Aberrant: 200X - A Topic to Discuss

Dawn OOC

First, because this is the important part: yes, I'm still alive, you fucks. And I say 'you fucks' because you're all so cool that I couldn't stay away, despite the fact that I definitely should be doing something else right now.

That aside, I'd like to propose allowing people to use individual powers/enhancements/etc from non-sanctioned books, like the Eon books. Some points:

1) I am NOT advocating using everything from the books.

2) I am NOT trying to invoke a special snowflake clause by stating that the only person who can use these powers is the person who advocates for them. Instead, I'd advocate that once one person is oked for them, all are.

3) This is more work for the Mods. I realize that, and I apologize, but not all of the enhancements are trash.

4) Each approved thing has to be posted somewhere easily assessible to all, so that no one has to search for the material. This will be the player's responsibility, not the Mods.

5) This is about fun, guys. And some of these non-official things are fun. Not all, but some. It'd be a shame to shut them out of the game.

Please discuss, and thank you for your time and attention.

I've never used such a power or enhancement, I must admit, so I haven't lent this much thought.

This could be expanded into a general "how will we organize the addition of new material" question. New technology as well as new powers and enhancements could be fit under this banner. I think the current system of two-thirds majority could be expanded to fit this, and I also think that we could put hyperlinks to a dedicated 'house document' in the FAQ, with subdivisions for new rules, new technology, new powers, new enhancements, new factions, and so forth.

Originally Posted By: Michael McGee
I also think that we could put hyperlinks to a dedicated 'house document' in the FAQ, with subdivisions for new rules, new technology, new powers, new enhancements, new factions, and so forth.

All of which will overwhelm and deter new writers.

I really had hoped to keep this simple.

Originally Posted By: Nova OOC
Originally Posted By: Michael McGee
I also think that we could put hyperlinks to a dedicated 'house document' in the FAQ, with subdivisions for new rules, new technology, new powers, new enhancements, new factions, and so forth.

All of which will overwhelm and deter new writers.

I really had hoped to keep this simple.

True enough. Simple is good for a lot of reasons.

Thinking on it, the initial presence of 'unofficial' material would seem to detract from the elegant simplicity I'd hoped we could strive for. I think this is sadly, too much work for the initial push. Once the system is up and running and approaching something resembling self-perpetuation, perhaps then we can tinker with it. Sorry, Carv, but that's where my feelings lie.

Originally Posted By: Hugin
All things unofficial are Satanic Pecker Tracks.

Without exception.

Evil. All of it.

Death to unofficial.

I would just like to point out that even the core rules themselves say the system is designed for expansion. I dont have my books in front of me right now to look up page numbers or anything but it gives examples of cross-matching powers with more appropriate attributes for concept, using enhancments as such for different mega atts than written as appropriate and whole heartedly working up new enhancments and powers.

Secondly I would just like to say that the fan created ebooks, particularly the follow ups to the official but never published brainwaves supplement are *really* well done and subject to much peer review.

I would just like to say that as far as the Aberrant universe is concerned...we are it folks! Its unlikely to get back in development any time in the forseeable future which makes us the inheritors.

And just so I am not misunderstood I do value the simplicity we are going for, and that there is a potentially very slippery slope here. In a TT game you can basically work out things you want that dont quite fit into the rules by talking with your ST. For this venue it doesnt necessarily have to be more work for mods. If someone wants an enhancement from the mega social ebook for example its as simple as posting it up for discussion with the troupe.

If things are approved then they get put in a nice section for them. Sure it may be slightly more complicated in terms of having to read a page or so but thats not much considering the people that come to play here have already made it through at least the core book and likely many more considering the game is a decade old and its the die hards that are still interested.

I have just three points on this.

1. Fan created material has tendency to dwell at the extremes. Its either little more than a rewrite of existing material attempting to incorporate a too specific special effect, or its far too efficient with too little in the way of check and balance. That said...

2. I'm not adverse to it but I'd want the proposed change put up for forum review and rewrite. Once the forums have agreed to it, and that takes time but there you go, then you can play it. It doesn't matter to me whether its something you came up with late last night or is a product of Eon. The origin isn't important, only that you can garner acceptence here.

3. I don't want the launch of 200X delayed for debate on this. Its a reasonable question, change is part of life, but I don't see a reason to treat this as either an obstacle or a necessary consideration for the bible. Its just too general a question. Ask a spefic question about a specific enhancement or power desired for a particular character.

Let's get this 200X baby on the road and humming before we sweat whether an enhancement that came out of Eon or Brainwaves is balanced.

~ Jack ~

Originally Posted By: Vortex
I have just three points on this.

1. Fan created material has tendency to dwell at the extremes.
2. I'm not adverse to it but I'd want the proposed change put up for forum review and rewrite.
3. I don't want the launch of 200X delayed for debate on this.

And I'm agreeable to all these points. As I think I said above, I have an enhancement I'd love to have for the new character I've come up with. If I don't get it, it won't change the character, but it won't be quantum backed either, which is a shame.

If we establish something later to allow us to add on, I'm cool with that. I don't want to slow things down either; I am bringing up a point that I think needs to be addressed. I'm prepared to be told no, but I would like to see some discussion on it first, which I am happy to see happening. smile

I'm also aware that new writers could have trouble figuring stuff out, but that's why I said it should be posted somewhere, probably with the character on it's page. And since we're concerned about that, let's remember that it's hard to get the official books themselves anymore - people who are new to the genre are going to have issues as well. It's a problem regardless of officiality (I just made that up wink ).

And I'm going to add this now, and I don't want anyone to take offense. I don't mean it that way, and it's my opinion and experience that when you keep things simple, you lose a lot of flavor and richness that are possible in the game/story. I've seen this in a lot of places, and that is a major concern I have everyone time someone says "Keep it simple." That motto works for a lot of things, but it doesn't cover it all.

Anyone else wanting to add thoughts?

Since you addressed the drawbacks of the KISS principle, and your experience, I'd like to add I have the same reaction to project creep. Usually it occurs because a project scope is ill-defined, the end results desired are ill defined or someone wants something in this project because they're not sure when they'd get it otherwise.

We want to reboot the 2018 forums with some safeguards in place to prevent or at least slow the things that seemed to kill it for the community. That's an upcheck for scope. We want a product usable by a majority and accessible to newbs. That's an up check for desired results. That leaves giving people a means to add things without making it part of the boot of 200X. I don't want, by charter or tacit agreement, a condition that prevents any and all changes in the future. In this regard I want exactly what I outlined to you earlier; open a thread with a specific enhancement in mind for a specific character and make the pitch to the forum population. Accept the response from the community. It might be easy as pie, blow up in your face or result in 20 people telling you the enhancement has to be changed in 30 different and contradictory ways.

No blank checks but no insurmountable obstacles either.

Archived