Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 5: Breaking New Trails

Mr Fox

Omar showed no effects of taint, but by now, he was sure he had acquired some during the Hammersmith event. Because of this realization, Omar spent most of his time listening to the exchanges between Philip Steve, Andrew and Michael. If there was a possibility to acquire more taint, he would do what he could to avoid it...at least until there was a way to deal with it. Listening to the others might give him some more insight into taint.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve gave a half shrug and says,

"It's important to point out you, the other you, couldn't have known. He was pretty much the only nova in a crowd of others who don't need to worry about taint, it was natural that he'd push his powers to see the limits, and the design flaw that causes taint isn't obvious. Worse, lots of the evidence on what we do is very confusing. My big power is luck, at first glance I could be a daredevil whose power is also luck. The thing that seperates us isn't the results of our power, it's their source."

Steve taps the top of his forehead and says,

"Right here, about two inches back. Call it a node, there're other changes, but the extra organ in our brain is the core of our power. In theory all novas have the same power, but whatever we manipulate has to be bound to our understanding. Put another way, we can do what we think we can do. That's fine, but our powers also effect what we think. Thus a feedback loop, and it's easy for it to run wild. Instead of getting big muscles..." Steve glances at Omar, "...we get glowing eyes, or too perfect looks." Steve glances at Michael. "And then it gets worse, like compound interest, every new aberration is larger in scope and effect. Eventually... well, eventually it's grim."

Steve focuses directly on Michael and says,

"The other you worked with Max for about 20 years and was one of the top heroes of Eon, which is to say the world. In the 40's you had a falling out, our records are slight and don't cover who said what to whom, what the issues were, or whether it was taint related. The 40's were a pretty grim time, new words had to be invented to cover how evil it was. By the 90's the other you was seriously powerful and insane. More intelligent than any other nova but detached from reality, thats Schizophrenia. Requiring worship from his lessers and launching grand plans to reshape the world into a vision that doesn't have much to do with reality, that's called Megalomania. Most of his followers became warped by taint into creatures not recognizable as human. In the end the other you opened a door to somewhere else and took his followers with him."

"20 years without any kind of training on what not to do is pretty good. That means you are not inately prone towards taint. His fate doesn't have to be yours."

Michael sits forward and listens with great interest as Steve begins talking. At first he nods to himself and you can see the gears turning in his head as he puts the pieces in place. Then as Steve begins talking specifically of Michael's own future he smiles and then the smiles disappear and eventually turn to frowns. Still he listens and doesn't comment. Even after Steve ends his speach, he sits there for a good 30 seconds reflecting on what he has heard.

When he does finally speak he has definite look of concern on his face, "I hope that I did not hurt Max during our falling out." Giving his friend a brief tight smile, he continues, "What you say is interesting and very disturbing. I was looking forward with great curiosity to viewing your records and the intellectual challenge that it would be. Now it seems it is personal. I will need to see your records after dinner. I would prefer not to wait but begin my studies immediately after we are done here. I know that a few hours or even likely a few months with not mean much difference, but I admit to a burning desire to satisfy my curiosity in this matter now that it as become so personal."

After taking another bite of the steak, he concludes, "I hope that in this reality I will not become the monster you describe. Forewarned, is forearmed after all."

Phillip hasn't smiled this much in a long time, and its begining to hurt. "I appolagise for being so chearfull, but to see you so eager to 'not turn into that monster', it brings great hope." As Phillip finishes his sentence, sparcs start to jump from his body, then suddenly stop. "I appolagise again, but its hard to not be excited when the future looks so bright." Phillip pushes his plate towards the center of the table, trying to indicate he is done eating.

Steve gives a look of regret and relief and says,

"Be glad to. One thing I'd keep in mind while reading some of this stuff is time travel has shown us there is no fate and no destiny for this kind of thing. As popular movie said, 'no fate but what we make'... which doesn't make the rest of our mission any easier."

Michael smiles with relief on hearing it. "Well, then I definitely look forward to it even if it won't all be pleasant to learn."

The rest of the meal goes well with small talk going back and forth. Max seems very pleased that you all have elected to share knowledge fully with Michael, and at the end of the meal he stands and says, "I thank you all for coming, new friends and old alike, may we always come together in fellowship and strive for the best for all of humanity." He raises a glass in toast with everyone.

"Also, I will convene all of the invitees to the Aeon Society to a gathering next week here at the mansion. I hope that you will all attend. I'm sure by that time Michael will have wrapped his brain around the future history. Until then."

Later that evening Cody transports everyone up to the ship in his cruiser. Donighal is duely impressed with the ride and the view from space. Upon seeing Lorean's ship form he is silent for several minutes but as you disembark in the cargo hold, "Well, I have to say that I do indeed believe you. Just what I've seen so far on the ride up here is enough to make me believe that you are from the future."

After an hour or so of being shown around the ship he settles in the library and gets comfortable. Over the next week he only takes sporadic breaks to eat and sleep but seems to not be suffering too much from sleep deprivation. Those who have enhanced stamina will easily recognize that he too must have similar abilities. The afternoon of the Aeon Society gathering he finally emerges from the library and joins the rest of the group in the galley for some lunch. He seems subtly different than he did the week before, but it is difficult to tell just how he has changed. It doesn't seem to be physical, but something in his attitude or bearing perhaps.

Over sandwiches he says, "Well, I thank you all for allowing me to see your records. If you will allow it I will continue to visit and make use of your database in an effort to bring my knowledge up to speed with your own."

He smiles and takes a drink of soda then continues, "From querying Lorean about what your actions have been so far, I believe I have a general outline of your plans for making a better future. I definitely approve of what you have done so far. In only a year, you have brought considerable stability to Germany and Russia that was not there before and your start with the United States and Arabia will lead to positive results in as much as I can analyze the situation."

He grins, "I will promise that I will not become the Divis Mal of your own future. I would like to be included in your plans however. I believe I can be of considerable assistance given my own abilities."

He becomes more serious, "Also, I am wondering how you plan to incorporate the Aeon Society in your goals?"

Omar was impressed with Michael's devotion in studying the historical accounts from their timeline. when Michael applauded their efforts, Omar was flabberghasted. He had expected some anger or resentment from him, because they were messing with his world. Of course it was their world as well, but only because they had no choice.

"I hadn't really thought of it that much." Omar replied to Mr. Donighal. "It's ideals are noble ones, and I agree with much of what they want. My involvement with regards to Aeon, as I can't speak for the others, was to eliminate the bad seeds from it. I had not put much energy into becoming part of Aeon."

Omar gives Michael a smile. "I am not averse to becoming part of it, however."

Michael smiles at Omar, "My friend, I am not suggesting merely joining Aeon, I'm asking how you intend to use it. It seems to me that Max has basically said he will support you though he doesn't plan to get the Society directly involved in politics. That leave a good deal of leaway in what you might do."

"I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it", he replied, looking a little sheepish. "I think the smarter members of the crew should worry about the day to day runnings of Aeon. I would like a voice, of course.

"As for politics, I might try my hand at that. There has been a lack of leadership in the Arab world. It might be time for someone to unify the region as a Constitutional Republic. I would like to see someone rise to such prominence in the region, but if not, I might take the burden on myself."

Omar smiled wistfully at that prospect.

Steve says,

"I don't think we know for sure what to do. There are several factors at work here and the trade offs are unclear."

"The most limited resource on the planet is management attention. Max did a pretty good job before. We could just join as 'normal' members. Aeon becomes the public face of the super human community, we do our thing in the background trying to smooth out the long term problems."

"The real complications with that are; One, do we tell the rest of Aeon about us being from the future? Two, did we mess things up by being at Hammersmith's experiment? Are there already more novas and other superfoke than before?"

"And three, striking from shadows and with holding knowlege works really well for a year or whatever. But eventually the truth will come out, and when it does we may find we've alienated the people we need."

"On the other hand, even if it's only inside of Aeon, going public with who and what we are means it will come out much quicker, and much wider. Worse, some of our actions are going to be of very dubious ethics. Reshaping society is going to have winners and losers, and considering how tramatic ending slavery was, even good changes can be messy."

"I just don't know. What do you think Michael?"

Michael smiles and listens politely. Looking first at Omar, "First of all, I think you would make an excellent leader for the Arab peoples. I am not terribly knowledgeable about Arab politics or who the leaders might be right now, but I can't imagine any of them having your charisma. It will take someone of trememdous personal magnetism to bring all those factions together."

Looking next to Steve, "Hmm... I can see what you mean. Just having examined the records I have over the last week convinces me that this is a very complicated situation. It is not really my thing, but what struck me the most of your recordings is how much public opinion steered policy toward the end of this century and all the way through the war." He smiles again, "If I were in your position I would be doing everything I could to monopolize the media outlets of the world. If you control what people know, you control what they think."

The dinner continues on in silence. Andrew sits, uncomfortable with the sudden cessation of conversation, and trys to think of something to say. A few rude limmericks jump into his head and are dismissed as well as a few colorfull jokes that only half the table would get anyways. He sighs and returns to pushing his peas around the plate, I hate peas.

"I think I might do that." Omar finally responds to Micheal's suggestion that Omar take leadership of the Middle East. "I might have to leave the ship and crew for awhile to focus my energies on creating a stable nation. I would say something like 10 to 20 years."

He lets that sink into the crew before continuing. "For you it will seem like only a few days. I however, would live out several decades."

"I would only do this if the rest of you approve, however." Omar spoke as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

Steve pauses for a very long moment and tunes the world out. Michael's input and the idea bout the crew was a light bulb event and seriously improved many plans. He reviews the crew list and tries to decide who would be likely to go and who might stay, then what kind of possition as a mover and shaker in society they'd like and would be useful. Owner of a newspaper, owner of a movie studio, owner/inventor of a new set of technologies, writer of economic theories and eventual winner of a couple of nobel prizes, the possibilities were interesting and significantly increased their chances of success.

Originally Posted By: Ziggurat
"I think I might do that." Omar finally responds to Micheal's suggestion that Omar take leadership of the Middle East. "I might have to leave the ship and crew for awhile to focus my energies on creating a stable nation. I would say something like 10 to 20 years."
Mentally Steve rewinds the conversation and reviews what Omar said.

"With these new dangers in time travel, I doubt we will want to jump back, and I think there are lots of other things to do in the next 20 years. Maybe you could help someone else do it. Maybe even the 'local' you? You could guide them, and that would still leave time for us to work on other issues."

Steve thinks a few moments then says,

"Omar, mostly that's a good idea. The middle East is a hot spot and taking it off the table would be pretty huge. But... it's going to be hard. You'll have lots of decisions where there is no right answer, or worse, where the right answer isn't popular. Having done lots of good things for your people, they may come to hate you for it. Eventually you'll have to walk away from it and let it bloom on it's own."

"Are you really up to this?"

Morgan listens in to everything that is being said before he adds, "I think I'd like to follow Omar's lead. I've been involved with Germany for the last year trying to stabilize the situation. I don't know if I want to be a face man, but I think I'd like to see about directly guiding that nation. So much of the anguish of the 20th century revolves around that one country. If it could be guided to avoid those issues it would go a very long way toward easing our task. That is if no one objects." He smiles and looks over at Cody. "I'll need Cody's assistance of course."

Meanwhile, Michael is sitting back observing. After Morgan's comment he speaks, "I'll be happy to help in any way I can as well, though I think perhaps I'd be best working with Mr. Courier on planning perhaps. I still have much studying to do before I have a full background on all that you are trying to accomplish."

Steve nods to Morgan and comments to everyone,

"It appears we have a movement. This is probably a good time to move on Iraq; excuse me, you'll probably make that Kurdistan. The League just gave it to the British. I suggest you get Briton's backing as the local big man, then throw them out in 15 or 20 years. Their system of government has a lot to offer. Mostly their colonies become successful countries. Germany's big problem is their relationship with the rest of Europe."

"The one country we're pretty much missing is China. I'm not sure what to do there, break it up maybe. The cost in blood to keep it centralized is perhaps too high."

Steve says to Michael,

"Please. I desperately need the help. Within the next 5 years the easy part will be done. Right now we're working off the judgement history, but every change makes them and our knowledge of future history more and more irrelevant. Soon the mistakes of history will have been fixed and we'll be moving to making grand new mistakes on our own."

"I'm not looking forward to it. I need someone else to look at trendlines and help try to move the weight of the Earth, and my view point is perhaps to removed from all this. You've lived this, there's a lot here I'm simply going to miss because from my perspective the wrong things are obvious."

Surprise crossed Omar's face as he listened to the others. They actually agreed with his idea about staying behind to initiate reforms in the Middle East. He noticed that Morgan also wanted to stay and work on his own endeavors.

"The old Ottoman Empire is no more. It was the last time that region had been united. The victorious European powers of World War I cut it into small pieces and divided it amongst eachother. For that region to be united, the European powers of England and France, have to relinquish their hold. I would prefer if it happened without violence."

He looked at the others in the room. "It might be necessary for some of you to exert influence on those powers. It will probably not take the ten to twenty years it will take me or Morgan. It might be as simple as Cody making small adjustments to key people in parliament."

Morgan nods to Omar, "I think you are right my friend. I will do what I can. Part of my task will require some influence with the nations surrounding Germany so, in the process I will do what I can for you. Now is the time to do it however, before oil becomes a major issue there, in a few years those powers won't release the Arabs without major adjustments to far too many people."

Looking to Steve, "I think you are right about China, lets make sure they don't become the huge communist country they were in our history. Perhaps Michael could take a hand there? None of us know the region terribly well, although I think we do have one Chinese crewman, he could be our front man."

Steve says,

"We're going to need some resources in China. We're also going to need to do something about Mao and the Dragon. I'm not sure whether we want to try to co-op the Dragon. My impression of him is that he was an evil man even before he gained powers."

"I'm tempted to stay in real time myself." Steve motions to his face saying, "Look at me. I almost older than any two of you and I still look like I might be too young to vote."*

* (OOC: I think voting age in the 20's was usually 21)

"Without a Communist Russia, I don't think Mao will be able to come to power. If I remember correctly, the Red Chinese were backed and funded by the Soviet Union. Without that backing, Chang Kai-Shek and the Chinese Nationalists would win over Mao, instead of being driven to Taiwan." Omar was filled with pride, that his history degreee was finally paying off.

"What is probably more of a concern, is the influence of the British."

Omar is beaming a smile that most of the others wish to stay with him, so that they can actively take part in world affairs. After a moment though, his smile disappears and he seems lost in thought. Then his brow furrows: "Who is going to stay with Lorien and have her travel to the future to meet us?"

Andrew sits quietly, pushing the peas around his plate as the others discuss the next course of action. "I suppose if we feel that we need once of us to stay behind with Lorean I could do so. I need only reappear every few years in a new guise and introduce new theory or technology. Steve, Max, and Micheal can keep an eye on my nucelar materials collection, it wouldn't require a great deal of your time. That said I'm working on something right now that may help me help you all much more than I can at present. I may be able to learn Mandarin and Cantonese as well as help direct operations in China. Just tell me what you need done."

Lorean speaks up, "Actually, there is no reason I have to jump forward in time unless you all want me to do so. Since I operate off of quantum energy, I have no constraints in terms of power consumption or supplies needed. My previous self existed for many many millennium, long before humans reached technological advancement. If you don't require me jump, I will stay right here and monitor communications in every form possible to try and compile a more detailed record of this era and of the changes that you all make. Besides, my information sources may come in handy for you."

Steve says,

"The only complication with that is the crew. About half of them want to become people of importance. But we aren't quite ready for all of them yet. Could we put the ones that want to do that into stais until jobs open up for them?"

"Or maybe put them all on one third time?"

Steve nods and says,

"Well, good. Jobs I have in mind, and they may not all work, is someone to publish and defend economic theories, there should be a nobel prize or three in there. Someone to own and run several newspapers. Ditto with movies. Someone to head up the China effort, if he's willing and up to it. Rich, famous, and powerful."

"I have already started one of those papers, if you don't remember." Omar reminded the others. "It should be relatively easy to turn it into a global conglomerate, which could eventually include movies and television."

"I will have to tunr over the management of the current project to one of you, so I can run the political affairs of the Middle East."

Smiling, Omar looked at the crew, Nova and normal alike. "Who wants to run a paper?"

One of the crew who is Iranian but came to America for his education in the 80s speaks up. "I will take that position. If we can do something to make our homeland better and more tolerant while shaking off those who would use us, I will do what I can."

During the course of the meal, those who don't wish to sleep through the 20th century come forward one at a time and give their preferences and accept assignments then wander off to their rooms to begin studying what they will need to know for their new positions with a little help from Lorean.

Afterward the rest of you make your way down to the second meeting at Mercer's mansion, this time with the full host of the new members of the newly formed Aeon Society. For the first part of the evening you mostly sit back and enjoy watching history unfold. Max with Michael at his side convenes the first meeting and of the Society and explains it purpose and his intentions. After which he introduces everyone and asks that they give a little information about themselves. One thing he does not do is reveal you identities as being from the future or as being anything more than any average member of the society. He leaves that to you to reveal if you wish to.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
After which he introduces everyone and asks that they give a little information about themselves. One thing he does not do is reveal you identities as being from the future or as being anything more than any average member of the society. He leaves that to you to reveal if you wish to.
Steve says,

"A few of you I met at or before Hammersmith's. To everyone else, like Max said, I'm Steve Courier and I'm pleased to met all of you. I guess I'm a bit of a jack of all trades and something of an investigative prodigy. Since Hammersmith's, well, I can glow, like a lightning bug."

(Over the link) *I think a minimalist approach would work best here.*

Omar is the next to stand. He gives everyone a smile and begins his introduction.

"I am Omar Khudikias, and I am a Kurdish Christian from the City Between the Rivers. It is also knowh by its more common name of Baghdad."

"I am a wrestler who competes on the international level. I am known as Ziggurat by the peoples of my home land. I can pick up automobiles, and grow eight times my normal height."

Andrew bows in front of the assembled group. He begins to speak but coughs instead. Reaching to his left he allows a tendril to whip out from under his sleeve and grab a glass of water from which he takes a sip before replacing. "My name is Andrew, and well, my physiology has changed somewhat scince my own ... awakening to power." Andrew lets it drop at that, while he may be eager to prove his power his abilities will benifit the cause if fewer people know about them.

Cody had been content to stand in the background for most of what has transpired. Not only was this ideal for his "work" but it also fit in with the social mores of the time in relation to "colored" folk...especially those of "mixed" blood. He was nonetheless dressed impeccably tony for the time, having taken to fitted suits and felt bowler hats. He had modified his trademark eye lenses to seem more natural for the era, though still a noteworthy fashion accesory.

Originally Posted By: Courier
(Also over the link) *Cody, do you want me to speak for you?*

Cody nods his head to Steve in response to his inquiry.

*Of course. Tell them I have an...understanding, of the human psyche...*

Archived