Aberrant RPG - Perhaps stupid but well meant questions

Dr. Zero

Ok I am a recent addition to this site, though a long time reader and player of Aberrant. I also dont have the time to fish though all the posts for these answers, though they may be there. So here are some of my questions...

1. Is there an Aberrant novel? (Widget said something about it on one of his posts)

2. I have brainwaves and every Abberant book... is there other relevant info (producer notes, concept designs, discussions with the designers, etc...) that is out there? And where would I find it?

3. Does anyone know if the designers actually answer canon questions? I sent a post to white wolf awhile back and the moderator said he would forward my post to the creators of Aberrant (though doubt he did) and never got a reply...

Thanks for everyones patience in these questions. Im willing to bet they are more than obvious to a great many here but I am eager for more information as I am in love with this series.

Dameonbard

Welcome to the board Christopher.

NO questions are really stupid, not if you dont know the answers. Please dont feel afraid to ask something here.

• I am not real clear on the answer to number one. If there was an Aberrant Novel, I would like to see it as well. I think that if there is, it is probably not "sanctioned" canon material.
  • Do you Have Aberrant Underworld? I am just curious. You sound like someone who really has a lot of resources at their disposal; you will be a valuable asset to the site. Again though, I dont think thst there are any official producers notes, etc available although some here and and on other boards claim to have spoke to Bruce Baugh(sp?) and some other people involved in Aberrant.
  • Designers dont have time to answer questions. But if you post it here, as you did above, just give it a day or three and someone wil speak up and give you a rather enlightened answer to all of oyur concerns.

I hope to see more of you soon.

Asche

Thanks everyone for their responses!

(sorry Widget, thou art female I have been instructed)

If there is an Aberrant book, official or not, Id like to read it. If its crap, it will be fun. If its good, I will take it for canon. Would someone let me know please if this is true?

I actually have neither Underworld nor XWF, not realizing this when I made my previous statement. I do, however, have all other books plus Adventure. I would be interested in Trinity if only for the assorted flavor text that I could glean bits of Aberrant information from...

Speaking of which: (for you Trinity readers out there to someone who hasnt the slightest idea of what the books are like)

I have heard rumor that Trinity mentions what became of Mal and his people once he left the planet. Could someone, if so kind, fill me in on the details?

laugh Just started a new Aberrant campaign with some first time players and they are already liking it better than D&D... hee hee hee

Thanks for your warm welcomes!

Dameonbard wink

Bruce Baugh stated on the White Wolf forums that Mal achived Quantum 10 shortly after the exodus, and created his own universe. He and a chosen few migrated there.

'Universe Creation' is one of the few powers added to the APG for plot reasons, specifically to remove Mal from the scene, so Trinity writers did not have to consider him as a factor.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trollroot:
Bruce Baugh stated on the White Wolf forums that Mal achived Quantum 10 shortly after the exodus, and created his own universe. He and a chosen few migrated there.
I had thought that it was before the exodus and UC was the choosen method for the exodus itself.

...If true, this means that somewhere on Earth is a gate leading to Mal. eek

That's a pretty cool way of looking at it.

I don't think the comments were all that specific so you might be right. That would also explain the aberrants of Trinity. They were the genetic bottom dwellers Mal didn't think would ever "get it" so he left them to fend for themselves. Add in the Utopia/AEON novas that stayed to set up the quantum barrier and the Protectors colonizing Eden with assistance from the Deadalus League then you have a pretty good explaination for the background of Trinity.

I've actually figured out all fo Endeavor's future...

1: She's crested developmentally. It's as high as she goes unless she actually goes Terat.

2: She's not a power user as much as she used to be. She'd rather "old school" it to figure out a conundrum.

3: Quite frankly I've looked over how I've developed her, and I don't see how, unless she put every effort to, she'd pick up any more taint than she has already.

In other words, I'd probably be writing a fiction soon on her life on Eden... Or perhaps some other world?

After all it's a BIG universe.

I never did finish the Journey's End Stories I had set for Alex McKenzie and Sydney Holland, but to put it simply, Alex survives until just before Trinity canon begins, although mysteriously vanishes from his house one day, never to be seen again.

Sydney, on the other hand, made the decision to leave along with the rest of the novas in the exodus. He chose to explore the universe for a while, seeing sights that noone will see on earth ever (thanks to the universe expansion). He survives longer than all of humanity's offspring, and is there when the final light in the universe turns off forever. After this... Well, that would be telling, wouldn't it?

That's interesting Kirb. I had a half formed idea for a fiction involving the end of the universe.

It's interesting to note that, unless our universe's relentless expansion stops for some reason, eventually all the stars will go out & the age of light will be over as our dark universe keeps getting bigger & bigger.

Well, the final journey for Endeavor will be a LONG one. She's intelligent enough to know how to jump universes, and when this one gets old, why stick around? In one theory, there are new universes being born daily. So, it'd be an adventure of a whole new level to start sliding between universes.

Hopefully she'll have some companions on the journey, since it's a lonely one.

I remember someone doing a statistical study on what would happen if people stopped aging. Most of us would die before the age of 10,000 just from accidents.

Even with Regen, one level of armor, and Adaptability, I suspect that most novas wouldn't live past 250K. War, other novas, taint, etc would take their toll. For the truely long lived, accidently being next to a star going nova or some such would still be a problem in the long run.

I agree. Mal was a mega intellect. I dont think he would have left the gate anywhere I mere mortal would think of looking.

Could be in the core of the sun and he protected all of his followers from the heat while travelling through it.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
I had thought that it was before the exodus and UC was the choosen method for the exodus itself.

...If true, this means that somewhere on Earth is a gate leading to Mal. eek [/QB]
It could very well be. I was quoting from memory, so the exact phrasing should not be considered important.

• 7 months later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Well, Widget is a girl.

As for the rest; if you ask Asche real nice ... he knows a guy who knows a guy ... if you know what I mean.

And, ...
Welcome to the site.
Oh...Oh...that pun is so bad it hurts!

I love it cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Asche:
  • Do you Have Aberrant Underworld? I am just curious. You sound like someone who really has a lot of resources at their disposal; you will be a valuable asset to the site...

"If he could be turned to the Dark Side, he would become a powerful ally..."

Sorry...Underworld...asset...just couldn't resist...

Quote:
Originally posted by Meridian:
Mal was also mega egotistical ... my guess would be the center of the univers. Where it all begain in a big bang of plasma. What better symbolic place to begin anew?
That would also make it harder to reach, and thus would support his idea that Novas are superior and since no one could reach him and prove him wrong, it would be self-sustaining.

Kraig Blackwelder hasn't been a developer for Aberrant for a few years now. He also hasn't posted there for at least that long. The only times Deidre Brooks has posted in the last year was for admin stuff.

It might pick up with release but all that place ever really was for rules discussion, posting of NPCs and the occasional smut spam.

Of course they playtest. Read the back of any WW core book, and they list all the playtesters. WW is not so stupid as to release a game without playtesting through it several times first.

As a general rule, if I recall there are several playgroups around the world that tend to do playtesting for various groups, and occaisionally people get added to that list. The Playtesters tend to know exactly what they're doing...

ok, it's been several years since I subscribed to that group, but if they aren't publishing any more Megadots Aberrant, then I guess there are no more developers existant of the kind Zero would be looking for to answer a canon question...I figure that's the best bet...And, of course they playtest, but whose group is like anyone else's? My group would kick their playtest groups ass, and they would bitch that my players are twinkie powergamers, and I would reply that Aberrant is the twinkie powergame for twinkie powergamers, then they would take affront when I called it a 'superhero' game and tell me why it is in fact a 'sci-fi' game, and then they would publish what they want to anyway... wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
My group would kick their playtest groups ass, and they would bitch that my players are twinkie powergamers, and I would reply that Aberrant is the twinkie powergame for twinkie powergamers, then they would take affront when I called it a 'superhero' game and tell me why it is in fact a 'sci-fi' game, and then they would publish what they want to anyway... wink
Not even having gamed with your group, I would have to agree 100%.

I have been buying WW games since Vampire first came out. I belive they use the same playtesters from then. They miss so many basic questions.

"Oh...but it is not about the rules...it is all about the story..."

I get tired of hearing that as an excuse. If I want a story, I will buy a paperback book, not an RPG. I think it is time for "new blood" for their playtesters

Archived