[OpNet] So i have built forth a few of the temples

Good Alice

I have built a temple to To the unknown God,Isis, Sol, Mithra, Sheva, Kali, Odin, and I am nearly done with the temple to Zeus.

I am saying this because these temples are now open to visitors, and those who wish to build temples of their own may do so.

I write this post in the midst of well a storm.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Nifty! I guess you are the kind of girl who takes "Freedom of Religion" to the letter on your country, arent you?

Its good to see people who have the capacity to have fun AND expand their own sense of belief with their own hands and money.

Might pay a visit to some of them, but why no Ancient Mexican gods? Im pretty sure Tlaloc, or Kukulkan, or Zapotlatenan would apprecitae a little veneration every now and then ^_~.

Ah, temples! Monuments to a golden age, to fantastic and fated figures like Athena and Apollo and Starbuck! Yes, it was a perilous time, with the fate of humanity on the brink of destruction, until they found this beautiful blue ball that we here like to call Earth!

And isn't that what religion’s really all about: bringing us together here on this wonderful Earth? We are all truly citizens of the Earth, and the zip-code of our hearts is T-E-R-R-A! And what better way to celebrate that Earthiness than to build becolumned and balconied buildings in recognition of the heavenly hosts that conjured or crafted or sneezed this wet ball of cosmic mucous into existence? Yes, whether you think hopeful thoughts to a hairy thunderer or a lady standing on a giant oyster, we are all one people, with liberty and justice and temples for all!

Originally Posted By: Regina Newcastle
I was raised up in a world where science and religion are conflicting forces, and taught a very narrow brand of religious zealotry. I will not take the time to understand the view points of others, and think that my god is the best.I think my god is so powerful than I do not even call it a god.

Or whatever, Regina you should do some studding and research. In all of the life on this earth there are two things that set humans apart from any other animals. One we have abstract forms of time, and two we are ingrained with the need to believe in thing(s) bigger than ourselves. If you do not think what I believe is real, good. It simply means that what I believe in will not kill you. You one the other put for ideals that lead to nationalist, and follows of petty polities, and last time I checked, those things do not tend to live peacefully long.

Of better yet, if you do not like what others doing then let them do it, it is not as if most people threaten the way you life and proclaim they will remove your freedom to leave a genetic history... Wait to you, religion is worse than genocide. My bad.

Originally Posted By: Sam 'The Crusader' Hill
Ah, temples! Monuments to a golden age, to fantastic and fated figures like Athena and Apollo and Starbuck! Yes, it was a perilous time, with the fate of humanity on the brink of destruction, until they found this beautiful blue ball that we here like to call Earth!

And isn't that what religion’s really all about: bringing us together here on this wonderful Earth? We are all truly citizens of the Earth, and the zip-code of our hearts is T-E-R-R-A! And what better way to celebrate that Earthiness than to build becolumned and balconied buildings in recognition of the heavenly hosts that conjured or crafted or sneezed this wet ball of cosmic mucous into existence? Yes, whether you think hopeful thoughts to a hairy thunderer or a lady standing on a giant oyster, we are all one people, with liberty and justice and temples for all!

Religion bring us all together??? Have you read history? If there is anything more divisive then religion, then I have yet to find it. Organized religion (such as those which have temples)are responsible for more death and pain then anything else in history.

I'm a philosopher, not a religionist, and have no need of temples to prop up my beliefs. Temples though should actually be considered places to suck up, not prop up.

"Heavenly hosts that".... that line makes me want to cough up some cosmic mucus myself. No offense meant but from an intellectual and philosophical viewpoint, that whole concept is cracked. Even if proof came out of the existence of true "gods" in the classical sense, who would want to forever submit their will to another entity? They had a word for that long ago, I believe it was Slavery.

And the zip code of my address is T-E-R-A-S, thank you very much. Citizens of the world...That sounds like an old Bill Clinton campaign.....

Good Alice: Religion has actually been the direct or indirect cause of much of the genocide on earth. Either one religion saying they are superior and proving it through extermination, or by anti-religious groups (such as the old USSR in Stalin's time, or Hitler) exterminating one or any religion.

Originally Posted By: Sam 'The Crusader' Hill

And isn't that what religion?s really all about: bringing us together here on this wonderful Earth? We are all truly citizens of the Earth, and the zip-code of our hearts is T-E-R-R-A! And what better way to celebrate that Earthiness than to build becolumned and balconied buildings in recognition of the heavenly hosts that conjured or crafted or sneezed this wet ball of cosmic mucous into existence? Yes, whether you think hopeful thoughts to a hairy thunderer or a lady standing on a giant oyster, we are all one people, with liberty and justice and temples for all!

Ah, true believers. I love 'em.

Mm. Alice is referring to this spectacular idiocy. I think it should answer any questions you have.

And not to worry, Msr. Rivera, I am certain she will get around to appeasing to your particular brand of mythical sky-god anytime now.

Another true believer, just in a different 'faith'.

Heh, would be horrible if people didnt had Faith. As Alice said, everyone is pushed to believe in greater things that them, even if for some its a Phylosophical movement, for others is an Organization that spans worldwide, and for others its just to think that even when they can rend reality apart at their whims, there is a being/beings far stronger than them that watch over all of us.

Am I right or what?

PS. Its Mr.Rivera. I dont dig getting called Misses.

I find your faith to be disturbing. It's very much all over the place isn't it.

I have heard very little from you that would lead me to believe that you have the best interests of those who might choose to build 'temples' on your property.

Originally Posted By: Leliel
Religion bring us all together??? Have you read history? If there is anything more divisive then religion, then I have yet to find it. Organized religion (such as those which have temples)are responsible for more death and pain then anything else in history.

I'm a philosopher, not a religionist, and have no need of temples to prop up my beliefs. Temples though should actually be considered places to suck up, not prop up.

"Heavenly hosts that".... that line makes me want to cough up some cosmic mucus myself. No offense meant but from an intellectual and philosophical viewpoint, that whole concept is cracked. Even if proof came out of the existence of true "gods" in the classical sense, who would want to forever submit their will to another entity? They had a word for that long ago, I believe it was Slavery.

And the zip code of my address is T-E-R-A-S, thank you very much. Citizens of the world...That sounds like an old Bill Clinton campaign.....

Nonsense, my blue-on-black friend! Why, just look at a group of religious folks, singing together in musical unity! Yes, there may be a bit of playful rivalry between the Presbyterians and the Baptists over who can hold the best pot luck, but that soup will warm the soul nonetheless, whether it be ladled or sprinkled or dunked like a spiritual donut. And that's kind of the point - there's a sort of hole in the middle of life that we all ring around, and that is the place that is filled by religion, because nothing else can kind of hang in the open air there.

Originally Posted By: Leliel

Liliel, I'm going to offer you the same advice I offered Trooper. Don't argue with the Crusader. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket. It's just impossible to argue with him because he exists on another plane of existance. He doesn't live here on earth with the rest of us; he soars high above the clouds of our sane minds, reaching for the atmosphere of truths that we can't begin to comprehends or understand.

My god. I'm starting to sound like him. Shoot me now. Or give me another job...

Originally Posted By: Lyn 'Indigo' Ross
Another true believer, just in a different 'faith'.

If you care to spread the definition of "faith" so broadly as to encompass all belief systems, then I suppose you may be correct. Doing so, however, drastically misinterprets the very meaning of the word 'faith'. I'd be happy to correct you;
faith: a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
I regret to inform you that the scientific method does not qualify as a "faith" in terms of the way we presently define that word. The scientific method is a system of empirical observation and experimentation that produces real and verifiable results and is under constant scrutinization and revision. In no way does it constitute a "faith", nor does provisionally subscribing to what the best evidence currently available asserts constitute "true belief".

Originally Posted By: J. 'Polymath' Rivera
Heh, would be horrible if people didnt had Faith. As Alice said, everyone is pushed to believe in greater things that them, even if for some its a Phylosophical movement, for others is an Organization that spans worldwide, and for others its just to think that even when they can rend reality apart at their whims, there is a being/beings far stronger than them that watch over all of us.

Am I right or what?

You are dangerously wrong. You may require such safety trappings, but I am thankful to say that I do not, nor do the majority of novas I have encountered or the baselines I choose to fraternize with.
It is the sign of a healthy spirit to have aspirations and goals, but neither require belief in or obsequience to anything other than ones own self-efficacy. If you are incapable of great things without being tethered to something larger than yourself, then I pity you. For some of us, we are enough.

Originally Posted By: Good Alice
I was raised up in a world where science and religion are conflicting forces, and taught a very narrow brand of religious zealotry. I will not take the time to understand the view points of others, and think that my god is the best.I think my god is so powerful than I do not even call it a god.

It is unconscionably rude of you to put words in my mouth, Mm. Alice. I would hope that anybody who has read me in the past would not be so simple as to be duped into believing I had said such things - the fact that I use proper spelling and punctuation aside - but it is an act of moral and intellectual cowardice to build yourself a straw man, put someone else's name on it, and then knock it down.

Or whatever, Regina you should do some studding and research. In all of the life on this earth there are two things that set humans apart from any other animals. One we have abstract forms of time, and two we are ingrained with the need to believe in thing(s) bigger than ourselves.

Actually, what sets baselines and novas apart from other species in a non-biological sense is widely agreed upon as being our drive and desire to learn by fiat of curiosity - that is, to learn something only for the reason of learning it, not for any specified, calculated gain - and our unique capacity to defy our instincts, a discipline that other animals have a crude command of, at best.
As for your assertions, I'd like to see whatever evidence you can provide for them outside of your own head. If you have plucked your conclusions from anywhere other than thin air, please, regale me with your thinking.

If you do not think what I believe is real, good. It simply means that what I believe in will not kill you.

Truly? Perhaps we should ask the three thousand Americans or the fifty-two Brits who came to the business end of the convictions of Islamic extremists their opinion on the matter.

Of better yet, if you do not like what others doing then let them do it, it is not as if most people threaten the way you life and proclaim they will remove your freedom to leave a genetic history...

http://coma.org

Wait to you, religion is worse than genocide. My bad.

The former tends to foment and spur the latter. Have you considered investing in a history textbook? There are some lovely ones I could suggest.

Wow... you built temples, just like thousands of nameless cultures, on thousands of nameless lands, across thousands of nameless centuries have already done.

There's an accomplishment... not a very original one... but where did you get the money for all that?

Take it from someone who knows, building permits, and materials are expensive.

Novas have money, but seriously, building eight temples as well as the land to erect them upon seems well outsidethe bounds of what a single nova is capable of, even with deep pockets.

Something ain't right.

Alice, perhaps you could construct a Temple to Charles Darwin highlighting in the sanctum, the Chainsaw of Natural Selection. By all means, don't take Regina's beliefs against religion personally, Europeans tend to be a more secular lot than Americans. On a different topic though, you have built quite a selection of temples, what if someone wanted to build a temple to the God of Abraham (Lets assume all 3 groups would agree with it). Would you have a problem with that? I'm not planning to, nor advocating it, just very curious.

Regina, please keep in mind that there is more to faith and religion than the narrow definition that you trot out every time someone brings the topic up. Were that the sole definition of religion, the old Usenet Group alt.computers.religion never would have been created, and would not still have people arguing over the best hardware and operating system.

Religion: 4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

faith: (You quoted 2 almost in its entirety) 3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

synonym see BELIEF

Belief:

3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence

In all honesty I'm not accusing you of being a member of the "Cult of Darwin" as it were, but you come across just as zealously in your defense of the Scientific Method as many religious do in their defense of their faith. The scientific method though, does hold up to Belief definition 3 and thus could be considered a faith and by proxy a religion.

I'm not trying to start a philosophical argument on the nature of religion/faith and your adherence to it, I'm just making a point. I apologize if this instigates things, but I've nearly bitten my tongue off from holding it for so long.

Thanks

Lou Anne

Regina,

I apologise if I offended you in any way. I'm personally an atheist, because no kind and generous God would have allowed half the things that were done during the Cold War.

But I envy all people their belief in other things. I only believe in information myself.

Lou Anne,

Thank you for clarifying what I was thinking.

Revenant,

Good point. The Project tends to stay the heck out of religious affairs unless it's India Syndrome.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Time to check your links there genius. This link has nothing to do with the Church of Michael Archangel.

My apologies. You appear to be using the internet, whereas I tend to favor the opnet. You should really give the latter a try sometime; the version you're using is hopelessly out of date, and - as we've seen - rife with dead and outdated links that are no longer applicable.

Originally Posted By: Lou Ann Burgess
Regina, please keep in mind that there is more to faith and religion than the narrow definition that you trot out every time someone brings the topic up...

It's the only definition that makes sense. You'll note that many dictionaries now include several meanings that would have been considered false or untrue when the words were first used (look up the definition of the word 'presently' when you have a moment), but have perversely managed to be included to the lexicon by virtue of the ignorant using them over and over and over until they have become true. Personally, I balk at such Orwellian nonsense, and I'm shocked that you do not, as well.

Again, to call science a "religion" is to spread the definition of the word religion so thin as to make it useless. Calling out scientists as being "dogmatic" or "religious" is a ridiculous crutch that tend to be employed only by dogmatists and the religious when under fire. When not on their guard, most theists would balk at the idea of science being a "religion", because they feel that their faith gives them a unique providence on Truth and a personal relationship with the almighty creator of the cosmos, something that cold, unfeeling science lacks entirely. If science qualifies as a religion, then so too must various political systems, philosophies, all forms of spirituality, and so on. Do you see where I'm going with this? By trying to wedge scientific inquiry through the narrow slat of religion, you pervert both. While millions question whether a philosophy like Buddhism is a "real" religion or not, you would try to persuade me that a process of inquiry and exploration - not an institution, not a club, but a method - is religious in nature. I'm sorry, but I respectfully assert that you are incorrect.

In all honesty I'm not accusing you of being a member of the "Cult of Darwin" as it were, but you come across just as zealously in your defense of the Scientific Method as many religious do in their defense of their faith.

Let me illustrate for you a parallel; let us assume that a significant portion of the population of this planet flat-out denied heliocentricity, the fact that the earth revolves around our sun, Helios. Now let us assume that these people, these geocentrists, were violent, full of conviction, and desperately eager to use their sovereign and physical might to change society to conform with their incorrect view of the world. Would you not feel somewhat embattled? Frustrated? Would you not be somewhat upset that the entire world had apparently gone stark raving mad, and that worse, they were taking over, wrecking the world in accord with their false ideas? Wouldn't that make you a little defensive? Wouldn't it bother you?

It bothers me.

I apologize if this instigates things, but I've nearly bitten my tongue off from holding it for so long.

You should never shy away from debate, Mm. Burgess. It is the hallmark of science that we continue to test our perception of the world with a constant influx of new evidence, and debate among reasonable individuals is one of the best sources for that. Don't ever feel the need to hold your tongue for my sake, but be prepared to be replied to.

Originally Posted By: Lyn 'Indigo' Ross
I apologise if I offended you in any way. I'm personally an atheist, because no kind and generous God would have allowed half the things that were done during the Cold War.

But I envy all people their belief in other things. I only believe in information myself.

None taken, Mm. Ross. I understand your position. It is a sometimes lonely and frustrating position to simply refuse to deny the obvious, but I have found that what one loses in wonder, one makes up for in the awe of understanding. I'd be delighted to speak more sometime.

Regina,

I'd love to talk some more. I may be in the amateur league compared to you and Machina and Hugin, but I do have beyond baseline-peak intelligence. I just hope you don't mind a telepath or having to read my rather atrocious handwriting.

Ah, Trooper. You remind me of my first husband. Guns and gung-ho. He got blown up in Vietnam - I sent the Viet Cong a thank you note because he tried to cut me out of my share during our divorce.

Don't worry, I already like you a lot more than him - you can actually spell, use decent grammar, and make intelligent points.

Archived