Aberrant: 200X - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

Greetings,

I'm a newcomer to these forums, which I found while looking for some online Aberrant action. Little did I suspect I would find such a community still active but I'm glad I did.

I figured that 200X looked like the game for me but I also figured it'd be better to wait until the ST drama died down. I plan on submitting a character once the new mods are determined.

In the mean time, I want to check something against the players so that the history I have in mind will pass muster. The character has a background in law enforcement and I'd like the first major event in his career to involve the capture of "the first known" nova serial killer in Boston in September 2002. I don't think this conflicts with canon. Would it conflict with the campaign history or anything already established?

Also, I built the character as starting with 50 NP just to be safe. If I have more coming to me I can always find a use for it. smile Also, since this game seems to have a lot of legacy, if anybody would warn me about any radioactive house rules or anything like that, I'd appreciate it.

I look forward to starting.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the fun house, Jammer.

Quote:
Would it conflict with the campaign history or anything already established?

200X isn't 100% Canon. We keep some of the major events and make up the rest. Your character's request certainly doesn't seem that unreasonable. It sounds like a good read, police dramas always are.

I don't see an issue with it, but I'm just one player. Let's see what others think.

Welcome aboard, Starjammer!

As for your questions, I don't think your proposed background will be a problem for anyone. It sounds interesting, more than anything else.

As for House Rules, as of right now those are all more or less covered in the 200X Bible, and there are also a few threads in the main forum (which you should be able to identify simply by their titles) wherein players discuss proposed additions/changes to the rules. Once we get some Mods installed I have a feeling that a few of the rules will change as time passes, but I don't think they'll be major changes, and I'm sure they'll be posted up where everyone can see them, and even then it'll most likely be after a public discussion and vote has been held on them.

In any case, we like to play things a bit fast and loose in here, and won't hesitate to talk to a player if they do get a bit out of hand. So don't worry too much, just read the Bible, create a character, and post the sucker. And then get to writing!

Starjammer, as the backstory for one of my characters (Neil Preston), his father is a Precognative Cop in Boston, but he didn't erupt until 2006. If this happened before then, cool beans. If it happened after 2006, its still cool. A precog can't catch everything.

Are you going to make Boston your home, I would like to talk to you about a few things that happened in the 2019 forum when it was still active, to see if they mesh with your ideas for the city.

Welcome to the board.

My serial killer struck in September 2002. Also, he was obscured from metasensory powers.

The character's not native to Boston. He grew up in Atlanta and keeps his residence in L.A. but travels a lot. However, he does have a lot of law enforcement contacts (Contacts 5) and might very well know Neil's father in that regard.

I'll go ahead and post the character for review.

5s in every Att, and pretty much every ability in the game?

It's legal, but probably not a PC I would play myself.

The first thing that strikes me, though, is that you bought specialties with NP. According to the book, they're bought only with XP or BP.

EDIT: I should clarify my first statement.

At least 1 in every M-Att. 5s in all Atts. 111 dots in Abilities. No Flaws, no Taint. The biggest challenge I can see in his future is how you're going to play a character who's essentially Mary Poppins: "Practically Perfect In Every Way." Is there anything he isn't good at? Anywhere he falls short?

Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC
The first thing that strikes me, though, is that you bought specialties with NP. According to the book, they're bought only with XP or BP.

APG p.66 suggests Specialties for NP as an optional rule. Basically, trade 1 ability point for 2 specialties. If this is not available, I can change it.

5s in every Att, and pretty much every ability in the game?

It's legal, but probably not a PC I would play myself.

EDIT: I should clarify my first statement.

At least 1 in every M-Att. 5s in all Atts. 111 dots in Abilities. No Flaws, no Taint. The biggest challenge I can see in his future is how you're going to play a character who's essentially Mary Poppins: "Practically Perfect In Every Way." Is there anything he isn't good at? Anywhere he falls short?

Hmmm... A character with near-perfect ability in every field of human endeavor, with a Caretaker nature, who feels driven to punish the guilty and protect the innocent. Who does this remind me of? And are there enough stories there to, say, build a decades-long franchise of multiple comic books and wildly successful movies around it? joke

Obviously, the key lies in how the character is portrayed, not the dots on the character sheet. The burdens for such a character are obvious: However much he does, could he have done more? Could he have been faster? Saved someone who was lost? When he takes charge of a situation, it and the people who follow him into it become his responsibility. How does he deal with them?

On another note for this character: he's gotten famous as a crime-solver. On some level, he's profiting from others' tragedies. How does he feel about that? How does he react to that? How do others react about that?

No, in this case, the dots on the character sheet literally do not tell the story.

Welcome to the boards SJ. Sounds like you have a good handle on the story concept, not meaning your character's personal story, but rather, how to create a good story that will be enjoyable for others to read. Always good to have that skill. smile

Also, of note, per the rules, everyone starts out on an equal footing and the current NP allotment is 58 nova points. Also, you can take up to quantum 3 for free without paying for it. That might make a difference on how you spend your points. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to spend that many nova points, only that you have that many available. Daniel was originally created with 10 nps, I think, or maybe 15. We designed it that way so that you could create with less nps and grow your character more naturally through the stories you tell rather than waiting for some xp dump at the end of a chapter or something. Example, Daniel will be buying Mega Int with Eidetic memory after the party fic is over. Not that I set out with the intent of purchasing mega int for the character but he's so focused on remembering what he is doing right now that it makes sense for him IC even though it doesn't really benefit him in terms of my plans for the character's future. Kinda fun playing it that way actually. smile

Thanks for the compliment, Fox.

I added the 8 NP: Armor 1, Intuition 2, Mental Prodigy: Investigation. Things the character should have but I couldn't squeeze in. My early XP will likely also go that route, mainly towards enhancements.

I already have a good handle on where I want to go with the first story. I just want to wait for the mod transition to be official before I start it up.

Re: Boat Party.

Thanks a lot guys. Seriously. I stated more than once that I was planning on having Caitlin strip down and go skinny-dipping, and I know for a fact that those of you involved were aware.

But you guys had to do it first.

Tell you what. Next time you guys mention doing something fun/wacky/zany/crazy with your character, that'll add some interest to a fic and help give people an idea of what they're like/how they've changed, I'll step in, and we'll see how much fun it is for you.

(And, no. I don't particularly care if anyone thinks I'm over-reacting. I'm pretty effing ticked right now.)

No offense meant, Vivi, but I'm not going remember everything someone says out of character in chat about something their character might do. It's skinny dipping. We're on the ocean and most of the boat is made up of Europeans or teenagers. It's not that unlikely that several people would come up with the idea of it. If you want Fianna to do something 'fun/wacky/zany/crazy', I'd suggest something a little less common (<-- not meant as sarcastic).

No one was trying to one-up you or take something away from you (at least as far as I know). And if skinny dipping -is- zany for Fianna and anyone knows her well enough to -know- that, her joining in will still have the same effect.

Let me clarify.

1. Neither you nor Shae are involved in this particular scenario. I'm referring to a specific person or persons who were well aware of my plans. It was not simply a one-time or vague declaration of intent. Whether they did it deliberately or not, the end result is the same. Mind you, I don't assume it was intentionally malicious on their part, but the fact remains that toes were stepped on, and I'm exceedingly unhappy because I don't think it should have happened. Lack of courtesy, lack of communication, etc. Hell if I know why it did.

2. No one "knows" Caitlin to have any idea what she'd do, so your suggestion doesn't apply. I intended the spontaneous skinny-dipping specifically to create a particular perception. Is something like that possible now? Maybe, but the original effect is essentially ruined.

3. I'm angry. Asking me to be reasonable and pleasant right now is, unfortunately, not going to be successful.

The mechanics you discussed were previously clarified for me in other posts. As I stated, not all of us have the APG.

Thank you for your response.

Sorry, those were posted while I was still composing my response. Probably should have edited my response when I realized someone else had answered for me. My bad.

Fianna et al -

Totally my bad. I'm sorry about that, and apologise without reservation.

Yes, twas I who stole the idea, and it was wrong of me. I didn't really think about what I was doing due to time pressures at the time I was posting (i.e: someone poking me to come play TT with them).

Naturally, I'm incredibly embarrassed. blush

Sorry again, Fianna. aaa

PS: Oh, and for the record, you are perfectly within rights to be pissed at me. I for one, as the primary culprit, do NOT think you've overreacted. I'd be irritated profoundly too.

Elle, to get that code to turn into dots, you need to select "Using HTML and UBBCode" in the drop-box just above the submit button. And no worries about stealing format - I think I may have stolen mine in part from Reven... :P

(I play Jael, just FYI)

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to know why the ability to convert characters from 2010 (which had been approved in the original Bible) was excluded completely from the 200X Bible.

I would also like to know why the moderators did not feel the need to inform anyone of the change, particularly since there are existing characters who were transferred over from that forum.

Logic should tell you that perhaps there has been a mistake made somewhere. Instead of of trying to make is sound like a conspiracy against the players just inform us of the problem so we can handle it.

Shae was in charge of the Bible, it's not perfect. We'll get with it and find out where the error or break down in communication occurred.

Until further notice, and an appropriate vote by the players of 200X, the capability to import 2010 characters over into 200X is still permitted.

Actually, I did inform you. I informed you, specifically, that the paragraph referring to 2019 and 2011 did not actually mention 2011, and should. The response was to remove all mention of it completely.

If you want to berate me for a lack of logic, please be entirely certain that your accusation is well-founded, and does not include action, or lack thereof, on your own part.

Hi I'm new here, and just posted my first character. If someone could look it over and tell me all the mistakes I made, it would be appreciated. If Objet D'art is unacceptable or overpowered I have no problem replacing it (with Immaculate or Blind-Bewitchment-Voice probably).

Thanks for the opportunity to join this amazing community, and hopefully I won't fuck it up too bad.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Edward Mansfield-

The character profile for Edward Mansfield is incorrect. The XP expenditure for the cipher background is inaccurate at least as far as I can tell and I've done the math several ways.

Please look into and correct this.
Rev, as far as I can tell her math is correct.

The rules for Background xp-costs are: 2xp for the first dot; [current rating] x 2 for each dot thereafter. So, Edward's 1st dot of Cipher (or any background) = 2xp. His 2nd dot of Cipher (or any background) = 2 x [current level] (in this case 1) = 2. 2 + 2 = 4xp.

So I think Edward's cool.

Originally Posted By: Jason Bellefleur
If Objet D'art is unacceptable or overpowered I have no problem replacing it (with Immaculate or Blind-Bewitchment-Voice probably).

To keep the enhancement more in tune with other enhancements I remove the [Mega-App] Auto successes and replace it with +3 auto successes.

Other enhancements seem to follow the '3 Auto' standard, I'd recommend that in this case as well.

With one simple adjustment, barring any other players having an issue with the enhancement, I don't see a problem with it.

And welcome to 200X, do try to enjoy yourself.

Originally Posted By: Jason Bellefleur
Hi I'm new here, and just posted my first character. If someone could look it over and tell me all the mistakes I made, it would be appreciated. If Objet D'art is unacceptable or overpowered I have no problem replacing it (with Immaculate or Blind-Bewitchment-Voice probably).

Thanks for the opportunity to join this amazing community, and hopefully I won't fuck it up too bad.
After talking with KO's player first, and making sure he'd been fully apprised of your new entry (and approved of it - which he does), allow me to say: Welcome aboard, Jason!

I look forward to seeing what you contribute to the forum! smile

Having said that, I would agree with what Rev said about the Objet D'art enhancement, and would add that I think it should have a cost of 1qp per scene. However, our normal method of dealing with new enhancements/powers, is to put it to a vote, and let everyone (player and Mod alike) put in their .02 cents, so my above comments are hardly a passing of judgement or anything.

Also:
Quote:
Then it has been corrected by the player and there is no longer an issue.

It previously stated -6 XP for two dots of Cipher.

And in the future, ladies and gentleman, when you correct issues with a sheet, have the courtesy to post that you've done so.
My mistake, then. I only saw it in its (apparently) corrected form.

Archived