Aberrant: Dead Rising - OOC Stuff

The Fine Balance

Guest Anonymous

FYI, if you're not intending on doing anything, you should probably post something to that effect. This is especially true for flying characters.

I.e. "Morgan keeps an eye out for other threats and attacks any zombies that get close to the group." Or maybe "Morgan hovers 200 meters above the mystery woman and tracks her movements."

Ditto if you're in an extended action and are intending to not get sucked into the fight.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've posted to that effect at least twice now, but haven't gotten any response telling him that he sees anything or doesn't see anything. Waiting for some kind of update before posting a third time saying the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Mystery woman's got multiple automatic weapons trained on her by people who know how to riccochet bullets off cars, mirrors, and milkjugs and still hit a target. I don't think she's going anywhere. Meanwhile, apparently James is airborne and has been for a few days

I'd been assuming the rest of you were a round or two ahead of him. I don't mind James landing, but when he does... what does he do? Is the mystery lady surrendering? Resisting? Something else?

What I'd like to do is grab her wrist and walk back and let Violet start talking to her. But that sounds like a contested action. I think I'll post it and see what happens.

And if anyone is ever waiting for me, feel free to poke me. sleep

I'm kinda waiting on an update. Last word I had was that if we didn't get a move on we would be surrounded by too many zombies to shoot our way out of... How long does it take to get the single vehicle back on the road? How close are we cutting it?

I stumbled over something that may be balance breaking in this setting and I want to know from you all how you think of this.

What if Violet would produce SOMA with her Poison power? The idea came to me while I was looking for a way to put the power into good use (spiking drinks for Novas like the Amp Wells for example).

Now the rules read that it provides Mega-Stats for Baselines and would enhance Novas by giving them an extra dot on all their Mega-Attributes and powers (correct me if I'm wrong).

I suppose Alex will house rule that it won't work in this setting but if not Violet would have a way to "buff" people for dangerous cases (its effect holds up to 4 hrs).

What do you think?

I stumbled over something that may be balance breaking in this setting and I want to know from you all how you think of this.

What if Violet would produce SOMA with her Poison power? The idea came to me while I was looking for a way to put the power into good use (spiking drinks for Novas like the Amp Wells for example).

Now the rules read that it provides Mega-Stats for Baselines and would enhance Novas by giving them an extra dot on all their Mega-Attributes and powers (correct me if I'm wrong).

I suppose Alex will house rule that it won't work in this setting but if not Violet would have a way to "buff" people for dangerous cases (its effect holds up to 4 hrs).

What do you think?

My 0.02:

Soma is created from the nodes of dead novas. Also its deadly to baselines.

I wanted to say that I am loving to hate violet. SOMEONE needs to come along who wont be so bloody manipulatable. I was hoping there for just a second that Courier was going to have James see through her little control trip and put her in her place, but nope...he just wants more pussy.

I considered being that SOMEBODY but after making their little harem I am pretty sure my PC's non-plussed attitude would matter all of Jack and Squat.

:Sigh: Oh well...

On with the smut.

RE: Poison

It's not setting breaking... as I recall it's instantly addicting, grants a lot of power, but gives a price to match it. Basically anyone you give this to is probably going to die of it sooner (with baselines) or later (with novas).

But given V has never been exposed to it I'm not sure how she'd create it on her own. Eat a fellow nova's brain? She's not a mega-int drug researcher and she's not averaging an obscene number of succ for her poison power. For that matter you'd probably need something like 5+ succ to create soma.

RE: I was hoping there for just a second that Courier was going to have James see through her little control trip...

Who says he hasn't? Even with his big Manip of 2 he has a fair idea he's being used... but now explain why that's a bad thing. smile

More seriously, from his point of view since he's the man and the others are all female *obviously* he's in charge. So far it hasn't occurred to him that he's not, and Violet has been careful to not ask him to do anything he's not inclined to do anyway (an excellent use of and protrail of Mega-Socials Joani).

Where we would quickly run into problems is if Violet attempted to add another man to her harem (and it is her harem now... even if James hasn't figured it out).

RE: I am pretty sure my PC's non-plussed attitude would matter all of Jack and Squat.

James assumes numerous people don't approve of his lifestyle. This was even true when he was only sleeping with two women.

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar

<...>

What do you think?

As someone waiting for a moment to jump in and join, I thought it was ok for me to put forward my thoughts on this.

Drugs using the Poison power is fine, but I would strongly recommend urging Alex to require Mastery for it to create nova-affecting drugs. The reason I'd put such a high requirement on it is that Mastery would 1) bring the ability to grant the number of sucesses needed to make it effecient and 2) acknowledge the incredible understanding that Violet would then have of poison and how it works.

For the baseslines, creating Mite would give them a buff (and lead to their death through heart failure eventually) but it would do the job. That'd be up to Alex, naturally.

[Note: This is my opinion only. Thanks!]

but now explain why that's a bad thing. smile

Because after Violet berated Jennifer its obvious to even this gentle reader that she is nuts and unstable. You know what they say: You date Crazy, You fuck Crazy...but you don't take Crazy home.... grin

James assumes numerous people don't approve of his lifestyle. This was even true when he was only sleeping with two women.

I was talking more about Violet actually. I would love to introduce a character that would be totally non-plussed by her manipulations, even seeing right through them. Of course in order for it to actually matter he would probably have to be attractive enough that Violet would notice and actually try to wrangle him in to the harem, which means probably Mega Strength and/or Mega Appearance.

Anyways its an idea I have been considering for the story...I would only really do it though if you and Joani thought it would add to the story. Stil the thought of someone finally putting that manipulative biotch in her place amuses me, metagaming or no.

Of course its a testemen to Joanis excellent writing and characterization that I have come to love to hate her so much. Kudos. smile

IMHO, creating SOMA is the province of Matter Creation, not Poison. At best, Poison creates bacteri and viruses. It's pretty clear that what the power is meant to do is either a short term instant attack, or a long term dehibilitation, not a drug high with residual effects.

Violet is a wonderful character. It doesn't mean I won't cheer when/if someone brings her down a peg.

I'm kinda flattered here. I didn't know that character would find so much positive response.

If Poison is the wrong power then my idea is void anyways. That's ok with me - that's what an ooc-thread is for.

@Sky - You can create any character you want to. I'm not sure if things work out the way you thing they would. Having someone around who tries to put her in her place, as you describe it could be challenging for both of us. Complication is always the key for creativity in fiction. We just need to be aware that it's just a game and it's not about winning. But I think I don't have to point that out to any of you.

Thanks to all for the nice compliments - I was nervous about this character because of her theme and Courier encouraged me to go ahead with it. I'm glad it worked out so well thus far.

Quote:
Because after Violet berated Jennifer its obvious to even this gentle reader that she is nuts and unstable. You know what they say: You date Crazy, You fuck Crazy...but you don't take Crazy home.... grin
James is working on it... the core problem isn't Violet. Violet is howling at the moon mad by definition since she's not really a person. She's Jenifer's sex drive given free will. What James needs to do (and what he came close to doing but dropped the ball at the last moment) is to bring Jennifer to sanity.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
You know, I haven't actually been reading the FNF thread... As long as Violet doesn't do anything to destabilize the community he won't care.
In RL I had a gaming group fall apart because one of the members cheated on another with yet a third. Very few things are as destabilizing as sexual politics.

Quote:
Violet is a wonderful character. It doesn't mean I won't cheer when/if someone brings her down a peg.
I'm working on it...

I'm kinda flattered here. I didn't know that character would find so much positive response.

If Poison is the wrong power then my idea is void anyways. That's ok with me - that's what an ooc-thread is for.

@Sky - You can create any character you want to. I'm not sure if things work out the way you thing they would. Having someone around who tries to put her in her place, as you describe it could be challenging for both of us. Complication is always the key for creativity in fiction. We just need to be aware that it's just a game and it's not about winning. But I think I don't have to point that out to any of you.

Thanks to all for the nice compliments - I was nervous about this character because of her theme and Courier encouraged me to go ahead with it. I'm glad it worked out so well thus far.

Absolutely. Its not about winning. Its for that very reason that I am proposing it here. I would only go forward with the idea if we were all to talk and at least semi-script what and how we would like to see go down. All to make a better story. PM me if you are interested, Courier and Joani. If youre not interested thats fine too.

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
Absolutely. Its not about winning. Its for that very reason that I am proposing it here. I would only go forward with the idea if we were all to talk and at least semi-script what and how we would like to see go down. All to make a better story. PM me if you are interested, Courier and Joani. If youre not interested thats fine too.
For James his relationship with these women isn't about sex, it's about children. He's a survivor, the species is going down, he is trying to round up mates. With as much sex as is going on someone (hopefully several someones) is going to get pregnant. Not that he's opposed to great sex, but that's a bonus, not a goal.

We're headed back to a tribal sort of life. Men are bigger because in our genetic history all women, but only some men, reproduce. That means there are winners and losers in the genetic lottery and him heading off with more than his fair share of hot women is selfish... and he doesn't care. I was tempted to make him a Bravo but decided with this setting the non-survivors get eaten.

James would react to attempts to break up his relationships with hostility. From his point of view you'd be threatening his children, which puts all kinds of unpleasant alternatives on the menu. OOC I wouldn't mind someone trying to break up the harem... but I think you're playing with matches and gasoline.

Quote:
For James his relationship with these women isn't about sex

Riiiiight.... wink

Actually I was thinking less about "breaking up his relationships" and more about showing violet for the manipulator she is. I would think it more interesting and more realistic to introduce someone that Violet couldn't say no to, but who could say no to her powers and see what kind of drama that could play out. As for plaing with gasoline...I would be sure to make someone who is up to the challenge.

I guess what I am asking is if such a thing would be desireable or fun.

It got me thinking when I read the recent segment where Jennifer is in control...but then James wigged out and it brought viloet to the forefront. To me it would have been more dramatically unsatisfying if James hadnt catered to Violets wishes and actually told her off for her callous treatment of her alter ego's feelings. I mean the girl is sick in the head man. It would also be cool to see her go crazy and James has to physically defend himself while suddenly realizing she is just a strong as he is... shocked

Basically anything to change up the lovey dovey, "ah honey, dont be upset vibe..."

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
Quote:
For James his relationship with these women isn't about sex

Riiiiight.... wink

Actually I was thinking less about "breaking up his relationships" and more about showing violet for the manipulator she is. I would think it more interesting and more realistic to introduce someone that Violet couldn't say no to, but who could say no to her powers and see what kind of drama that could play out. As for plaing with gasoline...I would be sure to make someone who is up to the challenge.

I guess what I am asking is if such a thing would be desireable or fun.

It got me thinking when I read the recent segment where Jennifer is in control...but then James wigged out and it brought viloet to the forefront. To me it would have been more dramatically unsatisfying if James hadnt catered to Violets wishes and actually told her off for her callous treatment of her alter ego's feelings. I mean the girl is sick in the head man. It would also be cool to see her go crazy and James has to physically defend himself while suddenly realizing she is just a strong as he is... shocked

Basically anything to change up the lovey dovey, "ah honey, dont be upset vibe..."

The question is if the idea or the character is only based on that theme/goal to show her how bad she is. That would feel wrong to me - also someone who would be immune to her powers - but maybe that's the only way to get it done.

What I'm trying to say is - just making a character for the sake of showing her how sick she is without taking the greater picture and theme of the game into account would feel wrong to me. I wouldn't like that. I think you wouldn't like it either if I made a character "just" to counter one yours in a game, because I think it would be intriguing or interesting. And... James may take him out or Violet would ask him to the moment she realizes your character is up to no good from her pov.

I don't know if it would be disruptive to the whole game as such (not only that little sidetracked story Courier and I have indulged ourselves with) but I'm not the one to judge upon that.

Quote:
James hadnt catered to Violets wishes and actually told her off for her callous treatment of her alter ego's feelings...
1) James can't hear V vs. Jen's conversations.
2) James is of the opinion that there is no Violet, there is only Jen.
3) James has a strong willpower... but Violet regularly normally gets 5+ more succ than he does.

Point #3 is especially important and should explain all sorts of behavior issues (James "wigging out" for example). And also note this before we start going into things like Empathic Manipulation, and the fact that James has no IC reason to bother spending willpower against Violet since she has yet to abuse (in his opinion) her hold on him.

Something I was going to PM Joani about but instead will mention here is that Violet has been pretty generous in her use of powers. Rolling Jill, then Jill & James, then she dormed down and broke the scene, then Jennifer used various powers, then Violet again, and there was a lot of shape shifting in there.

Violet may find herself out of juice and in danger of her hold slipping over Jen quicker than she realizes.

Originally Posted By: Courier

Something I was going to PM Joani about but instead will mention here is that Violet has been pretty generous in her use of powers. Rolling Jill, then Jill & James, then she dormed down and broke the scene, then Jennifer used various powers, then Violet again, and there was a lot of shape shifting in there.

Violet may find herself out of juice and in danger of her hold slipping over Jen quicker than she realizes.

Aww... you spoiled my surprise. I had that up my sleeve as a come back for Jen. wink

The question is if the idea or the character is only based on that theme/goal to show her how bad she is. That would feel wrong to me - also someone who would be immune to her powers - but maybe that's the only way to get it done.

What I'm trying to say is - just making a character for the sake of showing her how sick she is without taking the greater picture and theme of the game into account would feel wrong to me. I wouldn't like that. I think you wouldn't like it either if I made a character "just" to counter one yours in a game, because I think it would be intriguing or interesting. And... James may take him out or Violet would ask him to the moment she realizes your character is up to no good from her pov.

I don't know if it would be disruptive to the whole game as such (not only that little sidetracked story Courier and I have indulged ourselves with) but I'm not the one to judge upon that.

The character is prexisiting and has more going on thatn just what I am discussing here. I just realized after the incredibly long smut thread that *someone* needs to be immune to her powers of emotion manipulation...though that still might not be enough if she can bend the entire base to her emotional whim. Of course its tricky bizniz since emo control isn't dominate...but with enough manipulative skills if can come close.

The Captain hasn't fallen into her net, and he is the leader of the community. Not saying that he wouldn't if she extended her attempts at control to him, but that hasn't happened yet. So it's not like Violet is a big spider pulling all the strings and manipulating everyone around her. Of course he also doesn't realize that Violet and Jennifer are the same person either. After they get back from the current mission he has a meeting with Jennifer that has been postponed. Things might get more interesting once that happens.

I don't see that there's a problem... and that's both IC and OOC.

Right now her "web" is filled with...

1) A somewhat lusty male nova who doesn't think there's a problem.

2) A female baseline heterosexual nova groupie who is willing to have sex with a female nova as part of an ongoing effort to erupt.

3) A female baseline bi-sexual with lesbian leanings who is willing to sleep with a male nova as part of on ongoing effort to survive and rebuild her family.

Each of these is a pretty flawed character but I don't see the situation expanding without falling apart. James would go ballistic if V tried to add another male. Even adding another female would be pretty hard.

The most abused character in the entire sorted mess is Jennifer, and IMHO that is self inflicted. The day may come when V simply ceases to exist as Jen takes responsibility for herself. Everyone else is outright using everyone else for their own ends.

The same goes for Dan, he hasn't met alot of the people, and indeed that's because he wasn't there when everyone showed up. At the moment I've got him blazing a trail through the Zombies because this is what he excels at. It will be interesting to see what happens once he actually has time to interact with others.

When I created Violet for this game I thought it was a good idea to make a character that does not have a military or similar background. So I made a character with social focus which I believed would be very interesting.

Before you start with the wolfhowling - the character is not only about what the Frolic thread may make you think and even though it is "smut" it helped develop the character a lot. I'm really looking forward to have some more social interaction with the others (not what you think). The whole setting is extremely interesting and challenging.

I agree...the FNF thread turned what could have been another cliche into a truly interesting and 3-D character.

Having said that I think its creepy that those two are already using the big "L" word with each other. T'aint no mistakin' lust for love...

lets change topic - maybe we should get our act together and see that the main thread proceeds - what exactly are we waiting for? An update from Alex or did someone else miss something (including me? - V is trying to help get the truck ready, that's my last action)

I think we are waiting on an update from Alex. The characters have done what they can and stated actions. We should have one working vehicle. Fox intends to lead the group on to the destination. The intent was to pick up more vehicles there anyway so, we should be able to get tires and replace what was lost and then possibly get the ones we are leaving behind on the way back to the base.

Archived