Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Chapter 4.2 Final rehearsal

Justin OOC

Originally Posted By: Justin OOC
"Well, I've convinced the Matrons to send another three students by year's end. Aside from that they've done well. There are no crises in our realm."

A complicated expression crossed the young dryad's face. That bit of news was a game changer, the implicated promise at the time of her assignment that she would have until the end of the year to herself here and then evauluation once she returned for the summer break before any of her sisters followed. It would be nice to have them around, obviously, and she was glad, but... If she wanted to be granted authority over the newcomers when the time came, she'd have to truly impress with her accomplishments.

"That is good to hear," she answered, turning the promise of a smile into a full one and giving the departing figure of Darrik a fleeting glance as she struck upon an idea with which to excel in one of her assignments, "I never realized how insular the Hina Valley was until I asked for news of home out here and realized that 'It still exists' is the most most monsters know of us."

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serena nodded to Darrik. "Don't get your costume dirty, or I will do some very painful things to you. And that's before Haruka gets her hands on you."

---------------

Kana led Jiren through the school back to the regular assembly room for the club. "I'm strong because I'm a Storm Dragon Jiren. One of only three still alive. Dragons are renowned for their physical might, especially in our true forms." It was known that there was seldom such a thing as a small dragon, even Kyra, young as she was was still far larger than most of the others in her true form.

She smiled. "Serena's suprise is simply that she baked cookies and a managed to get some very special drinks for all of us. It's nothing too major, I just can't carry it all without transforming."

-------------

Asano laughed. "Well you do all keep to yourselves and cause no trouble to others. Neither I nor my Father ever had reason to complain as lieges."

He nodded to her. "When your sisters arrive I expect you to take charge of them, and show them around. Be sure to introduce them to your friends as well, it will be good for them to meet Yokai from all walks of life."

Asano looked to Aria. "Why what? Why am I here?"

He looked at her smiling, indulging her as one would a favored child, though there were no ties between her and Asano.

He looked at her and nodded. "I always come to the Festival play, and suffice it to say I was invited this year by someone who can't be ignored. That you play the lead in the play, and masterfully so, it makes me very happy to be here, my other business aside."

"This is the rehearsal though, not the performance," Aria said. "And who is there that you can't ignore who isn't standing here among us? The play's patron, I suppose?"

She paused, and said, "Someone from the human world."

Darrik held up his hands in mock horror at those words. "You have my word that these clothes will be spotless when I am finished." Mindful of these words, and the likely honest consequences from ignoring them, he left and began to do his work of bringing props and other pieces of stage material back to their closet.

"I had hoped that last rumor to be false Aria. It constitutes a severe breech of faith, and more."

His expression turned dour. "Tomorrow night thousands will be here, and I will simply be one among them. Tonight, an audience of eight, most of them lords was all I had to contend with."

"As to who I cannot ignore, suffice it to say you've met this individual before. It won't be a concern to you, and won't interfere with the play at all. I simply ask you continue as you have, You have single-handedly raised your people's stock in my eyes, and there are others who sing praises of you."

"She... baked... cookies?" Jiren asked incredulously, eyes widening as he stopped dead in his tracks, a worried expression on his face.

"Yeah, and made us some drinks too," Kana stopped to look back as Jiren fell behind. "Say, are you feeling okay? You're looking a little pale," Kana replied, giving him a concerned look.

"Oh, I'm fine! Don't worry about me," the taller Yokai replied, smiling widely and giving Kana the thumbs up sign as he resumed walking. "It's just... Well... This gesture of Serena's is really surprising." he blurted out. "I mean, it's mighty sweet of her to to go through all this trouble for everyone, don't you think?"

He sighed, turning his head away from Kana so she wouldn't be able to see his grimace.

Jiren had always looked up to his Serena. She had always been smart, gifted, and talented; And as greater demons came she was probably the nicest sister Jiren could have hoped for. Sadly, however, baking just wasn't one of her strong suits. She was pretty good at mixing drinks, and Jiren didn't doubt that whatever juice or drink she had made for the group would turn out fine, but to put things bluntly even a Demonwood Fire Ant would find her cookies just a little too sweet for its liking.

"Anyway, we'd better hurry. We wouldn't want to keep the others waiting," he said, checking his watch as the two yokai reached the assembly room and flipped on the lights.

Kana smiled. "Trust me I've had her cooking before, I know what we're in for, but the others haven't. This will be funny."

In that instant Jiren could see that Kana had a mischievous streak the same as Serena. Enough that she was even willing to suffer through Serena's cooking.

Kyra was happy, her father was present and her friends were here too, though she had to control her urge to growl a bit when someone got a little close to the pile of gold that she'd been sitting on for the play. She was close to claiming it as her own, and adding it to her horde, but she was also thinking such of the vampire's slave or servant or whatever she was.

She didn't see a reason to fight for the girl yet though, she wanted to watch them longer first, the girl might be more attached to the Vampire then she thought. Which would create a problem if she fought them for her, and turned out the girl didn't want to be hers.

These thoughts flashed though her mind even as she released her father's neck, and considered a moment. She knew her father considered his children part of his horde, so she should avoid mentioning situations that made her seem like she was in danger here, though she thought he was more self-controlled then her by far. "So, how long are you going to be here, Daddy?"

Adran looked down to her and smiled. "I have some business to attend, but I should be around at least through the festival, though things back home may require me to leave again." He was the tallest of the Lords, and likely the most destructive of them.

"So, you have met Kana I see. I'd hoped you would get along with her."

Jiren smiled back, gazing into Kana's eyes for a moment. He couldn't put a finger on it, but there was something familiar and endearing about the mischievous glint he saw in them. More than anything else it reminded him of his old friend Lisa, and of the promise he made to her back when they parted ways...

Sighing, Jiren shook his head and blinked. It probably wasn't the right time or place to be reminiscing.

"Yeah, now that you put it that way, it does sound like it could be pretty funny," he laughed. "I just hope the Lords aren't still there when we get back. Otherwise we'd better hope they have a pretty good sense of humor... " he paused to look at all the enamel-coated boxes that were stacked high up on one of the tables, right beside two large coolers. "Or perhaps a very bad sense of taste."

Walking over to the table, Jiren took a moment to verify the contents of the boxes and the coolers. The two students then paused for a moment to divide the load between themselves before preparing to haul it back to the theater.

Loads in hand, the two began the trek back. Kana smiled. "I know that Lord Adranthean certainly does, as does Lord Forbesi. The others I don't know. I do know that your father was sitting quite comfortably beside the Lord of all Angels though. That in and of itself is quite notable."

Jiren's silence conveyed his shock far better than any of his words could have. He frowned, squinting at Kana for a moment before speaking again.

"Wait a minute. You... know?" he asked, voice and expression somber and serious all of a sudden. "How did you..." His voice trailed of before he could finish the question. "Did Serena tell you?"

It was to be expected that the other students would eventually stumble across the fact that he was the son of Lord Forbesi. But to have it mentioned so casually in a simple conversation surprised him, perhaps a little more than it should.

He breathed heaviily, looking up ahead as they continued walking. The theater was looming up before them, less than 40 meters away.

"First, You look like both Serena, and Forbesi. Second, you smell like both of them. We dragons are powerful predators, with a sense of smell beyond most any other yokai. I knew the moment I smelled you at a game that you and Serena were closely related."

She smiled. "I of course haven't told anyone. She obviously knows, but that's to be expected."

"I have no reason to tell others."

Krag looked down at the others around him, and the lords in front of him, glad that his darker complexion didn't show blushes as much. His surprise at the words spoken by his Lord was writ large upon his face, however. He tried to fade into the background, as much as possible for a 7'+ tall wall of muscle. Watching the chaos around him, he was reminded of his time back among his tribe, and a wistful look crossed his face.

Haruka came up behind Krag, she was about the only one close to his height. "Leaving so soon Krag?"

"I bet you didn't realize it when you signed up, just how important the membership in the club was, did you?"

She smiles. "Did you ever expect to speak to you Liege, or even more, have him compliment you?"

With exuberant aplomb, Delilah jumped off the stage with a sensual grace and a heavy bounce, and greeted her mother with a hug.

"I only spoke to Forbesi, Dear," Lilith admitted, with a wry grin. "The rest came to see their own children and subjects, and for another reason, I'm sure."

"Hmmm...." Delilah pondered with a pout too sexy to be adorable, then began circulating among the Monster Lords with a brash ease. She might not have been the center of attention in the play, but she could earn plenty of attention now, since in some ways, she stood outside the purviews of the other Lords, due to who her mother was, and didn't have to offer obeisance to them.

She could taste the feelings of the others - Kyra almost simpering at her father, Darrik's suspicions, thinking he knew something the others didn't, Kyohei's surprise and concern, Yuuki being overwhelmed by her lord's regard, Aria's clinical curiosity, Skye's shock and fear, Jiren's apprehension, even Kana's mischievousness, though that didn't seem to having anything to do with the Lords, but something else instead. Delilah was simply intrigued... Okay, and a little nonplussed.

She still wasn't thrilled with her first meeting with an angel, so she gave Aoi a wide berth, though she tried to make it look accidental. Instead, she debated between approaching the Panther King or the Demon Lord, Forbesi. One was Kurosoroshiimaru's father (hopefully with a shorter name) and had all his son's looks and far more of his bearing, while the Demon bore a surprising nobility and was quite handsome indeed. The succubus caught Skye sneaking peeks at Kuro's father so decided on the Demon Lord first.

Delilah sashayed towards Forbesi, an amused curve to his lips at the sight of Lilith's daughter. She might have been young, but she had a woman's charms and seemed to move laterally almost as much as she did forward, her hips rolling like the swells of tempestuous seas, her breasts moving in yet other - eye-catching - directions.

"Lord Forbesi, I must admit, I didn't think I would first meet you at a play during the Festival," Delilah said with a bright grin, purple eyes gleaming. "After all, as Lord of the Demons... and Demonesses, I would think you'd enjoy meeting all the succubi."

"I see," Jiren said to Kana, taking on a cheerful tone once more. It was a pleasant surprise that she hadn't outed his secret to others. Though he was still uneasy from being found out so easily, at least it was by someone who seemed nice enough to keep his secret. "Now you're going to have to help me stay away from other dragons!" he laughed.

"Anyway, thanks for keeping quiet about it. It means a lot."

Jiren paused as they reached the Theater's back entrance, momentarily setting down the boxes he was carrying to open the door. Holding it open he waved the petite Storm Dragon in before picking up his boxes and following her into the theater.

She nodded. "There's only three dragons here Jiren and we're all present and accounted for." Once back in the theater they set them down...

----------------

Forbesi regarded Delilah with a careful eye. She was Lilith's awakened daughter after all. "I take great interest in all my subjects, especially those descended from Lilith."

He smiled. "You played your part well. One would think that seeing an angel and a succubus fight would come naturally. I found your battle with Inigo most amusing."

I sense though there's some animosity there though. You didn't try to steal her boyfriend did you?" It was comical to hear his tone, because it was clear he was simply picking at her. "Or did she have an interest in yours, before you squared him away?"

Aoi finally made her way to Kyohei, seeing how he'd remained unadressed. "Way to not call attention to yourself."

"And this is being inconspicuous?"

She laughed. "Well don't worry. Everything will be explained in time."

--------------

Serena upon seeing Jiren and Kana return, smiled. "Okay everyone. To celebrate our last rehearsal, and all the hard work you've put into this, I baked some cookies, and whipped up some of my famous tea for all of you. Please help yourselves."

Click to reveal..
The tea is liquid, and among the sweetest any of you have ever tasted. like sweet enough to crystalize blood. The cookies are about the same. to quote Bender, "I used ten percent less than the lethal dosage." only this time with sugar as opposed to salt.

Darrik had taken an extra minute to change out of his costume after doing some cleaning up, and returned to see the cookies and the tea brought out. Quietly he walked up to the foodstuffs and poured a little tea to sip first to gauge the temperature. The sugar was concentrated enough even in that fraction to stun him. Surprised, he looked at the cookies in turn. Sugar cookies.

Of course, he was going to be expected to partake... then a solution revealed itself. He picked up a handful of cookies and walked over to Serena with the cookies and cup. "There's something I forgot to do. Do you think there'll be any problems if I leave right now?"

Yuuki had politely excused herself from Lord Asano-Sama to sample the cookies and tea, partially as a chance a chance to think about what she had heard and seen, partially as a means to check on her charge in passing, and lastly to see what the cookies *were* like. Food was the language of diplomacy after all, and anything she might be able to learn...

The first small bite of cookie had been... bracing, bringing the composed young dryad to a halt just as her orbit brought her close enough to see the angel talking to Kyohei-San. The second, done mechanically as her brain scrambled to decide what to do behind her social mask, brought on a coughing fit as the surge of sweetness overwhelmed her and she tried to purge herself of the horrid flavor. The paper plate with it's other cookie fell; the cup of tea splashed on the stage. And Yuuki was left to blink away the memory as she desperately swabbed out the inside of her mouth with a reluctant tongue for half-chewed, baked sugar that hadn't ended up on her gloved hands.

Aoi looked at Yuuki. "Careful dear, don't eat too fast." She nodded, and Kyohei went to get paper towels to clean up the spill. He did so wordlessly and Forbesi smiled. "I see some things never change."

Adran sighed. "Those things are WMD's... If Aoi eats one..."

Aoi had gone and gotten two cookies and two things of tea. She handed one of each to Kyohei and smiled. He took it and bit into the cookie, the sweetness virtually mind numbing. Still he ate the entire thing. Taking the tea, he sipped it, the blood-crystallizing sweetness disturbingly high. Still he drained the cup and nodded, feeling the sudden urge to run a marathon, followed by his stomach cutting a flip.

His face betrayed none of it. "That.. was.. pretty good.."

Forbesi chuckled. "You poor boy..."

Adran looked at Kyra. "Too bad he's not a Dragon, that would be a good match for you."

-----

Kana looked to Jiren. "Your friend just did something really stupid."

--------

Aoi on the other hand managed to eat the cookie, and hide her displeasure. Haruna liked sweet food, She did not. "That was a decidedly unique experience." She looked at Kyohei, her blue eyes darkening. She smiled and said "I'm not thirsty."

He nodded, and drank a second cup of tea. He smiled and nodded. "Thanks, Lady Aoi."

He looked to Serena. "Thank you for the refreshments."

Kana looked to Jiren. "Wow, knowing her, this poor boy is gonna die now."

Darrik sighed and shook his head as he walked over to Yuuki. He had caught her look of surprise, and he doubted it wasn't just the cookie. Well, he had another feeling he'd be talking to her as well. "Oh, dear." He picked up her spilled food and dumped it away. "Well," he told Yuuki calmly, "as long as I'm here, I should ask if you can help me with something back in my room?"

Cheeks aflame as she mustered what was left of her dignity and adding angelbane seeds to her list of things she'd request from the Matriarchs, Yuuki gave Darrik the merest moment of deep sideline consideration before nodding, green eyes betraying her suspions at his possible role in this shadow game for only a heartbeat or two.

"Give me the chance to apolgize to Haruka-Sempai for any trouble my... lack of fortitude may cause her and to change into my own clothing, and I could imagine nothing I would be more glad to do, Darrik-San," the young dryad responded with a bow of her ribbon-crowned head.

Jiren chuckled at Kana's comments. "Who knows? Maybe he really does like her tea and cookies," he said in a low voice so Serena wouldn't hear. From the tone of his voice however, it was clear that he himself found that possibility quite unlikely.

He leaned back against the wall, nibbling gingerly on one the cookies. At least he and Kana had come prepared, and knew what to expect. The others hadn't.

Originally Posted By: Justin OOC
Haruka came up behind Krag, she was about the only one close to his height. "Leaving so soon Krag?"

"I bet you didn't realize it when you signed up, just how important the membership in the club was, did you?"

She smiles. "Did you ever expect to speak to you Liege, or even more, have him compliment you?"

"I'm not leaving, just staying in the background. I never expected this level of involvement with the Lords. But I did speak with my Liege before when I was picked to represent my tribe at this school. The compliments were nice, however." Krag sighed happily, and watched the interactions of the others.

"Daddy.." Her tone was slightly protesting as her father made his remark about Kyohei, somewhat like a girl might protest her father's interest in a boyfriend, but not quite. "Kyohei is Delilah's boy, and both of them are my friends." The possessive emphases on 'my friends' was a bit stronger then a human might use.

"Besides, if you wanted me to meet a boy dragon, why didn't you send one here?" She was curious as she asked her question, not that the answer would would really matter until she went into her first heat, something she didn't think about much.

Talking with Forbesi, Delilah gave a huff of annoyance - her costume bodice squeaking under the strain - and rolled her eyes. "I'm sure I don't know what the problem is. I said I wouldn't go after Kurosoroshiimaru - that's a mouthful, eh? And I'm sure he is too - and besides, Skye is a cheerleader now, so according to the Code, I can't go after him now, anyway. But I don't think she believed me and didn't want me to play Wendy, even though I would have been perfect for the part, just because I would have to kiss Kuro..." The succubus caught the Daiyokai's annoyed look from across the room and sighed. "Yes, yes... soroshiimaru."

Delilah picked up a pair of cookies and a cup of tea that Serena was passing around, cocking her head as she sensed the wry amusement from Forbesi. "And then, I offered her suggestions on how to make her part better, and she gave me such a look as if I was sabotaging her. I was just trying to help!" She gave a delectable shiver. "And she's much better than me with a sword and was mean about it. She poked me hard with the prop swords." Her brows lowered over her deep purple eyes. "And she better not have any desires on Kyohei! She's a cheerleader - she can't set her sights on him or at the very least, she'll be off the team!"

She eyes turned on Yuuki with a suspicious pout, only to catch her leaving. "I'm not sure about Kyohei's room-mate though. There's something about her... I don't mind that he has a girl room-mate, I just think it should be me."

Delilah bit into a cookie, her eyes widening scarily wide at the explosion of sweetness in her mouth. She was an awakened succubus, she gained all her sustenance from emotions now, so she only ate when she wanted, mostly sweets and candy... and this was sweet times a thousand! Delilah winced, gasping at the cloying taste, then took a deep sip of tea trying to wash the taste out, only to be engulfed by syrupy sweetness flowing down her throat like an overly viscous waterfall.

Gagging, tears trailing down from her eyes, she glared at the half cookie in her hand and the remains of her tea. Slowly she looked up at the Demon Lord with a nonplussed pout on her luscious lips, a reproving look in her eyes as she tasted his amusement swell, yet the taste didn't overpower the overwhelming sweetness.

"As sweet and gorgeous as your daughter is, Forbesi, for the sake of demons and yokai everywhere, get Serena some baking lessons," Delilah demanded.

He'd frozen when the Lords had been revealed, though with the confidence of his birth-station, he hadn't been as awed as some of his fellows. But the shock of seeing his father, the Lord of Beasts, standing up and applauding this... human entertainment was enough to cause even the renowned composure of Kurosoroshiimaru to fail. He'd bowed on automatic pilot, dipping to the exactly correct posture, holding it for the courteously required time, and then straightening, all while staring at the gleaming green eyes of his father, the greatest of the Beast Yokai and the one being in the cosmos that Kuromaru looked up to.

He stepped to Skye's side as the Yokai Lords ascended to the stage, keeping the Celestial girl close to him and then reaching out to take her hand in an unmistakeable gesture of protection/possession as his father approached. He had expected a scathing glance, or mild reproach perhaps (for he was always his father's favorite), but not the calm announcement of a discussion.

"All four of us, Lord Father?" he answered with a bow of his head, though the gleam of his own eyes, so similar to his father's was alight with feline curiousity behind the mask of manners. He paused for a moment to glance over at Delilah as she started to say his name, causing the succubus to sulkily pronounce the full word, and then back at his father once more. "Who will be joining you, Skye and I?"

"Lady Aoi will join us, since this choice of yours could potentially start a minor war between our peoples."

He looked at Skye. "I won't reject your choice out of hand, but you're going to have to show me..." He took in his son as well with his steely gaze. "You both will have to show me your worthiness, or I will take the actions I deem fit."

The threat was implied, but no less obvious. Aoi spared them a glance, and nodded.

Shizuka stood nearby, having moved while the students spoke to their parents. the Panther King didn't even acknowledge her. It seemed that the two of them had already spoke on this matter, and she disagreed with how he was going to handle it. That had cost her.

Originally Posted By: Forbesi
"Are you enjoying your time here, Delilah?"

Delilah pursed her luscious lips in a musing moue as she pondered the question. After a moment, she nodded, lips curling into a fond grin as she glanced at Kyohei, her purple eyes aglow.

"Yeah, yes, I'm enjoying myself," the succubus said, turning back to face Forbesi. "I'll admit, at first, I didn't want to come - I was having fun in the Human World - I was planning on being a music or movie star or model or something before I was old to get into Mom's business. And when I got here, Jezebelle was a pain and there aren't as many nice people here, and I think there might be even more perverts here than in the Human World - and that, I would have never believed... But, I also did get to meet Kyohei, my Mate of Fate."

Delilah glanced down at her hands, which were balled into fists. "There's still issues to work out, his and mine, stuff I've found out about myself." She looked back up Forbesi, a proud and determined light in her eyes. "But yes, I'm glad I came here, even if it was at Mom's insistence." She glanced over at Aoi, eyes narrowing as her ravishing, yet cute, face screwed up with dark petulance. "I've coulda gone without meeting any angels though."

"They aren't so bad. Just mortal enemies of Demons like you and I."

He smiled. "Still you call Skye a friend, or at least you treat her as one. As far as what you wish to do with your life, that's your decision. Your Mother is quite experienced in human relations, and in her sending you here I agree it was a good idea. It was at her urging that I sent all of my children here as well, indeed that all of us have done so. She ferverntly believes that coexistence is the right path."

He nodded. "You're young to have chosen your Mate, but again, so long as you are happy with your choice, then i am happy for you."

“And there it is,” Skye sighed.

“Pardon?” the Panther King asked. He didn’t seem so much nonplused as amused at her exasperation.

Skye thought about toning it back for like two seconds. Then she decided that she was going to be who she was and deal with Kuromaro’s father hating her. “There’s the threat. I know that demons have been using threats like giant carrots and sticks forever, but let’s give it a rest. If you know who I am, then you should know this too: I really don’t appreciate having to ‘prove’ anything just to date the guy I like. I personally think most of the demon rules and social things are crap. I’m dancing this dance because it’s Kuromoroshiimaro way and people.”

“Your people have their way, too,” Shizuka reminded her softly.

“Yeah, but my people left me to be raised by a people who value freedom of will and the right to make choices,” Skye pointed out, her tone softening because she was addressing someone she was starting to like. “One of those choices is in partners and friends. That’s what I learned, growing up. You pick good people to stand with and then you stand with them.”

The Panther King looked at Skye, and then to Shizuka. Kuromaru recognized the change in his father's eyes, one that would soon affect the rest of him...

Then a hand came to rest upon his shoulder. It was the headmaster. "Not here. If you have to go into a rage you will do it somewhere else, or..."

Adran finished. "Or else you'll shame yourself further."

The Panther lord looked at the Elder Dragon, and nodded. "I won't forget this."

He looked to Kuro and Skye. "We will discuss things."

With that he stormed off, out of the theater.

Only then did Aoi speak. "Well, Skye, thank you for nearly starting that war again single handedly. Know this, My family has personally worked too hard to see this all be destroyed by a pair of children. Take it how you will."

Kyohei started to move to Intercede,, but Aoi shook her head. "At least it can be said that this school isn't boring. I will watch your show tomorrow night."

She looked to Adran, Forbesi, and Asano. "I trust we can finish our business then as well."

With that she vanished, her celestial teleportation a good choice.

Adran and Forbesi looked to each other, then to Skye and Kuromaru. "Good luck, you'll need it."

Asano shook his head, as the youngest lord, he stayed out of it entirely.

Archived