Aberrant: The Long March - Table Talk: The Long March

Mr Fox

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I caught up in my latest post. I just had to quote and paste to get all of my reactions in. I hope that's okay and it's not too little too late. If not, I would welcome anyone to insert their reactions to what Cody said even if it is "retconning" the scene a little bit. Again, sorry for being so "late to the party."

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten the rest of you, but I want to get a response from Meri about whether she want's to be scanned before I bring time back into sync for everyone.

Also, Does anyone else have anything they want done between the end of the party and the point at which Lorean's batteries are recharged?

grin I will assume Joani and Kyria get it together in the few hours it takes for Lorean to recharge her batteries and is jump capable again. Not that you guys are leaving the minute she can jump or anything. I'm just figuring you guys will gather on the bridge to discuss your plans once you are able jump if you choose.

What indeed?

Meri has some ambivalence. On the one hand, there's only one lead to get the answers she wants. On the other, she's not completely sure she wants them. Hee.

So basically she'd be fine with going, but if there's other stuff y'all wanna do, she'd be okay with dragging her heels a bit too. smile

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, Morgan isn't saying it for being polite, but 10 years and he could have a cure. He's been closely following Andrew's research after all. smile

Btw, I hope you guys like the way I set up the skill to cure taint in terms of mechanics. Of course you won't know what those mechanics are for quite a while yet until Andrew has fully developed his research.

Oh, and Jameson... if Andrew's knowledge gets to the point of fully developing the cure to it's maximum potential, I wonder what else he could do with that knowledge? hmm...

I hope you guys are enjoying the revelation of who the watchers are. This concept had the potential of being a huge pile of cheese if handled badly. I've tried to handle it well, think everything through fully, and reveal it all in the best way I could. Now that you are learning what has been beind it all and why, I trust you find it interesting and enjoyable. I know I've had a terrific time with this story all along knowing what was to come.

In a way the watchers are truly the ultimate Mary Sue's. That's actually what gave me the idea for this story in the first place. I plotted out what the ultimate end would be for someone with these kind of powers. What would I personally do if I had them? Not saying that I would mate with a clone of myself to produce offspring of course, but when figuring out what the original watcher would do if put in that situation, it was a logical possible outcome and it made for a good story so it became part of the Watcher mythos. Steve hit on their ultimate motivation in his post. What would you do with infinite time, and power? Boredom becomes the ultimate enemy, how do you resolve that and keep from ending your own existence? This story has been a result of that question and my attempt to answer it.

Now that you know, I hope that you approve and find the journey worth the taking? *** This is not a rhetorical question, feedback would be welcome. wink ***

Finally, not that it is over yet, but this chapter ends the original story arc. That being the case, there are many places you can go from here. Where will depend on your decisions.

It's a good development, I think. I'll admit, I didn't think he meant having kids with his clones. I assumed he meant having kids with other, non-him, humans.

But I guess there's no real reason, aside from the squick factor, he couldn't make a little inbred clone population. smile

On a strictly IC basis, this is pretty devastating stuff for Meri though. I will have to think about how this affects her.

He meant both actually, non-clones, but also the other has happened in their history as well and I thought that would be a detail that would amuse you all in an OOC fashion even if it doesn't become obvious IC. No issue of in-breeding though, they are very advanced in terms of genetics and their shapechanging is mastered to the point that it goes all the way down to the dna level. So yeah, there is the squick factor as you put it, but that is intentional and meant to point out that these guys have a very different perspective after four million years of their odd unique existence.

And yeah, it has all got to be seriously frakking with Meri's brain. wink

Archived