Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - SuperGeek Enterprises: Exploration

BlueNinja

Apparently I'm off a bit on the distance, however, if you look at http://www.google.com/lochp?hl=en&tab=wl&q= do a search for "hancock circle, lemoore ca" and then zoom out. To the west, you'll notice Reeves Blvd, which goes up to the NNW. And up about 5 miles away is a bunch of smaller streets, noticably 52nd street, which is about the south end of the crater. So, the bomb crater is about 15km away from Hancock Circle (where the chapel and the theater are) rather than 20km.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a misc. point of clarification... would damage from radiation count as "Energy Damage" by the rules for purposes of quantum powers such as Invulnerability and the like?
This gets complex.

For normal damage, Yes, although for INV "Energy" would be a Broad Catagory.

For example: Paul's hand to hand combat while bodymorphed counts as Radiation which is an energy, so your energy defense would work... although only a few powers treat energy differently than normal physical attacks (Absorbtion, INV, & Density Decrease).

Having said all that, the kind of radiation we're worried about isn't soakable, so standard energy defense won't help much (although the ST could rule that INV would protect you).

If the level of background radiation rises too much we'll start taking damage per time interval...

Mega-Stamina 4 grants immunity.

Adaptability grants immunity.

The bodymod "spaceworthy" probably grants immunity.

INV:Radiation (or BC:Energy) we don't have rules for, but I'd say you'd have a very good case (it just seems silly to have someone with INV:Radiation taking damage from radiation).

Enough Density Decrease might also protect (I don't remember how much off hand... 4 dots?).

Regeneration probably works normally, but losing 1 q per turn or whatever gets really old, really quick. Healing presumably also works normally, but it can only be used once per scene so its not a long term solution.

And to continue the latest episode of My Dice Hate Bahamut ...

Brandt gets 5 successes on 6 dice for awareness. Ash gets three ones, and a single seven, to save him from a triple botch.

Archimedes rolls a total of 13 successes on 12 dice, including tens on three of four megas, for an Analysis roll (about the roaches). Ash gets ... three ones, and a single ten, to save him from a triple botch. So after a bit of consideration, I'm going to give Ash 1 OMFG XP as well, just for how narrowly he's missing complete and total failure.

Holy crap, Bahamut. Maybe you need to send me some dice that like you, huh? ::wink

Brandt blinks.  ::huh "Actually, no. How much can you generate? Can you generate enough to power the lighting and systems for the building? Because that would actually be enormously helpful."
See, now I have to go think about whether any of the lights and systems would still be functional after 30 years of sitting around being radiated.

[edit] Which isn't easy since the hospital isn't the hospital anymore; they built a new one across the street around 2001; the building you're in that used to be the hospital has been gutted and replaced with a bunch of other little things like the personal property office, navy relief society, tax preparation services, and other piddly little offices that I can't remember at the moment. I'm sure none of the lights in 1990 were the same ones put in when it was built back in 1953, but still ... [/edit]

Brandt speaks up. "Shouldn't we at least check to see whether any of the survivors actually succeeded in escaping and rebuilding somewhere before we go?"

Check me on this, the gate is open for 10 minutes, max. That's enough time to carry the detector through the gate, but is it enough time to get any data? Don't we have to set it up during the 10 hour wait?

How big a platform/area should we find?  Is it a problem having it land indoors?

The portable doorway is about the size of a normal doorway ... that is, about one meter wide by two meters tall, and about six inches in depth for the braces that keep it standing upright. As to opening it indoors, you have no idea - neither Michal or Richard said anything about it, only about making sure the ETPH was within an inch of the frame (if not touching it) to ensure where the gate would open.

We can head back to the church and set up then.  As long as it opens where that sucker is we should be ok.
Then somebody needs to post that's what they're doing, preferably the person carrying the portable doorway, or someone willing to go get the other one that's a few miles away.

Brandt speaks up. "Well, since I much prefer this location to the chapel, I think we should go ahead and set it up here. Be right back."

In his usual blur, he's gone, only to return seconds later with the gate components laid out neatly on the floor.

Chewing on a candy bar, he gestures with his free hand. "Have at it." ::biggrin

Brandt speaks up. "Well, since I much prefer this location to the chapel, I think we should go ahead and set it up here. Be right back."

In his usual blur, he's gone, only to return seconds later with the gate components laid out neatly on the floor.

Chewing on a candy bar, he gestures with his free hand. "Have at it." ::biggrin

Having trouble keeping the threads apart?

Ash shakes his head as he clicks the radio again.  "No, we should be fine for now.  We are slightly irradiated though, so warn Richard to wear a radiation suit when he comes."
The radiation levels where you guys have been at don't become dangerous unless you stay there for months; a few days isn't enough to threaten a baseline, let alone a nova. Some of you have Mega-Stam high enough that you could go stand in the middle of the crater (or, in Paul's case, fly there) for a few months and still not get even a mild dose.

The hotmail account in your EON profile? I couldn't see how you attach files here.
Yeah ... as I told a number of people earlier in the thread, my hotmail likes nobody, so use the yahoo or g-mail ones I posted. I have the sheet now, and I will think about the phobia and get back to you tomorrow.

Assuming Expendable is accepted, the game is full! No further players allowed!

There is another option for Brant: He could attune Paul, and Paul could attune him.  Superspeed running (can you fly?) while invisible and with a forcefield of sorts.

That is a good idea, but to get there fast enough, Brandt will have to go hypersonic, which means there will be a sonic boom.

And can they even attune each other like that? Won't it like, tear a hole in the quantum structure of the universe? ::ohmy

Seriously though, I'd never thought of novas attuning each other like that, that's some wicked stuff.

That is a good idea, but to get there fast enough, Brandt will have to go hypersonic, which means there will be a sonic boom.

And can they even attune each other like that? Won't it like, tear a hole in the quantum structure of the universe? ::ohmy

Seriously though, I'd never thought of novas attuning each other like that, that's some wicked stuff.

RE: Sonic Boom.

So? Paul would be immune to that effect, or at least as immune as you are.

RE: 2x Attunement

Me giving you invis & FF (both of which remain my power and under my control) and you giving me Hypermove (which remains under your control) isn't that big of a stretch considering we can just apply standard rules.

Where it gets odd is if you FF and I have FF and we both give it to each other. Or if you have Immolate:Fire and I have Immolate:Ice and we both turn them on at the same time. Or if you have Hypermove and I have Teleport and I use it (splat).

All of those involve powers that conflict or interact, but as far as I know ours don't. You wouldn't even have your density change.

RE: Sonic Boom.

So?  Paul would be immune to that effect, or at least as immune as you are.

I was actually just referring to the rather audible sound of it drawing attention. I wasn't worried about it hurting you.

RE: 2x Attunement

Me giving you invis & FF (both of which remain my power and under my control) and you giving me Hypermove (which remains under your control) isn't that big of a stretch considering we can just apply standard rules.

Where it gets odd is if you FF and I have FF and we both give it to each other.  Or if you have Immolate:Fire and I have Immolate:Ice and we both turn them on at the same time.  Or if you have Hypermove and I have Teleport and I use it (splat).

All of those involve powers that conflict or interact, but as far as I know ours don't.  You wouldn't even have your density change.

Coolio. No FF here, so that's not a problem. But I wouldn't recommend letting go of Brandt at full speed...

Well, until someone makes a decision or leaves, I can't post anything to further the storyline.

Anyone seen Jason or Anon listed as being online in the last few days?

Sorry about my absence. The motherboard on my computer died and then my broadband internet connection stopped getting sync because of problems on my phone line. That seems to be working now, but I can't afford to repair my computer, so I had to ressurect my 9 year old computer to use in the mean time (from back when I started RPing in TK!).

Lo and behold the mouse port doesn't work anymore, so I have to repair that, and I'm NOT doing that tonight. I'll try to start having IC posts again tomorrow after I get home...

“I can take up to two, one attuned and invisible, one carried.”
You can easily carry one person, because while you technically have the strength to lift them, you're not used to carrying two people. If you had some Mega-Strength, then you could carry two people. (Heck, three people if you don't mind doing it Fezzig style.) If you wanted to carry two people, you'd have to stop about every twenty minutes to rest your arms before continuing. Attuning them doesn't make their weight vanish, it just makes your flight work on them, but you still have to use your strength to carry the weight the same as if you had 100kg backpack full of supplies.

{Although granted, you can rule otherwise but... I'd like to appeal that, i.e. argue that I'd only be carrying one with the other one's mass nulled out because he is flying (just like me)}

The "must be carried" part is consistent with the core book's description of attune. However the APG did a serious revamp/alteration/clarification on this subject. An attuned object can be affected by the nova's powers as though it were part of his body (that's not an exact quote and my books aren't here, I'll look it up when I get home). As long as the extra mass is flying, whether or not I can lift it doesn't matter because it's effectively part of my body.

For example, if Nova "X" has a Strength of 1 (or zero), and teleport, and Attune 5, he can still carry/teleport with another person's mass even if he can't lift that mass. It's a power thing; physical strength doesn't come into play.

For another example, if Nova "Y" has Strength 1 (or maybe even zero) because of Q-Vampire, even if he weighs many tons he can still fly. That he doesn't have the strength to lift a mass that heavy doesn't come into play because flight affects his body and his power to fly in this case is totally unaffected since its related attribute is Dex.

--EDIT--

Of course it also just became a moot point. With two novas staying I'm carrying one.

Here we go. APG page 77, "Novas may also use their powers on attuned objects as if they were extensions of their own bodies."

This just begs for someone to make a weapon oriented attument character with immolate, armor, and forcefield (to make his weapons unbreakable and do more damage, maybe even agg damage).

A pity it's only "powers". If it were "powers and mega-stats" then someone could use regeneration on someone else... although that might be the point.

Speaking of APG upgrades, the other background which really got a big increase in power was "Eufiber". Eufiber's attunement is *much* better than normal attunement since it does get mega-stats (or at least mega-stamina).

{Although granted, you can rule otherwise but... I'd like to appeal that, i.e. argue that I'd only be carrying one with the other one's mass nulled out because he is flying (just like me)}
It is not the mass that is the problem, it is the logistical difficulty of carrying two human bodies. The easiest way to carry another person (Fireman's carry) completely prohibits you from carrying or even holding onto another person. If you depend on them to anchor themselves to you, then you face the difficulty of what happens should their grip falter when you're two hundred feet in the air and moving at 150 mph. Characters with mega-strength could easily toss a person under each arm or over each shoulder and not even blink an eye, but characters with normal strength aren't that lucky.
Here we go. APG page 77, "Novas may also use their powers on attuned objects as if they were extensions of their own bodies."

This just begs for someone to make a weapon oriented attument character with immolate, armor, and forcefield (to make his weapons unbreakable and do more damage, maybe even agg damage).

A pity it's only "powers". If it were "powers and mega-stats" then someone could use regeneration on someone else... although that might be the point.

Speaking of APG upgrades, the other background which really got a big increase in power was "Eufiber". Eufiber's attunement is *much* better than normal attunement since it does get mega-stats (or at least mega-stamina).

Attunement works as far as mega-strength, because attuned weapons will not break if you use mega-strength beyond their normal breaking points. That doesn't mean you can use enhancements on attuned items, but I'll have to think about how attuned items would benefit from a nova's mega-stam.

Archived