from contact with it. Humans found it, and began to experiment with it, creating more mutants in captivity of which some escaped. Thus, all mutants are mutated by the same basic agent, but their backgrounds can vary depending on when and how that agent affected them. And it begs the question - Did that goo hit Earth by accident? Or did something out there do it on purpose?
  • Upbringing/Training - I think this could vary by individual concept. I'm not terribly fond of the 'trained by the turtles' idea...partly because it limits concept a bit, and partly because it begs questions about why they're passing mantles, what they're gonna do next, etc etc...ie - it puts a lot of focus on them.
  • Do you want to start as a team or meet in game? - Either way works. Or some can be teamed, and others can join in. We'll want to see what people come up with and keep things flexible.
  • "real" and "gritty" - Awesome. As real and gritty as any game with walking, talking animal hybrids can be. smile

OK to hit a few points:

• Re: Iconic NPCs - I'm fine with not doing this. And I won't force it one anybody. As such consider the Turtles and associates out as NPCs in any sort of major capacity.
  • Re: Origin - I'm very much leaning toward a linked origin. I don't want mutant animals to be something that is common public knowledge however so whatever it is will be either secret, limited in scope, or both.
  • Re: Training - this is really up to you all. If some of you want to have joined/linked backgrounds that is fine by me just work it out amongst yourselves and then let me know.
  • Re: Team - refer to the above, some of you might start together others not, up to you folks.
  • Re: Powers - I've some ideas working for this here's what I have thus far:
    • Power level is looking to be PL6
    • Powers of course should be limited to the abilities of your chosen animal
    • All powers require the Innate Power feat (1 PP) as they are natural abilities of your PCs and not some weird super power or such.
    • Powers that are not Instant duration need to be permanent (-1 PP/lvl Flaw), you cannot stop gaining protection from a turtle shell any more than you can stop being 1000 pounds (if a large creature), 3 feet tall if a small mouse, etc.
    • If using Shrinking to be a small mutant you cannot take the "normal strength" extra.
    • For anybody with a venomous animal the effects of the venom (paralysis, pains, etc) should be made as a power that has a power limit that requires your strike power (bite with fangs for example) to do damage in order to work. You need to break the skin to deliver the poison/venom. Some exceptions may be made.
    • For those familiar with the Palladium RPG assume that you have full Speech, Biped, Hands, and Looks and are normal human size. You can adjust your size up/down with Growth/Shrinking (adding Innate and Permanent) and if you want to have less than full looks, speech, biped, or hands that can be done with drawbacks. I'll try to work up a standardized point return for those soon
    • Further for those who know the old RPG, I am nixing the idea of Animal Psionics out of the gate, I never liked them and they always felt out of theme to me.
  • Re: Game style - yes real and gritty as can be considering its a TMNT inspired game. As far as the posting style, I was intending it to be GM/ST driven with the understanding that you all are welcome to post fictions for fun if you like. If you all want we can discuss making it semi-open with a central plot.

I think that covers things for now ... discuss ...

Drawback Modifiers

All PCs are assumed to have full human features, that includes bipedal stance, hands with opposable thumbs, and full speech. I'm going to assume that all PCs will have no human looks however until and unless somebody decides that they want to look human (usually its the primates that do this ...)

the following drawbacks apply if you wish to trade away your human features:

• Hands: Partial (3 points, common, moderate) – the character’s thumb is not opposable, much like a chimpanzee or monkey. Rough manual dexterity relates a –2 penalty to tasks requiring manual dexterity and/or a solid grip including the use of hand weapons and firearms.
  • Hands: None (5 points, very common, major) – the character is limited to a paw with out articulated fingers, a hoof or the like. You cannot pick up or grasp objects.
  • Speech: Partial (2 points, very common, minor) – Your speech is guttural or you lack the ability to form certain sounds properly. Parrots have natural Partial speech.
  • Speech: None (4 points, very common, moderate) – You are unable to speak human words and are limited only to the range of normal animal sounds for your type.
  • Biped: Partial (2 point, uncommon, moderate) – Much like a bear, you can stand and fight upright, speed is 1/3 normal on two legs, running, jumping kicking etc is not possible.
  • Biped: None (3 points, uncommon, major) – You are unable to walk on two legs or stand upright without support.

OK Last night I quickly belted out a PL6 version of Raphael, this version focuses more on his all out offensive attitude and would reflect a younger version (the Turtles would be closer to 100-105 PP)

Name: Raphael

Human Looks: None –A humanoid turtle. Green skin three fingered hands, leathery skin and a large shell over his torso

Hands: Full – Fully opposable thumb and fingers

Biped: Full – Upright two legged stance and walking

Speech: Full – fully developed vocal cords able to duplicate the full range of human speech.

Str 20 (+5)

Con 20 (+5)

Dex 18 (+4)

Int 12 (+1)

Wis 13 (+1)

Cha 11 (+0)

Total: 34PP

Powers: Total 17 PP

• Turtle Shell – Protection +6 (impervious)(Feats: Innate) - 6 ranks (cost 13 PP)

• Natural Swimmer – Swimming 3 ranks (10 mph)(Feats: Innate) (Cost 4 PP)

Feats: Total 19 PP

• Ambidexterity

• All-out Attack

• Attack Specialization x2 (Sais, +4)

• Endurance

• Environmental Adaptation (underwater)

• Favored Opponent (gang members)

• Fearless

• Improved Block x1 (+2)

• Improved Critcal x3 (Sais, 17-20)

• Improved Disarm x1 (+2)

• Move By Action

• Quick Draw

• Rage x2 (10 rounds)

• Stunning Attack

• Weapon Bind

Skills (8 PP = 32 ranks)

• Acrobatics 8

• Climb 4

• Intimidate 4

• Stealth 8

• Swim 4

• Notice 4

Attack Bonus (+2) (4 PP)

Defense (+4) (8 PP)

Toughness (+5)

Will (+1)

Reflex (+4)

Fortitude (+5)

Jameson, you didn't buy his weapons.

He'd need a Strike power with the Muscle extra, perhaps in a Device.

Alternatively you could use the Equipment feat, but then his sai wouldn't be "signature" and wouldn't have the plot protections a Device would have.

[jameson] 9:18 am: ok here's the idea I have, pending Max and Carver ...

[jameson] 9:20 am: 18 years ago there was an explosion in the skies above NY, something infected a wide swath of animals in the area, most died, those that

didn't all turned out to be pregnant females that eventually gave birth before dying. The infant animals were mostly horribly deformed and destroyed (or studied)

by the authorities. The PCs come from the smaller segment of the births that were viable but transformed with greater intelligence and humanoid features

[jameson] 9:21 am: this should allow for some PCs to be raised in secret by kind humans or to be feral/wild or even to be raised within a research

company/university

Another example of animal powers ... rhinoceros:

• Strike 6 (horns) (Extras: Penetrating 4, limited 4 (only on charges & overruns))(Feats: Innate, Mighty) (cost 8 pp)
  • Protection 5 (think hide) (extras: Impervious 3)(Feats: Innate) (cost 9 pp)
  • Speed 3 (50 mph)(Feats: Innate) (cost 4 pp)

The idea here is that the Rhino needs to do a charge or overrun to get the full damage and penetration effect on his horn. His hid while tough is only thick leathery skin (not hardened like a shell) and so only some level of impervious would apply. Notice all powers are innate. Speed is a power that while not instant does not require the permanent modifier as it makes sense that it is only active when the character runs.

This assumes a human size Rhino mutant, you could add Growth (Flaw: Permanent)(Extra: innate) to increase their size/mass at 2 pp/lvl +1 ...

A question about damage bonus.

The Quote from thr book on page 152 states this:

Damage

When you hit with an attack, you may deal damage. Each attack has a damage bonus. For melee attacks, the damage bonus is your str bonus, plus any modifies for powers like strike. For ranged attacks the damage bonus is usually based on the attack's power rank.

My questions is the damage bonus limited by the PL(in this case PL 6)? I can't seem to find anything where it states that the damage bonus is limited by the PL.

yes it is (Max correct me if I'm reading it wrong here) however feats like power attack can let you raise the damage beyond the cap.

Though in looking back over the book I honestly can't find something to support that.

Jameson, looks like this one is really your call.

Damage IS limited by the cap, verily.

Damage, defense, hit bonuses and save DC's. Generally speaking, if it affects combat, it's probably limited by the cap.

This includes bonuses from feats. The only time I know of you can ignore the cap is when you use Extra Effort to get a one-shot bonus to a roll or to a power's level.

Originally Posted By: Justin OOC
question do supersenses need to have permanant/innate since they already have the duration of permanent, same deal for additional limbs?

They still need to be innate, yes. They are already permanent though so you are fine there.

Originally Posted By: Katalyst
Also I know that everyone might not have the Ultimate Power book, but can we use certain things in it on a case by case basis?

I'll review and approve on a case by case basis being as most of that book is not new just expanded/clarified.

Originally Posted By: Katalyst
My questions is the damage bonus limited by the PL(in this case PL 6)? I can't seem to find anything where it states that the damage bonus is limited by the PL.
Originally Posted By: SalmonMax
Damage IS limited by the cap, verily.
Damage, defense, hit bonuses and save DC's. Generally speaking, if it affects combat, it's probably limited by the cap.
This includes bonuses from feats. The only time I know of you can ignore the cap is when you use Extra Effort to get a one-shot bonus to a roll or to a power's level.

Max is correct here (one of the things I did wrong in the sample combat on Friday, one of the MANY things ...) Damage is capped at 6 unless you use extra effort, feats like Power attack do you no good if you are already at the cap but are obviously a good way to allow your defense minded PC to have the occasional high powered hit without needing to exert themselves. Something I am considering is increasing the Power Level but still only giving you all 90 PP to start with. As this would allow you all a little more room to stretch at the outset and then allow gained PP to buff your weak areas in game without having to raise the power level.

In case this was not clear. You are all about 18 yrs old (having been gestating during the "Event" 18 yrs ago (even if only for a few days/weeks)

Also the "Event" was localized to the NYC area so you should be from that general area (though you may have been removed and raised elsewhere during the intervening years)

Archived