Character inspiration.

Wakinyan

One of the biggest influences on my creation of Totem was the song. "Beast in Me" By Nick Lowe. If you have a chance check the song out. You'll realize how well it works for him.

Have any of you had such influences for the characters you have made on here?

My characters and I expect most peoples do come from a vast range of things. Mister was, there isn't enought Utopians, er name. Ah Mister. Now what would a Nova called Mister be like.

Another TT characters was, Nova gun slinger->John Woo -> Japan and counter culture -> Japan and Culture which when of for about a week of reading about Japan before I came up with a history and name and personalty.

As for songs, quite often I would assign a song to character after I had played it and got the feel of it.

Mister doesn't have a song yet bu tI would be interested if anyone else's chars had songs.

• 9 months later...

The character Longboard cam about YEARS Ago, when there was a contest at DC comics to submit drawings for a new hero for the JLA. I thought the idea of a surfer who comes about from the nuclear meltdown of coastal nuke reactor at San onofre was a great idea. Hos powers are actually Nuclear, however it manifests as flames. This also has massive story hooks for an eco-hero. I then transferred the character to aberrant. Also, You can find LOngboard on the Justice server for City of Heroes.

and the theme song is Def "Ring of Fire" Johnny Cash. but I'm also partial to the Social D cover.

Typhoon came out of a long time interest of Naval history, and Cold War movies, coupled with the demise of a certain steel covered X-Man, I felt I should pay some respect.

So I had this idea (with the help of a few of the guys on here) of a living Submarine. and Typhoon evolved from that.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown

Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

The sun is the same in the relative way, but you're older

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

'Nuff said.

In that case Walker's song has to be either 'Interstellar Overdrive' or possibly 'Bike'. All hail Pink Floyd.

Walker as he is on the board is inspired by reading too much Sci-fi and too many biology books, probably owes a lot to the hippy character Cochrane from the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.

From the fiction piece Transition:

Kovsky is probably inspired by watching the film Pi too many times and reading too much Greg Egan.

Chotacine is probably caused by reading too much Carlos Castaneda.

Aisha is probably caused by listening to too much Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, Slipknot etc, than is strictly good for unless you plan on joining Reignofevil.com and also by being the sort of sick and twisted wrong 'un that likes playing VTM wink

Xeno is brought to you in part by the Zerg background tracks from StarCraft.

The concept was spawned from the question: "What would you get if someone with an utterly blank, empty mind erupted?" ... And a long-standing interest in non-malevolent alien mind-sets.

Chris Weiss, aka Tarot, came as I was mulling over character ideas when a line in a song playing gave me the idea of a nova artist. The song was Blinded by the Light.

If you don't know it, it goes like this;

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Another runner in the night

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Madman drummers bummers,

Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat

In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat

With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin’ kinda older,

I tripped the merry-go-round

With this very unpleasin’, sneezin’ and wheezin,

The calliope crashed to the ground

But she was...

(chorus)

Some silicone sister with a manager mister told me I go what it takes

She said I’ll turn you on sonny to something strong,

Play the song with the funky break

And go-cart mozart was checkin’ out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside

And little early-pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

Asked me if I needed a ride

But she was...

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light

She got down but she never got tired

She’s gonna make it through the night

She’s gonna make it through the night

But mama, that’s where the fun is

Mama always told me not to look into the eye’s of the sun

Some brimstone baritone anticyclone rolling stone preacher from the east

Says, dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in it’s funny bone,

That’s where they expect it least

And some new-mown chaperone was standin’ in the corner,

Watching the young girls dance

And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin’ with his frozen zone, reminding him of romance

But she was...

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light,

Revved up like a deuce,

Blinded by the light

Madman drummers bummers, indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat

In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat

With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin’ kinda older,

I tripped the merry-go-round

With this very unpleasin’, sneezin’ and wheezin,

Now scott with a slingshot finially found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand

And some bloodshot forget-me-not said daddy’s within earshot save the buckshot, turn up the band

Some silicone sister with a manager mister told me I go what it takes

She said I’ll turn you on sonny to something strong...

Jager comes from an Alternate Marvel game I STed back in the early 90's. It is a game were the Nazi's won the war in Europe and there were supers around from the Marvel universe. Since one of the PC's was a Commonwealth Intelligence Agent (Canadian), we created encounters in her characters background about the Nazi superteams. As a counter to Captain America, Jager was developed.

He has travelled a long and convoluted road since then.

This incarnation was developed in the first Aberrant game I was in, though it was based in a Cyberpunkish world (the ST loved the setting) and somewhat in the future. His game began in 2015, oddly enough.

I was thinking more like Baron von Struker(?). I liked the Hydra-Fenris storyline.

Actually, the way it worked out, the "present" Jager was the third one in the line. The Jager's weren't frozen in ice, or immortal. The original was still alive and had killed his son, the second Jager, when it was discovered Jager II had sympathies for non-Aryan peoples.

Bad Nazi!!! Bad!

Jager III was the grandson.

This all worked out because the theme of the game was family lines based on the mutant gene, which came about because two other players wanted to be from a longstanding mutant hero families (1960's X-manish). I love it when the players help me build the world.

Of course, we had an ancient wizard reborn in the body of his descendent(who destroyed the bulk of his magical knowledge in the prelude - which made him much more playable), the cat-creature who was magically bound to the wizard, and the disembodied psychic who inhabited the bodies of the freshly dead and who had amnesia.

I feel so inadequate.

Juri came out of a desire to play a self-erupted nova. Once I'd decided that, I knew she would be very confrontational about the fact that she "earned" her eruption and the majority of novas didn't.

She was half-Japanese half-American almost from the get-go, and the "Fire" aspect of her came once I figured out how she self-erupted.

I had this image of a burning girl walking out of a burning building to the utter shock of the firemen trying to put out the blaze, then collapsing in a heap in front of them before being carted off to the hospital to be treated to burns to her feet and legs.

After that, I knew she was a student, and I knew that she was going to lie about being a wanna-be nova for a while just so she could judge how the "quantum accidents" would jump at someone telling them they had undeserved power.

The basic bits of her history fell into place after that.

She didn't have any other "inspiration."

Hmmm.

Prodigy-Don't know really, he just kinda popped up.

Lemmy Chillmeister and Vile Bill both came from tehir names. Name popped into my head, I liked them and worked from there.

Slattern came from a need for that particular story and grew up afterward.

GMC-A visual of Cookie Monster had been floating around in my head. First as a tiefling for a D&D game. Then as a nova. My ST told me that if I played him we'd be using something similar to the Travelar character generator and that my character *would* die before the first session. So I finally had a chance to use him here.

alos, Longboard is definitley me as a young teenager. raging horones, beach kid, a half-breed(half-mexican) I definitley identify with the mischieviousness in him, it was sooo opposite of the good catholic boy I am. hehe. he also adds to the escape fromt he rigid military life i lead in the for reals world. and just a side note. I dont have to try to talk like Longboard. I really do say dude that much. I am soooo LA

Conduit is based on a close friend from Highschool. If my friend erupted he would have a personality much more like Lemmy. Conduit is a "What If" of that.

Lee is based pretty much on myself.

In all though I can't say that I was inspired by a song like Totem was.

Cull came from the idea that some people latch on to dreams or ideas that they simply don't understand and can't even support. They just so need to believe in something that will follow that goal refusing to listen to anyone or anything that might try to enlighten him.

That and I like the idea of how he can kill so many people and get away with it.

Billy is based off the classic: "If I wanted to be a Nova, what would my life be like."

It's kind of lame to admit but Billy's just me with the power to be able to ignore a big chunk of the Doom that exists in the Aberrant universe.

And I'm a horror freak film student in real life.

And I like the idea of a Geek bringing Double Abyss structure to the game (by having Comic Book lore in a game designed after the Comic Books).

Archived