Aberrant RPG - Other Names for Quantum Gadgets

Heru

I know that I have been posting a lot here recently, but when I get into a concept or game my mind revolves around it for a while.

Okay, I need some help on coming up with a name.

When a nova creates a device that utilizes quantum to create an effect it is officially called a gadget. Truthfully, though I dislike that name and would like to call it something else. I also don't want to call it a novatech item, or a quantum item, or an artifact, or magic item. So like I said above I am asking you guys for help on coming up with an alternate name for these quantum-charged devices.

I really need help on this. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Heru

I know that I have been posting a lot here recently, but when I get into a concept or game my mind revolves around it for a while.

Okay, I need some help on coming up with a name.

When a nova creates a device that utilizes quantum to create an effect it is officially called a gadget. Truthfully, though I dislike that name and would like to call it something else. I also don't want to call it a novatech item, or a quantum item, or an artifact, or magic item. So like I said above I am asking you guys for help on coming up with an alternate name for these quantum-charged devices.

I really need help on this. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Heru

Q-Tech? Quantaware? Quantumtech? Quantatech? Quantum Device? Improbability Engine? Quantization Device? Q-Devs? Quantakinetic Device?

Or maybe you could classify them to which type of specific fundamental interaction the device affects:

Gluontech

Photontech

Bosontech

Gravitontech

or

What about Placenta Devices? After all the nova is using a machine powered by his own quantum to achieve a effect he could probably learn to perfom naturally in the first place.

Or just simply called them Quantum-Charged Devices or KCD's for short.

I want to say thanks for the suggesstions, they are appreciated.

I'm probably going to use a word along the lines of wuantaware or Quantatech. Though Quantum-Charged Device does have a sort of ring to it.

Personally, I'd come up with some "brand name" for gadgets. The main thing to remember is that (if you follow the APG rules) gadgets have a bad habit of blowing up when they reach the end of their lifespan. So if these are the kinds of things being sold to the "general public" (though I can't imagine how, since each one is basically hand-crafted by a one-in-a-million-nova) then people are going to end up dying.

This is another of my changes to the Aberrant game line. I like the concept of novas wrapping quantum energy into a matrix of a device allowing both baselines and other novas acess to the devise. It would allow in the future, for a lack of a better term, the development of a techno-magical culture. This culture would see novas creating entire new fields of science entirely base don the manipulation of quantum energy nova style, but then would be albe to create devises to allow mundanes access to them.

And yes, I am fully aware that this is not how canon Aberrant operates. But to be direct, I don't really care. :)

This is similar, in my view, of what the Solar artisans do to Artifacts in the game of Exalted.

I asked this question because with my change the word Gadget would not work and Quantum Device does not really have a ring to it. Plus Quantum Tech or Nova Tech just represents the broader science and not the actual forms of devises.

Like above sort of think I am looking for (though with different names) are the Artifacts of Exalted, and the Angreal, Sa'angreal and Ter'angreal from the Wheel of Time Series by Rober Jorden.

::biggrin :) If its not noticed yet I like to make changes to official settings to try and get the greatest personal enjoyment out of them. In a broad sense I like the metaplot of the Trinity Universe its just certain specifics that I do not like.

Choose one term from "A" and combine with one from "B".

If these aren't enough, use your Thesaurus to get alternatives for them.

A

Experimental

New

Untried

Trial

Investigational

Tentative

Quantum

Nova

Charged

Exciting

storm

B

Technology

Equipment

Machinery

Gadget

Appliance

Contraption

Machine

Mechanism

Device

Tool

Implement

Gizmo

Apparatus

Instrument

I have recently begun working on a modification to the gadget rules in the Aberrant Players Guide. Using both Adventure! and Aberrant rules to come up with certain new modifications.

I first want to mention that in my rules it is not that hard to create quantum gadgets, in other words this provides for a more Exalted-type Artifact feel to it. This is what I want in a game and thus this I why I added them in this way.

I also want to note that I both copied and modified what was mentioned in the official rules. So that while a lot of it is directly mine with my own words, I have used certain texts and informations from the core book. This is in no way me saying that I an the owner of the offiical rules set, I just used my power and right as a ST and the owner of the book to make my changes to it for my campaign world. You know, the Golden Rule :)

I am posting it here because I want CONSTRUCTIVE Critism. Comments like its all wrong (without evidence or information to back it up) will be ignored. Comments that are not helpful and are just people saying that I have no understanding of Aberrant will also be ignored.

Those saying that rules wise it unbalnaces things will be ignored if they give no reason for that statement. I want assistance in developing this. I want advice, suggestions and information. I don't want people attacking me for my vision of what Aberrant is or should be. So if somebody says that it is rules breaking and then can prove it, awesome. Thanks for that bit of advice. If you can actually point out whats wrong and some advice for fixing it, even better. In fact I will be highly appreciative.

I hope that I have made that crystal clear.

Oh, and one more thing. I actually built a device using the rules as I created them. So I know that at the minimum they do work and are possible.

The file will be in an attachment labelled Novus Ex Machina (My Gadget Rules).

The rules look useable, did you draw on the rules in APG? Also, there was the NovaTech rules here on Eon, modified from Adventure. Looking at this, gadget creation doesn't look assembly line capable, very much work of art. I'm not sure I like the thought of level 4+ devices, though. Shades of Doc Doom! Those powers are bad enough as an individual's innate power: if available as devices for multiple individuals, could get sticky, but that's a GM's campaign thing. The power storage rules mean permanent usage is hard to get, so remember who made them and how to find him. It looks like quantum devices are available but hardly common. Could give baselines a handy ace up the sleeve or useful technology for cutting-edge organizations, but not so available for Joe Sixpack.

The rules look useable, did you draw on the rules in APG? Also, there was the NovaTech rules here on Eon, modified from Adventure. Looking at this, gadget creation doesn't look assembly line capable, very much work of art. I'm not sure I like the thought of level 4+ devices, though. Shades of Doc Doom! Those powers are bad enough as an individual's innate power: if available as devices for multiple individuals, could get sticky, but that's a GM's campaign thing. The power storage rules mean permanent usage is hard to get, so remember who made them and how to find him. It looks like quantum devices are available but hardly common. Could give baselines a handy ace up the sleeve or useful technology for cutting-edge organizations, but not so available for Joe Sixpack.

I drew upon the rules in the Players Guide, Advenure! and Exalted. I did look at NovaTech but I have to say that I personally dislike it and find it useless. :)

About the assembly line, really. Damm. I wanted it to be capable of being mass produced given enough time and effort. First, I could probably say that every gadget after the first in a line would have a reduction, maybe a fifth reduction. That might work. Second, maybe I can say that assembly lines can provide a certain amount of successes based on their capabilities and equipment. It should be able to work on anything given time and effort considering that any factory that builds quantum gadgets would have to be a gadget itself.

I figured I should have rules for it because it is an actual level of power. It is definitly up to the ST if they are available. Personally, some of the Level 4, 5 and 6 powers would be approved by me in gadget form while others would not be. All in all I wanted the rules to be all in ecompassing and so it could not leave anything out.

About the power storage, really. Damm, I guess I need to remove some of the requiste successes. I want the ability of gadgets having their own pool to be somewhat common. As do I want them being useable to baselines.

I figure it depends on the infruscture that exists in society. The first, prototype, of every gadget will have to be created full blown indivdually. But as they are produced and the quantum pattern becomes more known and understand then I figure it should be easier and easier to produce. A goal would be that eventually glowbulbs (gadgets that use the bioluminescence power to produce light) would be easier and more common than lightbulbs.

I just want to make sure that the rules make sense and are feasable and are not rules breaking.

I added a number of new features to the document. Instead of reuploading it, I just post my modifications to this email.

Again, what you all think about my rules.

Auxilary Costs and Reductions

During the research and assembly processes savants must answer a number of questions about what they are using to produce their gadgets. These are a number of categories that must be added to the creation processes.

Production Number: The number of times that the particular gadget has been produced also has a factor in the total number of successes needed.

First Time Construction +0 successes

Second Plus Time -2 successes

Technology Level: The presence or lack of presence of technology may increse or decrease the number of successes needed to construct the gadget.

Type Benefit/Drawback

None +4 success

Basic +2 success

Intermediate +1 success*

Standard +0 successes

Advanced -2 successes

Hyper -4 successes

*Novas using the Quantum Shaping enhancement needs no tools at all to operate at this level.

The quantum nature of the technology used can also have an affect on the final success cost of the gadget.

Entirely Mundane +0 successes

Entirely Gadget -5 succcesses

Enhancement Modifications: The actual use (not just the presence but the actual use) of certain Enhancements also reduces the number of total successes needed.

Mega-Intelligence -1 success per level.

Fast Tasks -2 success

Adaptability -1 success

Quantum Attunement -2 successes

Analyze Weakness -1 success

MP: Engineering -1 success (with electronic or mecahincal gadgets)

MP: Medical -1 success (with biological gadgets)

MP: Science -1 success (always)

MP: Quantitech -2 success (always)

Multitasking -1 success

Adroit -1 success

Cool Hand -1 success

Hands of the Maker -1 success

Assistants: The production of a gadget can become easier with assistance of others. The maximum number of assistants is (the gadget's Quantum x 2). Four baselines equal one nova assistant. An assistant must have the necessary Ability score (Science, Engineering or Medical) at (gadget's Quantum 1/2) rounded down.

Nova Assistant -2 per nova

Baseline Assistant -1 per baselines

Gadget Assembly Lines: As quantum technology increases, novadom will learn a number of practices that make turns the production of gadgets from a workshot level to a factory mass production level. It should be noted that in canon history the highest level of gadget assembly line si Primitive and only at great expense in both time and money.

Primitive x.95 successes

Basic x.9 successes

Proficient x.8 successes

Advanced x.6 successes

Hypertech x.4 successes

With your further mods, it looks better for a more common, available to more people set-up. Low powered devices (like glowbulbs) should be easy enough to make, and economical too. The higher the tech level and resources, the better the result. Not sure if I could build an Iron Man suit, but maybe (Starktech is too cool). Used properly, you can get some mileage from this. Your society will deviate pretty quickly from standard as q-tech, if economical, is too nice not to have. I can see many industries going under, 'cause they can't compete. ::ultracool

With your further mods, it looks better for a more common, available to more people set-up. Low powered devices (like glowbulbs) should be easy enough to make, and economical too. The higher the tech level and resources, the better the result. Not sure if I could build an Iron Man suit, but maybe (Starktech is too cool). Used properly, you can get some mileage from this. Your society will deviate pretty quickly from standard as q-tech, if economical, is too nice not to have. I can see many industries going under, 'cause they can't compete. ::ultracool

Yeah, I remade the Glowbulb using my new rules and it came out to 20 successes needed. That is very much easy to accomplish.

This is exactly what I want, I want it easier to make things as one goes up in technology and production capability.

Of course in canon some of my rules would have to be curtailed and limited. But that's okay, I did this so that its broad enough to work in a lot of different ABerrant settings.

I want a time when Q-tech becomes easier and better than mundane tech. I want a society that united magic (in this case quantum) and science to create techno-magic. Look at the First Age of Exalted and you will see eactly what I want.

Yeah, companies will either go under or they will adapt by adding nova designers and nova creators. This will cause the eventual growth and creation of quantum-based production centers (which, in my canon rules, is limited to level 1).

I know I keep saying this, but I just want to make sure it is balanced and that it does not have a huge flaw that I don't see.

Heru

Making Things

Artifice utilizes a number of diverse but connected Abilities. All attempts on artifice requires a Science and, for the more advanced gadgets, a Quantitech roll. The Science roll covers the mundane aspects of the theoretical research while the Quantitech covers the more bizarre aspects of what nova powers can achieve. Those gadgets that are mechanical or electronic require an extended Engineering roll; those that are based on bio-engineering require a Medical roll. Novas can also learn a specialty for Science, Quantitech, Engineering, Medical for use in artifice efforts. This specialty can be anything but it must apply as close as possible, ST approval is needed.

Thus, the dice pool of the extended gadget creation roll will consist of Intelligence (+ Mega-Intelligence) + Science plus Specialty + Quantitech plus Specialty + Engineering/Medical plus Specialty. Yes, this breaks the normal rule of one Attribute + one Ability, but it makes sense as gadget creation is something major that requires deep thought and broad use of abilities. Thus, without the use of enhancements, a savant (of less than Quantum 6) can have a max dice pool of 28 [5 + 5 + (5 + 1) + (5 + 1) + (5 + 1) = 28, 5 dice of the 28 are mega-dice and thus count as double).

A nova seeking to make gadgets with quantum powers must have at minimum Mega-Intelligence, though most also require the Mental Prodigy: Science and the Mental Prodigy: Engineering enhancement (for inorganic devices) or the Mental Prodigy: Medical enhancement (for biological ones). The most advanced forms of artifice require that the nova savant possess the Mental Prodigy: Quantitech enhancement.

The player makes one artifice roll (using his combined dice pool) per 24-hour period. (Certain enhancements and powers can speed the time between artifice rolls.) The device becomes operational when the nova accumulates the minimum number of successes. He can continue to work on the gadget after that, applying the successes from additional rolls as he sees fit.

A failure on any artifice roll (not a failure on a single die, but a total combined failure for that entire dice pool attempt) cancels out any successes earned in that 24-hour period. Two failures in a row require the nova to start the whole process over. A botch can have a number of variable effects, based on the Storyteller's decisions.

Any attempt at artifice requires a minimum of one hour per success required for the nova's desired result. Certain enhancements like Fast Tasks can reduce this time. The nova can work as many hours per day as his physiology allows, thus reducing the total amount of normal time it requires to produce a gadget.

Gadget Assembly Lines

A gadget assembly line has a number of purposes. The main, and most important, ones are:

• The more advanced the assembly line the less successes are needed to truly manufacture a gadget.

• The total time needed to produce a gadget is reduced by a certain amount equal to the level of the assembly line. In other words, the standard rate (usually 24 hours) is reduced by a certain percentage.

• The number of successes gained per standard rate becomes standardized so as to reduce the chance of failure immensely.

• The number of actual workers needed to produce a gadget is reduced.

During the construction of a gadget assembly line, the player rolls all the dice in the dice pool of the assembly line. The amount of successes gained during this roll is the amount that will be added at the end of every standard rate. Thus, the creators of the assembly line know how many successes are going to be added to the device per standard rate.

Each day of operation a die is rolled. Anytime a 1 is rolled on that die the successes gained in that standard rate are canceled out. Two failures in a row require that the whole process of creating that item starts over.

Quantum:

Standard Rate:

Successes Per Rate:

Level TL Q S-R A S

1 Standard 4 x.95 Q2, S2, E/M1 N

2 High Standard 5 x.9 Q3, S3, E/M2 Y

3 Low Advanced 6 x.8 Q4, S4, E/M3 Y

4 Advanced 7 x.6 Q5, S5, E/M4 Y

5 High Advanced 9 x.4 Q6, S6, E/M5 Y

6 Hypertech 10 x.3 Q8, S8, E/M7 Y

T-L = Technology Level

Q = Quantum Minimum

S-R = Success Reducers

A = Minimum Ability

Q = Quantitech; S = Science; E/M = Engineering/Medical

S = Specialty

Novus_Ex_Machina__My_Gadget_Rules_.doc

Sorry for the double post. But I also wanted to show an example of my gadget rules in action.

Savant

Savant's Q4

Mega-Int 3

Quantum Attunement

MP: Science

MP: Engineering

MP: Quantitech

---

Quantum

Quantum 1 2

Effects

Bioluminescence 2

Stamina 1

Secondary Functions

None

Quantum Storage

Base Cost 3

Pool of 4 2

Recharge Itself 5

Warranty

Warranty 12 months 5

Durability

Base, 4 HL, 3 S 0

Strengths

None 0

Weaknesses

None

Power Rating

Bioluminescence 3 6

Stamina 3 5

Uses Per Scene

3 Uses 3

Versatility

Baselines 4

Production Number

Second Plus -2

Tech Level

Standard 0

Entirely Gadget -5

Enh Mod

Mega-Int -3

Quantum Attunement -2

MP: Science -1

MP: Engineering -1

MP: Quantitech -2

Assistants

2 Baselines -2

Gadget Assembly Line

None 0

-

Glowbulbs

Quantum 1

Duration: 1 hour

Pool 4 (recharge)

Durability 4 HL, 3 S

Warranty 1 year

Usability All

Cost 1 p/h

Description Creates light

I would break the one big roll into two rolls: a research roll(using science/qtech) and a creation roll(using engineering). This avoids monstrously huge dice pools that make the process too easy, while allowing a properly designed savant to make gadgets in a reasonable time frame. You still have Int(+quality)+skill(+specialty)+Mega-Int(+prodigy) at each stage. So Int 5(inventive)+science 5(qtech)+Mega-Int 2(scientific prodigy) can give you a pool of 5+1+5+1+2M+(14/2)=21 dice on the average. That's enough to get the job done. I worked out your glowbulb example in 3 days for research, 4 days for a working prototype: a new qtech gadget in a week. Things go faster if the savant is better, has assistants, more resources, etc. More complex gadgets will take longer, but even Reed Richards takes a while to make a time travel device ...

I would break the one big roll into two rolls: a research roll(using science/qtech) and a creation roll(using engineering). This avoids monstrously huge dice pools that make the process too easy, while allowing a properly designed savant to make gadgets in a reasonable time frame. You still have Int(+quality)+skill(+specialty)+Mega-Int(+prodigy) at each stage. So Int 5(inventive)+science 5(qtech)+Mega-Int 2(scientific prodigy) can give you a pool of 5+1+5+1+2M+(14/2)=21 dice on the average. That's enough to get the job done. I worked out your glowbulb example in 3 days for research, 4 days for a working prototype: a new qtech gadget in a week. Things go faster if the savant is better, has assistants, more resources, etc. More complex gadgets will take longer, but even Reed Richards takes a while to make a time travel device ...

The breaking of the rolls is a good idea. I'll have to consider it. Though I don't know how I'm going to make the time spent on the research work out. Maybe it will be the final total successes time an arbitrary number of days of research. Made easier with enhancements, assistants and aids. I'll have to see.

May I ask how you divided the time between days researched and days constructed.

I have no problem with the more advanced gadgets taking longer times. In fact that makes perfect sense. It should be harder to make a gadget the higher the power that exists in it.

Rolling 21 dice, on average you'll get 10 successes, maybe 12 if your mega-dice do well. If you need 33 successes using 21 dice, it'll take 3-4 days on each step, 6-8 days total (7 is average). Depending on your savant's talents, he may be better at research than engineering. And once you've got a prototype, on to the assembly line! ::biggrin

You still have Int(+quality)+skill(+specialty)+Mega-Int(+prodigy) at each stage. So Int 5(inventive)+science 5(qtech)+Mega-Int 2(scientific prodigy) can give you a pool of 5+1+5+1+2M+(14/2)=21 dice on the average.
Um, no. Qualities for Attributes do not give you extra dice. They allow you to reroll 10s on those Attribute dice. Which makes them not terribly useful, but that's what you get for "free". ::rolleyes

Oops! ::blush You're both right, I slipped on that one. The free reroll of 10's on your attribute dice has come in handy (fortune smiles), but it's certainly not an extra die. I'll still take every edge I can get when designing the Death Star's superlaser (if my GM lets me ....hah!). ::laugh

Blue Ninja, Alex Green

Have either of you looked at my variant gadget creation rules. If not could you, and if so, what do you think of them.

Astronomer,

Ah, I see how you split the pool into two. Okay cool. I just need to find an in-game reason that will explain the difference in research and construction time. Though I must say splitting them into the two different pools makes perfect sense.

Archived