Aberrant: 2011 - What is in a name

Hero

Hello.

First off, I would like to introduce myself. I am called Hero.

Secondly, I know I've taken on quite a nova name for myself. Being a hero is not who I think I am, but rather what I hope to become. The name reminds me to keep trying and to not give up. I hope I make it and do the name justice.

I hope this clears things up.

That's so cool ... the noise you make, that is.

I've been a nova for just over two months now. Mostly I've been trying to learn my powers on my own and its been tough. I opted to avoid the local Rashoud facility for personal reasons, but I really respect what they do and how they certainly must help other novas.

Do you even read what you write?

I will first point out that you are a serious, serious contradiction. Seriously. You're thriving to make the world a good place that doesn't need heroes. What does that make you? Yeah..

Secondly, you're saying that we don't need heroes. If we didn't need heroes, you wouldn't need to make the world different so that we wouldn't need them.

Lastly, definitions of a hero. He can be a hero my picking up garbage of the street if he feels the need. He can be a hero by fighting off a world-invasion from the martians, or he can give CPR to a choking kid.

I need to stop. This gave me a headache.

Edit: Oh, and welcome Hero!

Originally Posted By: Lina
Do you even read what you write?

I will first point out that you are a serious, serious contradiction. Seriously. You're thriving to make the world a good place that doesn't need heroes. What does that make you? Yeah..

Secondly, you're saying that we don't need heroes. If we didn't need heroes, you wouldn't need to make the world different so that we wouldn't need them.

Lastly, definitions of a hero. He can be a hero my picking up garbage of the street if he feels the need. He can be a hero by fighting off a world-invasion from the martians, or he can give CPR to a choking kid.

I need to stop. This gave me a headache.

Edit: Oh, and welcome Hero!

Heroes get people dead.Oh you can use the teacher is my hero. But when a nova say they want to be a hero it comes off as I want to go fight Doc Doom, and form the Just-Us-League.

I make the world a better place by not being a hero. I do a job.I save lives. You know something I know there will be a time when I will have to let people die. Why do I know this? Because there will be time when I will have to face the fact, that if I tried to save them I could die myself. I can't save anyone when I am dead.

I don't risk my life, nor do I risk the lives of others. I do not fight crime. I do not have an evil villain I must stop to save the world. I am not a hero. I am just someone with a job.

Okay, I think you are being ridiculous. Even more so than before.

You are describing the word Super Hero, not Hero. Yet you keep using the word Hero.

1. A man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

2. A person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

3. The principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.

Those are definitions of Hero. And unless you are using the Classical Mythology definitions, you are just plain wrong. And if you are using the Classical Mythology, you are damned idiot. Why the hell would you apply a ridiculous Classical Mythology definition to an everyday person? This is not some comic book. This is not some play. This is real life.

So are you wrong, or are you just an idiot?

Oh, and one more thing.

Heres another Classical Mythology definition of the word Hero.

"A priestess of Aphrodite who drowned herself after her lover Leander drowned while swimming the Hellespont to visit her."

Why not go with that while we're at it? Hero, the Nova, is aspiring to commit suicide in grief.

Lina, when a Novas says some things it means different things. I don't think he meant he wanted to be a good person. I think meant something more along the lines what I was talking about. Heroic acts in the age of Novas are kind of acts you hear about in mythology.

If he means something else, then let him say so.

Okay, so. Lets get this straight. When a Nova says some things, it means different things. So if I say that I want to be a Hero, and I turn out to be the lead in a action flick, that means that I am failing in many peoples standards? My big problem here is something that you just pointed out, so thank you.

Originally Posted By: Catalyst
I think meant

Bam. You're assuming he meant something, right? Okay. How the hell are you going to lecture someone about something that you assume. You assume he was trying to be a hero from Mythos, so you went on a tangent about how we don't need them. You even went as far as to try and to get him to consider himself worthless.

You're a great person, Catalyst.

Hello Lina and Catalyst. The meaning for the name I've chosen is

1. A man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

I would like to be brave in the face of adversity. I would like to help those in need and those in danger.

Do you wear a cape? Do you think you can save the world? Even if you could become a hero, would the world need you?

I strive to make the world a place that does not need heroes. Hell I don't think we need them now.

Sorry. No cape. I have no pretensions of being Divis Mal.

I think I can save the world if I try hard enough, train hard enough, and learn from my mistakes. I guess I aim high.

I do think the world needs heroes. It’s easy to give into cynicism.

Heroes get people dead. Oh you can use the teacher is my hero. But when a nova say they want to be a hero it comes off as I want to go fight Doc Doom, and form the Just-Us-League.

It doesn't take a hero to get somebody dead. Also, I didn't make any noise about attacking anybody ... or forming some kind of exclusive club. If I wanted that kind of fun, I could have joined you as California's second nova.

I make the world a better place by not being a hero. I do a job. I save lives. You know something I know there will be a time when I will have to let people die. Why do I know this? Because there will be time when I will have to face the fact, that if I tried to save them I could die myself. I can't save anyone when I am dead.

If not being a hero works for you, so be it. I'm different.

I don't risk my life, nor do I risk the lives of others. I do not fight crime. I do not have an evil villain I must stop to save the world. I am not a hero. I am just someone with a job.

I'll risk my life. I hope not to risk the lives of others, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I don't have an evil villain. Maybe we do have something in common.

You're not a hero. I get it. For you, it’s a job. I'm out to be someone who saves lives and helps people and I don't need someone giving me a paycheck to do it.

You honestly think I do it for the money?I could more working for Utopia, Devries, GM, L.A. Just to name a few. I am not in it for the money. I work for California for the support infrastructure and it's crisis management reassures. I may have a lot of power in my hand but I am not a god and I can't do everything on my own. Can you?

You do get a paycheck, right?

Seriously, you do have bosses who have their own priorities. That works for you, but not for me. My priority is that person who needs help.

I can't do everything on my own. I'm not trying to and I've never claimed to. You keep reading more into what I'm saying than what's there.

I'm choosing not to comment on this except to say Hi! to Hero again and let it be known I was giggling madly over the exchange between Cat and Lina for reasons thus:

Mr. Brown: At Diversity Today, we believe it's very easy to be a hero. All you need are honesty, empathy, respect, and open-mindedness.

Dwight: Ah, excuse me? I'm sorry, but that's not all it takes to be a hero.

Mr. Brown: Great, well, what is a hero to you?

Dwight: A hero kills people, people that wish him harm. A hero is part human and part supernatural. A hero is born out of a childhood trauma, or out of a disaster, that must be avenged.

Mr. Brown: Uh, you're thinking of a superhero.

Dwight: We all have a hero in our heart.

Did anyone else ever watch that show?! laugh

• 2 weeks later...

Hero has it right, names, especially nova names, are important. They're a statement of who we are and what we do.

They're also great marketing and that directly affects the bottom line. That means a good name helps your career which in turn means more money and more babes. DeVries thinks this sort of thing is so important that they have a nova who does nothing but make up names and images and styles for other novas.

And yeah, I’m just parroting the official party line on this, but they’re right.

Originally Posted By: Josh Brickman
Hero has it right, names, especially nova names, are important. They're a statement of who we are and what we do.

They're also great marketing and that directly affects the bottom line. That means a good name helps your career which in turn means more money and more babes. DeVries thinks this sort of thing is so important that they have a nova who does nothing but make up names and images and styles for other novas.

And yeah, I’m just parroting the official party line on this, but they’re right.

That sounds mighty close to what Project PR folks say...

Pardon my sudden intrusion into this topic, however I could not just idly read any longer. Althought some may abhor him, I'm inclined to agree (at least in part) with Mr. Alptraum.

While you may call yourself whatever you wish 'Hero' you would do well to take into account that you have yet to do anything to live up to the moniker you have selected for yourself. Be not surprised when the respect you believe yourself due is not granted on the fact that you are not what you believe yourself to be.

All things in time. Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right use of strength.

Best of luck in your endeavors, 'Hero'.

Nice name. Could be a problem later though. Lots of people are going to hear it and assume "Asian" not "Myth". Hero and Hiro sound pretty much the same. You might want to pay attention to your marketing and product placement until the image catches on.

Originally Posted By: Autumn Solstice
For Pete's sake Brit, calm down. At least wait for the body to get cold before you decend upon it. Show some control.

For Pete? Well, for Pete, I'd do just about anything. wink

And is this business about waiting until the body's cold some sly little double entendre on your part, I wonder? grin Come on, you! smirk I said I liked her name, you're the one who's inferring more than I implied. wink

Originally Posted By: LiberTeen
And is this business about waiting until the body's cold some sly little double entendre on your part, I wonder? grin

Cold body, icy bodymorph, descend upon it, you flipped it back to me. I see what you did there, very witty. sleep

Quote:
Come on, you! smirk I said I liked her name, you're the one who's inferring more than I implied. wink

Simply because your reputation precedes you Liberteen. I'm not surprised you'd do anything for Pete. The only part that puts me on my heels is that you actually got his name.

Archived