Aberrant: 200X - [Rules Overhaul Discussion] Taint & You!

Eingar

After the recent dicussion here about Taint and how it works, I've been inspired to try and fix the whole Taint/Chrysalis mechanic in this little corner of the Aberrant universe. I realise that this will probably cause me to end up madder than Gabriel Melchior after a Amp-Well 'n' Soma binge in Vegas, but it'll keep bugging me if I don't at least try.

To that end, I'm throwing out a series of proposals, not all necessarily linked, to tighten up and tidy up the Taint systems in Aberrant. These aren't a "take one, take the lot" collection, but rather just the results of some brainstorming I had with a couple of TT buddies as well as one or two of our house rules which have worked reasonably well over 3 years of play.

The object of any of these changes is not to sugar-coat or water-down the effects of Taint, but to make them less rigidly arbitrary and more of a living, breathing part of the system. The Chrysalis rules, in particular, need to be dragged screaming into the common sense chop-shop and turned into something new, because perched as they are on the wobbly framework of the Taint rules, they seem like the silliest hat in the world.

princess-beatrice-hat.jpg

If Chrysalis were a hat... See? You feel your sanity slipping already!

Proposal 1: Power Maxing

In the rules for Maxing Out a power, the nova gains between 1 and 3 points of temporary Taint when they botch the roll. The change I'm proposing here makes Maxing Out dangerous even if you succeed, but more dangerous if you fail or botch. The nova gains 1 point of temporary Taint if they succeed with the power max attempt, 2 points if they fail, and 3 points if they botch.

This represents that, even if successful, the nova is still pushing themselves harder and higher than their quantum matrix can support. It ties in nicely with cases such as Harmattan and Melchior, whom Utopia pushed beyond their limits in order to terraform parts of Africa. If they kept botching, I can't imagine Utopia finding them very useful. But 1 point of temp Taint here, another there, working dawn to dusk and not taking (or being allowed) downtime to let the temp Taint bleed off in addition to the failures and occasional botches? Taint city. No wonder they both snapped.

While this modification isn't bad, Jameson's suggestion has a certain elegant weight to it. With a little tweaking to allay concerns raised in chat, here it is:

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
I threw an idea like this out in the other thread, so I'm totally on board with a minimum taint cost on Maxing. That said ... I really hate the power max mechanics. Pretty much outright. Rolling your quantum, maybe getting a heaping helping of awesome, maybe getting a swift kick in the gonads ... it's a bit too random for my taste in a system that already involves a dozen rolls just to fart. And moreover the gains are not tempting enough. I've "played" (more like suffered through) entire Abby games where nobody ever power maxed. The reward wasn't worth the effort.

Firstly ...

Replace the Willpower cost with a Temp Taint gain. Why? Because in the abbyverse taint is supposed to be that temptation you fight against. Cutting lose with your powers should be dangerously easy.

Secondly ...

Get rid of the quantum roll. The system already involves way more rolling than needed so instead get rid of the roll outright. Instead you get a number of auto sux equal to your Quantum. Gain a taint, and gain a predictable reward. At Q4 you get four sux to buy up your effect.

Originally Posted By: Einherjar
To this I am adding the caveat that each Power Max costs a flat 3 quantum pool. So if our Quantum 4 nova here took on 2 points of Temporary Taint and spent 6 quantum, he would be able to use 8 points of temporary boost to his powers.

Third, rework the costs of the various options thusly.

Effect: Each sux spent increases the Effective rating of the Power being used by 1 dot to calculate the chosen effect. This can increase a rating beyond the normal Quantum imposed limits. This is purchased separately for each effect: Dice Pool, Damage, Range, Soak, or Area.

Add an Extra: 2 sux, as currently. I am raising this to 3 successes necessary to buy a temporary Extra

Increase Duration: 2 sux will increase the duration 1 step from Instant to Concentration to Maintenance. Effects at Maintenance level or with a set duration are doubled in duration per 2 sux spent.

Reduce Quantum Cost: Sometimes you are out of points. Dying for power is kinda lame so instead I propose that every 2 sux can be burned to gain 1 Quantum Pool Point to fuel powers.

Due to the proposed QP cost of Maxing, this feature is largely redundant.

Added:

Mega-Attribute: Spending 2 sux will raise a Mega Attribute 1 dot for one use (be it a combat turn use, or a scene long exertion). This is not limited by Quantum, but the nova in question does need to have at least 1 dot of the mega attribute already, you can;t max something that isn't there after all.

Enhancement: Spending 3 sux will gain the character a new enhancement for 1 use (be it a combat turn use, or a scene long exertion). Enhancements with prerequisites still require all prerequisites (which may be purchased via additional sux if need be).

And, Thirdly ...

For each additional Taint acquired the max gains additional sux equal to the Quantum of the nova. The maximum taint gain need not be limited as it is self limiting (sure you can take on 20 temp taint/2 perm taint). Thus a Q4 nova who takes on 3 taint gains 12 sux to spend on increasing his effect.

Example: Q4 Nova Jimbo takes a 2 taint and maxes his Q-Bolt because he needs to take down the Elite now before he gets killed. He gains 8 sux to spend. He spends 4 of his Sux on Damage effect, and increases his damage pool accordingly, gaining and extra 16 dice of damage (damage dice are power rating x 4 change of 4 x4 = 16). He then spends 2 sux on the Armor Piercing Extra. And then Spends his last two sux to gain a Quantum pool point to help fuel the power since he is already low.

Had Jimbo wanted he could have gained more taint and recieved even more power. He'll find out in a few seconds if he should have or not. Sometimes its better to be a living freak than a dead ... well, anything.

Proposal 2: Common sense in applying penalties

The Social penalty for Taint shouldn't be applied to Intimidation rolls. Unless the nova is deranged enough to consider smearing themselves in custard a valid form of intimidation (which is a function of the aberrations, not the Taint itself), the language of threat display is universal enough that even the most alien of creatures can understand it.

Proposal 3: Social Resonance

As written, Taint of 4 or higher imposes a social difficulty penalty regardless of the nova, the situation, the other people around her... It's a little clumsy: a brute force mechanic.

The aim here is to focus that Taint penalty through a lens of perception. Gods and monsters both seem inhuman and have difficulty relating to humanity, but the reactions of humanity to them are very different. This proposal is to simply assign the levels of difficulty penalty into one or more 'Resonances'. These are semi-deliberately modelled on the Teras archetypes. Mechanically, there will be little difference in the way the penalty plays out. This proposal is to assist mainly from a role-playing perspective.

scottpilgrimpic5.jpg

• Empyrean - Like Evil Ex Number 3 here, Empyrean-resonance novas are 'just better'. They're glorious, divine, angelic, terrible, and daunting. Also like our pal there, they can be absolute douchebags, but that's not necessarily a requirement. The Empyrean nova, usually being free of casual cares and woes, finds it harder to understand or relate to human frailty. They probably find baselines a little ugly, weak and fragile, not to mention slow or stupid in the case of mega-mental novas. The nicer amongst them likely feel sorry for humanity and gladly use their gifts to help out, not always waiting to be asked - which leads to confusion and anger on their part when the ungrateful wretches slap them with lawsuits or try to arrest them for taking the law into their own hands. And the stalkers! Don't get them started about the stalkers!

The less altruistic side of the Empyrean leads them to tend to be cult leaders, heartbreakers, media idols and the like. They are superior to humanity - why not act like it? Human laws are somewhat constrictive - fair enough that they want to protect themselves, but must they be so tiresome about it? No matter, for those with power and beauty, pretty much any human-drawn line in the sand can be shifted a little. Not broken, just bent to allow one to stretch their wings.

For humans around Empyreans, the social penalty reflects elements of unease, overawe, resentment and worship. They want to gawk, but not to get close. They feel that the nova is different to them, alien. For some, the reaction is one of resentment - "How dare this freak walk around normal people, making them feel inadequate!" Or fear - "The nova is strong and perfect and powerful: what happens if they judge me and find me lacking? What if they decided one day to just take over?"

Empyrean-resonating novas usually have showy physical aberrations. Unearthly beauty, glow, anima banner, energy emission, androgyny and the like are the norm. Mental aberrations like delusions of godhood, sociopathy, megalomania and the like are also common, along with hormonal imbalances. Larger-than-life figures typically have larger-than-life lusts and rages.

demotivational-posters-the-longer-you-lo

• Outsider - These novas are just plain weird. They are the alien, the outlandish, the freak-factor. When you think of the classic Taint-making-novas-incomprehensible method, these are the novas tha fit that bill. They are utterly sexless, or they feed on people's sweat, or they consider swallowing people whole and holding them inside their bodies to be a sexual kick (not naming any names there wink ). Unlike the Terat Portent, whom they resemble, the Outsider didn't choose their oddness - Taint made them that way. Maybe they can't hold a conversation with a human for longer than 20 seconds before getting bored, but for some reason speaking to bacterium is fascinating.

For the Outsiders, human standards tend to become less and less relevant. Strange creatures, so numerous and intelligent, yet they don't appreciate the joys of sitting on the bottom of the Marianas Trench? Ah, the tingling feel of crushing pressure clears the mind. Eating magma? Why yes! It's delicious. I recommend the Vesuvian - it feels so good sliding down the multitude of tiny throats in my tentacles.

These novas are constant reminders to both humans and other novas of how weird things can get. They give people the quiet creeps, pure and simple. Their aberrations don't make them threatening or imposing necessarily, they're just ODD as hell- No! No that's alright. I don't want to be petted reassuringly by... by whatever THAT is. Thank you. Yes, I'm going over here now. I'll be... right back. Phew.

Outsider novas tend to have the oddest aberrations, physical, mental or quantum-based. Disturbing Voice and odd feeding requirements at the lower levels, to sexlessness (or hermaphroditism), Allergies to harmless substances, Masochism and then finally to total disassociation with reality, Taint bleed, etc.

hyde_gone_barmy.jpg

• Maelstrom - Unlike the Outsider, whose aberrations are largely harmless if weird, the Maelstrom is a destructive force created by Taint. He might be gleefully malicious villain trying to hide his monstrousness or a reluctant fiend - Bruce Banner or Henry Jekyll fighting against their inner demon - but sooner or later the Maelstrom's power will break free and people will be hurt. The difference between the Maelstrom and the Terat Monster is one of intent and focus. The Monster takes deliberate actions to assert his inhumanity, whereas the Maelstrom has little choice - sooner or later the beast will rampage.

To note, the 'beast' is not always literal. A nova with an uncontrollable or permanently 'on' destructive power is a Maelstrom. Cyclops from the X-Men could be one if the flaw in his power was Taint-derived - his power can only be contained by a certain substance, otherwise it runs wild and destroys all he looks at.

To the Maelstrom, the world is either a playpen or a valley of woes. Those that revel in their monstrous nature can always find some corner of the world where their appetites can thrive. Those that try to reign in their horrible compulsions have less options - they need to arrange their entire lives to account for their aberrations, taking jobs and living places where their problems won't become other peoples.

For baselines, the Maelstrom is the nightmare, the monster under the bed, the uncontrollable and unreasonable force that destroys and takes life. At best, from a distance they pity him as a tragic, frightening figure who has no control over his actions. At worst, they fear and shun him, maybe even hunt him if his actions, witting or not, cause death and destruction. Just being around the Maelstrom is frightening - there's no mistaking the danger he represents. For lower Taint novas the reaction is similar, if less visceral. The Maelstrom is the visible reminder of what possibly lies within all of them - a victim of his power and it's corruption, a figure both tragic and fearful.

The Maelstrom's aberrations are usually the most unacceptable to those around them - he bleeds gamma radiation, he eats human flesh, he feeds on the emotions of people dying or in pain. He's a sadistic psychopath, or an Entropic controller with uncontrollable powers who just can't be around others, or someone with a permanent Disintegrating touch. Perhaps he has a Permanent Parasitic Domination power, forcing him to take over a host just to exist. A combination of deforming aberrations and the Hormonal Imbalance: Lust leads to a monstrous rapist. The possibilities are endless.

The way these archetypes are used is simple enough. A character's aberrations, taken together, should give a decent overview of which of the three a character falls into, and that determines the manner in which the social penalty is roleplayed out. Some novas straddle the divide between two archetypes: A Maelstrom who is both terifying and disturbingly compelling, or an Outsider who's apparent oddness hides darker impulses. Each +1 of Social penalty becomes a dot next to the appropriate Resonance, which at a glance tells us what sort of vibe the nova gives off. Remember, in the case of most PC novas there won't be any more than +3 total. +4 would mean Taint 10, and that's an NPC.

Terats, on the other hand, end up being even weirder by comparison...

Chrysalis! or

The Ups and Downs of the Teras Path

Okay. Teras. Whooooo-boy.

First things first, what this revision and tidy up of Teras *won't* be.

It won't be nerfing Teras, or making it cosmetic. Terat players go through a lot of sweat, strain, danger and adversity (from pretty much everyone including other Terats at times). They don't need those of us who don't believe in transcending humanity to pat them on the heads and say "Good nova, have an RP cookie whilst you brood in splendid isolation."

It won't be making Teras the be-all and end-all of 200x. YES, Terats are potentially very powerful. YES, it's unfair that non-Terats don't get the same lovely benefits. NO, there is no alternate to Teras where you can push the envelope of your evolution and still get to go frolic with the Utopians. They will mistrust you, fear you, and want to dissect your brain to figure out how to do what you do without the whole "Serving humanity isn't the point" mindset.

"Yes, I channel Chrysalis, but I don't inhale." isn't an option. If you're in it to evolve past your inner humanity and become more than a 'mere nova', you're in it all the way. You can be a Terat and not go into Chrysalis, or seek out Taint to channel. Orsaiz does that rather well, though many Terats consider him an effete playboy for not practicing Teras physically, his dedication to the ethics of Teras and his chosen peer group is beyond reasonable question.

So, how do I propose Teras should work?

Remarkably similar to how it already does. I'm going to be paraphrasing and outright copying large chunks of the book here and editing the crap out of them to make something workable, so bear with me.

The Chrysalis Trait represents the evolutionary power of quantum in a nova’s body and mind. When a nova uses one of the Archetypes of the Teras philosophy to shape her actions, she can slowly affect her subconscious use of quantum. This can eventually trigger a second eruption, called the Chrysalis. When she encounters a situation in which she would normally gain temporary Taint as

a result of actions in line with her Archetype, she can spend quantum to gain temporary Chrysalis instead.

Now in the book it costs 7 quantum points to convert 1 point of temporary Taint into 1 point of temporary Chrysalis. The first change I'm proposing is that for every 2 successes on a Willpower roll, the quantum point cost is lowered by 1. This allows the nova's force of will to play a part in the channeling of Taint through the Node and filtering it into Chrysalis. The strongest-willed novas on their best day will perhaps manage 10 successes on this roll, but they will still need to pay 2 QP for the effort involved.

The Storyteller, or in this case Moderator with assistance from the other players if necessary, judges whether the situation is in line with the character’s Archetype, using the guidelines provided under the Archetype descriptions. The first few times a character does this, she will also need to be under the tutelage of a mentor until they have accumulated their first permanent dot of Chrysalis.

The Terat gains aberrations and social resonance from Permanent Chrysalis as with Taint, beginning at 4 and every 2 points thereafter. The Social Resonance penalty is added to whichever resonance archetype best suits the nova's Teras Archetype. The parallels are obvious there. Remember that ALL social difficulty penalties gained from Taint and Chrysalis are cumulative. When the Terat enters the Chrysalid state and their permanent Chrysalis score goes back to zero, the penalties accrue again starting at Chryalis 4. Needless to say by this point the nova is going to have trouble relating to any non-Terat. More on that below.

Archetypes and Triggering Chrysalis

The Archetypes are fine as they stand. I have a few words to say on the channeling of Taint and the triggering of the Chrysalid state, though.

Marvels

Originally Posted By: Teragen Book
Marvels routinely push themselves to the limit, wanting to prove their superiority over others. Anytime a Marvel gains Taint after using his powers in a flashy or unnecessary way, he may try to convert it into points of Chrysalis. While Power Strain is the most common way, it is not enough merely to push one's power to the limit - the Marvel must make a spectacle

of the action, asserting both his power and pride.

Fairly self-evident. But I'd like to stress that, particularly in a story-oriented setting like 200x, I would like to read good fictions built around the spectacles that the Marvel performs. There has to be an element of premeditation and purpose to the show other than 'look what I can do', which cheapens the Marvel archetype.

Flying randomly across the city and Maxing Out to throw a huge flashy strobe effect to score some quick Chrysalis is out. Maxing out your Hypermovement to outrun the baseline fighter jets and their flying novas who insist on trying to curtail your self-determined right to go where you please is more acceptable. Like it says on the package: assert your power and your pride. Pride is only a sin for baselines - for you it's a way of life.

Monsters

For a Monster to channel Taint requires a certain ritualistic element such as sacrifices or ritual scarification. The key is in premeditation: The Monster must act, not react. Likewise, causing fear in others, thereby proclaiming one's inhumanity, is another way to channel Chrysalis.

Again, fairly simple on the surface. The only reason I'm commenting is to hammer home the concept of premeditation. For all three Archetypes, in all stages of the Chrysalis process, the point is in deliberate action rather than hasty reaction. When Geryon walked in and killed Mayor Rupert, a cold-blooded act of premeditated terror, that would have been the perfect time to channel Chrysalis. When Shrapnel goes out for a drink, converses for hours, and then kills her old mentor/lover in 'Cautery' at the start of the Teragen book, that was a deliberate cutting away of her baseline weakness, the 'Alison' she used to be.

Portents

Anytime a Portent gains Taint from trying to understand something beyond her current knowledge - what a perennial enemy’s next move will be, how to construct a particularly devastating weapon, why a serial killer chooses children as his victims, etc. - she can try to gain Chrysalis.

In case it needs to be said, because there is invariably one person who claims "But you didn't say so!" ...

No. Reading someone's mind to find out their favorite underwear colour does not count. Make the fic about something interesting, or don't waste thread space on it. grin

Unleash the Pupa Power! (Revenant's term. I'm borrowing it.)

Okay, so you've gotten your 5 or more permanent points of Chrysalis. You've written an epic fiction (it had better be!) detailing your character's quest to find and meet a challenge worthy of triggering her personal evolution. The Mods are cool with it. Go, go, quantum coccoon!

What if I Botch my 'enter Chrysalis' roll?

Um. Don't? Seriously. This is where the risk really comes in for Terats. Sure, you stand to gain great power, nifty tricks lesser novas can only envy, and even Quantum 6(!) But if you Botch, you are screwed. You go into the Chrysalis and don't come out without serious outside help. And if you do, you'll be changed a little more than you expected. Caveat emptor.

Now that the scary question is answered...

The rest of Chrysalis works just as in the book. You gain 3 'XP' for each point of permanent Chrysalis. You can spend other XP that you've stored up in preparation. You get the nice reduced cost chart. And yes, if you have the XP and Mod approval, you can buy Quantum 6. You also spend 1 week in the cocoon for every point of XP you spend. Now the last little harsh bit.

During this time in Chrysalis, your character is effectively suspended. He gains no XP for time passing. You can post flashback fics or little updates from the friends he has watching his cocoon if you like, but the character gains no XP for them. None. Zip. And that state persists until the requisite number of weeks has passed in real time from the date your character went into Chrysalis.

Good thing you're allowed an alt, isn't it? smile

I like it. It adds a degree of subtlety to the system without really adding complexity, and gives a simple way to think about how to describe the effects of an NPC's taint

Quote:
Proposal 1: Power Maxing
In the rules for Maxing Out a power, the nova gains between 1 and 3 points of temporary Taint when they botch the roll. The change I'm proposing here makes Maxing Out dangerous even if you succeed, but more dangerous if you fail or botch. The nova gains 1 point of temporary Taint if they succeed with the power max attempt, 2 points if they fail, and 3 points if they botch.

I threw an idea like this out in the other thread, so I'm totally on board with a minimum taint cost on Maxing. That said ... I really hate the power max mechanics. Pretty much outright. Rolling your quantum, maybe getting a heaping helping of awesome, maybe getting a swift kick in the gonads ... it's a bit too random for my taste in a system that already involves a dozen rolls just to fart. And moreover the gains are not tempting enough. I've "played" (more like suffered through) entire Abby games where nobody ever power maxed. The reward wasn't worth the effort.

Firstly ...

Replace the Willpower cost with a Temp Taint gain. Why? Because in the abbyverse taint is supposed to be that temptation you fight against. Cutting lose with your powers should be dangerously easy.

Secondly ...

Get rid of the quantum roll. The system already involves way more rolling than needed so instead get rid of the roll outright. Instead you get a number of auto sux equal to your Quantum. Gain a taint, and gain a predictable reward. At Q4 you get four sux to buy up your effect.

Third, rework the costs of the various options thusly.

Effect: Each sux spent increases the Effective rating of the Power being used by 1 dot to calculate the chosen effect. This can increase a rating beyond the normal Quantum imposed limits. This is purchased separately for each effect: Dice Pool, Damage, Range, Soak, or Area.

Add an Extra: 2 sux, as currently

Increase Duration: 2 sux will increase the duration 1 step from Instant to Concentration to Maintenance. Effects at Maintenance level or with a set duration are doubled in duration per 2 sux spent.

Reduce Quantum Cost: Sometimes you are out of points. Dying for power is kinda lame so instead I propose that every 2 sux can be burned to gain 1 Quantum Pool Point to fuel powers.

And, Thirdly ...

For each additional Taint acquired the max gains additional sux equal to the Quantum of the nova. The maximum taint gain need not be limited as it is self limiting (sure you can take on 20 temp taint/2 perm taint). Thus a Q4 nova who takes on 3 taint gains 12 sux to spend on increasing his effect.

Example: Q4 Nova Jimbo takes a 2 taint and maxes his Q-Bolt because he needs to take down the Elite now before he gets killed. He gains 8 sux to spend. He spends 4 of his Sux on Damage effect, and increases his damage pool accordingly, gaining and extra 16 dice of damage (damage dice are power rating x 4 change of 4 x4 = 16). He then spends 2 sux on the Armor Piercing Extra. And then Spends his last two sux to gain a Quantum pool point to help fuel the power since he is already low.

Had Jimbo wanted he could have gained more taint and recieved even more power. He'll find out in a few seconds if he should have or not. Sometimes its better to be a living freak than a dead ... well, anything.

I like these Power Maxing rules. They allow a nova to 'supercharge' temptingly easily, so in desperate situations the option to Max Out will be right there and as easy as taking temp Taint points...

One amendment I would make. Leave the Willpower cost in place. It should still require mental effort as well as strain on the nova's quantum matrix to Max Out. Regardless of how many temp Taint the nova takes, it still costs 1 Willpower point to initiate the process. This will also play into the Chrysalis rules, which requires Willpower rolls in order to channel the Taint gained into Chrysalis. The more you Max, the less chance of successfully channelling Taint.

Edit: After discussion in chat, I think that adding Extras to a power through maxing should cost 3 successes, not 2.

I've always wondered; How was the concept of the philosophy of Teras constructed by Mal, and is it possible for a Nova of some ilk to have a similar revelation, but on a different path? Just out of curiosity since we are talking about the big pink elephant in the room (taint).

Originally Posted By: Einherjar
One amendment I would make. Leave the Willpower cost in place. It should still require mental effort as well as strain on the nova's quantum matrix to Max Out. Regardless of how many temp Taint the nova takes, it still costs 1 Willpower point to initiate the process. This will also play into the Chrysalis rules, which requires Willpower rolls in order to channel the Taint gained into Chrysalis. The more you Max, the less chance of successfully channelling Taint.

Edit: After discussion in chat, I think that adding Extras to a power through maxing should cost 3 successes, not 2.

Re: Extras cost - This is something that would need play-testing obviously. I went with 2 since that is what was in the book, but I can see where the known quantity of gains might necessitate an increase in that cost.

Re: Willpower cost - Without seeing your proposed Chrysalis rules I can't judge for myself how this will work. That said, I think the concentration/mental effort is implicit in the fact that you spend an entire turn doing nothing but "powering up" when you max. However I will wait until you have the Chrysalis stuff out since you mentioned that they play directly with each other.

Everyone probably has their own ideas about Teras and it's origins. This one is mine.

Divis Mal did NOT develop the philosophy of Teras. The initial round table of the Teragen did, mainly Caroline Fong, The Mathematician, and Scripture (guided by Mal). What they did was apply a philosophical framework to the mental and physical discipline that Mal himself exerted in order to harness wild Taint into useful, positive evolutionary energies. This framework allowed others to duplicate Mal's feat.

To use an analogy: Mal was the first guy to develop a martial art. He developed it over many years, studying the natural ways of moving and the way chi flows around the body. For him it was a process of trial and error, finding the right combination of mental and physical actions to gain the right effect.

Years later, these people who are impressed with Mal's achievements attempt to duplicate it. Questioning him on the discipline and meditation he used, they form a practical philosophy based around willpower and mind over matter. The system of thought codifies the process into a series of exercises and allows others to learn how it is done without spending decades developing it.

So to answer your question: Yes, a nova could develop 'their own form of Teras', but it would take decades of trial and error by an exceptional individual in order to recreate the exercises on which the philosophy is built.

Re: Max Rules

You had said you wanted to keep the Willpower cost but that's not in your revised copy, was this replaced by the Quantum cost per sux? Speaking of Quantum costs, while I don't disagree with it I think 1 per 1 is a bit steep, I think you risk pushing the cost-vs-gain balance away from the middle again. I think a flat cost per temp taint might be better. Yes this favors higher Quantum characters, but what in Abby doesn't? 3 Qp + 1 Temp Taint to activate [Quantum] sux on a power max perhaps?

Also, I grossly neglected an entire avenue of power, which is partially because the original rules do so as well. Mega-stats ...

Mega-Attribute: Spending 2 sux will raise a Mega Attribute 1 dot for one use (be it a combat turn use, or a scene long exertion). This is not limited by Quantum, but the nova in question does need to have at least 1 dot of the mega attribute already, you can;t max something that isn't there after all.

Enhancement: Spending 3 sux will gain the character a new enhancement for 1 use (be it a combat turn use, or a scene long exertion). Enhancements with prerequisites still require all prerequisites (which may be purchased via additional sux if need be).

Ex 1: Rob Roy the Mega Diver needs to hold his breath to get to the surface from the bottom of the Marianas Trench. He clamps his jaw shut and starts swimming, and with a cost of 2 Temp Taint and 6 QP he activates his Quantum 3 twice getting 6 sux. He spends all of those on 3 dots of Mega Stamina raising it from rank 4 (his max at Q3) to Rank 7. Barring something unfortunate he should be able to make it to the surface.

Ex 2: Dead-Eye just got grappled, which is bad for a mega dexterous nova. Luckily he has 1 dot of mega strength (to help him carry around the 30 mm sniper rifle he uses). He maxes and gains 3 Taint and spends 9 QP to activate his Quantum 3, three times, gaining 9 sux. He Spends 3 to gain Quantum Leap, and the other 6 to boost his M-Str to 4 dots. He splits his action and breaks the grapple before bounding off a few klicks to safety.

Originally Posted By: jameson (ST)
Re: Max Rules
You had said you wanted to keep the Willpower cost but that's not in your revised copy, was this replaced by the Quantum cost per sux? Speaking of Quantum costs, while I don't disagree with it I think 1 per 1 is a bit steep, I think you risk pushing the cost-vs-gain balance away from the middle again. I think a flat cost per temp taint might be better. Yes this favors higher Quantum characters, but what in Abby doesn't? 3 Qp + 1 Temp Taint to activate [Quantum] sux on a power max perhaps?

I decided to waive the WP cost for Maxing out in the proposal, yes.

And the 3QP + 1 Temp Taint to activate [Quantum] sux on a power max works for me. Adjusting the proposal accordingly.

Keep the rules as is, just allow people to use temp taint for extra successes. See how long that takes people to go down the rabbit hole.

No cap on that either...You want a dot of permanent taint for 10 extra successes..sure, go for it....feel the burn.

Nice idea for certain themes of game, but I'm trying to keep something within the spirit of the basic Power Max rules, allowing truly impressive feats of quantum-fueled power... for a price. But without making it overly complicated.

I'm perfectly fine with Proposal 2 and 3 and indeed, I find they add much flavor and common-sense to the game.

Proposal 1 - Power Maxing

At first, I thought the set affect for Power Maxing was an excellent idea - streamlined, no rolling, clear and guaranteed bonuses. But the more I thought about it, the more I think it's too much of a change. Power Maxing is never a risk now, you always get exactly the effect you want and you can plan around it.

Also, when you come down to it, the proposed change favours the NPCs. The PCs are meant to stick around, most NPCs that come into conflict with them (minus most canon ones) are more or less one-shot villains. They can blow their wad on taint and through super-charged attacks on the PCs willy-nilly. Which even makes sense, since just about anyone with their life on the line will do anything to stay alive (Dragon Age 2 Mages, anyone?).

Also, though I don't want to use the format of PbP games to determine rules, it makes really makes a difference with these rules. When Power Maxing is a gamble, the PC has a choice. With the set affect, it isn't a gamble. Any fights don't happen all that often and relaxing downtime is guaranteed whenever a PC wants to. So there's nothing stopping a PC when he or she gets into a fight to take the temporary point of taint, then chillaxing for a week to get rid of it.

Also, this will make Power Maxing far more common - it will certainly take away from the spectacle of someone risking to go all out and try to make a big boom.

On the other hand, I do think the potential in a Power Max should be a little higher than rolling 5 dice and hoping for a success. So, that said I actually really like Damon's idea: Keep Power Maxing as is, except people can gain 1 extra success for each point of temporary taint they are willing to accept. Power Maxing is still a risk, but if you are willing to pay for it, you can still get a lot of BOOM. (Maybe add something about the Mega-Attributes/Enhancements too for those type of Novas).

Chrysalis:

As a philosophy, sure it adds something to the setting, despite how poorly written it was and how well those who purport to follow it actually follow it.

But I personally hate factions/feats/skills/whatever that change XP costs - it's like getting compound interest on XP. Short term cost for long term gain. Each point of XP should have the same exact value for everyone. These are my feelings for any game - I think stuff like this in Shadowrun and/or Earthdawn annoyed me too - as did the experience tables for the different classes in D&D 2nd edition.

I'd say let the Terats convert taint to chrysalis giving the ability to choose their aberrations to a degree, as well as stay in control even when they have progresses so far from humanity. But they don't need the different way of gaining/spending XP. Let them earn XP at the same rate and spend it at the same rate - Chrysalis is just a good event for spending a ton in one instance and to explain new powers or developments of those powers.

My two cents.

Originally Posted By: Bombshell
So there's nothing stopping a PC when he or she gets into a fight to take the temporary point of taint, then chillaxing for a week to get rid of it

Check the rules for getting rid of ONE point of Temp Taint.

The nova must spend a month either in downtime or else dormed or using no more than half power, including mega-atts. And not botch any power rolls.

THEN they have to spend a WP and make a WP roll, +1 diff for every point of temporary Taint over the first.

1 net success bleeds of 1 temp Taint. 3 net successes bleeds of 2 temporary Taint. Failure means no Taint removed, Botching means gain a point of Permanent Taint.

It's not that easy...

Originally Posted By: Bombshell
Chrysalis:
As a philosophy, sure it adds something to the setting, despite how poorly written it was and how well those who purport to follow it actually follow it.

But I personally hate factions/feats/skills/whatever that change XP costs - it's like getting compound interest on XP. Short term cost for long term gain. Each point of XP should have the same exact value for everyone. These are my feelings for any game - I think stuff like this in Shadowrun and/or Earthdawn annoyed me too - as did the experience tables for the different classes in D&D 2nd edition.

I'd say let the Terats convert taint to chrysalis giving the ability to choose their aberrations to a degree, as well as stay in control even when they have progresses so far from humanity. But they don't need the different way of gaining/spending XP. Let them earn XP at the same rate and spend it at the same rate - Chrysalis is just a good event for spending a ton in one instance and to explain new powers or developments of those powers.

My two cents.

Noted. I disagree due to the simple fact that it's not as though Terats are getting the XP and Chrysalis discounts for free. Those willing to devote time and energy into something that is at heart identical to human yogis learning to control their autonomic activity through force of will are going to reap benefits. Them's the breaks. They take the risks, they sacrifice their humanity, they reap the benefit.

Just like it was easiest for a Thief to level up in AD&D 2nd edition, but in the endgame the Mage would be superior to virtually every class.

Quote:

Let's say that Terat Bob enters Chrysalis and spends 30 exp (15 from Chrysalis 5, and 15 saved up from before). That's 30 weeks of downtime, or 7 1/2 months.

At a rate of 7 exp per month the Terat is going to actually lose out on 49 experience during Chrysalis, which is probably going to exceed any gains he may make via the reduced Exp costs from the same.

And yet it's still worthwhile, from an RP as well as a mechanical perspective. The savings the nova makes in Chrysalis mitigate some of that loss of XP through reducing most costs by 30 to 50%, so it doesn't sting too badly. Overall, it balances out.

Seeing as this debate has been quiet now for 48 hrs, I'm going to give this proposal another day for issues to be raised before putting it up for a vote.

The vote will be fourfold: 1 vote for each main Proposal. Proposals 2 and 3 will be simple 'yes' or 'no' votes. Proposal 1 will be a choice between 3 options: my initial proposal, Jameson's revised proposal, and no change.

The Chrysalis write up isn't really a proposal, more of a clarification, but there is a substantive rules tweak in there with the Willpower roll lowering the q-cost of Taint channeling, so that will be up for a vote as well.

Archived