Aberrant RPG - Claws + Explosive + Mega-Strength = ?

BlueNinja

I was thinking about this while revamping an NPC, Adam "Bomb," for the new Ab game starting up on N! Prime. The Explosive extra, like Area, deals damage to everything from the point of impact, Explosion giving you a larger area with the damage decreasing as you get further away from the point of impact. Now, if Mega-Strength auto-successes add to this, then one hit with Claws takes out a block, and multiple hits will take down everyone without multiple soak-add powers in the area. If it doesn't add, but only counts the damage dice added from Claws, then it's a freaking waste of experience.

Thoughts?

I was thinking about this while revamping an NPC, Adam "Bomb," for the new Ab game starting up on N! Prime. The Explosive extra, like Area, deals damage to everything from the point of impact, Explosion giving you a larger area with the damage decreasing as you get further away from the point of impact. Now, if Mega-Strength auto-successes add to this, then one hit with Claws takes out a block, and multiple hits will take down everyone without multiple soak-add powers in the area. If it doesn't add, but only counts the damage dice added from Claws, then it's a freaking waste of experience.

Thoughts?

I don't have my book in front of me, so I could be completely wrong, but if you have the Kinetic Discharge extra doesn't it just add the dots in Claws to your damage roll? I mean, I know that if you threw something, and you had M.Str, you'd add the auto-successes from that too, but that's assumed as part of the core rules. I guess what I'm getting at is that Claws + Explosive + Mega-Strength would certainly add the M.Str auto-damage to the point of impact, but wouldn't it just be the Claws power itself that would be exploding outward?

That's how it seems to me, anyways.

I still like the idea, though. ::biggrin

P.S. You could take Q.Bolt with the weakness:reduced range: touch only (which would be more than enough to reduce it in rank to level one (which is another example of why the strength/weakness system is a little broken ::rolleyes )) and then add the Explosive extra to that.

The Kenetic extra only does Claw damage (no Strength).

The Aggravated extra only does Claw damage (no Strength).

That's a trend and not a good one from your point of view...

However all is not lost.

Assume you get Area and Ranged for Claws. You're only doing a point of damage, but it's lethal damage and baselines can't soak lethal. You'll be doing ping damage to most buildings and such... AND this will be as a maintenance power. So you could split your action 4 ways, take 4 attacks a round, and keep doing it for a longggg time. This damage couldn't be dodged.

Sooner or later you'd botch your attack, but that's not like botching a power roll and you have personal immunity.

And with exp you could increase the damage to 2 dice, 4 times a round, or even 3 dice, 4 times a round.

Baselines drop like flies, anyone with a lethal soak less than 7 takes 4 sets of ping damage, probably stripping off 2 health levels.

Getting a lethal soak of 7 is very difficult with specific nova powers and/or eufiber. You could even make it electrical damage and have it ignore most types of baseline armor.

http://www.nprime.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultima...ysPrune=0&r=nfx

The Setting is very, very unstandard (the character gen rules less so but still not quite) so take care.

As long as I'm at is, Zero is recruiting as well... read the roll call for details. His game started, had one mission, then there was a long pause and it looks like he is getting organized again.

http://www.nprime.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultima...ysPrune=0&r=nfx

Archived