Aberrant RPG - Social Aspects of Taint

Gryffen

I know the rule book states that once a nova reaches a taint level of 4 they get a social penalty - an increased difficulty when interacting with baselines and novas with a lower permanent taint score. (a penalty that increases every other taint level from this point on)

It is described as the baseline/lower taint nova (henceforth termed 'target') feels uncomfortable in the presence of the tainted nova - with disgust, hatred and fear as possible emotions experienced.

I also see it as stemming from the target feeling uncertain - they cannot read what this tainted monster will do next and that puts them in a position they would rather not deal with.

I can see why this would cause added social difficulties in 'positive' social interactions (persuasion, lying, command, trust, seduction, etc).

It just seems to me that causing a feeling of uncertainty, fear, or such like would only improve the chances of a successful result from 'negative' social interactions (intimidation, interrogation).

I realise that this adds a level of complexity to the social impact of taint, but I think it would be more representative to give a social bonus in the case of 'negative' interactions that is equal to the social penalty experienced in 'positive' interactions.

Comments/thoughts anyone?

It depends.

“Fear” works very well with Intimidation and might give you auto succ (note Shear Hideousness is roughly equivalent to “Face of Terror”).

But…

If your taint=7 problems manifest as “Perfect Looks”, “Anima Banner: Your clothes turn invisible and/or Everyone sees you as their object of desire”, “Harmon Imbalance: Lust”, and “Feeding requirement: Sex”…then while you have real problems interacting with normals I don’t see how that’s going to help your Intimidation roll. Possibly not even your seduction roll.

Similarly if you are a puddle of green slim who is stuck unmoving on the floor your appearance may make people flee but I don’t know if it could ever make them cooperate.

Re: Taint-derived social problems for novas-

Sounds like the social problems encountered by a particular nova will likely have to be customized to his/her particular circumstances. But from taking another look at the setting material, that sort of thing is clearly what the writers had in mind in the first place. ::devil

• 1 year later...

Given at least part of the limitation is due to the *nova* no longer being as adept at reading 'human' social qeues, it makes sense. Sure, if your a terrifying monster you can get people to run, but thats not a social interaction, per se.

That said, I tend to think that Taint social penalties should be reduced or ignored when using megasocial enhancements. Of course, if your always using megasocials on baselines, your still not engaging in healthy socialization, your doing what amounts to headwhacking them.

Given at least part of the limitation is due to the *nova* no longer being as adept at reading 'human' social qeues, it makes sense. Sure, if your a terrifying monster you can get people to run, but thats not a social interaction, per se.

More accurately, the nova just don't care as much. They're just baseline, why should they matter? The nova is no longer human, knows it, and knows he's better than the baseline. Something to consider...

FR

Nope; it applies to most novas after a certain Q has been reached. It's just that they can't understand baselines anymore...After all, if I can get to somewhere without using a vehicle, I'm not going to be able to understand driving as much.

Can you really understand cuisine if you don't need to eat? Can you understand sickness if you no longer even suffer sniffles? Is sex the same if you can experience more than your partner does?

That difference is major; it also further alienates the nova. And that's something you need to consider...

FR

Archived