[OpNet] Fracture's Fun Poll #3

Fracture

Please choose one: if you do not wish to choose one, please don't reply to this.

Would you rather:

A)Create a completely new musical instrument that while beautiful to hear, is of sufficient complexity to play that only 5 percent of all musicians in the world will ever bother to learn it

or

B)Create an entirely new language, with a unique grammar, syntax, honorifics, and genders, but will eventually be spoken by about 30 percent of the world's population.

Creating a new language wouldn't be helping more people communicate clearly... It's only going to add another layer to the Cake of Babel that already exists. (You ever tried ordering food or catching a cab in New York?) Why not market a universal translator if you want to facilitate communication?

I'm feeling contrary, though, and since no one has any good reasons for making a musical instrument no one will ever play... I'm going with the second option. Besides, like the little blue ray of sunshine above me said, it'd be so ridiculously easy (and fun) to screw with 70% of the population.

Wow, I think the pink has gone to your grey matter pinky. What makes ya think that a language will catch on everywhere just because it has your name on it? If everybody was going ta speak the same language, there are already a ton to choose from.

People don't like change, and you ain't changin' that.

She's delusioned her self into thinking that just cuz she can build just about everything, that everyone in the world must be lining up to get it.

Have you noticed not a single post passes that she does not find some way of saying "Well, I can do this." or "If not I'll build one, cuz I can.".

She like a toy, collecting dust on the shelf of the world begging us to pay her some attention.

Quote:
Originally posted by Endeavor:
Defiantly B. But then again, if I chose, I could design a language that would eventually become universal.
You don't honestly believe that do you? I understand that your talent with the mechanical and computer sciences are formidable, but you have a poor grasp of social forces.

I'll go with A. The world always needs more beauty.

English is already understood by 30% of the world's population. It hasn't seemed to help all that much.

As for the Captain ... well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If everyone waited for 'sufficient' knowledge and for all their ducks to be in a row, nothing new would ever get done.

The world always needs more beauty? As the old saw goes, that's in the eye of the beholder. Exactly how much "beauty" do you think is going to be showered down on mankind from 5% of all musicians everywhere? Let's try to stick to the realm of logic, if possible, and consider the existing beauty in the world that's neglected because someone wants to make a shinier harmonica and drown out the birdsong... build a perfectly level parking lot and raze an old growth forest... or slaughter countless furred animals because the new line of designer plush garbage has to meet Milan's schedule!

...Perhaps that was a bit impassioned, but my point remains. The world is full of beauty as it is, and complicating something that should be simple and pure will do nothing to add to it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vixen:
There's this new technology called the 'record.'
No kidding? Wow. And this fabulous new technology is going to change the musical output of that ridiculously small number of musicians, allowing them to actually make more music individually to distribute and bestow upon the musically destitute?

Unless there's a magic wand to let them corner the market, 5% of all musicians playing is still 5%, regardless of how you're listening to them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vixen:
Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
Exactly how much "beauty" do you think is going to be showered down on mankind from 5% of all musicians everywhere?
There's this new technology called the 'record.'
You still listen to records?

Less than 2% of the people of the world listen to records.

Who the fuck wants a record when I can get it on a much clearer medium.

Records... that's a good one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Emerald:
La différence is hearing music or hearing music as a computer thinks it is. The vinyle will provide the true sound. Différence d'opinion.
Yer a lot like a record Emerald. Right now I'm wishing I could listen to you in a medium I could understand clearly.

Christ on a crutch, pick a damn language already ya idgit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
Unless there's a magic wand to let them corner the market, 5% of all musicians playing is still 5%, regardless of how you're listening to them.
But that still means more people than just the 5% of all musicians can enjoy the music... heck, I think more than 30% of the world could have an opportunity to enjoy the product of that instrument... I mean, that's why I picked that option.

Quote:
Originally posted by Flicker:
Quote:
English seems to be a simple language to master.
English was your first language, I take it.
Actually, no. I was learning it before I erupted, and afrerword... well, I can speak it in several different accents. Not to mention several other languages.

I just find that English is the less mangled when translated to other languages digitally. Unlike translating other languages into englsh.

It's hard to confuse the meaning of Shakespeare in English.

Quote:
That's because Shakespeare was English, Sakurako, of course it makes the most sense in his native language. I'm certain the anime you sent Regan and I near Christmas carries much more meaning in Japanese than it does in English or Spanish or any other language.

Quote:
Originally posted by Revenant:
Quote:
La différence is hearing music or hearing music as a computer thinks it is. The vinyle will provide the true sound. Différence d'opinion.
Yer a lot like a record Emerald. Right now I'm wishing I could listen to you in a medium I could understand clearly.

Mais naturellement. Je n'ai pas su que vous avez parlé français. Êtes-vous heureux maintenant?

Quote:
Quote:

Dude, she's probably a Quebecois, those fuckers love mangling the French language and pretending they ain't just a bunch of moose-fucking, hockey-loving, syrup-rubbing-all-over-their-bodies, Canucks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy Chillmeister:
Quote:
Quote:

Dude, she's probably a Quebecois, those fuckers love mangling the French language and pretending they ain't just a bunch of moose-fucking, hockey-loving, syrup-rubbing-all-over-their-bodies, Canucks.
Alright you funny fucker, I'm buying you a beer for that one. Heh.

Quote:
Originally posted by Singularity:
Quote:
That's because Shakespeare was English, Sakurako, of course it makes the most sense in his native language. I'm certain the anime you sent Regan and I near Christmas carries much more meaning in Japanese than it does in English or Spanish or any other language.
Reading Shakespeare in Japanese makes my head spin sometimes. Try reading it in Klingon, and you might get the same sensation.

English is just a far more to the point language, that can be upgraded as required.

Quote:
English is just a far more to the point language, that can be upgraded as required.
English is more to the point for certain topics but not all topics. Latin, for example, can say in three words what takes an entire sentence to say in English. Also, as my golden goddess of language and communication has pointed out to me before, English lacks certain words for certain concepts. Like schadenfreude and dharma.

Emerald makes a valid point, Revenant. A vinyl record in pristine condition, spun on a properly calibrated turntable with a diamond stylus (or sapphire, if you don't mind changing the stylus much more often) and played through a vacuum-tube amplifier, will have a fuller, rounder sound than what one can obtain from media such as audio DVDs played back via a digital processor. Pay a visit to even a baseline audiophile and you can have the technical details behind the phenomenon, but essentially it is the difference between true waveforms and the on-or-off nature of digitized information.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harold 'Mythic' Anderson:
But that still means more people than just the 5% of all musicians can enjoy the music... heck, I think more than 30% of the world could have an opportunity to enjoy the product of that instrument... I mean, that's why I picked that option.
Yes... more than just the musicians can enjoy it. But with only 5% of all musicians actually playing it, or even bothering to learn it (whether they actually market anything worthwhile is another issue completely), how much do you think they're actually going to produce? My point is that with so few people even able to learn to play the stupid thing, it's not exactly going to be the latest musical craze sweeping the globe.

...Wait a minute. You're that XWF guy, aren't you? Ugh. Why am I even bothering to argue with a guy who wears tights for a living?

Archived