Aberrant: Dead Rising - 11g: Schrodinger's Zed

Dawn OOC

Still in transit, James asked, "Dan? Do you want to cause a distraction and let me try to circle around and close with it, or would you like me to play goat? Or I'm open to other ideas. Adam, are you still with us? Could you open a gate far enough behind it that it wouldn't notice?"

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam listens to the sounds from Myf's radio, still swaying a little from the rush of combat. After a moment, he nods. "I can open one more, I think, and then I'll need somewhere safe to curl up and sleep for the next week." He looks around for where the rest of the supers are, waiting for the right moment to open the bombing bay. "I can probably provide a distraction, as well. Once, at least."

"I can help her," Myfwany assured Dan. "Coordinate with Adam and James. Don't go in all scattershot or it'll just teleport away."

"Adam, open a gate to the top of the hill, facing towards this spot. The zombie should be farther forward, ahead of the gate, in a position to see what we're doing. James and Dan, the instant the gate is open, go through and hit it HARD. You may not get more than one shot so make it count."

Sarah continued to lie limply on her side at the group's feet, a battered amazon in sensible reinforced clothing with a backpack and empty swordsheath on her back, metahuman energies slowly clocking back towards their full reserves and enhanced metabolism begining the oft-ignored miracle of healing the cuts and bruises of an unforgiving world in valiant local defiance of entropy.

Draygo was furious. His prize had been taken away from him again, and he was going to go get it back. The rational part of his brain, what was left of it by this point, heard and understood enough to know that someone had spotted the 'source' on a hill not to far away. The massive, pent up, ball of fury that was the rest of Draygo knew exactly what to do.

So, with another burst from his wings and legs he launched himself up into the night sky. He scanned the north for the broad topped hill and the top of the hill for his doomed prey.

As the menfolk got their act together and made preparations to destroy the source of the teleporting zombie menace, Myfwany knelt down beside the woman they'd brought. It didn't take more than a quick physical examination, as well as checking the pattern of her life-lines, to tell that she'd suffered at the hands of zombies. Another super then, surely, or they wouldn't bother trying to save her.

Myfwany poured some of her almost depleted power out into the woman, carefully reweaving her body back into what it had been before zombies knocked it askew. Where there was damage, she created new life. When she'd done what she could do, the job wasn't completely finished...but the woman was significantly better off than she had been.

The doctor leaned over her and asked, "Can you hear me? Are you awake?"

(healin' on Sarah. It'll only repair 4 bashing or 2 lethal, but it should be enough to restore consciousness)

Kristin laughed looking down at the zomb trying to chew on her muscular forearm, its teeth unable to penetrate her bronzed flesh. She laughed because it was better than crying. It seemed like she cried more now than she ever did before becoming strong enough and tough enough to snap Buffy the Vampire Slayer in half. Though her flesh was unbroken and flawless, the wounds inside were ever suppurating with the denigration she had suffered in Paradise. I've killed Hornsbeck once, but killing him a million times won't be enough...

Kristin glared at the once-man-now-undead clinging to her arm with sudden revulsion, not longer amused by its inability to harm her. She balled her free hand into a tight fist, muscle rippling the length of her arm, and punched the zombie in the face, turning its head into a gelatinous goo that refused to cling to her.

All the scars and shit of her life lay hidden beneath the surface and behind her eyes, her powerful and pristine appearance a beautiful lie.

With renewed aggression, Kristin threw her strength - and the occasion car - at the dwindling horde of undead, clearing the area so the survivors could reach the APC unmolested. When the last one made it inside, the APC jammed full, Kristin jumped back on the roof, using a car bumper for extra reach.

"Head over that way, towards the supply shacks," Kristin said loudly over the rumble of the engine. "That's where we dropped in and where we're probably leave from. And I have my truck there."

Click to reveal..

IIRC, the Supply Shacks are where Adam had dropped them in and where Myfwany, Adam, Julia, and Sarah still are. If not, I'll edit so Kristin has pointed them in the right direction.

Sarah blinked back towards consiousness as the comforting warmth played through and out her body, the pain going with it. There was a moment of confusion and potential violence as Sarah sucked in her breath, discipline burying the reaction when it appeared she wasn't going to be eaten imediately. The back of her head throbbed mildly and felt sticky with blood or something.

"Yes. I can and am," the megamorph answered, sitting up and tapping her dwindling reserves to knit up another patch of bruises, expression slightly dazed, "What's happening? Where's my sword?"

(Activating Regeneration for one more level of HL)

Myfwany backed up a step to give the woman some room and shook her head. "I didn't see a sword, sorry. You'll have to ask the guys who brought you here. You were in bad shape."

She notes the healing bruises and nods to herself. Rapid healing, like James. It wasn't an uncommon power to manifest...probably because it was universally useful in the kind of situation people tended to become supers in, and because it broke physical law only slightly. Would that make it easier to develop? The thought was interesting, and she filed it away for now. There -was- a correlation, though not nearly 1 to 1, between overall intensity of auras, and the type of powers that manifested. Only very strongly changed people developed things like teleportation or hurling explosive balls of fire out of nowhere. Weaker glows seemed to be mostly physical enhancements...building on what was already there.

She snapped back out of her thoughts and offered her patient her hand.

"I'm Myfwany Shattuck. Doctor in Fox's Refuge. Adam contacted us and told us about the zombies overrunning here. I think we're just about ready to go."

Adam nods, taking several deep breaths. "Alright, get ready. Here goes nothing."

He closes his eyes, taking one more deep breath and holding it for a moment, then letting it out with an almost explosive scream. A moment later, a large section of the roof seems to drop out of existance, looking down at an angle at the hilltop. A single zombie is in view, and Adam launches a fireball at the hillside.

Dropping to his knees, he waves a hand weakly at the portal. "Hurry," he croaks out, as Julia rushes to his side, trying to help him back to his feet.

Click to reveal..
If I'm calculating right, I have 3qp left. The warp opens, Adam dies for power, and then proceeds to lay down with the beat down.

Warp: 3d10 -> 1,2,9 = 1 sux, enough to put it in LOS

Warp duration: 4d10 -> 7,5,5,5 = 1 sux, and spending 1 temp WP to make it last another round (giving anyone two rounds to get through)

Die for power, taking another 2L for 4qp, putting my wound penalties to -3

Area QB: 3d10 -> 2,9,7 = 2 sux, so he's caught in the area

Damage -> [8]+4d10 -> 8,4,2,8 = 10L

I don't remember if you're allowed to spend temp WP on damage, but if so, I am. mad

Then I'll just lie here for a bit, if that's ok with everyone. sleep

Sarah blinked a few times to digest Myf's spiel, knitting up another patch of injuries before she took the smaller woman's hand in her own in preparation to rise to her feet. "I see. In that case, thank you. My name is Sarah..," the blonde megamorph answered, pausing only slightly as she watched one of the other male metahumans open some sort of portal in the air from the corner of one eye and collapse, "...Daunt. I was coming here to help these people out myself, but... Obviously I was a little too late getting here for most of them."

She sighed, regret at the catatrophy evident by her expression. Suddenly, asking for her weapon first seemed a rather cold-hearted thing to do, something the old Sarah would have done, not the new one.

As the blast cleared, Dan was in motion, through the portal his fists sheathed in electricity as he laid into the lone figure with all the might he could muster in a flurry of attacks too fast for any normal man.

Click to reveal..
1 for multitaksing, 3 attacks.

paying 2 for flight, 2 for forcfield, and 1 for claws.

11/26 quantum

First 3 in each roll are mega

First attack 4 successes

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877126/

Damage http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877127/ 1success 11 damage lethal

Second attack 9 successes

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877130/

Damage 12 lethal

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877136/

3d attack

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877134/

Damage 10 damage lethal

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877140/

A hair slower than Dan and with blade in hand, James leaped through the gate hard trying to nail the zombie before he recovered enough to teleport.

Click to reveal..
I'll assume this needs a roll to get close enough to attack, and another to actually do so.

8d10 → [4,1,3,1,9,4,6,1] = 1 sux. If there's any difficulties leaping there this doesn't work.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877874/

7d10 → [8,4,8,9,8,2,2] = 4 sux.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877878/

Damage: 3dAcc+1dClaw+7dGenericPunch

11d10 → [7,3,1,2,5,10,3,8,8,3,5] = 4 sux + 15 auto.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2877882/

Draygo finally spotted the zombie, just in time to see it go up in a ball of flame, followed quickly by several people trying to steal his kill. That wasn't going to happen. That zombie was his.

With a roar that didn't end until he was on the ground, Draygo screamed toward the zombie. He knew enough to not expect this to kill it outright (a thought that infuriated him to no end), but at least it would claim it as his until he could rip it to shreds.

Click to reveal..
I'll leave it to Dawn as to whether or not this hurts anybody else (or if he gets engulfed by flames or whatever).

(Draygo): Flight Check

(23:48:43) ChatBot: (Draygo) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,9,10,2,1.

(23:48:48) (Draygo): 3sux

(23:49:18) (Draygo): dmg = str +3 = [5](Mstr) 5str +3 +2flight(B)

(23:49:41) ChatBot: (Draygo) rolls 10d10 and gets 6,5,10,7,1,8,10,5,6,9.

(23:50:05) (Draygo): [5]5B

(23:50:27) (Draygo): Draygo takes 1/2, reduced by soak, ping dmg

(23:50:33) ChatBot: (Draygo) rolls 1d10 and gets 1.

(23:50:37) (Draygo): no dmg

All of the attacks came within seconds of each other, making it hard to tell where one started and other other ended. The zombie never had a chance and he learned new levels of 'dead' by the time Draygo smashed into him from above. The zombie was smeared across the rocks, though there were still bits that were recognizable as former zombie.

After that point, it was just clean up. The regular zombies were eliminated easily; the survivors found. Six had been bitten. Seven more were injured and possibly infected. Four children and a dog were uninjured. There were over fifty to bury, but the looting was fantastic.

Thirteen walking dead. Fifty-three dead.

It didn't feel like a victory.

Click to reveal..
7 xp - I gave two more as a reward because that is the fastest I've seen a combat go - you guys were totally on top of things.

Feel free to role play amongst yourselves, here. I'll leave this open for a while for fun. I'll be opening Chapter 12 soon.

Getting down off the roof, Adam nearly collapses, carefully setting his niece on the ground. She runs over to the APC, giving both Black Dave and Wei hugs. "Sweet Mary, mother of God," Black Dave mutters as he views the dead. Nodding grimly, the two men don gloves and rubber aprons, dragging the bodies and stacking them together to prepare them for burning - after carefully, almost ritually, driving a pick into the forehead of each corpse.

Adam stumbles through the supply building, finally ending up in the infirmary. White Dave's corpse is still there, one hand still clutching a shovel coated in blood, brains, and hair. Peeling a bloody sheet the rest of the way off, he lies down on the hospital bed and is asleep in moments. Julia helps the others go through the storerooms, pallets of food, clothing, and construction supplies left virtually untouched.

Sarah did what she could to help after knitting up those of her wounds she had power left to heal, feeling both emotionally and physically depleted by the fight and it's aftermath. The settlement seemed as befouled by the hoard of Zeds as Sarah's blade, but hopefully that befoulment, if not the injury done to it, could be healed with time if not here than perhaps where Myf and Dan seem to have come from. Or so she hoped. Oh, so she hoped. There were too few real comunities left these days, and each one lost was a candle of hope extinguished by the darkness.

The tall megamorph kept an eye on the wounded survivors while she worked, conscious of the fact that the infected all too often behaved irrationally and to the detriment of others once they got over the shock. When the native metahuman, 'Adam' she thought his name was, recovered somewhat she'd ask what local custom was. Sarah was simply a visitor, and the only metahuman to fall in combat against the super Zed much as she strove to not let that last fact bother her. There was no privilege to be earned for doing what one should for a fellow human being.

After verifying that Sarah was well enough to be 'released,' Myfwany moved on to start organizing the wounded survivors. Using a precious piece of her nearly faded power, she tuned her senses to that strange 'other' frequency that let her see life, and using those perceptions sorted out the infected from the uninfected. She then, using her more ordinary medical skills, saw to cleaning and binding wounds, setting broken bones, and otherwise helping to relieve the suffering. Even the infected got this treatment, though she saw to them last so as not to convey any infection to the healthy. Myf couldn't cure them, not yet, but she could make the remains of their lives more comfortable.

Finally, weary and numb from what she'd experienced, and from what was to come, she sought out Fox to give him a status report on the survivors...including an accounting of those infected.

Dan Returned from the rather anticlimactic end and helped with the mop-up. Only Then did he go check on the suvivors. He was easily able to find Sarah, and nodded, as he landed. "Hell of a day."

He looked around. "Let's see what we can salvage then eh? The Refuge could use some of this stuff I'm sure, and barring that, the survivors are gonna need some place to go."

He smiled. "Though after this battle, we're all gonna be in Isolation a little while when we get back after getting hurt."

Sarah paused and looked down at Dan, an honest if bemused smile touching her lips for the first time since she came over the ridge and spotted the under siege settlement, "I'm flattered by the invite, but I think you're getting ahead of yourself, Dan. I assume that the refuge is where you and your allies came from to help these people, and I agree that this settlement is going to need a lot of work if they want to stay here again..."

She finished wryly, "But I'd like a little more information about this refuge of yours that has more metahumans working for it than I've ever seen in one group before I say yes to anything. Although the fact you have something called 'Isolation' makes me feel even better about you already."

He nodded. "Not a whole lot to tell really. Captain Morgan Fox, formerly of the USAF was in command of a missile base at the time of the outbreak. He sealed the base and and managed to survive with a number of the staff. Using vehicles there following the crash of the grid, and virtually everything else, he survived by sending out foraging convoys. I met one one day as I traveled West, and they brought me in. Since then, I've become effectively the chief mechanic, and one of the regular Salvage runners. There used to be more coming through, trading goods and such, but it's not like it was a few months ago."

He looked around. "By luck, circumstance, or fate, whatever you'd like to call it, the Refuge ended up with a high number of "Supers" like Dr. Shattuck, myself and Fox."

"Working together, we've been trying to make things easier for the people living there, and survive this plague."

"Anyone who comes into the refuges goes in Iso, a large fenced off area. It makes sure nobody's infected."

He nodded "Even supers are subject to it, when we're injured. We've got plumbing there, so people can wash up, and clean the gore off. I generally spend time there cleaning my weapons and vehicle."

Another Morgan leading leading a comunity to new heights after Z-Day? If she believed in such things anymore, Sarah would almost consider it a sign.

"I imagine a lot of hard work and good will went into keeping that group together. Most of the 'Supers' I've interacted with on my way west are pretty territorial. Consider me interested in coming with you once we settle these people," she answered warmly as a gust of wind rustled her hair and clothes, "If the offer still stands after my mild prying that is."

After the massive overkill of the teleporting zombie, Draygo roared in victory. His bloodlust hadn't been completely sated though, so he took out the majority of the remaining regular zeds.

Once he ran out of undead things to kill, there was an urge to go after the living beings that were around him. The sane, rational part of his brain was, however, able to keep him in check. So, while everybody checked everybody else out, the injuries were taken care of and the funeral pyre built, Draygo was flying lazy circles around the camp keeping a high-altitude eye out for any approaching company. He was also clearing his head, letting the red recede from the edge of his vision.

Once he was back in his man/dragon mind and not in danger of ripping a friend or a colonist apart, he descended amongst the storage sheds. He helped sort through the construction materials that were still good, and helped move them to a staging area where it would be easier to carry them all through an opened warp gate (claiming a lot for himself in the process).

Mostly though, Draygo just kept to himself, mulling over what had happened during the combat, and what that meant for the future.

"Why wouldn't it? You just asked a simple question." All to well he knew that wasn't always the case with people, the simplest questions could be the hardest.

"As for hard work, That ain't even the half of it. People are free to come and go, and sadly not everyone is in permanent housing yet. We're working on that though."

Sarah chuckled and ran a hand through her hair, "I'm sure you will. I'm afraid I have nothing so grandiose to offer in exchange for my lodging, however long that is. Just the trade goods in my backpack, another pair of hands, and a good word with the leader of my settlement back east when I loop back to them with my findings. I was sent looking for *good* people, the kind who not only survive but aspire to the best humanity can aspire to, even in this darkness."

"First and foremost, we have to be able to count on each other and if we fail to be humane to our fellow humans if they behave humanely to us, we might as well lay down and let the Zeds take us all in our beds, worse than the Zed for squandering our humanity," she concluded, voice taking a whistful tone of quotation and rememberance.

Kristin got Black Dave to park the APC next to her big, white Ford F-350, then helped with the systematic looting of the overrun enclave. There wasn't enough people to sustain the place anymore, and Kristin kept a wary eye on the injured and bitten. She had killed her own brother when he was going to turn, yet she was at war with herself, wanting to take the bitten out now while wanting someone else to deal with it.

So, instead, she gave them a wide berth, loading up the back of her pick-up and helping the survivors and others from the refuge pack up the APC and a flat-bed trailer. She also found a pair axes to replace her broken one, but would need to switch out the wooden hafts for metals ones if she wanted them to be of any use.

Walking pass the towering blond super, Kristin eyed her and the weapon sheathed across her back. I like the axe, but maybe I should go look for a sword. Buffy used a sword, bet I could too, and not one of those skinny blades either - I want something thick and solid.

Then Kristin heard what Sarah was saying and gave a contemptuous snort, lips peeling back in a grim grin. "Men don't act human, they don't get treated human, they get treated like the raping, rabid dogs they are." Kristin spat on the ground, folding her muscular arms beneath her full breasts, grudgingly adding after a glance at Dan, "Most men, anyway."

If Sarah looked down at the other blond woman, she'd she didn't even come up to her armpit. Despite that, she radiated a dangerous sense of strength and vitality, not hampered in the least by her unnatural attractiveness, eerily combining centerfold curves and a powerfully muscled physique to eye-catching perfection. Most disturbingly, though her figure was unmistakably adult and mature, Sarah would find her stunning face to be that of a girl in her middle teens, with large, jade eyes that have witnessed - endured - too much.

"Men get what they earn, and I they haven't been payed back enough, I think." Kristin stretch up a hand, a tight smile on her lips. "Hi, I'm Kristin. Must be nice, forcing every guy to look up at you."

"It has it's perks and problems," answered the tall megamorph after a moment to get over her reaction to Kristen's slightly dissonant combination of features, taking the hand offered and shaking it, "Much as I try not to take too much advantage for my own sake any more, the extra foot and a half or so of height as much a blessing of my transformation back on Z-day as any of my other gifts. Avoids bad feelings all around."

She let the issue of the shorter woman's prejudices rest for another conversation. After all, Kristen could have her valid reasons, and treading lightly with understanding and good example was the best way to win them over to your way of thinking. It had worked on her with Mr. Shelldon.

Dan noted Kristen's arrival, as he mulled over Sarah's comments. She was an idealist, and yet he wasn't immediately repulsed by it, just abit wary.

"Not everyone is interested in the betterment of others, or even just survival. Some are true bastards, and get what they deserve."

He looked to Kristen and nodded. She'd likely never trust men again, and he couldn't blame her. It didn't mean he'd stop trying to show her men were more than what her experiences had been.

"Come on, there's alot of work to be done for these people, we should gather the survivors, and ask whether or not they'd like to come along. Then we can hit up some of the places nearby that they couldn't get to. With us here, we could find things even more in need at the Refuge, and split it with the survivors if they decide not to come."

After the massively overkilled super zombie was turned into toast, James helped with 'clean up' and tried to sniff out any survivors, then he went to meet the new super.

James was dressed in fresh, bloody, Conan style rags. Once again his clothes had taken the worse of things. Walking up, he caught Kristin's mini-rant and decided to try to talk to her when it was less public.

James looked up, and up, at Sarah and obviously impressed by her size, said "Wow."

Realizing he'd swallowed his foot again, James quickly added, "Sorry, I'm not used to... let's try that again. I'm James. Adam didn't mention you."

James twitched and brushed away a non-existent fly.

Having nodded clearly reluctant agreement at Dan's statement that some people couldn't be dealt with reasonably, Sarah was on the verge of returning to her work when James wandered up and ever-so-smoothly introduced himself. She glanced sidelong at Kristen, lips quirked wryly, and offered a hand, "He wouldn't know about me this far west. I'm new to the area, making my way west helping settlements scavenge the cities and meeting people. My name's Sarah Daunt, but please call me Sarah. Dan's invited me to see this refuge of yours after we clean up and secure things here."

There *was* work to do, but it was a poor victory when you couldn't take two minutes to say hello to an ally.

A silver warp opened up in the air; Fox popped out, took in the scene and dropped down to join them. “Whenever you guys are ready to do,” he said, “I’m ready to get you home.”

It took some more time, but soon enough, Fox was popping open yet another warp to take them home. He dropped them into the quarantine area and sat down. “Wow,” he muttered. “What a hell of a day.”

Click to reveal..
I’ll get you guys set up in 12c or 12d, as appropriate. James, you can continue exploring your new 'situation' in the new chapter. laugh

Archived