Aberrant: 2011 - Questions About Summer/Autumn

Summer Solstice

Originally Posted By: Catalyst
Let's see because SOMA requires you to kill a nova to get it. Because it is the type of drug that if you wer cought doing the powers that be would not stop until everything about you character was ruined.

When you are in a position to discuss anything about my character rationally then I will listen to your opinions. Until then, you do not exist.

Quote:
But More to the point I don't care if it is off the wall or not. I only care that you do not let others do things that are tame compared to this. THis makes anything else anyone else has done on 2009 even your primal seem reasonable. You still attack other people. If you want to get slake about crazy and stupid ideas you have to give slack to others. You don't.

I have actually. You just weren’t there to see it, therefore it must not have happened, right? You're generalizing, and once again attacking me.

For the third time, stop.

I'm well aware of who I've gone into words with Catalyst, and yet recently you have not seen me do any of that even with you. I told myself I wasn't going to argue with people over a game anymore, so if you’re looking for someone to argue with you're barking up the wrong tree. You can't stop me from playing this storyline. In fact in the middle of all the quoting you did of my previous post you forgot the most important detail:

Originally Posted By: Autumn Solstice
I'm sorry you don't like the idea, but look on the bright side; at least you don't have to interact with the character if you don't want to.

Oh, and please use the spell check feature. Thank you.

Some are saying it's a tad confusing, I hope this helps a bit.

Summer and Autumn are honestly no different than Willa/Jael (Carver in 2017). The main difference is that Summer and Autumn are individual personas that share the same body under the belief that they are indeed two separate people. They freely give the reins of control to one another as the situation demands it. Communication between the 'sisters' is external (phones, mirrors, shouting to another part of the house). Solstice does not hear voices in her head.

Willa and Jael know the other exists but with Jael being as primal and animalistic as she is Willa does her best to remain in control of the body, lest Jael be set loose on the world (again). Communication between Willa and Jael is usually internal (correct me if I'm wrong or course) and they may communicate freely at any given time. Carver hears voices in her head.

Now, on to Utopia...

Some of us fail to remember at times that Utopia is evil. It is a front for Project Proteus and a tool for keeping as many novas under 'control' as possible. Much like our government today. smile

Now we all know that the rules of N!Prime are pretty much clear that since the canon storyline is what we adhere to that none of us can ever blow the lid off Proteus, and I'm cool with that. We usually do not have very many players who are 'Aberrants' and I'm pretty sure that's why. The A's battle against Proteus and attempt to expose it for what it is. Well, that certainly sounds like fun, but none of us like fighting a losing battle do we? Since we cannot expose Proteus due to the N!Prime rules we tend to steer towards factions that we can have a bit more freedom with.

It's all good.

Now does anyone believe for a moment that Project Utopia does not/has not/would not/could not perform inappropriate experiments on novas and then submit that data to Proteus for review? Why capture a nova and test him in bondage when they are freely walking into clinics and handing themselves over to Project Utopia for testing! The plan is perfect.

Now I fully expect there would be a mingling of Proteus novas 'working' for Utopia as liaisons or researchers. I would think that for every ten Utopian higher-ups at least one of them would be a heartless bastard who would like to carve open a nova to see how it ticks, or a paranoid psycho who feels that novas need to be studied so the world has a way to counter them when they decide to take over the world with their ray guns and rap music.

My point is, Project Utopia is a lie. It has novas fooled into a cause that is a front for something else. The concept of them mistreating a nova, arranging accidents for novas that fall out of their favor, or using lies, deception, and politics to gain the upper hand in the nova age really is not that far fetched. Nor would them giving doses of SOMA to Solstice to ‘see what would happen’. She is a tool, an experiment, just another spoiled brat to be rolled into the gutter when they are done with her.

Welcome to Utopia.

I would point out that these are your viewpoints on Project Utopia. Some of us believe that the bad things being done are Project Proteus and not PU at large. If you read the Project Utopia sourcebook you get a lot of that information. Both novas and baselines in PU know that they are working on making the world a better place and aren't been duped by anyone.

Personally, I don't think non-Proteus researchers would be messing with SOMA. Not only on ethical grounds, but also because the risk of negative exposure is too great. Summer is a pulbic nova for God's sake. Better and safer for them to do these experiments on a captive nova. Better to say Summer died and then experiment on her in private. My opinion on the matter anyway.

Its not "Welcome to Utopia", its "Welcome to Utopia gone wrong."

Originally Posted By: Ravenshire
I would point out that these are your viewpoints on Project Utopia. Some of us believe that the bad things being done are Project Proteus and not PU at large. If you read the Project Utopia sourcebook you get a lot of that information. Both novas and baselines in PU know that they are working on making the world a better place and aren't been duped by anyone.

As an aside, WW is famous for creating organizations that believe they're doing the right thing, wholeheartedly. Reading any sourcebook is likely to give the impression that said organization is the "good" one, or the "right" one, and anything else is just slander or hearsay by the opposition. The entire game of Exalted (used only as an example, here, and not intended to spark a separate discussion) is based on that principle- every PC-gen book (Solar, Lunar, Dragon-Blood, Sidereal, etc.) details precisely why everyone else is wrong.

I suspect this is a similar situation with Utopia, the Teragen, et al, though that's only my opinion. I tend to view said sourcebooks as mostly propaganda tools, for that reason.

I respect your opinion, but Proteus exists within Utopia hence Utopia is just as jaded, shady, and vile as it's little cousin. I agree that a Utopian researcher wouldn't SOMA to Solstice, but a Proteus one wearing a Utopian lab coat would.

The PU book is written for people planning to play Utopian characters, much like Utopian would sell their idea to the character the book is selling you (the player) on how to properly play a Utopian.

"Many Proteus novas hold "official" positions in Utopia, or even Team Tomorrow."

"It exists deep within the heart of Project Utopia."

"Most Proteus 'members' are unaware of their allegiance.'

"Proteus is absolutely committed to secrecy, and it will do anything to maintain it, including terminating agents of entire branches."

It's a game of political intrigue, there is no way in hell Utopia's heart is golden while Protues is pumping its black operatives through its veins.

Originally Posted By: Summer Solstice
I respect your opinion, but Proteus exists within Utopia hence Utopia is just as jaded, shady, and vile as it's little cousin. I agree that a Utopian researcher wouldn't SOMA to Solstice, but a Proteus one wearing a Utopian lab coat would.

<snip>

It's a game of political intrigue, there is no way in hell Utopia's heart is golden while Protues is pumping its black operatives through its veins.

Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Utopia, or at least, keeping up Utopia's good looks enough that PCs don't feel uncomfortable playing them. I'm not objecting to this plot because I think that 1) Dave will tell a good story and 2) that the doctor in question will be found out eventually, and be convicted by the good members of Utopia, who will be appalled to find what this 'madman' has been doing.

It's WW. The only good in this game will be what the PCs make good.

Quote:
I agree that a Utopian researcher wouldn't SOMA to Solstice, but a Proteus one wearing a Utopian lab coat would.
Shades of the Tuskegee experiment. Utopia probably "needs" this info... and Summer is taking it willingly and is pretty anti-social to boot. And presumably they have her father's permission and informed consent.

Originally Posted By: Velvet
As an aside, WW is famous for creating organizations that believe they're doing the right thing, wholeheartedly.
One of these days I'll put together a game where the PCs are members of Project Pro and yes, they're the good guys.

"The Long March" comes pretty close to that right now. The PCs are back in time, have the power and resources of god, and basically decide to start their own equiv of Project Pro, for the best of reasons of course. They know full well those on the outside without full information will call them evil (if they are caught), and they think it's worth the risk.

Archived