Aberrant RPG - Clone & pre-activated powers

PolaronT2MRR

If I already have a power up when I use clone, do the clones have it up as well?

In particular I'm thinking Bodymorph.

Given the way the errata in the PG was phrased, I'd say 'no' ... though as a ST I'd let you make the clone with it active, you'd just have to pay for the clone to turn on the 'morph. Otherwise, you're getting 3x the power for 1x the cost.

Now, if the 'morph was permanent, then of course the Clone would appear with it on, just as they'd get the benefits from Armor, Psychic Shield, Intuition, megas, etc.

Ok, so allow it to be cloned over with it active, just pay the additional cost of the bodymorph for each clone? I could live with that.
Like I said, that's how I would do it ... your Storyteller milage may vary depending on the cost of bribery.

I'm not your ST, but...

Clone allows you to make "exact duplicates". If the powers aren't up, then it isn't an exact duplicate. On the other hand, all clones have to pay maintence (or whatever) seperately.

Agreed, if the power is already up then the clones also have it activated. For gm's seeing this as an exploit consider this regarding the maintenance of the power, if the character intended to use the power during the scene then the clones have the same mentality. So, when the time comes to pay quantum points, the Pc may turn up dry at that point. Certainly some characters can argue that the clones would know to conserve power for their creator but as I see it there's no reason for the clones to know that they aren't the orginal and the others the copies.

as I see it there's no reason for the clones to know that they aren't the orginal and the others the copies.
<tangent> Wouldn't that be a 1-point weakness for the Clone power? I fail to see how the clones can not know that they're merely copies of the original. </tangent>

<tangent> Wouldn't that be a 1-point weakness for the Clone power? I fail to see how the clones can not know that they're merely copies of the original. </tangent>

I'll go over the power later to be certain but i don't think it says that the clones know they're a clone. The clones have the exact same memory and mindset that the original has, they can even refuse to do somthing they're told to do by the original. They'll just remember making clones and since they are him/her and are acting towards the same goal then they're not going to think too much about it.

The clone may just think "I needed backup, I made backup" once time runs out and they head to each other to merge (not that they have to, they could just fade/disolve) they'll find they can't merge with the other clones and see another absorbed into another one of the copies, then they can realise they're the copy before that they don't need to know.

as I see it there's no reason for the clones to know that they aren't the orginal and the others the copies.
That's a house rule (although not a bad one). Clones don't have the power clone, so they can't turn off other clones, they can't absorb other clones, and they can't generate more clones. Presumably they know this. Also presumably they know which 'copy' is the original so they can be absorbed by him (although this is more of a reach).

I'm sure that comes down to each case of Clone itself. Quantum Bolt can be a ray of light, a wave of sonic force, or a blast of water. I'm sure Clone lets you personalize the power. Maybe your clones are clueless about being clones; maybe they know exactly what they are. Maybe they take direct commands from their master; maybe they do what they want. Maybe they can start out with some powers active when created; maybe they need to activate those powers by themselves. I say decide these things when choosing the Clone power. Maybe your ST would be willing to give you a point or Weakness for some things, or maybe some other things count as a point of Strength.

Hmm, I'll point out that mantaining thing to my ST and see what he thinks.

Nice Avatar Polaron!

Thanks. IZ is the best cartoon of all time. ::biggrin

As for the tangent about knowing if they are copies or not, I'd say its a bit of both. The comic X-Factor and Jamie Madrox aka Multiple Man deals with these issues really well and actually it gets kinda scary near the end. He ends up being duplicated all the time and each one starts to become their own person.

Yeah, you should also decide if they each get a seperate personality. And when you use your power, do you summon back the same duplicates as before? Do they each start to express induvidual feelings and personalities? Do they each have their own names? Do they all get along with each other? Do they get along with you?

Maybe they each have hobbies they like to spend time doing. Maybe they like certain foods. Maybe one of them has a girlfriend. Are they "awake" when not in use? Are they aware of what you're doing when not seperate from you? When one dies, is a funeral ceremony held, and are you sad about it? If one of your clones gets sick or poisoned, is he still poisoned when he is summoned again?

Oh, damn. Now I want to play a character with the Clone power O_O

I once had an idea for an NPC member of T2M with Clone, but the concept ended up being too powerful for the confines of the power itself. He was "killed" in some kind of accident, but just before his original body was destroyed he created a new one and survived in it. The character could make multiple copies of himself, and they lasted indefinetly (or until they died or he called them back). And on top of that, he mentally commanded them all at once. This made him a tactical genius, and meant I would be giving him a few dots between the three Mega-Mental Attributes to represent this. When using his Clone power, his mind sort of left his body and seperates itself out among the duplicates. So even if most of his bodies were destroyed, he'd still live on if at least one of his duplicates was still around, and he was fully aware of everything they were all experiencing. I wasn't quite sure how to represent that though. Would it be Psychic Link, with the Weakness that connects it with Clone, so that it gets used automatically as part of the Clone power? And as for his duplicates being up for as long as he wanted them to be, I figured he still spent points as normal to summon them, but he never got the points back until he dismissed one, and then they returned at a normal pace.

Story-wise, this character was a good PR man for Project Utopia and T2M. He almost always had a duplicate at every T2M facility as a sort of doorman. And he would have a dot or two in Mega-Physical, making him a great combatant if he managed to create enough duplicates.

Archived