Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

After the demonstration with Michal is over, Jonathan goes up to talk to him. "I need to ask you something.... is there any way I could get a small advance on the pay for our first mission? Just enough to cover next month's rent. Money has been a bit tight for me lately, and if this mission takes longer than expected, I don't want to come home and find myself evicted."

Michal raises an eyebrow, and leads Jonathan over to a different computer. "Type out the information for your landlord, and I'll make sure they don't evict you for lack of rent while you're off-world. I'm a fairly well-known employer in California, but even if you're in another state, it shouldn't be too hard to take care of. You're not the first person I've had to do this for," he chuckles slightly, "though you are the first nova."

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Since this may well be my last weekend on this Earth, I thought I might take in the sights and enjoyments our wondrous planet has to offer. I'll be moving pretty fast, but I can take at least one of you with me on my whirlwind tour if you want to go. Any takers?"

Ash grins as he sits back up and leans forward. "Could you drop me off in Washington State? Any large city would do, I could make my way back with little problems. No better place to 'shop' for supplies."

Ash grins as he sits back up and leans forward.  "Could you drop me off in Washington State?  Any large city would do, I could make my way back with little problems.  No better place to 'shop' for supplies."

"Pfft. ::rolleyes Sure. It should only take about fifteen to twenty minutes, with traffic...you want to go now?"

Rubbing his hands together at a sudden thought, he grins at the others. "Since this may well be my last weekend on this Earth, I thought I might take in the sights and enjoyments our wondrous planet has to offer. I'll be moving pretty fast, but I can take at least one of you with me on my whirlwind tour if you want to go. Any takers?"

Eli shakes his head.

"Thanks, but there's some stuff I need to take care of back home and I'll be totally boned if I don't have a car while I'm down there. If anyone else needs a ride to the L.A. area, I've got an extra seat."

"You need me to pick you up some MRE's, Paul? I will be able to buy them in bulk 'round where I am going." he says to Paul then he looks over at his 'ride'. "As long as Michal is done with us, I am. And..." he says looking back at Paul, "Dont worry about part 'A' and 'C' of that list, I'll take care of it. Except for thoes radio phones." he says grinning.

"You need me to pick you up some MRE's, Paul?  I will be able to buy them in bulk 'round where I am going." he says to Paul then  he looks over at his 'ride'.  "As long as Michal is done with us, I am.  And..." he says looking back at Paul, "Dont worry about part 'A' and 'C' of that list, I'll take care of it.  Except for thoes radio phones." he says grinning.
Paul smiles,

"Please. I'm not planning on eating, but with this many novas food is going to be an issue. I already have 'pet' food and I know where to go for the phones."

"And speaking of issues, you getting the guns would care of another issue I wanted to address, we don't want to have too many ammo types. I'm less sure about whether or not we want any millitary explosives, I'm rated but mostly I'd run away before they became useful. It might be useful trade bait though."

"Alright then, let's head out." Providing Ash is ready, Brandt walks with him up through the base until they're just outside the front door.

With startling speed, he scoops up Ash in his arms and winks at his passenger. "Hope you don't mind...just the easiest way to carry you. Hold on."

And with that, they're gone. The world blurs, from countryside to cityscape to ocean and back to cityscape...Ash is fairly certain that for a few minutes Brandt is actually sprinting across the surface of the Pacific. True to his word, the speedster drops Ash off in downtown Seattle roughly eighteen minutes later.

Pausing for only a few seconds, Brandt says goodbye as he sets Ash onto his feet. "See ya!",he says, grinning, before disappearing again in what's becoming a familiar puff of wind.

Pausing for only a few seconds, Brandt says goodbye as he sets Ash onto his feet. "See ya!",he says, grinning, before disappearing again in what's becoming a familiar puff of wind.

"Thanks for the ride. Have fun! When you get to the canyon tell Ranger Smith I said 'Hi!'." he says waving slightly before shoving his hands in his pockets and walking down the street. Who knows what he is going to do during this time?

Jonathan heads home for most of a day (leaving the staff in his room at SGE to avoid further hassles with airport security), and makes arrangements with friends in the pagan community to pick up his mail, walk his dog, etc. while he's away. He then packs for the trip, loading a hiking backpack with two sets of clothes, enough non-perishable food and water for three days, a basic first aid kit with bandages, gauze, disinfectant, and such. He then spends the afternoon playing with his dog, using his animal communication to explain that he'll be away for a while but will come back to visit as often as he can.

When he gets back to SGE (now dormed up), he asks Kevin if he can get some basic training at melee combat with a staff. After some practice, he spends most of the rest of the weekend meditating in his room.

HERE BEGINS EPISODE 1: FALLOUT

After the three-day weekend, everyone (hopefully) returns to the SGE, rested and prepared to start their first off-world journey. Ash might even be too prepared, as he arrives late Monday night driving a white van packed to the gills with equipment, weapons, and food. (If you can call MREs 'food' ::wacko ) At 8am Tuesday morning, you all gather in the briefing room that overlooks the ring. Michal is sitting at the head of the table, with Richard and an older-looking guy. "This is Archimedes. He's going to be replacing the short, ugly guy." Michal quickly makes introductions between Archimedes and the rest of the team, then holograms himself a pointer and turns to the screen.

"The first world you're going to is one I have, for the moment, dubbed 'Fallout.' There's no sign of human civilization, and the radiation levels are higher than Home Earth. Considering that this world only deviated from our own in the last forty years or so, that's not a great sign. It probably means that sometime around thirty-five to forty years ago, somebody went and started World War Three." He sits back down, and Richard pushes something on his PDA.

"What we want you to do is spend some time exploring the area, both around where the gate is, and along the coastline to see if any humans have managed to survive. I'm figuring it'll take you at least two weeks, but less time spent is fine as long as you're thorough. Once you know for sure the gate location is secure," he pushes a button again, and the screen changes to show four different camera shots of the gate, obviously taken by one of the probes, "come home. I'll be going back with you to teach you all how to use the alien podium, so that we can see if the alien fleet in that universe is the same as the one here."

Richard glances back at Michal, who looks out across the table at all of you. "Any last questions before you head out?"

When Ash arrives on monday, he makes sure to get all the team in on moving the load inside. Once everything is stowed away in the armory (or whatever place he can put them) he takes out 3 large, military issue backpacks and tightly packs them to the brim with supplies. He then mentally contacts their 'switchboard' to get everyone down there to try on some clothing and boots he 'guesstimated' (that is such a wonderful word) their sizes on (*Ill let the ST say wether they fit or not).

Wether or not the clothing and boots fit, he hands each person a small bag that has a watch with a compass along the bottom of it, an 'unbreakable' long handle flashlight, a small multi-purpose tool kit, a pair of universal size gloves, a hunting knife, a package of tube socks, and a mini-tailor kit. Ash goes on to say that if you don't need something from it, to just toss it back in their respective piles. He does, however, insist that every one take the long handle flashlight as a multi-purpose light source (that any normal person would need) and weapon.

(*If they fit, you get 3 pairs of military infrantry boots and 3 sets of olive drab BDUs)

On tuesday Ash enters the meeting room bright and early (and eager to get his grubby mits on that laser ::sly ). He carefully listens to what Michal has to say (nodding to the new team member when he is introduced). He raises his hand when asked if he has questions.

"Can we have about an hour before we leave to get the newby situated with us? I want to get him equipped before we leave. I also want to do a quick final check on everything we are taking with us before we go. Also...what limits on weapons are we under?"

Paul collects his gear, tests it, and then hands out iodine pills saying,

"Take one. This probably won't help lower your radiation exposure considering it's probably old radiation and not new radiation, but it can't hurt and I'd hate to find out later that it actually is new radiation."

At 8am Tuesday morning, you all gather in the briefing room that overlooks the ring.  Michal is sitting at the head of the table, with Richard and an older-looking guy.  "This is Archimedes...  "

Paul offers to shake hands with Archimedes and says,

"Glad to see you. What can we expect from you?"

...Richard glances back at Michal, who looks out across the table at all of you.  "Any last questions before you head out?"

Paul says, "Yes, what did you decide about a link?"

Brandt, sporting a fresh new tan and new much shorter haircut(think Tyler Durden in the second half of Fight Club), walks into the meeting room carrying a large cardboard box...those with more acute senses of smell hear their stomachs starting to rumble.

"Thought I'd help get this started the right way, give all of us a chance at a good breakfast. Bagels and lox fresh from a New York kosher bakery, croissants and crepes from Bordeaux, some crumpets and tea from England, some lazanki and baba from Poland, and some other odds and ends. Dig in if you want some." ::smile

Taking the iodine pills from Paul, Brandt nods his thanks. He'd already taken his pick of what Ash had brought earlier, but had opted to stuff everything into his own well-worn backpack, along with some of hiw own equipment.

When Ash arrives on monday, he makes sure to get all the team in on moving the load inside.  Once everything is stowed away in the armory (or whatever place he can put them) he takes out 3 large, military issue backpacks and tightly packs them to the brim with supplies.  He then mentally contacts their 'switchboard' to get everyone down there to try on some clothing and boots he 'guesstimated' (that is such a wonderful word) their sizes on (*Ill let the ST say wether they fit or not).
(For simplicity's sake, Mr Lucky here managed to get everything in the right sizes for everybody, even Archimedes. Michal opened up an empty office/storage room not too far from the gate for you to store everything else.)
"Can we have about an hour before we leave to get the newby situated with us?  I want to get him equipped before we leave.  I also want to do a quick final check on everything we are taking with us before we go.  Also...what limits on weapons are we under?"
"Oh sure, leave whenever you like in the next six hours or so. I'm not going to hustle you all through the gate right this second. As for weapons, my feeling is to either go loaded for all-out war, or go for stuff that's easily concealable. If you dress like you're looking for a fight, then guaranteed, someone will start one with you." Michal shrugs as he leans over the table to take a bagel. "My personal preference is that you all stick with pistols and rifles, don't take anything you can't hide under a trenchcoat. It will, however, be your asses on the line, so anything you can talk Rieller out of, you can take." He grins at Ash. "That means, don't count on the laser."
Paul says, "Yes, what did you decide about a link?"
Richard sighs and fiddles with his earring for a moment. "What the hell," he mutters, and takes it off. "Fire at will, mon capitan."

"Take one. This probably won't help lower your radiation exposure considering it's probably old radiation and not new radiation, but it can't hurt and I'd hate to find out later that it actually is new radiation."

"I don't need one...but if you have a few extra we can put a few in the packs."

"Thought I'd help get this started the right way, give all of us a chance at a good breakfast. Bagels and lox fresh from a New York kosher bakery, croissants and crepes from Bordeaux, some crumpets and tea from England, some lazanki and baba from Poland, and some other odds and ends. Dig in if you want some."

"You are my hero." he says simply, almost dramatically.

(For simplicity's sake, Mr Lucky here managed to get everything in the right sizes for everybody, even Archimedes. Michal opened up an empty office/storage room not too far from the gate for you to store everything else.)

Booshya, Mr. Lucky rocks.

"That means, don't count on the laser."

Ash frowns deeply, "He wounds me..." he says as he touches the back of his hand to his forehead and looks dramatically wistful. Then he chuckles and hops up to help set out the food.

"But you are right, we should be more low key. I'll go in with that one rifle and the good ol' pistols. So..." he says, and keeps the conversation going throught breakfast.

He grabs the people who he chose to carry the bags (people other then the already prepared Brandt) and double checks to make sure everything is packed correctly and that the packs are worn correctly. He double checks his own weapons to make sure they are good to go, and grins when he is ready to go.

"Well guys...you ready to go where no our-earth man has gone before?"

Jonathan is there when Ash arrives, dormed up for a change and wearing a forest green robe with a pentacle around his neck. He helps unload all the extra equipment, then brings his hiking backpack down, adding some extra equipment (the tool kit, the flashlight, etc.) to what he already had packed. He accepts the new boots, but only packs one set of the new clothing along with the clothing he already has packed.

Jonathan smiles when Archimedes is introduced, shifting his staff to his left hand and offering his right in a handshake. "Nice to meet you."

When Brandt arrives with the food, he helps set it up, and loads a much more substantial meal onto his plate than last time. "Thanks Brandt, the food is great! How long did - well, I guess it wouldn't take you too long to pick all this up, would it?" He smiles at Brandt and goes back to eating.

After the briefing and breakfast, he carries his bag down to the armory and finds Reiller. "Just give me a pistol and a little extra ammo. If we end up in a situation that our powers can't get us out of, I don't think a few guns will help much, but I'm willing to be prepared in case they will." He then finds an ankle holster and attaches it to his leg, hidden by his robe, and puts the gun away.

"Glad to see you.  What can we expect from you?"

Archimedes pops an iodine pill and shakes hands. "Heh. No trouble if that's what you mean."

He adjusts in his seat and helps himself to a bit of food, as he quickly grins as if it's a nervous tic and adds "I'm not going to be your best combatant, that's for sure. Science and R&D are my strong points... that and being generally rugged."

He takes a bite of food, and waits until he's finished it to continue "To be quite honest, I haven't known I was a nova for very long, and I'm still getting into the habit of waking up as as a nova every morning. Let's say I'm here for a bit of soul searching, so to speak."

He grins and takes another bite of food.

"I don't need one...but if you have a few extra we can put a few in the packs."
Paul replies as he takes one,

"I shouldn't either, at least, if my powers work the same over there. Something really wacky happened N-Day, and this is before that. I'll put the rest of the bottle in my doctor's bag, but it'd suck if I had to dig it out right after we walk through the gate." ::sly

Paul packs his pack (as previously indicated), nods especial approval over the flashlights, and leaves a fairly sizeable amount of "carry" stuff out. Most noteworthy is the fact he doesn’t bring more than the bare minimum in food. After he finishes he concentrates for a moment, his Eufiber grows an assortment of tendrils, grabs the carry stuff, and pulls it back into created pouches most of which then become bulges.

He comments,

"Yep. Eufiber is alive, enough to order around anyway. Not being sentient just means it doesn't have a lot to say."

Weapon-wise Paul takes a knife, two heavy handguns, and a rifle.

Richard sighs and fiddles with his earring for a moment.  "What the hell," he mutters, and takes it off.  "Fire at will, mon capitan."
Paul reaches over, touches Richard lightly, and attempts to create the link.

*Hearing this? It's a lot worse on paper than it is in practice, isn't it? ::laugh Going through the gate I’ll be linked to Ash, but right before it closes I’ll link to you and we’ll see if it works across dimensions. It seems unlikely, but I don’t trust my intuition so we should try. Agreed?*

Paul will then lightly rest (and skip eating) and wait for everyone else to get ready (and hopefully get his juice back).

Eli enters, wearing blue jeans, comfortable boots, and a black shirt reading "Darwin Loves You" between the lapels of a brown leather jacket. He sets down his several black bags of possessions and removes a pair of sunglasses to say hello to everybody and introduce himself to Archimedes.

Paul will then lightly rest (and skip eating) and wait for everyone else to get ready (and hopefully get his juice back).
Paul thinks,

*Forgetting something? Ah. ::brick *

Paul says,

"Archimedes. I forgot to mention, well, maybe you've read my file and already know, but I forgot to mention that I've created Psi-Links to everyone except you. This isn't true telepathy, it's more like a quantum telephone. This includes the fact that either party can hang up and by it's very nature the link's information exchange is totally voluntary. Range is effectively half the planet and the only downside is it's only two people and I have to be one of them."

"How about it, would you like one as well?"

Richard stares back at Paul for a moment. Yes, I'm getting this perfectly. God, but this is weird. He blinks rapidly several times, then stares at the earring in his hand before stuffing it into a pocket. "I have a feeling it's not going to be pleasant when the gate cuts off, but we'll try it once."

"How about it, would you like one as well?"

Archimedes sits for a moment, thinking it over. He finally squints and nods.

"It would make the mission easier. As long as you cannot intrude into my mind, I'm fine with it. It wouldn't be so good to pick my brain, so to speak. For either of us, I'm afraid..."

((He'll put together a travelling pack basically getting everything the other travellers are bringing))

Richard stares back at Paul for a moment.  Yes, I'm getting this perfectly.  God, but this is weird.  He blinks rapidly several times, then stares at the earring in his hand before stuffing it into a pocket.  "I have a feeling it's not going to be pleasant when the gate cuts off, but we'll try it once."
Paul shrugs and mentions,

"I've had it cut out on me before, when we were testing it's range. Since we can't get deep into each other's heads, it's no more wrenching than a disconnected phone call."

Archimedes sits for a moment, thinking it over. He finally squints and nods.

"It would make the mission easier. As long as you cannot intrude into my mind, I'm fine with it. It wouldn't be so good to pick my brain, so to speak. For either of us, I'm afraid..."

Paul attempts to make a link and then goes back to resting.

*Testing. Hmm. Enhanced Intelligence and engineering. Are you a SGE employee?*

After the briefing and breakfast, he carries his bag down to the armory and finds Reiller. "Just give me a pistol and a little extra ammo. If we end up in a situation that our powers can't get us out of, I don't think a few guns will help much, but I'm willing to be prepared in case they will." He then finds an ankle holster and attaches it to his leg, hidden by his robe, and puts the gun away.
(Gah! Somehow I missed this!)

Rieller sets you up with a pair of 9-mil Berettas, helping you get them properly holstered. "You know, the way your robe hangs, if you cut a small hole here," he touches your back about where your kidney is, "you could hide another gun, like a pistol or a sawed-off, in a back holster. It'd take some practice to get used to drawing it without catching on the robe."

Eli enters, wearing blue jeans, comfortable boots, and a black shirt reading "Darwin Loves You" between the lapels of a brown leather jacket.

Somehow, while hanging around Michal, your shirt reads, "Darwin is my creator" instead ... with a picture of a monkey labeled "me."

(Ok folks, I know a few of you are waiting on Archimedes to respond to questions, but just say when and I'll open the gate and send you all on your merry way.)

(Gah!  Somehow I missed this!)

Rieller sets you up with a pair of 9-mil Berettas, helping you get them properly holstered.  "You know, the way your robe hangs, if you cut a small hole here," he touches your back about where your kidney is, "you could hide another gun, like a pistol or a sawed-off, in a back holster.  It'd take some practice to get used to drawing it without catching on the robe."

(leaving me out of the loop.... I hate you. :P)

"Hmm.... that's not a bad idea, but we leave pretty soon, so I think it will have to wait for a later mission. Thanks for the help!"

Jonathan walks back to the gate room. On seeing Eli, he chuckles a bit. "I like your shirt."

Seeing everyone packing up, Brandt smacks his forehead. "Uhh...be right back."Disappearing in a blur, he comes back a moment later, freshly changed into BDU pants, belt, boots, and an untucked long-sleeved t-shirt, with his backpack dangling from one hand. "I brought down breakfast and forgot my stuff. Hehe."

Sliding his pack on, he looks around at the others. "Ready when you guys are."

Richard quickly passes out the really important gear - he hands the primary ETPH to Ash, the backup to Eli, and an extra portable gate (just in case) to Jonathan.

Michal stands by the window and watches as all of you line up in front of the ramp that leads to the gate, and when Ash flashes him a thumbs-up, he moves over to the computer and starts typing. Just like before, the sense of heavy presence fills the room, the movement and noises just at the edge of your senses become stronger until the gate finally opens with that thick, black curtain hanging in the ring. On the wall, a small timepiece has started counting down from ten minutes.

Stepping through the portal is like suddenly coming out of sensory deprivation. Lights, images, and movement fill your eyes, all of it both intimately familiar and completely alien. Noises and sounds and words pound at your eardrums, and anything that might have been understandable ends up blurred beyond recognition, and phantom hands clutch at your skin and clothing, brief brushes with fur, grass, and other things gone too fast to catalog leave impressions on your faces.

All at once it's over, and you stumble out the other side. Literally stumble, because the portable gate has been tilted somewhat by the gusting wind. The dust is thick in the air, and it smells dry and devoid of life. Stormclouds are slowly growing on the western horizon, and the sun beats heavily on your backs as you stare at them.

Ash quickly catches himself as he walks through the portal, then walks around the portal looking for any signs of life and feeling out anyone who may be watching.

Once everyone is over he says, "Ok, lets get to work. Eli? Paul? You two give us the look-see like we planned. Does anyone need a mask for the thick dust?"

Ash quickly catches himself as he walks through the portal, then walks around the portal looking for any signs of life and feeling out anyone who may be watching.

Once everyone is over he says, "Ok, lets get to work.  Eli?  Paul?  You two give us the look-see like we planned.  Does anyone need a mask for the thick dust?"

"I'm good." Brandt waves off any concern, his eyes intent on their surroundings. "You guys may have a hard time seeing around our immediate area with all the dust...would you like me to do some groundwork? I can cover a few hundred yards in seconds, and scout this clearing."

*Testing.  Hmm.  Enhanced Intelligence and engineering.  Are you a SGE employee?*

"Roger that. That's pretty wierd. Test. Test. Toast. Everything coming in clear on your end?"

Archimedes grabs his gear and slings his pack over his shoulder, and accepts a breathing mask. Before stepping through the portal, his eufiber stretches to cover his skin and after arriving on location it will stretch over parts of the mask to keep it secure. No sense in risking direct exposure to anything in an unknown environment. He takes a deep breath, clicks his heels, and walks through...

Brandt nods. "Paul, now would be a good time to test your link." Waiting only as long as it takes to make the connection, he blurs away, leaving a quickly settling wake in the dust surrounding him.

((OOC: Keeping speed well under supersonic, maybe a few hundred miles an hour...I'll leave the specific amount of time he's gone to our lovely ST.))

Jonathan quickly applies sunscreen to any uncovered skin, then grabs his pack, finds room for the portable gate, then slings it over his shoulder and follows the others through the gate.

On the other side, he accepts a mask from Ash and quickly puts it on. He then begins scanning through the dust, looking for anything out of the ordinary, as well as he can.

Back in the lab:

"Roger that. That's pretty weird. Test. Test. Toast. Everything coming in clear on your end?"
Paul mentally answers Archimedes,

*Yep. Don’t know about weird, it seems pretty natural to me. It’s very similar to talking to animals.* ::laugh

Paul breaks off the connection and shifts it to the designated point man to see if the link will function through the gate with it open (and to see if something eats him the moment he steps through the gate).

Through the gate:

All at once it's over, and you stumble out the other side. Literally stumble, because the portable gate has been tilted somewhat by the gusting wind. The dust is thick in the air, and it smells dry and devoid of life. Stormclouds are slowly growing on the western horizon, and the sun beats heavily on your backs as you stare at them.
Paul stumbles once through the gate but doesn’t quite fall. He’d considered flying through the gate but had thought better of it since he hadn’t been sure how it would interact with his energy form. Once through he looks around and, to his disappointment, doesn’t see any potential minions. All of nature may be his to wield but the weather can’t talk to him and that’s what he wants. Mentally shrugging, he reaches out with his mind.

{Use Animal Mastery to summon the closest flying creature, two kilometers range.}

Brandt nods. "Paul, now would be a good time to test your link." Waiting only as long as it takes to make the connection, he blurs away, leaving a quickly settling wake in the dust surrounding him.
Paul nods and attempts to shifts the “animal” he is linked to from Ash to Brandt. (If it doesn’t work he just tries again).
Once everyone is over he says, "Ok, lets get to work. Eli? Paul? You two give us the look-see like we planned. Does anyone need a mask for the thick dust?"
Paul says,

”I’m on it.”

Paul attempts to sends a “tethering” cable/tendril to Eli. After that is attached, Paul attunes Eli and their gear and then attempts to shift to his energy form. He then flies up several hundred meters and slowly rotates the both of them around.

From Eli’s point of view both he and Paul don’t turn invisible but rather mono-chromatic. They aren’t black and white but instead they are somehow a color that doesn’t have a name. On the more unpleasant side Eli also finds out that while he can turn his head, get out gear, or otherwise move normally, he doesn’t actually control the power to fly. Like the rest of the “luggage” the flight power acts on him. ::unsure

Paul remarks to Eli in a quite voice,

”How are you doing? If you’ve never gone flying before it can be a bit of a trip. ::ohmy There's nothing quite like it, is there? We are the world. ::happy ”

((OOC: Keeping speed well under supersonic, maybe a few hundred miles an hour...I'll leave the specific amount of time he's gone to our lovely ST.))
To cover 'everything' in a one-mile diameter will take you about an hour. Everything in two-miles will take you about four.
On the other side, he accepts a mask from Ash and quickly puts it on. He then begins scanning through the dust, looking for anything out of the ordinary, as well as he can.
The dust is like a light fog; you can see clearly for about fifty feet, less clearly for another fifty feet, and without powerful lights you can't see anything past a hundred feet. The worst part is the taste, not the view, and sealed tents with air filters weren't on the list. ::biggrin Still, if you can set up your shelter, it should be more bearable out of the wind.
Paul breaks off the connection and shifts it to the designated point man to see if the link will function through the gate with it open (and to see if something eats him the moment he steps through the gate).
You can feel the link still there with Ash on one side and you on the other, but it's non functional. Sort of like picking up the phone when it's unplugged.
{Use Animal Mastery to summon the closest flying creature, two kilometers range.}
You reach. And reach. And keep reaching. There's nothing above the insect level inside of two kilometers.
Paul attempts to sends a “tethering” cable/tendril to Eli.  After that is attached, Paul attunes Eli and their gear and then attempts to shift to his energy form.  He then flies up several hundred meters and slowly rotates the both of them around. 
Once you get about twenty meters off the ground, you're out of the worst of the dust. Tall funnels of dust, like miniature tornados, swirl around, fragmenting and reforming as the wind gusts. The dust cloud from the storm covers the valley for at least twenty kilometers away from where you landed, but to the north and south you can see the dark ribbons of old highways standing out from the barren, brown fields. To the west you can barely see the ocean over the mountains, glinting a dark blue in the sunlight. The storm clouds have reached the mountains now, and lightning is starting to cross between the clouds and the ground.

You can feel the link still there with Ash on one side and you on the other, but it's non functional.  Sort of like picking up the phone when it's unplugged.
As Ash goes through the gate Paul commented to Richard and whoever else is there,

”Psi-Link mostly went down. I’m getting too disruption just going through the gate, this isn’t going to work and if he was in range we’d be going around the gate. Worse than expected.”

Paul’s tone of voice was even. This had been a real long shot so he isn’t all that disappointed that it’s working worse than expected.

You reach.  And reach.  And keep reaching.  There's nothing above the insect level inside of two kilometers.
Paul says to everyone (this should be before he left but if Brandt has left already he’ll use the mindlink),

”I can’t feel anything. Well, a few cockroaches maybe, but I don’t sense ANY birds or animals for a couple of kilometers. That doesn’t include people, I wouldn’t sense them.”

(After they get up…)

Paul glances at the storm and attempts to use his Weather Powers to evaluate how bad it will be and how close.

Paul glances at the storm and attempts to use his Weather Powers to evaluate how bad it will be and how close.
Once the storm passes the mountains and comes down into the valley, it will spread out and should be a fairly gentle rainstorm. You should all be perfectly safe where you are, says your double-botched Survival roll. ::devil (1,1,2,2,3,3 ... amazing)

”I can’t feel anything. Well, a few cockroaches maybe, but I don’t sense ANY birds or animals for a couple of kilometers. That doesn’t include people, I wouldn’t sense them.”

Ash nods, "Alright. At least that lends to the nuclear fallout theory."

Once they go up...

"Alright guys, Once they get back down here we will find a good place to set up home base. Once Brandt gets back we will start farther searches. For now, make sure your weapons are covered so dust dosen't get into them." he says, hoping that Eli and Paul don't take more then a few minutes, and helping anyone who needs it with their weapons and setting their masks correctly (im not sure who would need the help).

Once the storm passes the mountains and comes down into the valley, it will spread out and should be a fairly gentle rainstorm.  You should all be perfectly safe where you are, says your double-botched Survival roll. ::devil (1,1,2,2,3,3 ... amazing)
Paul says over the com-link,

"I'd whip up a light rain to deal with the dust but mother nature will do that for us." ::cool ::brick

Archived