Adventure! RPG - Martial Arts in Adventure!

Snackula

This is really just for fun, since I don't really plan to ever implement this into a game.

Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of Martial Arts, as presented in the Expanded Personal Combat Systems section of the Trinity Player's Guide. The idea that I came up with was that someone with Ability Mastery (Brawl, Martial Arts, and/or Melee) could potentially eschew any other specialties in order to take a 'super style' to reflect some sort of legendary training, a la Batman or Remo Williams. Such a style would require all 3 specialty slots, of course, but would have some sort of corresponding benefits (which I can't be bothered to work out at this time).

Might be unbalancing or whatever, but it still makes me grin to think of a Branch 9 operative busting out some Sinanju on a bunch of filthy ninjas. ::ninja

I'd be interested to hear feedback on this (obviously), but I'm new here so be nice. ::happy

You're in luck - the expanded combat rules found in Chapter 2 of EON's upcoming Mega-Physical ebook for Aberrant (The New Flesh) will have just the sort of "super" martial arts you're talking about, plus rules for using them with Adventure! characters of all 3 Inspiration types. Also, rules for "Gun-Fu" in the style of the Shadow will also be covered.

I used to have WoD: Combat, but I found it to be a bit overcomplicated, while still not quite a satisfactory representation of martial arts. A long time ago, though, I created my own system for WoD ass whupping, for use in a MUSH that I had built. That was a good 10-11 years ago, but you can still find the rules here. Still not a perfect system, and the new abilities at the end are a bit questionable, but it did the trick somewhat. I still kind of prefer the Trinity PG version, for both its simplicity and effectiveness, but even that could use some tweaking.

Incidentally, Sprocket - If you haven't finished Chapter 2 yet, and see anything you like in my old WoD rule set (doubtful, but possible), feel free to adapt them in any way you see fit.

Archived