Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Chapter 4: Theater

Justin OOC

Everyone arrived in the large ampitheater that also served as the awards and assembly hall for the school. It was larger than a great number of it's human world counterparts, capable of seating over three thousand including the balcony.

The entire club was present, seated in the first and second row, as the Theater club moved about the stage. There were only six of them in total. A seventh showed up and immediately everything stopped.

Serena Aida was the president of the club, and One of the most eclectic personalities on campus. She was the youngest daughter of the Demonlord Forbesi, and one of the only females who wasn't a succubus who could compete with them.

"Good day everyone!" Her voice wasn't what one would expect, being quite happy and cheerful, and upbeat.

They all responded in kind.

"Listen up. With the issues and reversals we suffered, I took it upon myself to ask our new Sponsor, Miss Nekomone to recruit, or at least politely ask her main club to help us out. They have graciously agreed." This got a variety of smiles from the six members of the club.

She looked out to the Newspaper club and smiled. "First off I'd like to thank you all for agreeing to do this, and I'd like to have everyone introduce themselves please. I know who each of you are, but I don't think you know all of us."

"I'm Serena Aido, president of the club, and generally the director of our productions." Serene had a pale complexion, brilliant emerald green eyes and long blonde hair.

The next person to come forward was slight woman who's clothing was covered in paint splotches. Her black hair was bulled back and tied up at the back of her hair. "I'm Yukari Sugai, I paint everything for the club."

The only male was next. He stood roughly 5'7 and was fairly normal looking. "I'm Derek Cain, I build the sets."

Next came a girl wearing large glasses. Her long brown hair was braided, and reached the back of her thighs. "I'm Lucy Aden, I working on writing the script and dialog for the production." She was quite shy in her posture and demeanor.

The next girl was tall, as Tall as Kyohei easily if not abit more. "I'm Haruka Senda, I am one of the seamstresses in charge of making the costumes." She was attractive, but not overly so.

The last woman was petite and set off a number of warnings for Kyra. "I'm Kana Shirayuki. I handle special effects for our shows." Kana, Kyra could tell, was another dragon.

Their introductions done, they waited for the Newspaper club. Miss Nekomone nodded to them indicating they should introduce themselves.

The pretty blonde was slouching in her seat, but when Nekomone nodded, she rose to her feet. “Skye Fell,” she said, nodding to the group. “I don’t do anything with the theatre but I have watched a lot of TV, so I’m sure I can help you guys do dramatic stuff.” She managed a smile, then sat back down in her seat next to Kurosoroshiimaru. Her fingers intertwined with her boyfriend’s again and she relaxed into her chair, glad to let the spotlight pass on to another.

Aria stood up and glanced around the room, sparing a quick look for each person's face as if memorizing them.

"Aria Thespid," she said simply. "I will do what is required of me."

She sat back down, apparently satisfied with that introduction.

"It will be sufficient for you to call me Kurosoroshiimaru." the Prince of Beast-Demons said without standing as he, like Aria, looked from face to face and nodded slowly. "I have seen some plays performed in the past, but that is as far as my knowledge goes. I have no experience of human-style theatre, but I will assist in this endeavour."

The daiyokai's human guise was firmly in place today - his caste marks and other telling features covered so that he appeared simply as a handsome, pale-skinned, black haired boy with deep green eyes. As usual, his face was all-but expressionless, but there may have been a faint glimmer of curiosity in the depths of his gaze as he studied the stage.

Kyra's eyes watched Kana's movements like a predator watching another predator in her territory. "I know stories, I've never done a play, but I learn fast and if you teach me what you want me to do, I can do it..." She also watched Serena closely, as the daughter of the DemonLord, that meant she could be almost as dangerous as any dragon.

Kyra watching Serena closely, though in Delilah's case, her gaze was less predatory (at least, somewhat) and more... amorous. Sure, she had a boyfriend - she gave his hand a tight squeeze - but that didn't mean her interest in girls was reduced, nor relieved. And Serena sure was yummy. I wonder why she's not a cheerleader? Showers...

Delilah jumped to her feat, flashing the rest of the Theater Club a bright grin, but keeping her hot, violet eyes on Serena. "I'm Delilah Synn, and I'm so looking forward to this. I've seen tonnes of TV and Movies and I've even been on the sets of my mom's movies since I was a little girl, which while fun and educational, I'm sure the faculty will have reservations about applying those techniques to the stage." Her eyes were smoldering and her grin turned playful. "I'd be more than willing to show you them on our own time though."

Delilah sat back down, sitting sideways in her seat so her crossed legs were over Kyohei's lap. "Tell me, Serena, have you ever heard of a Human producer called Aaron Spelling?"

After waiting for an opening in the introductions, Krag stands up in the back of the auditorium, his booming voice filling the space. "I am Krag. I will attempt whatever you put in front of me." Krag smiles a toothy grin, revealing scraggly teeth. He sits back down, the chair groaning under his weight. While he looks uncomfortable in the seat, it probably has more to do with his size, than the circumstances of the situation. "Oh, I'm also willing to help backstage, should it be needed."

Shizuka smiled. The young troll had expressed the desire to join the club, and she had been suprised, but easily accepted. "Glad you could make it Krag. Welcome to the club, and to our joint production with the Theater Club."

Serena had been paying attention to the others, Delilah mostly as they were both demons, and nodded at the sight of the Troll.

"I guarantee I can find something for you to do Krag."

A man of inhuman beauty, flawless skin and perfect brown eyes and hair, stood and nodded his head towards those on the stage. He was dressed sharply in the school uniform, no stitch or crease out of place. "Lord Kozue of House Drogothi."

Behind him a young woman of the same predatory grace and perfection gave the barest hint of a curtsy, "Lady Korakura of the same."

"And this is my Rica," Kozue waved off-handedly at the collard maiden. He smiled politely to Serene and offered, "She will assist this production however she is told."

Rica, black haired and violet-eyed, bowed her head in acquiescence. "As you wish, master."

Serena's eyes narrowed. "There are no titles in this club. If I can leave mine at the door I expect everyone else to do so." Then she smiled and nodded to Darrik. "You and Kana are going to get along well."

She smiled as the young dragon stared daggers at the young warlock and nodded.

Kyohei stood and nodded. "I'm Kyohei Sokatsu, it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to working with you."

Serena eyed him carefully and nodded.

There was a clatter of hasty footsteps on concrete, and Yuuki appeared at the main entrance to the theater area, looking flushed and flustered, her books hugged to her chest. Matriarchs take her, she had lost track of time after class and then she had gotten lost getting here and then Kara had caught up to her to discuss Gardening Club business for tommorow and... and...

Well, she was here now. Time to save face at this, her first meeting with the Newspaper Club and hope her training would allow her to recover from her blunders. "I'm sorry, Nekomone-Sensi," the young dryad apoligized as she came to a halt, "Please forgive my tardiness."

"Understood, Nekomone-Sensi. I am Hina Yuuki of the Hina Clan. It is a pleasure to meet you all and I hope to make the experience mutual for all of us," she offered to the assembled students with a bow of her head before settling onto a seat ready to listen what's going on.

Serena smiled. "A Hina Clan member... Miss Nekomone your newspaper club has the most interesting and nearly complete collection. All you really need is a celestial and a human and I dare say you'd have a representative of every one of the major type of monsters."

The way she looked at them, She KNEW.

She nodded. "Well that aside, I'd like to thank you all for your willingness to participate. I've prepared some lines I'd like you all to read. This will allow us to see your natural talents as performers, so we can see what we have to select an appropriate play."

Lucy came forward, and handed out a sheet of paper to each of the members of the newspaper club. if you all would come up one at a time, and do a reading of the lines on your page, I'd appreciate it. This won't take long and will be a major help to me, and the production."

She came down and the other members moved around, disappearing into the wings of the stage.

"I'm not picky which of you chooses to go first, however you decide is perfectly fine."

(OOC you can come up with your own lines, either from a known play or something original, but I'd tell you to make them for the part or style of part you'd prefer to have. not all the parts are from the same play, it's meant to provide a range. have fun)

"Who" Kuromaru murmured to Skye as he read over the part Serena had given him to read "Is this 'Oberon'?"

"King of the Fairie folk." Skye murmured back. "Powerful, vengeful, but gracious in victory."

"A fairy." Kuromaru said flatly and none-too-softly. "I am to play at being a fairy? This is offensive."

"More like the Sidhe than fluttery fairy creatures." Skye tried to paint it in a different complexion. It seemed to work: Kuromaru nodded slowly, re-examining the words.

"Very well. I shall read this part." he examined it for a few moments, then shrugged and stood. "I am ready. Though this seems easy enough." Serena smiled and gestured towards the stage.

"We await your recital, Kurosoroshiimaru." she said semi-formally, smiling at the graceful, human-appearing young man. Surefootedly, he mounted the steps to the stage and stood before them, examining the words as he did so. Then he fixed the audience with a cool, haughty gaze and spoke.

"I pray thee, give it me.

I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,

Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,

Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,

With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine:

There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,

Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight;

And there the snake throws her enamell'd skin,

Weed wide enough to wrap a fairy in:

And with the juice of this I'll streak her eyes,

And make her full of hateful fantasies."

His human mask in place, Kurosoroshiimaru still radiated poise and regal hauteur as he drew himself up, holding the paper loosely in one hand so he could refer to it as he spoke. In his voice was the authoritative and cruel King of Faerie, jealous of his love and his power, plotting revenge on his Queen.

Krag rises to his feet, and approaches the stage, "I guess I'll go next."

Serena smiles and hands Krag a sheet of paper, which he gladly takes. She leans in towards Krag and stage-whispers to him, "Good luck."

Krag looks over the words a few times, then draws himself up to his full imposing height. He begins pacing back and forth, his face forming into a mask of worry and angst.

Proposition: If I could choose from every woman who breathes on this earth; the face I would most love -- the smile, the touch, the heart, the voice, the laugh, the very soul itself, every detail and feature to the last strand of the hair--it would all be Jenny's.

Krags eyes begin to burn through the audience, showing a dark and disturbing soul.

Proposition: If I could choose from every man who breathes on this earth -- a man for my brother, a man for my son, and a man for my friend it would all be Lance! I love them -- I love them and they answer me with pain! And torment! Be it sin, or not sin: they have betrayed me in their HEARTS, and that's far sin enough! I can see it in their eyes! I can feel it when they speak! And they must pay for it and be punished! I shall NOT be wounded and not return it in kind! I DEMAND A MAN'S VENGEANCE!

Krag takes a deep breath, and begins to calm down.

Proposition: I am a king -- not a "man." And a very civilized king. Could it possibly be civilized to destroy the thing I love? Could it possibly be civilized to love myself above all? What about their pain? And their torment? Did they ask for this calamity? Can passion be selected? Is there any doubt of thier devotion to me, and to our Table? By God! I shall be a king! This is the time of King Arthur, when we shall reach for the stars! This is the time of King Arthur, when violence is NOT strength, and compassion is NOT weakness! WE ARE CIVILIZED! Resolved! We shall live through this together, Excalibur! They, you, and I!

Krag leans forward, stage whispering the last line of his monologue...

And may God have mercy on us all!

Krag nods to Serena, "Good words for me to say. They fit."

He then dismounts the stage and sits back in his protesting seat.

Just as Krag sat down, Delilah jumped to her feat and scampered down to the stage with a series of enticing undulations, the sheet with her part rustling in her hand. "My turn! This part is perfect for me! How'd you know I want to be a singer? A musical is awesome!"

Delilah bounded on stage, full of exuberance and cheer, and Serene smiled with amusement. Delilah was certainly not what she expected from a daughter of Lilith. "Oh, I had a hunch. Now, Delilah, if you would start at 'But that was the milkflowers fault, not yours,' right after Elphaba has told Glinda how she blames herself for her sister's messed-up legs, that would be great. I'll read Elphaba's part, so you have something to respond to."

Delilah gave the Demon Princess a playful smile and a teasing wink. "Oh, thanks, but I promise you, you're already giving me something to."

Delilah centered herself on the stage, closed her eyes, and took a dangerously deep breath to compose herself. Then she opened her eyes, bright with animation, pulling the audience in with her high spirits, as she strutted across the stage, her sultry voice sweet and clear.

"But that was the milkflowers fault, not yours. That may be your secret, Elphaba, but that doesn't make it true. She - Oh look, it's tomorrow! Elphie... do you mind if I call you Elphie?"

"Well, it's a little perky," Serene said clearly, but with little inflection, so she wouldn't detract from Delilah's performance.

"And you can call me... Galinda. So... Elphie... now that we're friends, I've decided to make you my new project!"

"You really don't have to do that."

"I know, that's what makes me so nice!

Delilah stepped up to the edge of stage, her graceful, vivacious movements adding to her performance, adding just the right touch of personality to the song she began to sing. Off to the side, Lucy pressed a button on the sound system, starting the instrumental accompaniment.

"Whenever I See someone less fortunate than I

And let's face it... who isn't

Less fortunate than I?

My tender heart tends to start to bleed

And when someone needs a makeover

I simply have to takeover

I know I know

Exactly what they need

And even in your case...

Though it's the toughest case I've yet to face!

Don't worry! I'm determined to succeed

Follow my lead

And yes indeed

You

Will

Be...

Popular!

You're gonna be popular

I'll teach the proper ploys

When you talk to boys

Little ways to flirt and flounce *Delilah squealed with girlish glee*

I'll show you what shoes to wear

How to fix your hair

Everything that really counts to be popular

I know about popular

And with an assist from me

To be who you'll be

Instead of dreary who you were...

Well are...

There's nothing that can stop you

From becoming populer...

Lar!

La La La La

We're gonna make you popular!

When I see depressing creatures

With unprepossessing features,

I remind them on their own behalf

To think of

Celebrated heads of state

Or especially great communicators

Did they have brains or knowledge?

Don't make me laugh!

They were popular

Please, it's all about popular

It's not about aptitude

It's the way you're viewed

So it's very shrewd to be

Very very popular

Like me!"

"This is never going to work!"

Delilah glided up to Serene, slipping an arm around her waist, giving her an emphatic hug, then turned her around and straightened her shoulders, her expression bright and earnest. "Oh Elphie, you mustn't think that way anymore! Your whole life is going to change... and all because of me. Okay, stand... I will turn your frock into a beautiful ball gown! Stand up..."

Delilah pantomined picking up a magic wand, then waving it around with an elegant flourish. "Ball gown!!!" A disappointed frown crossed Delilah's face and she repeated the gesture. "Ball gown!!!" This time, Delilah pretended to tap the wand vigorous against her thigh. "Is this thing on?"

"Do you want me to try?"

"No, I've got it!" Delilah acted out one more attempt, then pantomimed throwing the wand on the ground and stamped on it with her heel. "Oh, just wear the frock... it's pretty! Now, I'll show you how to flip your hair: Flip flip. Or you could use your hand." Delilah demonstrated flipping her hair for the audience's benefit with astonishing competency - the succubus certainly knew what she was doing.

"Or, you can use your whole body." Delilah did a seductive shimmy that started from her toes and shivered all the way to the tips of her fingers and gave another flirtatious squeal as she whipped her hair. "Now, for the finishing touch."

Delilah reached up into her hair, and suddenly, a flower blossom of pliant, cool flame appeared. She plucked it from her hair and with an almost intimate caress, stepped up to Serene and placed in her hair. "Why, Miss Elphaba, look at you, you're beautiful."

Reaching behind her back, inadvertently arching out her chest, Delilah pretended to pull out a mirror and presented it to Serene, who played along, acting out peering into it.

"I... I have to go." Serene dutifully walked to the side of the stage, not taking her eyes off of Delilah.

"You're Welcome!" Delilah pretended to preen in the mirror, then turned back to the audience, voice rising once more into song.

"And though you protest

Your disinterest,

I know clandestinely...

You're gonna grin and bear it

Your new found popularity! *Delilah squealed yet again to punctuate the song*

La La La La

You'll be popular!

Just not quite as popular

As me!!!

Delilah pretended to toss the mirror over her shoulder then bowed deeply to the other students sitting in the rising tiers of chairs, blowing them kisses. How she managed to not fall out of her shirt was a mystery.

"Thank-you! Thank-you! And don't forget, I'm here all week. Tell your friends," Delilah said lightly as she strutted back to her seat, plopping down onto Kyohei's lap, and wrapping an arm around his neck, but turning back to flash Serene a confident smirk. "So, how was that?"

Krag suprised Serena, in as much as she didn't have to help him with any of the words, and he managed to emote beyond expectations. "That was great Krag."

Delilah took the stage by storm, and with virtually unseen cues the theater crew took cues and added to it out of reflex.

Serena smiled. "I do believe that will do quite nicely. We may have some issues in wardrobe with you Delilah, but they'll be worth it if you can perform like that for the shows."

Yuuki had spent the other's performances going over her sheet of paper, alternately frowning and blushing as she digesting it. This was... If the stage direction meant anything... Well, she'd just do it. It wasn't like she was a *complete* stranger to public performance, song one of the favored means of preserving Hina Clan lore just in case of disaster. "Pardon me," she volunteered quietly, "But I'd like to go next."

The young dryad almost hastily made her way onto the stage, paper clutched in both hands in front of her. A final glance down at the opening line, an indrawn breath and she was off, voice rising in a melancholy tone drifting inevitably towards happy.

"I lived my life in shadow

Never the sun on my face

It didn't seem so sad, though

I figured that was my place

Now I'm bathed in light

Something just isn't right"

She turned to face an invisible partner to her left.

"I'm under your spell

How else could it be

Anyone would notice me?

It's magic, I can tell

How you've set me free

Brought me out so easily

I saw a world enchanted

Spirits and charms in the air

I always took for granted

I was the only one there

But your power's shone

Brighter than any of i've known.

I'm under your spell

Nothing I can do

You just took my soul with you

You worked your charms so well"

Yuuki let her voice crest the tide of emotion borne by the song.

"Finally, I knew

Everything I dreamed was true

You make me complete!"

Yuuki took the pause where a back-up chorus would go gratefully, visibly rallying for the final verse with one last look at her sheet, her intonation on the last verse happy and blooming towards joy as her arms rose skyward.

"The moon to the tide

I can feel you inside

I'm under your spell

Surging like the sea

Pulled to you so helplessly

I break with every swell

Lost in ecstasy

Spread beneath my willow tree

You make me complete!

You make me complete

You make me complete!!!"

Yuuki lowered her arms and fell silent, not looking at the other students and hoping she hadn't let her nervousness poison the results too much.

Darrik had taken some interest at last when he noted the Demon Princess' seemingly knowing tone. Then a smile actually cracked his face as he saw the lines for him. "You've been spying on us. How else could you have known I liked this movie?"

For he had seen it in a showing at the school, and it had struck a cord with him. He got up, having contently been prepared now. "Who's the monster, and who is the man?" He opined, looking in the direction of the seated people.

Stepping up to the stage, he set himself into the mindset, letting in the passion, the doubt, the hypocrisy he saw in others, and letting him become the hypocrite.

First, came the assured sense of self others saw from Darrik, smooth and calm.

"Beata Maria

You know I am a righteous man

Of my virtue I am justly proud"

Derek and Kana stepped up as they had planned to the side and sang backup. "Et tibit Pater."

"Beata Maria

You know I'm so much purer than

The common, vulgar, weak, licentious crowd"

The counter-point: "Quia peccavi nimis"

Then Darrik drew on his feelings for Jezebelle to inflame his voice with half-restrained desire plus a dose of bewilderment.

"Then tell me, Maria

Why I see her dancing there

Why her smold'ring eyes still scorch my soul"

"Cogitatione"

"I feel her, I see her

The sun caught in raven hair

Is blazing in me out of all control"

"Et verbo opere"

"Like fire

Hellfire

This fire in my skin

This burning

Desire

Is turning me to sin"

With that admission, Darrik went to the state of denial from a man. The hypocrisy was now. To the strains of "Mea culpa" he went:

"It's not my fault

I'm not to blame

It is the gypsy girl

The witch who sent this flame

It's not my fault

If in God's plan

He made the devil so much

Stronger than a man"

Now it was the plea, calling back to that source of stability in life, where for Frollo it was faith, Darrik knew his was the Valley of Magic. No one could tell the difference though.

"Protect me, Maria

Don't let this siren cast her spell

Don't let her fire sear my flesh and bone

Destroy Esmeralda

And let her taste the fires of hell

Or else let her be mine and mine alone"

Then Derek stepped forward, with the quavering tones of Don't shoot the messenger.

"Minister Frollo, the gypsy has escaped."

"What?"

"She's nowhere in the cathedral. She's gone."

"But how? But how? Never mind. Get out, you idiot."

Derek stepped away again, and Darrik returned to the self-satisfying declaration of iron-hard defiance of the truth, a vow made in song that would not be abandoned, no matter how wrong.

"I'll find her. I'll find her if I have to burn down all of Paris.

Hellfire

Dark fire

Now gypsy, it's your turn

Choose me or

Your pyre

Be mine or you will burn"

"Kyrie Eleison...Kyrie Eleison...Kyrie Eleison...Kyrie Eleison..."

"But she will be mine

Or she will burn!"

Skye sighed and rose to her feet. She walked up on the stage and faced Serena, waiting for her nod. Skye wasn’t sure why she’d been selected to read this part, but she found the choice… interesting, particularly given her boyfriend. When Serena was ready, Skye pursed her lips into a smirk.

“Too curst is more than curst: I shall lessen God's

sending that way; for it is said, 'God sends a curst

cow short horns;' but to a cow too curst he sends none.”

Serena replied, “So, by being too curst, God will send you no horns.”

Skye continued to act haughty and bitchy. “Just, if he send me no husband; for the which

blessing I am at him upon my knees every morning and

evening. Lord, I could not endure a husband with a

beard on his face: I had rather lie in the woollen.”

Serena teased in return, “You may light on a husband that hath no beard.

“What should I do with him?” Skye laughed. “dress him in my apparel

and make him my waiting-gentlewoman? He that hath a

beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no

beard is less than a man: and he that is more than

a youth is not for me, and he that is less than a

man, I am not for him: therefore, I will even take

sixpence in earnest of the bear-ward, and lead his

apes into hell.

“Well, then, go you into hell?” Serena asked and there was a touch of satisfaction in her voice as if she were imagining Skye there already.

“No, but to the gate; and there will the devil meet

me, like an old cuckold, with horns on his head, and

say 'Get you to heaven, Beatrice, get you to

heaven; here's no place for you maids:' so deliver

I up my apes, and away to Saint Peter for the

heavens; he shows me where the bachelors sit, and

there live we as merry as the day is long.”

Serena pretended to turn to Hero, saying, “Well, niece, I trust you will be ruled

by your father.”

Skye laughed and finished with, “Yes, faith; it is my cousin's duty to make curtsy

and say 'Father, as it please you.' But yet for all

that, cousin, let him be a handsome fellow, or else

make another curtsy and say 'Father, as it please

me.'”

She stopped and looked at Serena, keeping her composure in the face of the powerful girl.

The two performances with their aids went well, and obviously Serena approved. "I do my homework Darrik. Not so much watching you, but asking around seeing just what sort of people you are."

"To be fair these were written up beforehand, but I simply wished to see how you would perform, nothing more or less."

"I have yet to be disappointed."

Aria stood up after Skye was done and plodded up the stairs onto the stage unenthusiastically. She seemed to have none of Delilah's energy or joy in the prospect of performing. Indeed, from her expression as she took center stage, this was merely a perfunctory task. Perhaps mildly distasteful, like a pop quiz.

She took a deep breath then, and assumed character.

The difference was a little startling. Without actually physically changing, there was a different person on stage now. Someone who stared at the audience with a mixture of defiance and annoyance and perhaps a little condescension. Malice, dark amusement, flashed in her eyes as she set a finger to her lips and hissed, "Shhhhhh."

Then, shockingly to anyone who thought they knew her, Aria began to sing in a rather practiced voice.

"It's the last midnight.

It's the last wish.

It's the last midnight.

Soon it will be boom...

Squish."

Scorn laced through her words as she accused the silent watchers in the chairs before her.

"Told a little lie.

Stole a little gold.

Broke a little vow?

Did you?

Had to get your Prince.

Had to get your cow.

Had to get your wish,

doesn't matter how,

anyway it doesn't matter now."

Now she was openly taunting them. Baring her teeth in something between a growl and a grin, glaring out from beneath her lashes as if daring someone to protest.

"It's the last midnight.

It's the boom, splat.

Nothing but a vast midnight.

Everybody smashed flat!"

She shrugged, both conveying helplessness, and mocking those who would give up so easily.

"Nothing we can do.

Not exactly true.

We can always give her the boy!

No!

No of course what really matters is the blame.

Somebody to blame.

Fine! If that's the thing you enjoy,

placing the blame

If that's the aim...give me the blame."

Her eyes flashed now...commanding. Demanding. A hint of dire consequences waiting in abeyance should one fail.

"Just give me the boy."

Now her lips curled in disgust...not surprised to hear the answer, but hating it nonetheless.

"No." she said, the word falling like a hammer. Then she resumed singing, slowly and with an undertone of menace.

"You're so...nice.

You're not good,

you're not bad,

you're just nice."

Pride entered her voice. The defiant flash in her eyes grew stronger.

"I'm not good,

I'm not nice,

I'm just RIGHT.

I'm the witch!

You're the world!

I'm the hitch.

I'm what no one believes,

I'm the witch!"

She pointed out; her finger marking the accused.

"You're all liars and thieves like his father!

Like his son will be too,

Oh why bother?!

You'll just do what you do!

It's the last midnight!

So goodbye, all!

Coming at you fast, midnight!

Soon you'll see the sky fall!

Here you want a bean?"

She flicked her wrist, flinging something tiny to the ground at her feet. Each time the word 'bean' was repeated, she did it again, smirking and looking down as if watching people groveling before her.

"Have another bean!

Beans were made for making you RICH!

Plant them and they soar!

Here you want some more?

Hear the coming roar,

giants by the score,

Oh, but you can blame another witch!

It's the last midnight!

It's the last verse!

It's the last midnight!

So I'm leaving you my last curse!"

She seemed to calm down for a moment, still angry but also almost sad to pronounce her sentence.

"I'm leaving you alone.

YOU can tend the garden, it's yours!

Separate and alone.

Everybody down on all fours."

Finally Aria lifted her face towards the ceiling and raised her arms as she called an entreaty outward...

"All right mother, when?

Lost the beans again!

Punish me the way you did then!

Give me claws and a hunch,

just away from this bunch,

and the doom...

and the gloom...

and the BOOOM..."

And with that she gave a bloodcurdling scream...and seemed to sink directly down into the stage...literally melting away before the eyes of the audience. Though, of course, the stage's elevation meant that those sitting in the seats couldn't see the swarm of tiny spiders that quickly retreated back behind the curtain. Serene certainly could, but was savvy enough not to do more than take one step away from the mob as it passed.

A moment later Aria re-emerged from backstage, her expression wooden again. She went back down to her seat and took it. Pop quiz complete.

(OOC Note - I based Aria's performance on the fact that she actually has a pretty good skill in Performing Arts, even if her Soul score isn't as high as Del's. smile Here's some YouTube of that song, in case you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmo5lVvvokc Ignore the visual...someone just set the music to some old Disney cartoon.)

Serena's eyes never left Aria as she performed. Kyohei even watched in rapt attention, if for no other reason than he'd never seen that side of Aria before."

"Now that... That was everything and more that I hoped Aria."

Kozue finally picked a packet of papers out from the ones he head been perusing and motioned Rica over to him. The two approached the stage and the vampire said mildly, "I have chosen a piece. It seems...interesting. Rica will perform the female part."

Once everyone had settled down, Rica stepped out on onto the stage and knelt down, as if taking something out of the stage floor. She dusts the imaginary box off and holds it out to where Kozue is waiting off to one side of the stage.

"I don't believe it..." he said as he came over to take the imaginary box, kneeling to set the "box" on his leg.

"When they came for the girl, I hid 'em. I thought, who knows? Maybe the silly blighter'll be back again." Rica said, with a surprisingly accurate cockney accent. "Cracked in the head, wasn't I?"

Kozue took something out of the imaginary box, staring at the invisible prop. For all his pomp and circumstance at other times, the young lordling was surprising unselfconscious while acting.

"Those handles is chased silver, ain't they?" Rica asked.

"Silver, yes..." Kozue stage-whispered. Softly he began to sing.

"These are my friends,

See how they glisten."

He set the imaginary box down, eyes focused on an imaginary razor in his hand.

"See this one shine,

How he smiles in the light.

My friend, my faithful friend."

He held the invisible razor to his ear.

"Speak to me friend,

Whisper, I'll listen.

I know, I know--

You've been locked out of sight

All these years--

Like me, my friend.

Well, I've come home

To find you waiting.

Home,

And we're together,

And we'll do wonders,

Won't we?"

Rica leaned over him, her hands on the sides of his arms, as the two of them sang together.

Kozue picked up another "razor",

"You there, my friend,

Come, let me hold you.

Now, with a sigh

You grow warm

In my hand,

My friend,

My clever friend."

He set the razor back in the imaginary box,

"Rest now, my friends.

Soon I'll unfold you.

Soon you'll know splendors

You never have dreamed

All your days--"

Rica sang,

"I'm your friend too, Mr. Todd.

If you only knew, Mr. Todd--

Ooh, Mr. Todd,

You’re warm

In my hand.

You've come home.

Always had a fondness for you,

I did."

Kozue sang,

"--My lucky friends.

Till now your shine

Was merely silver.

Friends,

You shall drip rubies,

You'll soon drip precious

Rubies..."

Rica sang,

"Never you fear, Mr. Todd,

You can move in here, Mr. Todd.

Splendors you never have dreamed

All your days

Will be yours.

I'm your friend.

And you’re mine.

Don't they shine beautiful?

Silver's good enough for me,

Mr. T..."

Kozue looked over his should as if just noticing Rica for the first time. "Leave me now..." he rasped.

Rica made a quick retreat back to the wings; Kozue stood, still holding the imaginary razor in his hand and proclaimed, "At last my arm is complete again."

After several beats, he let his arm down and smiled to Serena. "Was that satisfactory?"

While neither of them showed the marks of formal training in acting, they both possessed dramatic, theatrical spirits that showed through their novice status. Serena smiled, "That was great, Kozue, Rica. Who's next?"

Kozakura stood up and made her way to the stage. "I am."

Once on stage, she fixed Kuro with a penetrating and haughty stare, her voice matching.

"Set your heart at rest:

The fairy land buys not the child of me.

His mother was a votaress of my order:

And, in the spiced Indian air, by night,

Full often hath she gossip'd by my side,

And sat with me on Neptune's yellow sands,

Marking the embarked traders on the flood,

When we have laugh'd to see the sails conceive

And grow big-bellied with the wanton wind;

Which she, with pretty and with swimming gait

Following, her womb then rich with my young squire,

Would imitate, and sail upon the land,

To fetch me trifles, and return again,

As from a voyage, rich with merchandise.

But she, being mortal, of that boy did die;

And for her sake do I rear up her boy,

And for her sake I will not part with him."

Having finished her speech, she quit the stage. Unlike her brother, she felt no need to inquire if her performance had been adequate.

Free of her own worry and preparation for her piece, Yuuki was able to fully enjoy the other's bits more, although Aria's dissolving trick startled her a little and she privately wondered what the relationship between Rica and the arrogant looking boy was, reminded much of one of the Hina Matriarchs addressing one of her wayward Sisters. A smile lit up her face with each performance, green eyes alight.

No, if this was the sort of thing the Newspaper Club did, then this might not be bad at all.

Kyohei read his sheet and made his way to the stage. Without looking at it again he closed his eyes and began.

"To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them? To die, to sleep,

No more; and by a sleep to say we end

The heart-ache, and the thousand natural shocks

That flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummation

Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep;

To sleep, perchance to dream – ay, there's the rub:

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause – there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long life.

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,

The pangs of disprized love, the law’s delay,

The insolence of office, and the spurns

That patient merit of the unworthy takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,

But that the dread of something after death,

The undiscovered country from whose bourn

No traveller returns, puzzles the will,

And makes us rather bear those ills we have

Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,

And thus the native hue of resolution

Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,

And enterprises of great pith and moment,

With this regard their currents turn awry,

And lose the name of action. Soft you now,

The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons

Be all my sins remembered."

His own rendition hit all the words just as they should, and Serena smiled.

"I'm suprised someone from Japan can pronounce it all so well. That was well done."

Taking the page she was given, she looks it over for a few minutes as the other's step forward to recite their various lines, and she thought they were all good. Inspired by their various words and presentations, she stepped onto stage and ask several of the members of the theater club to read the parts of the crowd.

Taking center stage, she puts a hand over her heart, and taking a deep breath and standing on the stage, she projects her voice out as though speaking to a crowd..

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.

The evil that men do lives after them;

The good is oft interred with their bones;

So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus

Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:

If it were so, it was a grievous fault,

And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it.

Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest--

For Brutus is an honourable man;

So are they all, all honourable men--

Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral.

He was my friend, faithful and just to me:

But Brutus says he was ambitious;

And Brutus is an honourable man.

He hath brought many captives home to Rome

Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:

Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?

When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept:

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:

Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;

And Brutus is an honourable man.

You all did see that on the Lupercal

I thrice presented him a kingly crown,

Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?

Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;

And, sure, he is an honourable man.

I speak not to disprove what Brutus spoke,

But here I am to speak what I do know.

You all did love him once, not without cause:

What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?

O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,

And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;

My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,

And I must pause till it come back to me."

Even as she spoke, she allowed an expression of grief to cover her face, as the other members of the theater club followed their own lines, each of them giving the impression of folks speaking from a crowd. As they spoke, Kyra covered her face, as though doing her best to control herself and keep from weeping.

First Citizen

Methinks there is much reason in his sayings.

Second Citizen

If thou consider rightly of the matter,

Caesar has had great wrong.

Third Citizen

Has he, masters?

I fear there will a worse come in his place.

Fourth Citizen

Mark'd ye his words? He would not take the crown;

Therefore 'tis certain he was not ambitious.

First Citizen

If it be found so, some will dear abide it.

Second Citizen

Poor soul! his eyes are red as fire with weeping.

Third Citizen

There's not a nobler man in Rome than Antony.

Fourth Citizen

Now mark him, he begins again to speak.

Lifting her eyes, she puts out her right hand, and begins again to speak with an beseeching tone..

"But yesterday the word of Caesar might

Have stood against the world; now lies he there.

And none so poor to do him reverence.

O masters, if I were disposed to stir

Your hearts and minds to mutiny and rage,

I should do Brutus wrong, and Cassius wrong,

Who, you all know, are honourable men:

I will not do them wrong; I rather choose

To wrong the dead, to wrong myself and you,

Than I will wrong such honourable men.

But here's a parchment with the seal of Caesar;

I found it in his closet, 'tis his will:

Let but the commons hear this testament--

Which, pardon me, I do not mean to read--

And they would go and kiss dead Caesar's wounds

And dip their napkins in his sacred blood,

Yea, beg a hair of him for memory,

And, dying, mention it within their wills,

Bequeathing it as a rich legacy

Unto their issue."

Then she stopped, and looked at the page in front of her, she had come to end of what she had been given. "Wow, that's really fun."

"Now that, that was impressive." Serena was highly amused, She hadn't expected Kyra's performance, mostly because she was a young dragon, and while passionate, they didn't normally have a great range of emotions beyond that.

"Well, now that I've seen everyone, I think I can make my decisions." She touched each of the copies of the script Lucy had and smiled, as the casting lists were inscribed on each of them. Then she passed them out to each of the gathered performers.

"You'll play these parts, this was the play selected by our Producer."

At the top it read in beautiful calligraphy

"The Prince Husband"

Wendy- Aria

Butternut- Kurosoroshiimaru

Vizini- Darrik

Fezzik- Krag

Miracle Maxine- Rica

Max’s sister-Serena

Princess Humperdink- Yuuki

Inigo Montoya- Skye

Count Rugen- Delilah

The Clergyman- Derek

Grandfather- Kyohei

Granddaughter-Kyra

King and Queen -Kozue and Kozakura

Albino- Yukari

She smiled. "Read over the play and your parts in particular, we'll meet back here tomorrow, and start some light rehearsals, to get into the swing of things."

The Young Ascendant Demon nodded, seeing nothing wrong with her casting. If anything it was a compromise to how she would have done it, but the other way might have gotten someone hurt.

Delilah snatched her copy of the script, found which part she had - Odd, it's not at the top... - and eagerly began tearing through it, trying to get a hint of her character. But there was nothing for Countess Rugen on the first, nor the second, nor even third. Her full lips turned down in a puzzled frown as she flicked through page after, the frown turning into a full blown, petulant scowl when she finally found her first line. It was more than halfway through the play!

"it must be a mistake..." Delilah growled. Kyohei noticed her tense distress, but before he could ask his girlfriend what was wrong, she had already jumped to her feet. She barely waited for the impressive jiggling to stop before striding briskly towards Serene on the stage, shaking the script in her hand and starting the entrancing jiggling once more.

"Serene, I think there's a mistake in the casting. Someone switched the names or something," Delilah informed the head of the Theater Club, believing she was being all reasonable and giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Serene arched a pale brow. "Oh? What do you mean?"

The voluptuous teen succubus staggered to a stop, flabbergasted, setting off another wave of anatomic oscillations. Wasn't it blatantly obvious?

"Well... I'm not playing Wendy."

"Damn straight you're not," Skye muttered under her breath. Kuromaru glanced at her as her grip on his hand tightened. "Heads woulda rolled."

"Why you feel that?" Kuromaru asked quietly.

"Because Westly... er, Wendy and... Butternut... are the romantic leads," Skye hissed. "And I'd burn this theatre down before I let her kiss you on stage. Or anywhere."

Delilah's lips parted in shock, then she straightened her shoulders and tilted her chin up, striking a practiced and dramatic pose. The effect was slightly ruined by the tightness of her lips. The fierce satisfaction she tasted from Skye was completely uncalled for!

"I think I should be playing Wendy because she's the lead and I have more practice performing and am more familiar with the part - I have seen the movie, you know! And I'm the one that got the Newspaper Club to help you guys. And come on! Aria - I love you, you're my room-mate and all - but... you're kinda cold, withdrawn. The lead needs to be engaging, able to draw the crowd in, and who draws a crowd better than me?"

"Aria's a great actor," Skye called from her seat, "and I've seen the movie, too. Lots of times. I have a copy in my stuff." She flashed a smile at the angry succubus, then looked at Serena. "Inigo's cool, thanks."

With that, she returned to the script, which she wouldn't need to study very much. She knew the movie really well.

Serena chuckled, this reaction was exactly as she suspected. "I realize that, both of you. Thus I decided to put it where it would make biggest impact Skye." She nodded to Delilah, "You can't be the lead because while you might draw the crowd, I think Aria is a better fit for the part. Besides there is the issue of fairness, which I won't have tarnish my shows. Since Aunt Lilith has graciously agreed to finance this production, To be fair you and I have somewhat smaller roles than our abilities would dictate. That and in truth, there's not really alot of parts for this show."

"I cast this the way I would see it done, while satisfying the most people."

Aria didn't look at her script right away, instead watching the backstage drama starting to flicker. So she was a lead? Her lips pressed tightly together disapprovingly. Being a lead meant more rehearsal time. It meant more time spent practicing lines and scenes outside of rehearsal. Every minute she was doing that, she wasn't able to snoop around and keep her information channels flowing.

And now Delilah would be jealous of her, which had the potential to complicate her life as well, since they were roommates.

Even so, one thing about the production was just...inexplicable. It caught her attention like none of the other things. It was so bizarre that she couldn't believe no one else had picked up on it.

So finally Aria looked up at Serene and just said, in a tone of utmost dismay, "Butternut?"

Darrik pointedly ignored Delilah's complaints and Skye's muttering and looked at his role and the lines... Oh boy. Darrik started chuckling at the script. "Well, this is the role I'd rather laugh at than be played and be laughed at. Oh well, I can always argue that I was outmatched by Aria in the battle of wits, which is true."

Archived