Emergance

Deep Babbling Minor aberration

The nova no longer speaks in any language that any human mind and even most novas can understand. In exchange for this, they have subtitles that are minor forms of telepathy. IE those near the nova sees the words the nova is speaking in the most aprotite language to them, based on the languages the nova knows. IE if the nova know Spanish and the person he is talking is most comfortable seeking Spanish that is what the person sees. This does not travel threw electronic mediums.

Game Effects.

Said nova cannot talk to anyone using any electronic mediums. The nova can only talk to people who are literate in a language the nova is.

Originally Posted By: TeleForce
So would someone with Psychic Shield be able to understand you if it's a telepathic effect?
Psychic Shield won't help against Anima Banner or Information Manip, and this sounds like a cross between the two, so I'd guess 'no'.

My problem with this is the idea of the "subtitles". I get the impression this aberration affects the way one communicates, not just the way they speak. Why not make it a Major or Medium aberration and just remove the bit about the subtitles? That makes a little bit more sense, I think. Characters can subsequently purchase levels of Telepathy to make themselves understood in that manner, but not being able to type isn't that bad of a flaw. If a person can understand what you speak but simply can't read what you write, this isn't functionally different from being simply illiterate.

The reason I don't have a problem with it is other than the "can not understand him talk" this aberration isn't different from anima banner. For that matter, if he really wanted to he could just buy "Anima Banner: Subtitles" and be done with it (although it wouldn't be quite the same).

Let's get down itno it. some languages can express ideas in diffrent forms. If you have a man facing north, and you want him to face south, some languages can tell him to turn east until he is facing south and some can't. This largely doesn't mater in the case of human, but say computers.If you tell a computer to to from north to south, it could do so either by turning east or turning west. If you cannot explain that it should do it one way, you could have it go the wrong way. In many cases causing the computer to crash. Now put that in power plant, and I have this to say to you.MELT DOWN.

Languages do not fit all uniform means if conving ideas. English is a highly techenical language, and is not really at all like say Hindi, Wux, or Tootise. Evne if you know all these languages, you can't always express them in the same mode. SO you could say Anima Barrier, ture but it misses the point. If my character talks to a docotor from China who is more comfortable with Wux than English, he will be verry imited on techenical means. Further more this anima barrier is not part of his power. It is something diffrent form it. It is not about him using his power.It is about him trying to speak.

So it has it kinks and such but I do not think this flaw would fit under anime barrier.

• 4 weeks later...

Given the useful nature of the translation, Emergance, would it be acceptable to impose a minor surcharge, say 1 quantum per scene, for the translation effect? Just as a way to make it troublesome but not too difficult to make yourself understood.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Dawn, GM
...I don't like this because of the mental "insta-translator" effect. At this point, I can't support this aberration.
Ah... point. How about insisting that the "translation" effect only works if the nova can read/write that language? And/or Insist that the nova with this effect *MUST* have both 5 dots in liguistics and Mega-Int(Liguistic Prodigy)?

Archived