Aberrant: 2011 - The Death of Gabriel Law

Ravenshire

A serious question folks, are we going to do this as the character requested? Does Gabe Law commit suicide in his LA home?

I ask this because Gabe had at least a peripheral effect on many characters' lives. He was going to be the host for Novas Ball Game just for starters. He was wall know and I don't want to see him just fade away (Summer either).

The Player made the request here: http://www.rpg-post.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/89248/page/1#Post89248

Gabriel commited suicide in his Beverly Hills Mansion home.

Summer ODed on SOMA.

Primal cut himself shaving and bled to death.

Problem solved.

and I think we should see it through. The characters are dead. Publicaly so. Let's conclude this.

How about we leave it the hell alone? Other characters have disappeared from the 2017 thread that had HUGE effect and we haven't felt it necessary to do anything about them. Just said, "Bummer, miss em." and left it at that.

If the player decides to come back I don't think he should be held to a post like that.

Originally Posted By: Hugin
How about we leave it the hell alone? Other characters have disappeared from the 2017 thread that had HUGE effect and we haven't felt it necessary to do anything about them. Just said, "Bummer, miss em." and left it at that.

Dude, in my history here no one has ever said "My character died this way, my other character died in this way, ect." This is why I am asking. I think this is different. Are we acting on his last wishes or what?

If the player decides to come back I don't think he should be held to a post like that.

I agree that we are diminished by the absence of any PC. I think this whole situation sucks, but I also feel that 2009 is different than 2017.

I don't think he was kidding but I also don't believe it was a thought out post. I think trying to hold him to that is a little mean-spirited.

If your character was involved with Gabe then deal with his absence in your own way. You don't need to have some sort of validation.

I don't think he was kidding but I also don't believe it was a thought out post. I think trying to hold him to that is a little mean-spirited.

I'm not trying to be mean-spirited. I am wondering if we should take his post after a month of no contact (that I've heard of) at face value. It would be easier to ignore him entirely and just move one. That's not what he asked us to do in his post.
For example, in the 2017 I plan to just ignore Revenant and assume he just disappears without ever bothering to look for him.

If your character was involved with Gabe then deal with his absence in your own way. You don't need to have some sort of validation.

The idea I had was to have Ravenshire being questioned about the drug overdose of Summer and contemplating the loss of Gabe and what that means to his offer to host the games, amongst other things. Raven will miss him as he misses what he saw as a lost opportunity to be maybe good friends.

I am not looking for validation. I wish this didn't happen because it does sound much more like an angry conversation than a well thought out plan.

I'm straddling the fence on this one. First off we have Dave saying that he is leaving, and what he says about his characters and what happens to them. Maybe it was done in anger, maybe not. It would be a shitty thing to assume something, than he comes back and needs a cheezy plot device to get characters back, or at worse, make new ones. I had no particular love for him, but that is a shitty thing to do.

On the other hand, if A is true, than B is true. Simple high school logic would say that If Dave were to leave, than thats how is characters would die. He said he was leaving, and he decided how his characters would die. They both happened at the same time. So if you were using the excuse that it was a rash decision made under the guise of Anger, than why is the first true? He stuck to what he said, even if it was in anger. Why should the second be any different.

And a third thing. You two (Hugin and P3) weren't on the receiving end of Dave's shit near the time he was leaving. I have no issues with us doing something that is considered rude. He gave me shit, and he gave a lot of other people shit. Sure, two wrongs don't equal a right. But a wrong against a wrong often feels damn so good. laugh

I'm not siding, I just think further debate should be done. I can easily go both ways.

Quote:
He stuck to what he said, even if it was in anger. Why should the second be any different.
Because the first (leaving) is yet unproven, or rather the level of permanence is yet unproven.

This isn't like breaking an egg, nothing that has happened can't be undone. If he changes his mind and comes back in a month, or 6, then we should welcome him back (prodigal son and all that). Telling him “oh yeah, we killed your characters” wouldn’t be welcoming him back.

He didn't post their deaths IC or in Fiction, and we don't have the right to do so.

Originally Posted By: Lina

And a third thing. You two (Hugin and P3) weren't on the receiving end of Dave's shit near the time he was leaving. I have no issues with us doing something that is considered rude. He gave me shit, and he gave a lot of other people shit. Sure, two wrongs don't equal a right. But a wrong against a wrong often feels damn so good. laugh

Let's just say that your moral compass and my moral compass point in different directions and leave it at that.

I'll take the sociopaths any day. grin

A compromise might be in order for what to do with his characters. While he says he's done, he might still come back. Therefore, his characters no longer earn any XP. When, and if he comes back, he can get his characters back, but not the benefit of accrued XP.

When he comes back, he could write them back into action by saying that they were in comas.

Archived