Aberrant RPG - Lvl 3 Q requirement as a lvl 2 power

Bahamut810

I was just looking over my books (again), and I came across a problem. Lets say that you take a lvl 3 power (like shapechange) and you assign it enough points in weaknesses to make it a lvl 2 power (like you can only shapechange into a mouse). Does that Quantum requirement go down accordingly (for the lvl 2 power)? Did I miss something?

Did I miss something?

No - it's just that the strengths / weaknesses rules are very hastily & pretty poorly written. It'd be nice to think we could get some better rules in a revised version - but it's all gone D20 now... ::rolleyes

To answer the question - Nullifier is correct: there's nothing in the rules to say the Q-Minimum goes down. Now that's probably a good thing (after all, it'd be pretty easy to weakness a Quantum Inferno or other high-level power down to level 1 if the Q-minimums didn't apply - I know I could do it, & even make it look reasonable at first glance... ::wink ), but (as usual) in the end it kinda' depends on the style of game your ST wants to run (& you want to play in). For some high-powered / four-colour style games the ability to destroy a planet, for a starting character, if he really wants to, may be absolutely fine.

I'd have prefered a strengths / weaknesses system better linked to the existing Extras system myself; & also one with some interesting options (rather than 'minus 5 dots to range, plus 5 dots to damage', etc.). Let's face it, any supers game worth the name should have been able to at least rip-off a decent power-customisation system from Champions... ::sly

Q min and Level are not related except in the most general of fassions, so I'd say that reducing the level doesn't change the Q-min.

Example: There is already a cannon example of Q6 L3 power.

I personally would like to see a +5 Strength, "Reduced Q-Min by 1".

• 5 weeks later...

The Q-minimum does not go down, for reasons of game balance.

In many cases, it is reasonable for the ST to allow a reduction in the Q-minimum for level-reduced powers. For example, if a character with Healing wants only the Age Alteration technique from Temporal Manipulation, usable only on living organic materials, he should not need to go from Q4 to Q5 first.

But once you make a rule for it, you'll see starting characters with level 4+ powers reduced through waknesses.

• 2 years later...

Archived