Aberrant: 200X - The 200X Bible is in this Thread. Discuss.

Nova OOC

THE BIBLE OF THE 200X ERA

(ROUGH DRAFT)

SUMMARY

The 200X era is to be a re-imagining of the 2018 forum, using similar characters as often as possible. The excesses of 2018 are to be avoided. The setting will rely on the goodwill and the cooperation of the writers as a group, backed up by a small number of moderators who will have executive veto and the right to intervene in disputes or nascent disputes.

200X is not a game to be won. It is a storytelling environment in which writers may create stories and interact IC within an established framework. We are not players. We are writers.

Originally Posted By: Jack
Rules don't prevent players from being disruptive. (. . .) Once a player begins to use a character disruptively, regardless of the story that player says they are trying to tell, no one else is part of that story. Why allow a player who obviously cares so little for the rest of the troupe – troupe being everyone in this thread - to take part in the stories of the troupe. Internal consistency is one thing but a player that cares for nothing but his or her characters and his or her stories isn't part of the troupe. So don't treat them as if they are.
Originally Posted By: Michael McGee
I do think that the best structure is one that emphasizes the story part over the rules, but I don't think we should do away with them. If nothing else, they make a good point-of-entry for new players, who may not understand the complexities of forum interaction and politics but who can easily grasp "don't go over this number."

THERE ARE ONLY THREE RULES

Rule #1: Don't be a dick. Dicks get kicked.

Rule #2: We will cooperate with each other and watch over each other. Disputes are to be settled among the writers whenever possible. If necessary, the moderators will intervene. Moderators may intervene pre-emptively to what they see as a developing problem.

Rule #3: See rule #1.

MODERATORS

The initial moderators are to be (in no particular order of precedence) Nova_OOC, Seph_OOC, and Mr. Fox. In any discussion among the moderators, the agreement of any two moderators will overrule the third.

Originally Posted By: Nova_OOC
the existence of moderators must not preclude discussion among the group. A moderator serves the writers, and is there to ensure that the largest number of people possible are enjoying the site. It must always be that way. A moderator who does it the other way around is a tyrant.

CANON SETTING

The 200X era is to use the contemporary calendar date and will move forward at the rate of one unit of real time = one unit of era time.

If you want to know the date and time in the 200X era, look at the calendar at the lower-right corner of your Windows desktop, or top-right corner of your OSX desktop. Linux users just do whatever it is you do. You're better than everyone else anyway.

The Slider assassination and subsequent formation of the Aberrants are to be treated in a way similar to the real-world assassination of President Kennedy. There is an accepted official explanation, yet a trememdous number of consipracy theories exist and are debated with almost religious devotion. Despite all this theorizing, nothing concrete is ever resolved and no government agency will comment on them. Behind the scenes, the shadowy organizations that secretly run the world are cock-blocking the Aberrants at every turn, but allowing them to carry on publicly as a kind of safety valve.

The Night of the Long Knives, the Aberrant War and the end of the world as we know it*, and Trinity are not necessarily destined to happen.

Large scale setting-altering events are to be executed via large multi-author stories. These large-scale stories are to be scripted in advance with a beginning, intended plot arc, and ending. Historically, too many large stories have abruptly ended without a conclusion because people have lost interest and drifted away from it.

THE IC OPNET FORUM

The IC OpNet forum will be considered to be viewable by only novas. There will be one sticky thread which is visible to the public at large called "Ask a Nova" in which curious baselines may ask questions of novas. Participation in the "Ask a Nova" thread is optional.

Originally Posted By: Seph_OOC
Making the forums publicly viewable IC would be a bad idea: every post would sacrifice legitimacy for a positive public image. The idea is to have a place where novas can go to be themselves, not to simply provide another advertising outlet where they have to be "on". Also, many Terats wouldn't post there on principle: the N! is owned by baselines, after all. No character I've played or probably would be inclined to would post on such a forum.

NUMBER OF CHARACTERS

Each writer will be limited to no more than two characters each to kickstart the forum, with re-imaginings of 2018 characters strongly encouraged. This is supposed to be a reboot, after all. Additional characters may be introduced at the rate of no more than one per calendar year per writer, including 2008. New character credits do not roll over into subsequent years.

Characters hastily created in the waning weeks of a calendar year to avoid "losing" a character credit will be looked upon with a baleful eye.

2010 AND 2018

The 2010 setting is to be left as-is. Characters from 2010 are not to be transferred into the 200X setting, because this will damage the 2010 setting. 2018 is to be left as-is. 2018 characters who are re-imagined in 200X may still be played in 2018 in their original form.

There is to be no attachment, cross-time movement, reality-shifting, or other mechanism for characters or IC knowledge to move from 2018 to 200X or vice-versa. 200X is an independent and separate reality.

NOVA POINTS

Characters are to begin with no more than 50 NP. A character may begin with fewer than 50NP and add NP up to the cap as justified by stories or IC interaction. The NP cap will be increased by 4NP on the first day of every February and August. Characters created after an increase in the cap will be entitled to use as many NP as the cap at the time of creation.

All increases in NP must be plausibly justified by a supporting body of fiction or interaction.

(Nova's commentary on NP: It is my hope that those who are disappointed by the initial cap being 50NP instead of 60NP will be pleased by the potential for 8NP/year of advancement in semi-annual allotments. This is a significant increase from the figure of 5-6NP/year which had been thrown around and allows for more frequent increases as well. I had toyed briefly with the idea of an increase of 2NP every 3 months, but that would create too much bookkeeping hassle, and would make 200X too similar to 2010.)

CHARACTER CREATION

By the book: Limited to 7/5/3 atts, 23 abs, 7 BGs, 15 BPs, and the current NP cap (initially 50NP). Taint at time of creation will not exceed 6. Fractions of NP earned by taint are to be rounded AGAINST the character.

Q will be limited to 5 at time of creation. Advancement to Q6 will be available only by appeal to the moderators and MUST be supported by a compelling and robust justification. Submission of the request is NOT a guarantee of acceptance, and you must be prepared for the possibility of a "no" response.

STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES

Despite being universally despised in the rulebook form, they will be included with the following limits:

-No shift in quantum levels or costs.

-No use of permanence.

MERITS AND FLAWS

Because of the potential for abuse, these are not to be calculated into the character sheet numerically. If one wishes to play a character who has these, go ahead and RP them. However, if it is done to excess, the other writers and moderators will notice and probably not be pleased.

Use merits and flaws responsibly and cautiously.

Originally Posted By: Jack
Well... I don't actually care if anyone uses them. But please don't waste my time telling me that you only took them for "character integrity" and didn't even notice the extra points you were gaining. Forego taking the extra points and I'll believe wholeheartedly in your character's integrity.

CHARACTER SHEETS

Character sheets for each character are to be posted and maintained accurately. Changes made to the character sheet should be explained in a footnote or closely-related post. (The way it is done in 2018, with a forum in which each character is a separate thread works very well.)

TAINT

High taint or aberrations will incur a significant social penalty. This must not be forgotten.

PUNY HUMAN RULE

The optional rule "Puny Human" is in effect. It is impossible to be kicked to death by spiders.

CONSENT AND THE MESSING-UP OF OTHERS

The consent system in 2018 mostly works and will be copied wholesale into 200X. The main difficulty in 2018 is that 30NP characters could use consent as a shield and taunt Gods with impunity, rather than being smeared into a fine red paste. With the narrowing of the power spectrum in 200X, this should be less of a problem.

Combat is permitted when the participants are willing. If you don't want someone to get the urge to smear your character into a fine red paste, don't kick him/her in the groin. See rule #1.

Originally Posted By: Dave
Combat is difficult because it needs something some of us overlook: a script. This is not the best environment for dice rolling or number crunching. If you feel the need to scuffle with another character (and the opponent agrees) then you two need to take a moment and decide how the battle will be played out. Decide a winner, decide how much damage you're going to cause, is death an option. We're adults, and damn intelligent ones too, there's no reason why it should be difficult to script a battle.

Forget the powers, enhancement, and everything else. Those are filler. All they are for is to make the fiction a good read. Be respectful to the players you battle. If you've been decided the winner then don't just wipe the floor with your opponent and protray attacks bouncing off you. It's a battle of novas for crying out loud, make everything sound as epic (as) possible.

In the end it's about having fun and telling a story, just like at home at the table.

----------

(* I feel fine.)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, this does answer some questions. Also alot less intimidating than I originally thought. In fact, it's pretty good as it stands. Like the original 2018, but with a lowered bar.

That, and since it's a separate 2018, characters can be different than the classic line, from what I gathered. So technically... Endeavor may exist but can be different as well? Do I understand this correctly?

Only 3 problems with it:

1.) I never did see a vote tally for who wanted 50 NPS and who wanted 60...lets see the official vote!

2.) Taint limitations are LAME and unnecesaary. What if I want to play Taint Buttered (and I do, with at least one character...).

2a.) You weren't clear on the Taint mechanism. I don't understand what you mean about taint fractions acounting against the character and am not clear on whether we are using canon rules or 1 taint=2 NP. If taint adds NP, and doesn't raise the cap, then its stupid because taint is intended as "scarificing" yourself on the alter of power. Taint is for those who want more power quicker, and gives the appropriate penalty, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

3.) If I take Merits they had better damn well be factored into the numerics. Maybe not with internal compass etc. But for Eufiber Attuned, Crack Driver, or Quantum Recovery...otherwise ehats the point?

I thought the limit was was voted on as being 60NP. Why was this changed?

Can someone transfer over a character from 2018 with a Q6 if the moderators allow it?

Is Seph a good choice as a moderator? I like the guy, but his attendance tends to be spotty.

I am SO unhappy with the Max Number of Characters Rule. I wish it would at least be voted on.

Also, if one character is retired, can another one immediately be brought on?

Overload, you're really starting to get on my nerves. You've been pushy, overbearing, foul, and rude. Since this is a setting based on cooperation, I really don't think you're getting it. I am not encouraged at the prospect of your participation in the 200X era if you continue the way you are.

That said, I will discuss your questions.

The vote tally for 50 or 60NP is in the middle of another thread, and it was discussed beyond that point. I'm not going to recreate all of that. I have coupled the NP cap and NP advancement in a compromise move that should make everyone happy.

The mechanism for taint is as published. Dots may be purchased tainted for half NP cost, rounded against the character. You get more power at the cost of more taint. The NP cap may not be exceeded, and has nothing to do with the purchase of tainted dots.

The point is storytelling.

Originally Posted By: Jager
I thought the limit was was voted on as being 60NP. Why was this changed?

The starting NP cap was dropped to 50NP while the NP growth was increased to 4NP/6months. Give a little, get a little.

Quote:
Can someone transfer over a character from 2018 with a Q6 if the moderators allow it?

As stated above, characters are to be created with a Q of no more than 5. Promotion of a character to Q6 is, again as above, possible upon successful petition to the moderators.

Quote:
Is Seph a good choice as a moderator? I like the guy, but his attendance tends to be spotty.

I'll let him answer that.

Quote:
I am SO unhappy with the Max Number of Characters Rule. I wish it would at least be voted on.
Also, if one character is retired, can another one immediately be brought on?

Let's all discuss this more. I'm leery of characters being scrapped too quickly. Forgotten characters in 2010 wreaked havoc on intertwining storylines.

Originally Posted By: *Overload*
Obviously votes don't count. Nova is Queen after all and disagreements with her decisions are to be summarily ignored.

I'm ignoring you because you're hostile, aggressive, and not at all cooperative. In other words, you're what I wanted to get away from.

My rudeness has been in direct proportion to you trying to tell us "how its going to be." For a window into this please see your idea for the NP cap. I am not encouraged by your reasoning to abandon a vote (or even go back in the thread and look it up.) If our votes werent to be counted and you were just going to come up with your own little ideal then why even bother asking us. Jesus.

I have as much a right to be here on this public forum as anyone else. I also have the right to disagree with you, publicly. If I am banned for sharing my disagrements or being passionate about them it will only prove the fascism that I see brewing here.

Dropping the cap from an agreed on 60 back down to 50 and then 'sweetening the pot' by offering 8NP a year isn't much of a sweetener. It pushing the max down to 50.

Big deal if somewhere down the line in 2012 I'll actually have more NP ... That's FOUR years away.

Seriously. We VOTED on it being 60NP. We voted on the ability to raise them. All you are doing is making us have another vote and hoping it will come around to your way of thinking this time.

My rudeness has been in direct proportion to you trying to tell us "how its going to be." For a window into this please see your idea for the NP cap. I am not encouraged by your reasoning to abandon a vote (or even go back in the thread and look it up.) If our votes werent to be counted and you were just going to come up with your own little ideal then why even bother asking us. Jesus.

I have as much a right to be here on this public forum as anyone else. I also have the right to disagree with you, publicly. If I am banned for sharing my disagrements or being passionate about them it will only prove the fascism that I see brewing here.

Yeah, heaven forbid I take any role in the shaping of my idea. Once I posted my idea 10 days ago, I should have walked away and let everyone vote on everything and we'd have a perfect system.

That's sarcasm, by the way.

Originally Posted By: Jager
Dropping the cap from an agreed on 60 back down to 50 and then 'sweetening the pot' by offering 8NP a year isn't much of a sweetener. It pushing the max down to 50.

Big deal if somewhere down the line in 2012 I'll actually have more NP ... That's FOUR years away.

You'll have 58NP this time next year, and 62NP in August 2009.

2018 was destroyed by rampant power creep. I want to put a brake on that. I'm not alone in this belief.

Voting works for me. Speaking as a member of the crucial undecided swing-vote population, I'd also like to see more people's stated reasons for wanting a 50 or 60 point cap. Some other compromise might arise from getting everyone's cards on the table.

I also have the right to disagree with you, publicly.

You are absolutely correct. You have the right to have an opinion on this site. You have the right to express your opinion. You have the right to argue your point. I encourage passionate exchange between adults.

I have as much a right to be here on this public forum as anyone else.

This is technically not true. No one has a right to be on this forum. This is not a public forum. This is a privately owned forum. I have tried to create a community atmosphere where everyone feels welcome. But at the end of the day it is a private forum that I allow you all to access. I give you all the rights that you enjoy on this site. I try not to censor anyone's voice. But your rights only extend to the point at which they violate someone else's.

If I am banned for sharing my disagrements or being passionate about them it will only prove the fascism that I see brewing here.

That is just plain silly. You have a beef with Nova, fine. I have no problem with that. But you have no right to attack her personally. Argue your points and please drop the personal attacks.

You aren't discussing a personal game that is being run by one person. This is a community, and the issues affect everyone currently in this community. Neither of you, Overload or Nova, can change the way things run here alone. Because one side is trying to suggest something doesn't make it the law. It is what is being suggested. The community will ultimately decide how things will shake out.

I try to let things flow and to have all of you help shape things the way you want them to go. Do I need to step in and help things out?

Well Chosen. Thank you for correcting me on the nature of the site. i love it here and its mighty good of you to keep this place around for us. You rock.

I admit to my vehemence. I DO find it telling that Nova immediately tried to squash my call for a vote. What does she fear I wonder? As for me if the votes side against my preferences I shall submit to the majority. i just want to see that the vote was actually legitimate.

I'm 100% in support of Nova and the effort she is making. If I have a problem with something she's doing of her own accord or on my behalf, I will speak with her on the matter. If and when that happens I will not play verbal games. I will not say things that are misleading or have little semantic content like "You realize this is your personal opinion". Mostly that's because while it may be her personal opinion it is also my personal opinion as well as that of others. While I am of the belief it is the personal opinion of many others I am not going to speak for them. Rather, and because I'm willing to let them speak for themselves, I'm going to let 200X take shape with as much input as I can give knowing full well some will disagree with me. Disagreement is okay. Poorly thought out attempts at manipulation and arguments that have no logical structure are not. I'd use the word stupidity here but as annoying a git as some obviously are, I don't actually think stupidity is the source of the problem.

Play out 2018 and revel in the totality of taint buttered goodness and hundreds of nova points if that's what gets you off. I truly don't care. But where 200X is concerned, any call for a vote is going to be answer as 100% in support of Nova and her efforts without reservation by me. And guess what, I don't even know her except through others. I'll nearly always go with the person that's trying to make something for others even when I disagree with them on goals or execution. Just like I'll nearly always go against a git that wants only what they want even if I agree with them.

I'm strange that way.

Good luck on the filibuster, Overlord. This wouldn't have come as far as it has in as little time as it has if people weren't sick of this kind of crap.

Here's some input.

Q cap? Q5 is good enough for me. Although a mechanic should be put in for "earning" Q6 for only 1 character, and that should be an exceptional circumstance.

Nova Points? I think 50 is perfect.

As for Taint, it should really go by the book in application, but to be honest, since we don't roll dice here Taint becomes a bit of a plot device. I hate to say it, but it needs to be on an Honor System. I think we can weed out the bad apples.

As for advancement, I think it should be 4NP per 6 months.

I vote for the cap being at Q:6. I admit this is from personal bias as I have a character from 2018 that I would like to bring over with Biomanipulation. Still, if I have a good reason I'm sure other people do as well.

Power Cap of 60 Nova Points and a raise of 4 NP per six months.

Taint should be its own punishment. I think someone should be allowed to make a horrid mistake with their character if they so desire ... as long as it is played well.

Time for my opinion...with a little sarcastic invective tossed in. (The irony is, I will still probably join it, I just like to make people squirm sometimes; they need it)

I vote for a cap at Q:6. Why not make it Q:10 while we are at it. If someone wants to spend all their points on Quantum, we should let them. They won't be able to do anything the collective doesn't want anyways.

60 NP too start, but I propose 1 NP per month, that way, characters can develop faster.

If you can play a 9 taint beast, more power too you. Though I doubt the 'perfect people' will let you in their 'perfect stories' anyways. After all, you are inherently imperfect with so much taint. (Now I know how the Terats feel)

All is well with what has been laid out except for one issue.

Seph's moderation. As noted above his sporadic nature simply doesn't leave room to rely on him to make the commitment to this forum that needs to be made. I mean no offense to Seph when I say this but his real life takes more turns and ups and downs than a roller coaster at six flags not exactly the stability you usually want in a mod.

Secondly while I have no doubt that Seph is smart enough to do the job I question his social tact in handling it. Let's take Overload for example as a potiential problem player he needs to deal with. Seph verbally strangling him with his own intestines would feel like his first reaction to handling people like that and while it may be what is needed a Mod generally needs to hold it in check better than that.

Alleviate these concerns please.

Archived