Wakinyan

An idea hit me today that I wanted to bounce off everyone.

What if we advance the books timeline?

What I mean by this is tack on ten years to every date that the Aberrant books give us. The why to this is simple, there has been ten years that now separates us from the Aberrant world. We are now playing in the year this book starts in when the whole idea was a future with Novas. So instead of backpedaling back to 1998 for the start of the Nova Age why not make it 2008? That gives us a fresh start just like the book did when it came out. It also allows us to use pop culture and historical events that happened in the last ten years.

I do admit this might cause some issues and new people will need to be aware of the change. I feel it's only a slight tweak that might have long term benefits however. If not I'll just shut up and wait to get started as is.

Thoughts?

That would put the 200X setting right in the middle of the N-Day panic. The Galatea* would explode on March 23 of this year.

We'd need a full-time historian to post news articles culled from the source material as a background to what is happening. I could do that. I'm organized, and I have almost the whole library here-- borrowed from Ashnod.

However, if novas are brand-new to the world, the power level of the setting would have to be cranked significantly downward. Given what a hard time I've had keeping power levels in check before the setting has even launched, I can only imagine the kicking and screaming I'd face when I announced a 30NP cap, cancellation of the free bump to Q3, and no S/W of any kind. . .

(* International Space Station?)

Well I am not just saying we could make Nday game start. I mean is the start date could be 2018 and it would be 10 years post N-day just like the book starts the game.

We could of course make it a N-day start but the main idea I am trying to convey is to simple advance everything ten years soup to nuts. Just make 2000 something 2010 something and so on.

He's saying have N-day occurr in 2008, THIS YEAR, and every event in cannon happen as it would, just 10 years later than in the books. Then WE start 200X in 2018, so that all current historical and pop culture that WE know, but didn't happen in canon, are preserved.

Right!

No real fundamental changes to the book are required to do this. Historical events that take place in the book happen when they should just with the added 10 years to the date. Technology would still progress the same. People would still be the same age as they are in 2008 we simple once again forward the date of their births ten years.

On paper this sounds like it would work. Not sure about application.

Actually, HUGE changes would be required. In 1998, we were fat, happy, and in the middle of a lovely economic time of plenty. In 2008 we're on the ragged edge of a recession, the president is universally despised*, there's a very unpopular and unsuccessful war going in Iraq, and the War on Terror and its associated panic-mongering color almost everything that happens.

We would have to write, ourselves, a history of everything that happens between N Day in 2008 and the beginning of our stories in 2018, based on this quite different starting point. To simply add ten years to the source material doesn't strain versimilitude, it breaks versimilitude over its knee and throws the corpse into a wood chipper.

(* He set a record low approval rating--for any president ever--last week.)

Note that Aberrant really never touches on what it is like just before N-day. Just that there is a panic and Utopia steps forward and makes everyone look forward to the brave new world. I see what you are saying but I am not sure it breaks things as badly as you're thinking it would.

However as I said it's just a thought. If we want to keep what we have with the past ten years happening as is that's fine with me.

Originally Posted By: Jordan Rossi
Although this idea might be good inspiration for at a fourth section of the boards (please don't throw things at me, I'm just saying it's a cool thought is all) or a PbP game...

I look forward to participating in your proposed new era! I'll draft up characters right away. Have you picked mods? What will the rules be like?

grin

Quote:
I look forward to participating in your proposed new era! I'll draft up characters right away. Have you picked mods? What will the rules be like?

LOL! smile

It does sound kind of interesting though, but I'd like to see this one get going before trying to explore yet another forum.

On the other hand...
We did just a sattelite shot down in the last two days that had bad chemicals that would have spread through the atmosphere.... Damn the government for keeping us from erupting!!! Those bastards! I want my nova powers!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Nova OOC

grin

Back! Back I say! *Pulls Lion-Tamer's Chair and Whip out of back pocket*

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
On the other hand...
We did just a sattelite shot down in the last two days that had bad chemicals that would have spread through the atmosphere.... Damn the government for keeping us from erupting!!! Those bastards! I want my nova powers!!!!!

Dude, think about that... you really wanna end up like Sloppy Joe? Sorry but I like my dick right where it is thankyouverymuch!

My fear is that we would be spreading things very thin in terms of time to dedicate to our stories and characters. I think we should stick with one new board for now. I really enjoy AU stories and wouldn't mind STing such a story for people, but lets give 200x a while to get on it's feet before we go pulling people away for another game.

Well, lets see.

I couldn't play an Elite. They don't start for a couple years yet. Same for Utopia, no? Same with Teragen.

So, we're all Novas, but really only some of a few hundred or so instead of several thousand. No social networks, no cultural change as yet.

No Aberrants at all.

No OpNet.

No information on Taint.

No information on Quantum actually.

I'm thinking not interested.

One of the things about having a game date that matches the real world date is that various minor details can be treated as - at the very least - similar to or a step ahead of where they are in the real world. There's obviously some changes, such as us having to account for the World Trade Center never being attacked* and everything that spun out of that black day, but in terms of overall day-to-day details and tech levels, 200X will be a nova-enhanced version of our own world, which makes it easier to write for. Predicting the future is tricky.

* - it's mentioned in the Directive book that an Aberrant leapt between the twin towers to get away from Directive operatives.

Archived