Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 12: Echoes of Eternity

Justin OOC

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Don't worry, Hideko, you're safe with me. Unless the study is purely for your benefit in the long run, of course. Your health should be a top priority."

She adjusts her clothes. "While it's my duty to look after the well being of my juniors, I will only allow examinations if it is for their own benefit, and that no undue stress is caused to them."

"I assure you Hideko, as head of Satoshi's medical science division, there are few who will treat you better." Dr. kaunac smiled and Kai blanched abit, remembering those words himself.

Food was brought out for everyone, and the group sat to eat. About halfway through the meal Roshi looked up.

"I believe all fo you came here with questions, did you not? Looking for someone, a man with wings?" He looked at Skye, a man who has been here before, or at least, someone who looked very much like him."

He sighed. "He's not here. Some others with wings came and took him. I don't know where, they left this dimension entirely."

Shiyukumei looked stunning in a kimono, her voice was resounding in the large hall, "Now that we are all gathered, we can set up our next move, I was hoping that you have information on his home dimension so we might come up with a proper strategy." She was all business, pleasure had to wait, again it seems.

"Bloody hell, other dimensions? Okay I've just gotten used to home and the one I returned from some time ago and this place... there's... more?"

Rebecca sits on a chair. Well, more like nearly collapses. "At this rate I'll be a old maid by the time I see home again..." She whispers before getting back on subject.

"Is there... anyone who could provide a cliff's notes synopsis of just how many universes there are we hop through as if on a sunday stroll?"

Roshi's face darkened. "There are significantly less than that, now. No more than thirty. We've been watching the disappear from the dimensional radar. I do not know the cause, but I an only surmise something is going on in the prime universe that is adversely affecting the entirety of all."

Lily nodded politely at the greeting, but mostly listened. She shot a worried look at Skye at the revelation that Kazuo had been 'kidnapped' by other angels...but even THAT paled next to the talk of other dimensions vanishing entirely!

"How can you be sure that's what's happening?" Lily asked, standing up. "Which dimensions have vanished? Maybe Kai can open a Gate...if we can see what's there, it might give us clues. Besides, I've never heard of a 'prime' universe. The concept is silly. There are infinite parallels...none of them are more, or less, real than the others. We need clarity for something this important!"

"There were at one point infinite possibilities. There are not anymore." Kai nodded. "'I'd need a skeleton gate to check the numbers."

Roshi nodded. "You've never noticed lily because you are from the Prime Universe. Francis, Hideko, Skye, Kazuo, they are not. They have different dimensional signatures."

"Yours, like Kai's and everyone else from the Prime dimension, cannot be altered. Cathedral is gone now, as is Imago."

Kai looked down.. "Ariel." a friend and comrade gone, just like that.

"The dimensional radar picks up the signals from all of reality, and one by one, the signals representing many dimensions have simply vanished. we do not have the staff, or the real means to explore and try to come to understand what's happening. We have no CRT support, no mecha, no armor, only the minifabricators and the Defense grid." Dr. Kaunac looked at them. "If not for my duty, I would have gone forward and gone on my own."

"Going on your own, Doctor would be unwise." Rebecca says. "If something is causing some sort of block on your sensors, that is a pretty major power you are dealing with. Thing is it takes much more to cause a quantum shift powerful enough to collapse a universe."

She scratches her chin. "Then again, if something took all of the energy from within a universe, that would cause instant heat-death of that universe, causing it to simply break down completely..."

She wipes a little blood from her nose. "No... I can't think that... such a thing is impossible to achieve... And monstrous to perpetrate."

"it doesn't have to be a creature, or some intelligent agency," Lily said. "It could be some kind of...natural disaster on a huge scale. I don't really know much about other dimensions though. Is there any way to predict which dimension is going to be next? Maybe we can get to it fast enough to at least see what's happening. We're operating blind here...we need information if we're going to act."

Well the smallest weapon I know that could do it is the PT cannon on the Nadesico. If it were fired at full power at a dimensional core it could collapse the dimension. Considering that ship took fifteen years to construct, and would be annihilated by the effort, It would be something nobody sane would do."

Dr. Kaunac looked to Lily. "We've seen dimensions collapse before. There used to be a large number of them attached to specific people. You witnessed this when you fought Gilgamesh, his Gate of Babylon is just that, the doorway to a treasure house dimension. That dimension survives even now, because it latched onto someone else. Kai's Second stage bankai creates a tiny pocket dimension every time he uses it. This dimension disappears once he releases his bankai form. What's most notable, is that aside from a few tiny exceptions no new dimesions are being spawned. This points to problems with the Prime Dimension. As a native myself, I have a baseline reading. I cannot scan the Prime Universe. We cannot open portals there. It's been like this for a Century."

She smiled. "Still I've filed my reports as I could, and I've finished research on both the flower and the water here. I've even found away to innoculate someone against the effects of Manaburn."

"Great." Francis rubbed his head suddenly, as he realized the only suggestion he could offer with regards to potential multiversal catastrophe. "I guess I have to offer this dangerous idea, given the situation. Dangerous most likely for me... but anyway. It sounds as if we need help, and I know of a non-Prime Native group that not only specializes in regular trans-dimensional travel, but also has a vast body of knowledge and research on the subject of dimensions. My home timeline's Cross Time Acquisition Authority. The organization I used to work for."

Shiyu pursed her lips, this was an interesting development, "I did research on this and built a few prototypes for feasibility, but that was over a millenia ago, perhaps if we could get some readings I could at least rule out technological as to the basis." She thought, "as for stopping them, if I had my notes it could prove a good starting point."

Rebecca crosses her arms in thought.

"The whole continuum is in danger... we need all hands on deck if we are to save not only this universe, but all universes in existence. God help us if this is a group we have to battle. Because that sort of power they wield could be insurmountable... but by god we'll try."

She claps her hands together. "The Synchro Cannon! Does that system on board the SeaTalon have any chance to stop a ship carrying a Dimensional Cannon?"

"Also... new universes should be created every moment of existence... that happens as a result of various cause/effect trees resolving... is it possible that universes are being pruned to one possible resulting outcome? Sort of a manipulation of probability?"

Kai looked at Francis. "That could work actually. I'd be willing to bet they'd have more information than we do now."

Kai looked at Shiyukumei and sighed. "That's probably where The Federation, and even Satoshi got the ones they have then.When we get back home, We can get you your notes, and if you're willing I can provide a lab that you may find up to specs to conduct your research."

He looked to Rebecca and nodded. "We will fight if we must, but we will set things right. It is possible to do as you stated, Reality is mutable. I died once, but an artifact brought me back. I can still remember what it was like, both ways."

Rebecca adjusted her clothes. "Quite honestly, we're gonna need to get moving as quickly as possible then. Before whatever it is gets hungry for our home as well."

"After we've taken care of obligations, of course. I would assume our original reason for coming here has indeed been a wild goose chase and we are going to be heading back soon, correct?"

"Yes, after getting the data, we'll head home." Kai nodded.

"Dr. Kaunac smiled. "I'll be coming with you, bringing my research, and if you have room. the samples."

"Kai nodded. "We've got a dropship that's mostly empty, if you can pilot one."

"It's been years, but yes, I can."

"So what of Lawrence, Kai?"

Kai shook his head. "Until he threatens this installation and our people here, it's not my problem." he looked to the others to see if there was any issue with this.

"Well don't mind SeaTalon... she will do her best to not cramp things much in the ship's cargo bay. Although I think lately she's... I don't know, maybe I'm attributing too many human characteristics to her than I should. She is an AI but..."

She snaps out of her train of thought. "As for any threats, I should be appraised as soon as humanly possible since I am a combat asset. I cannot serve Kai being ignorant. What sort of threat does Lawrence present?"

Lily, pacing a few meters away with her brows knit in concentration, glanced back and said, "It's like Kai said...this dimension thing is bigger than Lawrence. Anyway, I'm sure Lawrence is strong and tough, but I doubt he's on Hizashi's level, or Takashi's. In short...we can handle him. It's his armies that make him a threat."

She gave Skye a sympathetic look, then shook her head. "Given what we've learned, I think we need to follow up on the dimensions first though. That threatens this whole cosmos...as well as our own and who knows how many others. Francis, if your parallel has a lot of knowledge about moving through dimensional space, maybe we should start there. What do you think, Kai?"

That's my plan but I'm not going with just us. "When I get back to Prime, I'm going to call for a few more ships, including the Nadesico. The Amaterasu and Macross are in no shape to move, and they'll be needed to guard the gate. I'll leave CRT Eight there in it's entirety, along with elements from the old CRT's 1 and 2. Everyone else with us, and the ships I call will jump to Francis' dimension flying the white flag initially. If we find something there to fight so be it, We will vanquish it with extreme predjudice.'

He looked at Shiyukumei. "I'd ask you to come with us, and to grant us the use of the gate." He didn't have to, and they all knew it.

"We might have the Macross, Kai." Rebecca adds.

"It's a risky play, so I'm only going to see if it would work with the Macross. The SeaTalon has a nanotech recovery system that allows it to self-repair. If I can fool some of those to believe the Macross is part of the SeaTalon's body, it could trigger an emergency regeneration process that will restore the Macross to fighting condition."

"Something that big though could put a terrible strain on her, but if that means we have a second capitol ship in the fight I believe it would be worth it."

"Very well," she didn't say it, but it would help her attone for her sins, she pushed away from the table and stood her full fifty feet in height, "we should not waste another moment then."

Shiyu offered a short bow, "I thank you for your hospitality, I apologize for not fully enjoying it." With that she made her way out, she packed away the Kimono and changed into her skin tight flight suit before returning to Angelus in the surrounding forest.

Kai nodded. "So be it." He led the others outside, and called upon the tori to serve as a door, through ehich the mecha and dropship emerged.

Rebecca debarked Seatalon, and the dropship was loaded, Once this was done, everyone mounted up and Kai and Shiyukumei lead everyone back through the gate to Prime. Faintly somehow, they could hear Roshi. "Goodbye." They emerged into Prime, and at the controls of the Meteor, Kai spoke in a hushed voice.. "It's gone, It's gone, just like that."

They'd all witnessed the final moments of an entire dimension, and they were the only survivors.

"They won't get another. This will end, one way or another."

He sat there looking at Lily and Sakura. "All that's left are our memories, like echoes into eternity."

(10 cp to everyone)

Archived