Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Matt

The graphics & effects look decent, but that likely won't be enough to revitalize a plotline that stale IMHO. Ditching the expanded universe & its associated books made sense from a writing viewpoint, but that also ticked off a lot of their fans IIRC. If there's insufficient nostalgia for Star Wars out there, that could combine with outrageous cinema prices to make this film the first flop in the series.

For a teaser trailer, it doesn't tease much. There's spaceships. There's a dude with a dark robe. There's a lightsaber. Oh hey, x-wings, TIE fighters and the Falcon.

Yep. This is sure Star Wars. But we saw that on the tin. What's IN it?

As a side note, the little side-blades on the lightsaber made me laugh. What's the point? The emitters for the guards poke out, so any lightsaber fight where the blades slide down each other (which is what the guard is supposed to block) will just slice through the guard emitter...and then your hand. To use that guard, you'd have to very carefully make sure only the glowy bit intercepts the attack...at which point it's probably easier to use the much larger glowy bit of the main sword.

CGI has definitely added some cinematic fun, what with the fighters flying low over water and the crazy chase cam behind the Falcon, and that's yay but I really need some meat to get excited over something. No meat here. Better luck next time.

wasnt a big star wars fan to begin with (sorry don't mean to hurt feelings) and this trailer didn't make me one.

As a side note, the little side-blades on the lightsaber made me laugh. What's the point? The emitters for the guards poke out, so any lightsaber fight where the blades slide down each other (which is what the guard is supposed to block) will just slice through the guard emitter...and then your hand. To use that guard, you'd have to very carefully make sure only the glowy bit intercepts the attack...at which point it's probably easier to use the much larger glowy bit of the main sword.

Agree and so does just about everyone else lol I wonder if it will survive post production

I have to admit, it does look like some sword-fetishist's attempt to make a lightsaber claymore. If there's anything like logical weapons development in the Star Wars universe - a stretch, I know! - that just HAS to be an archaic design that was abandoned for the single-blade lightsabers.

No clue if Darth Maul's double-blade lightsaber was another archaic design, though.

Archived