Aberrant: 200X - 200X BIBLE: SECOND DRAFT in this thread. Discuss.

Nova OOC

Originally Posted By: Ashnod
Core book, page 178:

In general, when altering powers, try to balance one parameter against another. For example, maybe you want a Quantum Bolt that has incredible range, but loses energy as it travels; if so, buy a normal Quantum Bolt, increase its maximum range, but dictate that the blast loses damage effect as it travels outward. If you character has a stronger or weaker version of a power - for example, claws that extend 30 feet and can slice diamond, or only the EMP technique of the Magnetic Mastery power - increase or decrease the power's level accordingly. And, of course, Storyteller permitting, you're free to create your own powers; simply compare your creation to the listed powers, decide if it's Level 1, 2, or 3 and run with it.

Bold emphasis mine.

Nowhere in the example does it state that tampering with the power’s Quantum Minimum should be permitted, only the adjustment of the power's power level.

Biomanipulation in my opinion should not be a Q6 power; it's a level 3 power and should be Q5. But hey, I'm just one guy with ideas.

Mind you Ashnod, I'm trying to split hairs with you. It's just I've seen this argument several times and like always I'm straddling the fence because I think it should be permitted, but I've never seen actual canon documentation that specifically states that raising or lower the Q-Min is permitted within a strength/weakness system, only the level of the power.

The Bounty argument is the most compelling one for the lower Q requirement. She isn't Q6, but yet can manipulate fertility, which means she has SOMETHING akin to Biomanipulation but at Q5. The simplest explanation is that she has one technique and the Q minimum was lowered because she had only that technique.

Anyway, I think it's mostly an ST call. I can make arguments for it both ways.

Originally Posted By: Courier
Many of the pieces of Bio-manip are already known powers anyway. Healing, Bolt, Poison, etc.
Personally, I always liked the concept of disorient based on the brain firing an non-interrupted string of orgasms.

That may be a guy thing though. laugh

Originally Posted By: Jason Grant
I once tried to make a character who could manipulate physical sensation/neural impulses but could never get him to work the way I wanted with Abbie rules.
Mental Illusion & Domination.

Originally Posted By: Hugin
The tough truth of the matter is that not everything is possible with Aberrant. Not it's strong suit.
It's been my experience most things are possible, it's just many concepts don't end up kicking ass or ignoring defenses (or are expensive), and at that point the players don't like it.

Originally Posted By: Courier
It's been my experience most things are possible, it's just many concepts don't end up kicking ass or ignoring defenses (or are expensive), and at that point the players don't like it.
If this is a majority perhaps you're playing with too many power-gamers. Or your players are interacting mostly with novas instead of equal or greater numbers of baselines. Novas by their nature generally ride roughshod over baselines.

Archived