Aberrant: 2011 - I Call Shenanigans!

Summer Solstice

On whom? None other than Catalyst. First allow me to clarify, I'm not insulting, or picking on her/him in anyway. However, I read the recent fiction she was doing with Troy and I sat completely baffled on few things.

Quote:
He did not need to [know] the fact she was rich, just yet.

She is? confused According to her character sheet she has a resources of two. How can she be rich? I know she works for the State of California, but States cannot pay a nova enough to consider one 'rich'. Well off perhaps, but certainly not rich.

So how did this happen? Even with EXP expenditures and California hiring her (which they would not have done if she was a minor anyway, but that's for a different thread) she would hardly have enough yet in her bank account to be 'rich'. At best she has earned what? 16 EXP points, that’s enough for resources 4 at the END of February, so in 13 days she owns a mansion with real leather couches and bullet proof glass and Edna Mode’s security system? After taxes, and expenses it takes a little awhile to rake up enough for a Fortress of Solitude. crazy

And that still doesn’t answer the question of why a California State First Response Nova would have a Resources of 4 or 5. A Terat, or a Utopian, maybe. But States have strict budgets, and certainly not enough to pay a nova 100,000/month salary (the base monthly income of resources 4.)

Quote:
Sure she lived in a post-humanist fortress made of materials designed to thwart terrorist[s/ism?] but that was all hidden and passive stuff.

All that on resources TWO? confused

And before the 'Mentor' is brought up, I'd like to point out that a Mentor who is 'rich' is also shenanigans. Creating Professor X just so your character has unlimited funds is total crap. mad

2009 was created as a break from the 2017 stuff where it is pretty much ‘anything goes’. It is a setting that (as far as I can tell) focuses more on us staying honest to our selves and each other by posting things like character sheets, and signing the charter.

Everything I read in that fiction is blatantly the opposite of what she has posted on the character sheet. So, this is me requesting an explanation. Personally I would say more on the matter but I sincerely do not want people to think this is just some post to call you out and pick on you. It’s not.

Oh, and I’m being as respectful as possible, so please, do not curse at me like you felt driven to do with Velvet. Granted this may be a negative post, but I have (so far) been nothing but polite.

Sincerely, grin

Solstice's Player

When you work for the state they do not put you up in a Resources 4/5 villa.

Backing Is not a justification to give yourself anything you want just because you can't afford it with resources!

Ugh, this is pointless. I should have known better.

But since this seems to be okay around here, to hell with it. Since Summer has Backing 4 and Resources 4 she'll buy an island somewhere, hell, Utopia would get one for her.

Manhattan's an Island... Hmm...

Now here is the reasons he lives in that house. Take it or leave it. I could care less.

Oh no I haven't posted much about it, true. I will seek to be more open in the future.

Carlos, was told when she erupted that she was either going to have to be kept under a careful watch, jailed or put down. He opted for a close watch. He put her up in his house, he is rich form many parts of his life. He up dated a lot of the house to basically bug it, in many ways. He studies her medical reports, both physical and mental ones.

He puts spies on her, and makes sure she doesn't do anything too stupid. He plays mind games with her. Wile he does care for her, he sees first as a tool, and will be nice to her because it is far more likely that he could use her later if she likes him than not.

That house, witch she does not own. She lives in there, because it is his best interest. If Carlos was a PC, Catalyst would be one of his followers.

In the future if you want to get more open answers, you could ask me.

PS she does pay rent. She also is in the in the middle of get pay hikes that will end with her having a salary of 2 million, and thus resources of 4.

RE: Resources 4+

Resources are absurdly easy for novas to get, certainly up to 4 and perhaps even 5, even for government employees. Lots of people think with a 6 digit monthly income novas are overpaid, actually they are usually underpaid. T2M members are underpaid. Ignoring taint, it’s difficult to build a nova for 30 points who couldn’t in theory get a million a year.

A few months ago California had 700 Million dollars in crop damage to their oranges, and with tree damage they might go over a Billion dollars from a cold snap. Splash could have prevented the whole thing with a snap of her fingers, it would have been worth a million dollars, or even 20 million dollars, to have her do that. With travel time that’s one day’s work. Hurricanes are multi-billion dollar events, and so forth.

Assuming a nova is willing to sign on the dotted line, money is pretty easy. Cat having resources 4 is still pretty easy, if more risky. She’s a powerful nova, with a huge amount of potential, and just getting her in the habit of working for the State of California justifies resources 4, simply because novas really are that special. Being a minor complicates things, but when you come right down to, she is a sound investment for the state. Cat turns elements into other elements, so in theory she could do things like turn radioactive waste into lead or gold.

None of which eliminates the need to pay background points for resource dots, but I understand that’s being taken care of.

To put my personal character’s status on the table, Brickman has 5 dots in resource dots, which is hard to justify out of the box but I figured as a Thrill-seeking elite with 6 dice in Biz it would come quickly, and I didn’t want to have to pay experience for it when he gets Temporal Manip.

RE: Mentor

We’re on more shaky ground here but it’s hard to see why a minor couldn’t live with her mentor.

Originally Posted By: Courier
RE: Resources 4+
Cat having resources 4 is still pretty easy, if more risky. She’s a powerful nova, with a huge amount of potential, and just getting her in the habit of working for the State of California justifies resources 4, simply because novas really are that special.

My issue was never with whether or not she could/should have a Resources of 4. Heck Solstice does, why would call out Cat on it. The problem came up when the information presented in her fiction (she's apparently filthy rich) did not seem to match the information that was on the publicly posted character sheet (Resources 2).

Now, when I asked for a simple explination she claimed 'Backing 3' was a legitamate reason only to flip it around to Mentor 3 with Resources 4.

So which is it? Are we permitted in 2009 to just re-con what's in black in white and posted publicly several times until we discover a cover story that best suits us?
Quote:
Cat turns elements into other elements, so in theory she could do things like turn radioactive waste into lead or gold.

She has Matter Chameleon, how do propose she would pull that off?
Quote:
None of which eliminates the need to pay background points for resource dots, but I understand that’s being taken care of.

Yes, Cat cleared it all up for us in Chat yesterday. She raised her Resources to 3 (4 EXP points), then her Resources to 4 (6 EXP points), and also added Molecular Manipulation (1st dot in a Level 3 power 9 EXP points.) She even informed us that these Updates were as of March 1st.
4+6+9= 19 EXP points.

Odd... so far 16 Points of EXP is all that's been eared so far.

But my appologies, I'm sure I'm just nit-picking. It's completely wrong of me to make an attempt to keep us honest with each other I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: Summer Solstice
Okay, so first it was backing, and now it's 'I created Mentor to sponge off of'.

Must be hard to do fictions when you can't get your story straight.

Fine, whatever, have fun with that.

And before the 'Mentor' is brought up, I'd like to point out that a Mentor who is 'rich' is also shenanigans. Creating Professor X just so your character has unlimited funds is total crap.

See those words right there? I had the same reasoning the whole time. You said you would not take said reasoning. So I told you another way that could in some ways explain what you were asking for.

4+6+9= 19 EXP points.

No, that was my bad. I did the math wrong I thought we had gotten 20 by now. I talked to someone and they explaine we only had 16, and I changed it so she gains ehr power point at the start of next month.

Yes, Cat cleared it all up for us in Chat yesterday. She raised her Resources to 3 (4 EXP points), then her Resources to 4 (6 EXP points), and also added Molecular Manipulation (1st dot in a Level 3 power 9 EXP points.) She even informed us that these Updates were as of March 1st.
4+6+9= 19 EXP points.

But my appologies, I'm sure I'm just nit-picking. It's completely wrong of me to make an attempt to keep us honest with each other I'm sure.

Summer - it's ok, this is not an issue anymore. Cat will have MM no sooner than April; he just thought that we had 20 xp to date. When I explained it (after updating the mentor and resources on his character sheet since I have that sheet in my possession and I host it for the player), he understood.

Just to be clear, he's not the only one who's thought we had 20 xp to date for a while.

At this point, my only beef with the way this has been handled is that we haven't seen the "justification" for these background increases either in the OpNet or in fictions. But, Cat and I discussed this as well, so hopefully, we'll see something in the fictions soonish. And I'm just as bad about it, in my own ways; Aura has a new power which I'm going to showcase in an upcoming fiction but is already on her sheet (though she doesn't really "have" it yet). I just have another fiction she has to get through first. All of Caramel's stuff has (thankfully) been updates to stuff she already has.

So which is it? Are we permitted in 2009 to just re-con what's in black in white and posted publicly several times until we discover a cover story that best suits us?
No.
I said in theory, meaning not yet in practice. IMHO it'd be a logical theme development. Whether it actually happens or not is a different issue, and that's why hiring Cat would be more risky than getting someone like Splash (who is fully developed and fully employable). On the other hand, Splash is a 5 dots of resources gal so to some degree you get what you pay for.

Personally, if you are posting a sheet (one that does not require decrypting. Cat please fix the sheet you posted in the profile section it's an eyesore.) you should also keep documentation in that same profile thread with what's earned and what's spent.

For an example take a look at Gabriel's or Caramel's. It's not hard, I've done it four times already and it takes 45 seconds to do.

Just a suggestion.

Oh, and Cat, if you would like to also keep a character sheet posted in your Profile section for 2009 I'd be willing to help you make it more presentable.

Originally Posted By: Good Alice
And before the 'Mentor' is brought up, I'd like to point out that a Mentor who is 'rich' is also shenanigans. Creating Professor X just so your character has unlimited funds is total crap.

See those words right there? I had the same reasoning the whole time. You said you would not take said reasoning. So I told you another way that could in some ways explain what you were asking for.

Yes, but the point was that you first said 'Backing 3' and when the justification for 'Backing 3' was disproven you skipped to the 'Mentor 3' story.

C'mon Cat, you know damn well if Gabriel had neither 'Mentor' or 'Backing (Teragen)' and then all at once I suddenly had gave him 'Backing (Terats) 5 out of nowhere people would seriously wanna know 1)How and 2) WTF was I thinking.

To top it off I gave him 'Mentor 1' after I got called out and said 'Oh, his mentor got him in.' We'd all have to call Shenanigans on it.

If you answer someone with the reasoning behind your motives then you should be prepared to stand behind those motives.

Originally Posted By: Gabriel Law
Originally Posted By: Good Alice

Yes, but the point was that you first said 'Backing 3' and when the justification for 'Backing 3' was disproven you skipped to the 'Mentor 3' story.

C'mon Cat, you know damn well if Gabriel had neither 'Mentor' or 'Backing (Teragen)' and then all at once I suddenly had gave him 'Backing (Terats) 5 out of nowhere people would seriously wanna know 1)How and 2) WTF was I thinking.

To top it off I gave him 'Mentor 1' after I got called out and said 'Oh, his mentor got him in.' We'd all have to call Shenanigans on it.

If you answer someone with the reasoning behind your motives then you should be prepared to stand behind those motives.

One backing let's you use resouces of those whoa re backing you. Backing in say Devries lets you use super tech based weapons. Backing in California could let you use their resources. These resources would not be the same as Devries..Housing would be more likely than weaponry.

The "retcon", was stating that even if you threw the mentor out, there is a some what logical reason for her to live in that house.

Originally Posted By: Gabriel Law
Personally, if you are posting a sheet (one that does not require decrypting. Cat please fix the sheet you posted in the profile section it's an eyesore.) you should also keep documentation in that same profile thread with what's earned and what's spent.

For an example take a look at Gabriel's or Caramel's. It's not hard, I've done it four times already and it takes 45 seconds to do.

Just a suggestion.

Oh, and Cat, if you would like to also keep a character sheet posted in your Profile section for 2009 I'd be willing to help you make it more presentable.

http://www.geocities.com/pryzmkess/catalyst.htmn That is preaty easy to read. By the time I got that one I could no longer edit the first post.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, GM
4+6+9= 19 EXP points.

Summer - it's ok, this is not an issue anymore. Cat will have MM no sooner than April; he just thought that we had 20 xp to date. When I explained it (after updating the mentor and resources on his character sheet since I have that sheet in my possession and I host it for the player), he understood.

Just to be clear, he's not the only one who's thought we had 20 xp to date for a while.

At this point, my only beef with the way this has been handled is that we haven't seen the "justification" for these background increases either in the OpNet or in fictions. But, Cat and I discussed this as well, so hopefully, we'll see something in the fictions soonish. And I'm just as bad about it, in my own ways; Aura has a new power which I'm going to showcase in an upcoming fiction but is already on her sheet (though she doesn't really "have" it yet). I just have another fiction she has to get through first. All of Caramel's stuff has (thankfully) been updates to stuff she already has.

I will do a fiction or two on the reasoning Carlos is more powerful and why Cat's resources are going up. It may be two fictions, it may be one.I haven't thought that far ahead.

Originally Posted By: Courier

Cat turns elements into other elements, so in theory she could do things like turn radioactive waste into lead or gold.

Matter Chameleon, is a tricky power even with the best of Story Tellers. And Let me break it down the way I see it. If Catalyst becomes fire, she gains powers based on fire. She does not gain all those powers but some of them. She gains powers she tries to get. That could mean she could get flight with fire, or maybe a q-bolt, or the ability to control fires around her. She turns into a radioactive product, she could decrease it's high life, or hold it, or control it radiation...

Archived