Aberrant: In the Beginning - Table Talk- In the Beginning

Titan

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you are trying to 'get away' with anything. I just wanted to clarify why I have always let you act first against baselines, and always will (MDex, MPer) Novas will be a different kettle of monkeys entirely laugh

BTW: I'm loving the fight, sorry it took so long to get there...

I don't think you are trying to 'get away' with anything. I just wanted to clarify why I have always let you act first against baselines, and always will (MDex, MPer) Novas will be a different kettle of monkeys entirely laugh

BTW: I'm loving the fight, sorry it took so long to get there...

Originally Posted By: Katalyst
Ah no worries then, I'm actually surprised how much damage that one strike does!
Baselines don't soak lethal damage and Crush adds auto-succ to damage, not dice.

And hey, the first nova on baseline elite action. Pity N! isn't around.

Originally Posted By: Katalyst
Ah no worries then, I'm actually surprised how much damage that one strike does!
Baselines don't soak lethal damage and Crush adds auto-succ to damage, not dice.

And hey, the first nova on baseline elite action. Pity N! isn't around.

Okay, a question/concern about the rules. Before I go any further I just want to say that I am open to how Titan interprets the rules but thought I ought to ask for clarification, as the mechanic is being used in a way that I have never seen done in this system.

In the Revised Storyteller System, Difficulty means the roll requires a number of extra dice. One may use Mega Dice to cancel these difficulties. It does not say that Mega Dice may be used to lower the target number.

On the other hand, in the OWoD Storyteller system, the ST determines difficulty both in terms of target number and additional successes required. Things that lowered difficulty were often if not always used to reduce the target number required. In WoD where one does not have Mega Dice and often siginifigantly lowered dice pools (No NPs to max out atts and skills, this was really game altering. When trinity came out, this was simplified to just extra successes in the Revised sysytem that Aberrant uses.

More questions.

I don't have his sheet but I believe the ambush rules would have given Katalyst up to +5 damage dice as well as an additional +4 from accuracy. Not that it mattered in this case but it didn't look like those dice were included in the posts and as a shakedown its always good to keep things accurate.

Okay, a question/concern about the rules. Before I go any further I just want to say that I am open to how Titan interprets the rules but thought I ought to ask for clarification, as the mechanic is being used in a way that I have never seen done in this system.

In the Revised Storyteller System, Difficulty means the roll requires a number of extra dice. One may use Mega Dice to cancel these difficulties. It does not say that Mega Dice may be used to lower the target number.

On the other hand, in the OWoD Storyteller system, the ST determines difficulty both in terms of target number and additional successes required. Things that lowered difficulty were often if not always used to reduce the target number required. In WoD where one does not have Mega Dice and often siginifigantly lowered dice pools (No NPs to max out atts and skills, this was really game altering. When trinity came out, this was simplified to just extra successes in the Revised sysytem that Aberrant uses.

More questions.

I don't have his sheet but I believe the ambush rules would have given Katalyst up to +5 damage dice as well as an additional +4 from accuracy. Not that it mattered in this case but it didn't look like those dice were included in the posts and as a shakedown its always good to keep things accurate.

The Fool makes a good point. I have played this way for 10 years, and I forget sometimes that it isn't that way in the book. So, a clarification of the rules on p. 154, italics marking changes:

She may apply her Mega-Attribute dots to the roll in one of three ways:

1) She may apply an additional number of Mega-Attribute dice to the roll, up to a limit of her Mega-Attribute rating. These Mega-Attribute dice are rollen in addition to the character's normal dice pool. Like other dice, Mega-Attribute dice need to roll a 7 or higher to be considered a success. However, if one of these dice scoreds a 7 or higher, the character gains not one, but two additional successes; and if a Mega-Attribute die comes up "10", the character gains threee additional successes.

2) She may subtract one from the difficulties of any rolls involving that Attribute, up to a limit of her Mega-Attribute rating. Thus, a character with Mega-Dexterity 4 attempting a Critical Athletics feat (+4 difficulty) may assign all of her Mega-dots to reducing the difficulty. Having done so, she rolls only her normal Athletics skill total, but makes the roll as though the task is of standard difficulty! This allocation cannot reduce any difficulty below standard difficulty (+0),as a success is still needed to accomplish the task, but it makes it much easier for superhuman characters to accomplish even the most heroic feats.

3) She may subtract one from the 'target number' needed to define success, up to a limit of her Mega-Attribute rating. Thus, the character with Mega-Dexterity 4 could lower the target number from 7 to 3, so that anything over a 3 counted as a success. This makes it possible for novas to accomplish some tasks with phenomenal success.

The player may designate some of her Mega-Attribute dots as extra dice, and others as difficulty redcutions, with still others assigned to reduce the 'target number'. She may also change the allocations of the dots from turn to turn and action to action. Please note, when assigning Mega-dice to rolls and combining with assigning dots to reducing 'target number', when rolling a Mega-die, the target is always 7.

The Fool makes a good point. I have played this way for 10 years, and I forget sometimes that it isn't that way in the book. So, a clarification of the rules on p. 154, italics marking changes:

She may apply her Mega-Attribute dots to the roll in one of three ways:

1) She may apply an additional number of Mega-Attribute dice to the roll, up to a limit of her Mega-Attribute rating. These Mega-Attribute dice are rollen in addition to the character's normal dice pool. Like other dice, Mega-Attribute dice need to roll a 7 or higher to be considered a success. However, if one of these dice scoreds a 7 or higher, the character gains not one, but two additional successes; and if a Mega-Attribute die comes up "10", the character gains threee additional successes.

2) She may subtract one from the difficulties of any rolls involving that Attribute, up to a limit of her Mega-Attribute rating. Thus, a character with Mega-Dexterity 4 attempting a Critical Athletics feat (+4 difficulty) may assign all of her Mega-dots to reducing the difficulty. Having done so, she rolls only her normal Athletics skill total, but makes the roll as though the task is of standard difficulty! This allocation cannot reduce any difficulty below standard difficulty (+0),as a success is still needed to accomplish the task, but it makes it much easier for superhuman characters to accomplish even the most heroic feats.

3) She may subtract one from the 'target number' needed to define success, up to a limit of her Mega-Attribute rating. Thus, the character with Mega-Dexterity 4 could lower the target number from 7 to 3, so that anything over a 3 counted as a success. This makes it possible for novas to accomplish some tasks with phenomenal success.

The player may designate some of her Mega-Attribute dots as extra dice, and others as difficulty redcutions, with still others assigned to reduce the 'target number'. She may also change the allocations of the dots from turn to turn and action to action. Please note, when assigning Mega-dice to rolls and combining with assigning dots to reducing 'target number', when rolling a Mega-die, the target is always 7.

...and attack successes adding to damage. Again I realize for this particular scene it doesn't matter since Nova vs unknowing unprepared baselines are going to get slaughtered. Just saying.

Also, I checked on the probabilities and Im not sure if either way really gives more of a benefit. For example lets assume Att 5 Mega Att 5 and skill 5. Normally this dice pool grants an average of 9 successes. If the Mega Dice reduce the target number to 2 and you roll the other 10 dice, it's still an average of...9 successes.

Lets say we reduce the target number to 5 with 2 Mega Dice and roll the other 3. Thats .6 success per die for the 10 rolled for an average of 6 successes but still only .9 per the 3 mega Dice rolled for an average of...9 successes...

What about when the difficulty is increased? Lets say you are going for a called shot to the eye: +3 difficulty. If you roll the above Dice Pool straight, you would net 6 successes on average.

If you use 3 Mega Dice to reduce the dificulty to normal and then roll 10+2 you are going to get, on average...6 successes.

So mathematically speaking one method is not more viable than the other. On the other hand Mega Dice are finicky so sometimes you can get alot more successes than normal if they come up as 10's...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled game... smile

...and attack successes adding to damage. Again I realize for this particular scene it doesn't matter since Nova vs unknowing unprepared baselines are going to get slaughtered. Just saying.

Also, I checked on the probabilities and Im not sure if either way really gives more of a benefit. For example lets assume Att 5 Mega Att 5 and skill 5. Normally this dice pool grants an average of 9 successes. If the Mega Dice reduce the target number to 2 and you roll the other 10 dice, it's still an average of...9 successes.

Lets say we reduce the target number to 5 with 2 Mega Dice and roll the other 3. Thats .6 success per die for the 10 rolled for an average of 6 successes but still only .9 per the 3 mega Dice rolled for an average of...9 successes...

What about when the difficulty is increased? Lets say you are going for a called shot to the eye: +3 difficulty. If you roll the above Dice Pool straight, you would net 6 successes on average.

If you use 3 Mega Dice to reduce the dificulty to normal and then roll 10+2 you are going to get, on average...6 successes.

So mathematically speaking one method is not more viable than the other. On the other hand Mega Dice are finicky so sometimes you can get alot more successes than normal if they come up as 10's...

We now return you to your regularly scheduled game... smile

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
Also, I checked on the probabilities and Im not sure if either way really gives more of a benefit...
Ditto. I think it varies depending on the situation and there's no hard and fast rule... but it does make things more interesting.

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
Also, I checked on the probabilities and Im not sure if either way really gives more of a benefit...
Ditto. I think it varies depending on the situation and there's no hard and fast rule... but it does make things more interesting.

Katalyst- I've got good news and bad news. The good news is, you don't have to pay qp for Accuracy, it's free! The bad news is, it requires a turn to aim. You could spend that qp on Quickness instead, and attack both of them normally (probably a good option, considering your skillz), or you could spend the point on Quickness, take one turn to aim, the other to kill one of the guys, or you could do something completely different... let me know, and that's what we'll do...

Katalyst- I've got good news and bad news. The good news is, you don't have to pay qp for Accuracy, it's free! The bad news is, it requires a turn to aim. You could spend that qp on Quickness instead, and attack both of them normally (probably a good option, considering your skillz), or you could spend the point on Quickness, take one turn to aim, the other to kill one of the guys, or you could do something completely different... let me know, and that's what we'll do...

Archived