Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Chapter 4.1 Just say your lines

Justin OOC

The first week of rehearsals had been alot of work. Getting on stage wasn't hard, though Serena knew getting up in front of an empty theater was one thing, getting up in front of three thousand sets of eyes was quite another.

Today they'd be taking measurements so the costuming could begin, and she figured, some would resent this, others would relish it. Nobody had come to blows, and today they'd work on the choreography of the fights. Derek was already working on the set design, and as usual, he was making things complicated.

The Vampires suprisingly said little about their relatively small parts, probably because they got to be royalty while the two scions of Lords were not. You couldn't buy the animosity that burned beneath the surface with Skye, especially it seemed towards Delilah. She suspected it was far more than how friendly Delilah was with well, everyone.

Kyohei and Kyra did well, and in truth, she was thinking about switching them, or at least having them learn both parts. Aria performed well having already memorized her lines, much as She thought the young Yokai would.

Darrik and Krag worked well as a team, almost exactly how the duo had been played in the movie. Kurosoroshiimaru took his part in stride, reading the lines he had well enough. Yuuki did the same, and Serena always laughed a little. The young Dryad obviously had different ideas about how things were in the human world.

Towards the end of the week, she noticed things seemed to be off, as everyone seemed abit preoccupied.

"Okay people take a break and a knee. You guys aren't even trying to perform today, so that leads me to ask "Why?" "What's going on that all of you need to resolve so you can get back to the inspiring performance I've come to expect from all of you?"

Rica spoke quietly, but as usual her voice carried easily across the space. "Perhaps a small break is in order? At least from reading lines. A chance to relax and still interact as a group might improve everyone's mood and performance."

As her part in the show was only once short scene, she had also been instructed to assist Derek with the set design. Currently her school uniform was covered by a painting smock and several stray streaks of different colors had managed to sneak onto her cheek and arms. She'd done fine enough with her small acting part, but her tirelessness and ability to suffer a "true artist's" vision for the play made her an invaluable assistant to Derek and his grand designs.

She bowed to Serena, low to show she meant no offence with her words, "Or perhaps having each play a different part for a scene or two, just to relieve some of the pressure and...monotony...of repeating the same lines."

"Ah my gawd," Skye drawled, her eyes rolling. "That totally sounded like you were going to start a group therapy session, and that is about the single last thing I need, personally." She was tired and annoyed by the delay, as well as assumption that an off day was more than just an off day. Of course, Delilah was still in a snit about not getting the lead part, and Skye was still having a hard time dealing with the thought that Aria would be smooching on her boyfriend, but that had nothing to do with everyone being off.

It was hard to keep her exuberant demeanor when she wasn't even in the play for the first half and knowing she should be lead, but Delilah faked it, for the good of the club. Having the extra time to consort with Kyohei helped, since his part wasn't very big either.

Facing Skye with a prop sword in hand didn't help, since she didn't have the slightest clue how to use one, even if she was pretty quick. Skye on the hand knew how to use a sword very well and had poked her in the boobs more than once, and some of those pokes stung! It wasn't her fault she had thrice the curves.

Delilah sighed, ostentatiously rubbing one of her prominent breasts as she gave Skye a sullen glower. If she hadn't had Kyohei's desire to sustain her - among the other passions she could taste throughout the school - she'd be sporting more than one bruise.

It was entirely unfair that Skye was angry at her when she was the one losing the lead part for some stupid, silly reason. And trying to help Aria perform the part with some sexy flair wasn't nearly as satisfying as if she'd been doing it.

"I dunno what's wrong, Serena. I can taste it, I just can't tell you what it is," Delilah offered not-quite-helpfully, giving Serena an ingratiating grin. "Frustration maybe. Most here aren't real performers after all. Or... it could have something to do with our last investigation surrounding the missing underwear. That didn't end so well..."

She trailed off, waving that thought away as she flashed Tanriçasi a brilliant smile. "That's an excellent idea!" Delilah squealed. "We just need to change things up a bit. How 'bout I try... the part of Wendy, just to give Aria a rest and a few pointers?"

For her part, Aria had at first thought herself ill-suited to a leading role. Partly because of the time demands, but just as much because being front and center wasn't the jorogumo way. They were the skulkers. The creepers. The weavers in the shadows. To be defeated by jorogumo was often never to see the face of your foe, or at times even the identity. They were not heroes, nor villains, nor anything else that blustered about in plain view.

And yet...she found the role growing on her. There was something delicious about being incautious. About knowing the dangers and ignoring them because you knew you could handle them. Even inviting them...come and test me and we will see who is stronger!

It wasn't something she'd ever be in reality...but that just made the role more important to her, and it was with some surprise, but no lessening of resolve, that Aria found herself desiring to protect her possession of the role against anyone wishing to take it from her.

"I think everyone can see your pointers from where they are," Aria said irritably, nodding at Delilah's ill-covered torso, where her constantly aroused nipples made Aria's shift in meaning abundantly clear. "And I neither need nor want a rest."

Yuuki stiffled a small chuckle, hiding a smile behind one hand. She had heard that some demons could be... extreme in their presentation, but Delilah took it rather far indeed.

"I am fine to continue whenever others are ready," she added warmly once she recovered, enjoying her part in the play as well, rather reminded of tales told about the Sakura Clans during the Time of Consolidation. The young dryad was confident her performance wasn't too badly affected by the fact her roomate was someone important enough for her Matriarchs to order she protect him *and* was under some kind of unfolding memory gambit.

She hoped so anyway.

Serena nodded. "Alright. Find someone who would like to switch parts with you if you like, and we can read each other's parts today."

She seemed disinterested in that particular idea, though at the same time she wondered who would switch parts with whom willingly.

"Sorry, but I'd actually rather not. Aria-San and I have to go over our final scene some more before I'd feel comfortable meddling with things. I'd sooner go and catch up on my studies given that choice," apoligized the young dryad to taller girl. This... suggestion was a political move, plain and simple, and she didn't want any particular part in it. Her expression was politely apoligetic

"Besides, you're far more the 'swashbuckler' type than I."

Kyra looked between the various actors for a moment, then back at her own lines and then smiled slightly. "I could wish to do this part as a dragon, resting on her horde, rather then in the bed, but otherwise I find that I am growing to like the part a bit. It's a bit too quiet in comparison to the rest of you, though, Skye and Aria's parts look like a lot of fun."

Serena smiled. "You know, it's not like it's a secret who you are, or what you are Kyra. I don't see why you couldn't do it that way, and we simply have Kyohei's part edited somewhat.

She looked at him, and he nodded. "Whatever makes the show better. You are the expert here."

Smiling Serena took his script from him and in an instant his part was renamed "Captured traveller" and Kyra's renamed "Dragon" on all the various scripts.

He leafed through the lines looking at the changes. "It looks good to me."

Skye sighed at Yuuki's comments. "Sorry to bother you but I was just trying to do what the Club Director said," Skye said. Her voice was only a tiny bit snappish as she turned away, thinking, "Rather be studying"? Lame. Or fake. Or both.

Flopping down in a chair, she scowled at everyone - everyone but Kuromaru, of course. She couldn't even have said why she was in a foul mood now. I'm going to claim over-exposure to Delilah.

Aria stretched. She actually pulled off Wendy's look rather well. All black, with the black mask that covered the upper half of her face...it was practically what she'd been born to wear. It showed off her sleek, slim body's shape without calling attention to the relative modesty of her feminine 'charms' in comparison with Delilah. She looked a little like a ninja, in fact...and could move like one as well, as she demonstrated during the swordfight scene.

"If we're breaking into small groups, I wouldn't mind practicing the duel," Aria said. "We still need work making it look natural."

Delilah looked pointedly down at her 'points' then gave Aria a nonplussed pout. "You don't have to be mean about it, you know. I was trying to help."

With a sharp sniff, Delilah jumped off the stage and plopped down in one of the first row seats and lazily waved script in the air. "If anyone wants to be Countess Rugen for today, I'm willing to trade," the succulent succubus said disinterestedly, not particularly wanting to read for an even smaller part.

She scowled at where Aria and Skye were preparing to practice their dual. She didn't know why they were to irritated and indignant with, she thought they were friends. It was hard being nice and helpful all the time when everyone thought she had some ulterior motive. Kyohei helped to make the time easier though.

Pulling her knees up to her chest and resting her chin in her hands, Delilah kept her eyes riveted on Aria and Skye, hoping to pick up a tip or two on sword-fighting. Not that she wanted to hurt Skye or anything, but it would be nice to be able to return a shot or two.

Krag looked down at the script, then up at the two duelists, then down at the script again. He then turned to Darrik, "Want to switch? I'm curious as to how well I can play your character. And, I think I may be able to do it credit. But i think you'll probably do it better." After speaking, Krag looked around the theater and sighed when he spotted Delilah. His mind began to wander, and his eyes lost focus, then he shook his head as if to clear it. He continued watching the duelists while waiting for a response.

• 2 weeks later...

Kuromaru was quiet.

Of course, he was usually quiet, but it was the silence of one who rarely deigned to speak, and then only to either say his lines, ask a curtly pertinent question, or converse in quiet murmurs with Skye, and anyone who appeared to be listening in on those tended to get a look that started at 'frosty' and ranged all the way down to 'heat-death, destroyer of stars'.

But now they'd had a few run-throughs of the play, and he'd watched, and listened, and learned. It all seemed incredibly frivolous and silly - he wasn't enjoying it much, if at all. And so now his silence was of the brooding, pregnant kind, the vivid green eyes of his human mask glowering at the pages of the script as he turned them, one by one. Though his impossibly handsome features were their usual impassive set, his gaze spoke volumes, growing progressively darker.

Finally he half-dropped, half-threw the script to the floor at his feet and stood in a flicker of movement - one moment lounging, the next on his feet with no in-between - and glared around at the others coldly.

"I dislike this activity so much that I scarce know where to begin with the causes of that dislike. For one: the name of the character I am supposed to present. Buttercup? Buttercup?. Do I looked like a horse to you? Or perhaps a dairy cow?" his eyes narrowed as he stared at Serena. "I think not."

"And the role! I understand that it is originally female, and we are swapping the genders for the purposes of the production, but she is so... helpless." He snorted. "Did she go in search of her Wesley? Did she seek blood vengeance on the Pirate Robins for slaying her love?"

"Roberts." Rica offered. He glanced at her, blinking. "The Dread Pirate Roberts."

"Roberts, yes, fine. But the question remains valid. If someone slew my love, I would hunt them down and kill them, and all with them."

"But Buttercup was a human woman." Serena argued quietly. Kuromaru in a bad mood was not easy, or wise for that matter, to raise one's voice to.

"Pfff!" The sound was almost like a cat's hiss as Kuromaru folded his arms. "She may be, and may be typical of them. I am not, and nor shall I consent to be called 'Buttercup'." His hauteur flowed outwards like a cold wave. "It is beneath me. And furthermore, this being kidnapped willy-nilly, then forced into marriage and, finally, taking her own life rather than slitting the throat of the Prince Humptydick... It's just foolish."

"Humans can be quite foolish, can't they?" Serena's eyes speared first Skye, then Kyohei, and she sighed. "I'm not fond of the name myself, but there are few things that would let us keep to the spirit of this. Your character was powerless, and because it's obviously something you are not, I thought it best to cast you there, because pretending to be helpless would be a real challenge for you."

"If you are not up to it that's abit disappointing."

His face remained impassive, the faint flicker of one eyelid the only betraying tic that her words had hit home. Then the tic stilled, and he relaxed fractionally.

"I find little challenge in pretending to be helpless. Instead there is only unease and a sense of distinct embarrassment." he fixed Serena with a cold stare. "Understand, if you are able, that I am not some whelped-yesterday demon to rise to such a puerile stab at my ego." He turned and bowed his head a little to Aria.

"There is no offense intended towards my counterpart. Indeed, my distaste is not due to those sharing this endeavour at all. But I believe I would be better suited to some other role, perhaps one that does not involve pretending to be a helpless, faithless fool of a mortal. Or a non-acting role altogether. I have promised my aid, and I shall not go back on that."

Skye watched the exchange quietly from across the room where she'd gone to practice the duel. She'd wondered when he'd snap and tell Ser-

A tap of the practice sword on her shoulder turned her attention back to Aria. The spider-demon was watching with a knowing smile, and Skye flushed that she'd been caught ogling her boyfriend. "Alright," she said, getting back to the lesson, "when you lunge, you don't want to come all the way forward. I know it sounds odd, but you always want to retain your balance. So keep your weight over your forward leg. Like this. Feel that burn in your knee? That means you're putting your weight there and that's good. With practice, it'll feel more natural and less weird."

Serena sighed. The Princeling was proving more difficult than she'd imagined. It could be worse though.

At least Aria and Skye had begun to train a little more with their swordplay. So far, the play resembled the original, with only the change to make it a little more appealing to Yokai. She sat wondering if there were other changes that could be made that wouldn't break the play but make it more appealing.

If only the Producer hadn't forced her to do this one. There were so many others she could have done that would have been better.

Darrik felt preoccupied by all the concerns of his investigation and so observed the comments from the others without issue. It could have been far worse, but Yokai were so touchy at times... ok, he was too. But frankly, complaining wasn't worth it for him.

A rustle of fabric, the patter of footfalls and the warlock found himself in Yuuki's shadow. The young dryad smiled down at him, hugging her script to her chest, green eyes hopeful and curious.

"Hello, please forgive me but your name escapes me at the moment. My name's Hina Yuuki of the Hina Clan. May I sit next to you while we wait out this chaos and share a bit of pleasant conversation as we do so?"

Originally Posted By: Skye Angelus
Skye watched the exchange quietly from across the room where she'd gone to practice the duel. She'd wondered when he'd snap and tell Ser-

A tap of the practice sword on her shoulder turned her attention back to Aria. The spider-demon was watching with a knowing smile, and Skye flushed that she'd been caught ogling her boyfriend. "Alright," she said, getting back to the lesson, "when you lunge, you don't want to come all the way forward. I know it sounds odd, but you always want to retain your balance. So keep your weight over your forward leg. Like this. Feel that burn in your knee? That means you're putting your weight there and that's good. With practice, it'll feel more natural and less weird."

Aria nodded and practiced the motion a couple of times on her own before returning to the stage mark to resume the duel. The jorogumo was fast, and freakishly light on her feet, but had very little experience fighting in her human form...that much Skye could detect after just a few exchanges. Perhaps it explained why Aria tended to avoid notice and skulk around. A survival mechanism for someone who couldn't fight when surrounded by aggressive monsters that could.

But then again, Skye had seen how Aria had handled one of those crazed celestial hounds.

"Excuse me," Aria said, cutting the practice short. "Just a moment." She nodded apologetically, and went to the edge of the stage near Serena.

There she asked, "Director, significant changes have been made to the play so far. Exactly how far does your permission to re-interpret the play go?" She paused and added, "Could further changes be made? I think I see a possibility that would let us perform this play, but satisfy some of the...complaints."

"I am, Saliusann-San of the Valley of Magic," answered Yuuki with a polite little bow of confirmation as she sat, openly studying him up and down for a few heartbeat before the smile turned just slightest bit wry, "That's funny. You don't stink of brimstone or seem to be stained in the blood of murdered Yokai centuries old."

The wryness passed, expression reclaiming it's unsullied pure levity, "A simple joke, understand, please. My Clan, and I as it's first representive at this confusing, wonderful Academy, bear you and yours no more malice than we would any powerful faction that won through cleverness and power the right to be left alone and stuck to the terms of their peace treaty. Are you enjoying the production so..."

She trailed off at Serena's interuption, green eyes masking her irritation at this powerplay.

"It doesn't really matter how much they change this play or stick with him." Darrik remarked, a quirk to his lips showing his nonchalance for the play. "Honestly, it was never my first concern. The investigations that are the Newspaper Club's responsibility, I've felt to be more important. For that matter, I've actually made some progress, luckily." Despite those last words, Darrik's lips pursed, troubled by what he knew already and would continue dragging out.

Ah. The curious combination of herald, scribe, and informal prefect that was this Club's main function. She hadn't actually seen any of that yet, between the play and her hours at the Gardening Club after class. And it would derail the disruptive powerplays going on between the other girls to no good end.

"What have you found regarding what, Salisusann-San, presuming Serena-Sempai does not object to the interuption?" she asked, head tilting slightly and lips quirking at how his family name made her sound as if she was stuttering.

"I see," the young dryad answered bemusedly, noting the Warlock's failure to use a honorific at the end of her given name, expression openly wondering what was so grave as to over-ride the herald part of the Newspaper Club's function, "If there is any way I can help your search, you have but to ask. So many ignore the silent witnesses to their actions all around them."

Yuuki gestured at a patch of moss stuggling for life under the overhang of the stage, green and thriving and, to her if she choose to listen, mumbling about the vibrations of the actors above stressing it's anchorage.

Originally Posted By: Justin OOC
Serena looked at Aria. "My leeway is such that we can make it more appealling the generally yokai audience. The change with Kyohei and Kyra is one such change. If you have a change that might help that, I'm listening."

Aria nodded. "I think the play is still a little too...human-centric for yokai tastes. I propose that the plot be changed from star-crossed love between humans, against a backdrop of political skullduggery, to star-crossed love between a human and a yokai...against a similar backdrop. We reframe the plot, changing what needs to change for the new story to make sense."

"In this version, the two lovers are a yokai prince," she nods at Kuro, "and a human demon-hunter who falls in love with him in the course of the many games of cat and mouse they have hunting one another. We would replace the tender, romantic scenes from the beginning...which I think few yokai would appreciate...with scenes of them fighting each other to a standstill, and coming to respect one another."

"Their love is interrupted when she must leave the world of monsters and return to the human world...promising she will return. Before she can though, the prince is betrothed to the Queen...who is plotting secretly to incite war with the human world. She hires a trio of yokai to impersonate human monster hunters and steal the prince away, using some kind of magic charm to prevent him from fighting them. Wendy pursues and defeats each of them though, and frees the prince. We can put in fight sequences in the swamp...or perhaps afterward with the Queen's forces, with the prince relenting only when Wendy is about to be killed. The Queen's plot is to frame human hunters for the kidnapping...and killing...of the beloved prince. Wendy's body will be the proof."

Aria shrugs. "The rest of the story unfolds as it does in the play, more or less. Some minor rewrites will be needed, but ultimately I think it's a fairly simple change that will make it much more understandable for its audience. And it will let us add more action, and give our 'Buttercup' more to do."

She smiles a little "And an excuse to change his name."

"At the words "Human Demon Hunter" Several sets of eyes turned to Aria, though Kyohei's were by far the least obvious as he had been reading through things again with Kyra.

Serena looked thoughtful, and the other members of the theater club drew near to her, knowing the expression well. Her eyes seemed to flash and then it passed.

"Such a rewrite really leaves little for Inigo and the duke, and lets Wendy and "buttercup" have even more of the spotlight. Besides that, Few Yokai would ever swallow a story about a Yokai and a human falling for each other. Most would comment that's like the hunter falling for the prey."

"I agree more action will be good, but I'd prefer to spread it out. I assume in your fix we'd have The kidnappers as humans, and drop the disguises to actually fight Wendy's "human" allies?"

She looked around, as this would mean Krag and Darrik to a lesser extent would have to reveal themselves.

"Just trying to keep that sense of ill-fate, maybe open some minds," Aria replied with her little smile. "Wendy could just as easily be some rival yokai clan though. Bear in mind this is an idea I had just now. It will take some time to flesh out and make workable. But even if we go with something completely different, I think the discussion is moving in the right direction now."

Sitting on the edge of the stage, Delilah pouted, watching Aria and Skye duel then talk to Serene about the parts. It wasn't enough that she didn't get one of the main parts, but they had to make the main parts even more awesome now? That was hardly fair, especially since she was being so nice about this and sticking with her tiny part.

The teen succubus did perk up though when she heard Serene agree with her thought and she flashed the Demon Princess a bright smile. Now she was talking.

"I got some ideas!" Delilah offered exuberantly, rubbing her hands together in anticipation, and consequently setting up some enticing vibrations throughout her torso. "How about we have a prelude or flashback or something where we show me - I mean Countess Ruben - killing Inigo's father? And not only that, we find out that Countess Ruben is actually Inigo's mother! Evil step-countesses or whatever don't have to look old. And if you prefer..."

Delilah squeezed her eyes shut and took a deep breath and subtly, she began to change. Seconds later, Delilah looked about ten years more mature, impossibly sultry and ravishing, and quite scandalous in her school uniform. Her voice was a throaty, womanly purr. "Ta da!"

"And how did Ruben kill Inigo's father?" Serene asked, curious.

"Why, they were making love and he couldn't handle it of course," Delilah explained, as if it was completely obvious. And for a succubus, maybe it was. "And not wanting to take care of the baby herself, she left it in a basket on Inigo's mother's doorstep. And then later, Inigo finds all this out after she's killed me and I'm gasping my last will and testament and then she feels super sad and stuff, because she found out she just killed her biological mother and Countess Ruben actually left Inigo with Inigo's father's wife so she would be raised by someone who really loved her."

Delilah inhaled deeply to regain her breath, seriously taxing her shirt with her lusher, more mature curves. "How about that? Oh! And maybe Countess Ruben was actually manipulating the Queen to start the war with the Human world, hoping the Queen would mess up so she could step in and save the day and become Queen herself. Isn't that like a thousand times better? I couldn't find a way to work in a secret twin that would make sense, unfortunately."

"You're all overthinking this," Yuuki interjected softly, standing up and making a visual sweep of the group with her green eyes, "A crime I was guilty of myself as Kyohei-San might tell you. This a human morality play, the kind of simple fable they'd tell their children before they're old enough to understand how society works or elders would enjoy when they're feeling jaded. My Aunts told me similar stories highlighting Hina Clan values when I had just Awakened."

"Tell the tale as written. Let it stand in all it's ignorance and blind hope. And then our classmates and ourselves can compare it to what humans *actually* do with all their vices and think on that," she finished with a slight bow.

• 2 weeks later...

Serena nodded. "That's what we'll do. We really don't have time to rewrite anything else, and relearning lines will be difficult enough as it is." Her voice carried a certain undeniable finality to it.

"Alright, we'll do costume fittings next week. Now let's run through it again from the top."

(OOC post 5 cp)

Archived