Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 12: Echoes of Eternity

Justin OOC

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lance blinked.

It was a somewhat jarring experience. One moment he had been sitting at the bar, prying what he could from the barkeep's thoughts. The next moment all hell had broken loose. He had just barely gotten out his rifle and had gotten it aimed at one of the three thugs who were closing in on him when he suddenly found himself outside in the middle of the woods.

"Well, I wasn't able to glean much, except that the barkeep seems to knows a lot more than he's letting on," Lance said in reply to Kai. "I didn't have enough time to make sense of all that was going on in his head, but it seem he's some kind of informant for this Lawrence character."

"If we're going back there for more information," he added in a flat, even tone, "He should have at least some of the answers we're looking for."

"There's other towns," Lily pointed out. "And Skye, I'm not sure those guys were against the Emperor. The feeling I got was more like they were some kind of secret police...they heard us asking questions; weird, suspicious questions, and they tried to take us down. I'm sure they would have left some of us alive for questioning...not that that's much consolation. But thanks for clarifying the 'two outsiders' thing...I didn't get that before. It makes sense now though."

At Lance's info, Lily frowned a little, but nodded. "We could do a snatch and grab. Teleport in, grab him, teleport out."

Francis quietly listened, frustration spent at the moment. The blatant fact was that they didn't have the ability to afford playing along with Lawrence's vendetta. "Ok, Lance. So we'd better drag him off, at least so he is less likely to inform on the wanted... wanted?" Something lit up in Francis' eyes and he teleported back to the bar. As he thought, the bartender was still there, right by him. Immediately, he wrapped an arm lock around the informant and teleported outside the bar, pausing to pull off something he'd noticed before but not really paid attention to. Then he reappeared with the man and a paper in his hands.

Francis let down the sputtering barkeep and chuckled. "This was on the outside of the bar... I almost didn't realize what this is." He passed over the paper to Skye. "Remind you of anyone?" It was a poster of a

man with a scar, much like Kazuo, with a very large number at the bottom. "Another thing to get out of our friend here. Kazuo may just have a bounty on his head, which at least makes following his trail easier."

"That was quick," Lance said as he gave Francis a nod of approval. He turned his gaze on the barkeep, who seemed to shrink back from the attention, a puzzled and somewhat alarmed expression on his face.

"Kazuo definitely came through here," Lance said after a moment of concentration. "He apparently raised some sort of ruckus before leaving, headed west." He paused. "That was around 6 months ago."

"So find out the current lay of the land," Skye said, then looked at the captured barkeep. "Alright, buddy. Tell me the geopolitical situation here!"

"The what, elf?" he sputtered.

"Tell me how things work here," Skye said as clearly as she could. "Tell me who's in charge and what is happening with your people. Was that clear enough for ya?"

Shiyu nodded, "very well." She took her leave and undressed away from prying eyes, at least the ones that weren't well hidden leaving her arm computer on, after all, it was water proof. She stepped out gingerly, a ginormous towel covering her assets, "I guess I am ready, lets see what you have to offer."

"I ain't gotta tell you people anything..." The bartender found himself face to face with the barrel of a gun as big as his face. Ryoma nodded. "You don't have to, no. I believe you want to though. Just like I "want" to pull the trigger right now."

Cowed by the fact he wouldn't live if these people didn't want him to, He began to talk.

"The Emperor came to power almost a century ago after the tragedy of the grail wars ended. Though on the losing side, Lawrence was one of a handful of beings still left with beyond normal powers. He used these early on to secure backing from various small lords, before forging BoneGate with the aid of two otherworldly heroes. The last Archmage, Arioch, moved beyond the sea, escaping the conquest of Azar. Not content with what he ruled, The Emperor sought new allies, using the world gates. "What happened next was a legend. A dozen great beasts descended from the skies, and the Dragons descended on them. It was a slaughter. The heavenly beings perished almost to the last, along with most of the Firedrake Clans of Dragons. Still Their ships were largely intact. The Emperor took the few survivors and bent them to his will, and they were the first technomagi. Using them he had others trained in the use and manufacture of the devices within the ships."

He shrugged. "That should have been the end of it, after forty years he had an army, and a mighty industrial machine that should have should have been unrivaled. That wasn't the case." His armies marched over the mountains, and through the air, What they saw coming to meet them was pathetic. Mounted Calvalry, with archaic weapons. Fodder, even for dragons. Then the sky tore open, and fire bathed the entire battlefield. The sky itself began to shimmer, and The metal Titan revealed itself. As large as a mountain, It extended it's arms and death bathed the battlefield.

Eighty percent of the Emperor's army vanished in those attacks, and he retreated beyond the mountains, having nothing to deal with something like the Titan."

"Since then he's raided, and sent spies such as myself to find the ship."

He smiled. "I know where it isn't at any rate."

Shiyu was lead out to a spring that looked like a lake. Indeed it's deepest point was almost forty five feet in depth, and warm all the way to the bottom. It wasn't scalding, but quite enjoyable. She was alone, save for the attendant. "Do you require anything else?"

Lily's mouth fell open. "Then...Lawrence is losing? But then what is the Titan? Who controls it? What do they want?" She gestured at the town.

"Things seem tranquil enough right now...the Titan doesn't seem to be in the hands of a tyrant."

"Nobody knows. It's shown up generally to make a point and then it vanishes. I wouldn't say he's losing, merely that he lost that first battle. There are rumors of big things going on back home, but I haven't been back in twenty years. Part of the cover you all have ruined."

He looked at Kai. "He hates your family. Blames you still for Asia's death, even after a century. So few of her people survived, because the champions of Arioch won."

Francis tapped his chin. Nothing like the Titan that he'd heard of, though arguably a mecha of some kind. "Right... since we're still going to be facing the chances of a tangle with Lawrence's forces... what's he got in powered forces besides the dragons, and the techno-mages? Any big names we should know about?"

"Not as of now, other than I still need to figure out your rates here, but I suppose I will enjoy myself for now, thank you." She slipped in and allowed herself to float a little, her torso proving to be quite buoyant. Shiyu enjoyed the heat of the water, sighing and slipping a little deeper.

Shiyu enjoyed herself in the lucid pools for a time, before her eyes opened and her face took on a look of annoyance. She checked her computer, "no cameras...a peeping tom then," she shook her head, "paranoia perhaps, no ones that stupid." She sighed and looked through a holo locket, her look becoming angrier, bursting out of the pool she ripped the locket off her neck and threw it into the wilds, "Jerk!" This probably caused unneeded destruction and possible deaths, "perhaps I shouldn't have done that..."

The crash of the locket scattered birds, and of course, she stood giving old man Roshi a great view of a fifty foot beautiful woman. "Very nice young lady, very nice indeed." She caught only a glimmer of movement, the faintest image of a very elderly bearded man, then she was alone again.

"Oh come now, it's not like you're some innocent young flower. I bet I'm not the first to see you that way." Her locket came sailing back through the air to her. "That your boyfriend? Looks like the strong dutiful type." She couldn't place the voice it seemed to come from nowhere.

"I wouldn't bother callin your mecha. It's fine, it's just not gonna answer you."

---------------

the bartender shook his head. "I wouldn't know, I haven't been home in twenty years."

He nodded. "Wise to expect there would be some notables. He learned well that a group of special people nearby could be better than an army."

Shiyu caught her locket easily enough, "if you touched my Angelus...." she growled, "you insufferable pervert come out of hiding!" He voice echoed throughout the area, peasants would probably fear for their thatched roof cottages at this time. She sighed and calmed herself, talking through gritted teeth, "alright, you do seem to have me in a compromising situation, come out so we can talk about this," most were a sucker for this, "p..please."

"So he sent you to find a ship," Lance interjected into the discussion. "And not just you. He's probably sent other spies to find some of the other ships as well." He raised an eyebrow. "But what does he want to do with them?"

He paused for a moment to pluck the answer from the bartender's mind. "So he wants to restore them to operational status? I see..."

Rebecca taps the bark of her tree in nervous anticipation. "A Titan... Sounds like a very big ship or robot to me... Now I'm interested."

Rebecca feels ready for whatever comes, remembering when she faced down giant armed fortresses and the best the universe she was trapped in could offer.

"Seatalon... You wanted to help... you're about to get your fair share."

"The only time I saw it was years ago on the coast. It stood in the water, with hundreds of ships going to and from it. Merchant vessels brings foodstuff and raw materiels to it, and bringing back Lumen engines, and weaponry."

"The Titan is just that, a Man of metal, thousands of feet high."

"Thousands of feet?" Lily repeated, stumped. "But the only mecha I've ever heard of that's that big is the Macross when it changes to its alternate configuration."

She focused on the innkeeper again. "This 'man,' does it have...a pair of long towers that sprout up from his shoulders? And when it unleashes its attack, those towers fold down to point forward?"

Ryoma looked at Lily. "How in God's name did you know it could do that? I mean I know you saw the Quarter do it once, but the Macross never has. It's something that was tested on the prototype, but it didn't work well. We had a beast of a time getting it to go back."

Kai nodded. "She was there when Klan and Ruri showed me the modifications we would have to make for the main gun to fire without the Star drive linkage."

The Bartender watched them carefully. "They could be booms yes, Though I've only heard them called the "Horns of the Titan."

"You sound familiar with it, and not. All I can tell you is that anyone who has boarded it hasn't returned, and When it doesn't wish to be seen, it isn't."

Francis sighed quietly to himself, as he didn't really have any other questions or particular thoughts to muster for the barkeep at this time. Besides, it sounded like he'd hear about the 'Titan' or whatever mecha it was in due course. And of course, as Rebecca had been doing until now, a watchful eye had to be kept out for pursuers or spies. Fortunately, he was well equipped for all of that. Heading over to that tree nearby Rebecca, he athletically climbed it and one near the top, slipped down his sensor glasses and began scanning the area in radar, sonar, infrared and normal perception channels.

And with his genetic modification and technology- he heard it. Something definitely large and generating a major infrared signature, more than one even. The sounds were coming from the west towards their direction. "Heads up!" He called down, "We got some large group incoming from the west."

Francis finally caught a glimpse of it, it was something he'd only seen once before, A pack of land dragons. They were all riderless, and seemingly crazed, their eyes gleaming with bloodlust. Each of the animals was almost thirty feet long, and looked like gigantic thick-legged monitor lizards. One of them though had a bright yellow crest. It was different, it was a Male Grand Basilisk.

Kai shook his head to Rebecca. "There's no need for that."

"More like things..." Francis stopped suddenly and went pale from memories of his last visit and view before he reminded himself that the powerful members of this group could take them. "Dammit." His voice was controlled, but with difficulty. "A pack of land dragons, ten all told. Riderless, blood-crazed and headed our way. Did I mention one of them is a Male Grand Basilisk? So... Mon Capitan, do we fight or move elsewhere to continue the interrogation?"

"Well then, since you seem to be either of importance here, or very brave, why does a hot spring have enough hardware to destroy a small fleet?" She leaned back maintaining her cover, she was at a disadvantage but wouldn't let that show beneath her demeanor. "I have found some oddities since I arrived, the people here do not seem to be advanced perhaps other than the ability to copy what they've found, a small interest," she sighed, "I'd rather find some sort of angelic male about the size of one of your people, I do not suppose you would have such knowledge?"

"Because it always has. You do underestimate the defenses of this place, They could scour the entire world clean, if it was called for. The ones who built it, well they were a paranoid lot. If they couldn't have the world no one could."

The old man appeared some distance away, yet his voice carried to her perfectly, He was bald, and wore glasses, and possessed a long white beard. He looked perfectly harmless, but looks were deceiving.

The one with bladed wings passed through some time ago, and came back recently. Before he came within the grounds, another Aradian came and took him away. I can only assume he was brought to his home dimension, as I can no longer sense him here."

"As for the people, well, things have changed alot in the last century."

-----------------------

In the woods where Lily and the others were, the Land dragons erupted onto the scene, and The first of them died from a gunshot from Ryoma. Another followed quickly behind that, Even as Kai drew his sword.

(OOC there's 8 left, plus the basilisk. I'm allowing you all to simply kill them as you would, on a first come first serve basis.)

Rebecca springs to. She runs at right angles, avoiding the basilisk's direct gaze, looking for a flank to strike from. Meanwhile she gets and idea and fires off a couple rounds at another Dragon. Drawing the attention of a land dragon seemed stupid, but it's drawn ire causes it to charge, a typical instinct for such a beast. "Hold out baits to entice the enemy." The basilisk turns seeing it's compatriot charging and responds reflexively with it's gaze. The dragon itself was immune, but the drawn attention was all Rebecca needed to start running up the back of the basilisk and in one jumping motion, she stabs her energy blade into the neck of the basilisk where the head meets the spine. Almost as if the lights were turned off, the Basilisk falls dead to the ground, and Rebecca slides on her feet down the snout of the felled beast. "Feign disorder, and crush him..."

She switches off her blade as the angered land dragon she shot earlier begins to charge. "If his forces are united, separate them."

Indeed the Dragons have begun to lose cohesion since their leader was dropped. As the Land dragon prepares to simply crush Rebecca, she rolls to the side of it's inner ankle, and slashes where it's Achilles's tendon should be. It stumbles as it's front right leg buckles.

"Let your rapidity be that of the wind..."

Note
Hell yes she's reciting the Art of War in combat.

"The general is slain, and his loose cannon of a captain is wounded... Time to do what Sun Tsu did best... strike and fade."

Rebecca falls back to a support position, ready to bring aid, keeping an eye on the supplies she had to drop to the ground at her feet before the combat started. She decides it would be best to run over to the bags and backpack and re-connect them to her suit once she gets to a safe spot in case a medic would in fact be needed.

A shot rang out from Francis' position in the upper reaches of the tree, ripping through the eye of the dragon Rebecca had injured and putting it down with a great cry as well. "Exploit the line of least resistance." Its packmate bellowed with animal wrath and charged the tree, smashing it down, but Francis had teleported onto its back, and charged down the body, raising Nagareboshi and centering his focus on another dragon's eyesocket.

The retort sounded, another dragon brought down after lumbering steps. "Choose the course of least expectation."

OOC
Quotes are from B.H. Liddell Hart's Strategy (2nd Edition). I own that book, tis a good read.

"Forgive me, my terminology may be incompatible, but I digress, I would be quite remiss if I didn't desire to learn what this change was." She pecked away at her wrist com and kept an eye one him, "I have to say though, if he's no longer in this reality, I have no tie here and I may leave."

Archived