Aberrant: War Journal - War Journal

Heritage

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jamie steps through the portal, immediately starting to creep forward in a half-crouch. Two knives appear in his hand almost as if from nowhere - one held in the traditional sword grip - the other in reverse, the blade almost running counter to the natural line of his arm. His eyes scanned constantly as he watched his surroundings.

Base X-4:

Seeing that at this point no missiles have come shriekng into the mountain, Colby sends Daniels back to his bunk to get himself ready for Yellow Alert status, and takes over monitor duty herself. Suddenly she says out loud:

Sh!t, now I've got to get dressed!

She reaches under the monitor station and pulls out a musty set of BDUs, shakes the dust off, and starts pulling them on right over her t-shirt and sleepy pants. She's got the pants about halfway up when there's a chime from the Green Screen; Colby peers over, then suddenly goes pale.

Holy sh!t - they're sending Captain Delacroix.

OOC: Other than any talkative PCs, C&C is now empty, as all regular base personnel are in their rooms with their full kit, awaiting orders or a return to Condition: Green.

The Recon:

Epstein darts forward, moving from shadow to shadow quiet as a whisper. When she gets to the eastern bank of the creek, she signals a stop and slings her rifle over her shoulder. Once the senior Scouts are close, she points towards the southwest, leaning in close to speak softly.

The detection perimeter begins just across Soup Creek, which is also where the KT mines start. Mostly they tie them around trees just below waist level under a bit of camo, but sometimes they bury them under the surface along trails. How do you want to procede, sirs?

Walter hightails it to his quarters and quickly double checks his gear is still in place. Carefully unpacking trip wires and a few other pieces vital to his newest obsession. Glancing around with a smile, he places them in familiar uniform pouches adding them to his belt. Then pulling out the clips from his belt pouch he makes sure each is fully loaded and his sidearm is loaded with the safety on.

Heading back towards C&C, Walter walks in as Colby is checking the Green Screen...

"Capt. Delacroix.. who's that ma'am?"

(I thought I had already posted this, but apparently not…)

Lobe is going to stick around in the C&C (having never actually gone to sleep or changed out of his uniform) and don a path radio to ensure he stays within ‘radio’ contact with the recon team in case they need medical assistance or quick extraction.

Sh!t, now I've got to get dressed!

Lobe looks up, “Need any help? ::cool ”

“Who’s that?”

(I thought I had already posted this, but apparently not…)

OOC: I was just making sure we were all on the same page. ::thumbsup

Lobe looks up, “Need any help? ::cool”

Hardy-fcking-har, sir. ::rolleyes ::biggrin

"Capt. Delacroix.. who's that ma'am?"
“Who’s that?”

Colby continues to get dressed, only now with a lot more urgency.

Captain Eugene Delacroix III is the man they send in when things are so fcked up, they need a good b!tch-slapping to fix. He's big and smart, which is a damn scary combination. And don't call me 'ma'am', dude, you outrank me.

She stops her frantic preparations and smiles.

That's 'Sergeant Major Dude', obviously. ::blush Can one of you watch the monitors while I run for some shoes? ::halo

Walter raises an eyebrow, "And I was just trying to be polite. Didn't have a thing to do with rank at all. And Sergent Major Dude works but my name is Walter or if you insist Sergent Major O'Reilly. And most certainly, I will take a watch on the screen while you run for your boots. Wouldn't want Captain Delacroix to get the wrong impression of you when he arrives..."

Walter raises an eyebrow, "And I was just trying to be polite. Didn't have a thing to do with rank at all. And Sergent Major Dude works but my name is Walter or if you insist Sergent Major O'Reilly. And most certainly, I will take a watch on the screen while you run for your boots. Wouldn't want Captain Delacroix to get the wrong impression of you when he arrives..."

Colby sighs.

Sorry, Walter - I wasn't trying to be a pill. And thanks.

"Hmm...I didnt think that the situation was zo dire we needed hem...Ah well."

What, you think the 'grudge match of the century' was a good idea? ::sly Back in a sec.

She books down the hallway back to her quarters just as the inhuman voice hums over the intercom.

Imminent t-port from Battalion HQ, arriving in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…

Out of the t-port strides a large African-American man, nearly 7 feet tall and probably weighing in the vicinity of four hundred pounds, all of it muscle. He's dressed in a crisp RA unifrom with captain's bars, his helmet tucked under his left arm and a bulging leather portfolio under his right. A smart green cap is perched on his clean shaven head, and he sports a well-trimed goatee. His skin is an unusual purple-black shade, which almost seems to pulse from within. His large dark eyes display a piercing intelligence as they dart around the C&C, taking in the room and its inhabitants. Spotting Frenchie, he gives him a short nod and speaks in a deep authoritative tone.

At ease, sergeant.

He nods at the others in turn.

Lieutenant, sergeant major.

He cracks a small grin and holds out a large hand.

Nice to see you again, Frenchie.

He continues his examination of the command center.

If someone would be so kind as to send someone into the t-port and grab my bags, I'd like to get settled in as soon as possible.

He glares up at the blinking Yellow Alert lights.

And turn off those damn lights! They're irritating.

At ease, sergeant.

Frenchie smiles as relaxes.

He cracks a small grin and holds out a large hand.

Nice to see you again, Frenchie.

frenchie takes it and shakes like an old friend, clapping him on the shoulder. "It iz good to see you too. Zou Im a bit suprised they would send you for such a minor assignment such as zees. "

If someone would be so kind as to send someone into the t-port and grab my bags, I'd like to get settled in as soon as possible.

Frenchie smiles. "Yes...Eh Colby...what is his room? Ill help him settle in."

He walks over and easily grabs the the old boffers bags and shows him where his room is.

Walter gives the man a salute a moment before being acknowledged (as would be proper). Then he promptly goes back to watching the Green Screen as he promised Colby he would.

"Will do, sir, " Walter looks for the appropriate switch/button for the lights and turns them off. Then he turns his attention back to the screen, pondering for a moment before attempting to see if any of his friends from former posts are about.

frenchie takes it and shakes like an old friend, clapping him on the shoulder. "It iz good to see you too. Zou Im a bit suprised they would send you for such a minor assignment such as zees. "

The captain smiles.

No assignments are minor - least that's what I tell myself. ::biggrin No, this might look small, but that's only because it's new, hasn't had a chance to reach its full potential.

Kelso appears, his uniform immaculate, looking like he somehow managed to polish his hair. He practically snaps his heels when he salutes.

Captain Delacroix, sir!

The captain swivels his eyes towards Kelso, and returns his salute.

First Sergeant. ::rolleyes

Frenchie smiles. "Yes...Eh Colby...what is his room? Ill help him settle in."

Colby scoots into the room just in time to answer Frenchie's question...sort of.

Uhhh, I'm not sure exactly-

She suddenly pales, turns and salutes Delacroix.

Captain Delacroix, sir! Welcome to X4, sir.

Delacroix grins and returns her salute.

Thank you, sergeant, at ease. I realize my coming here was rather sudden, so I'm not expecting any kind of red carpet treatment.

He put his helmet on the monitor station and zips open his portfolio.

In reading the various reports filled from X4, I believe that I read...Mr. Jubersky hasn't been using his assigned quarters, has he?

Colby's mouth starts working soundlessly, and Kelso couldn't look more triumphant.

That's correct, sir - as I'm sure you read in my report-

Mr. Jubersky's room will be fine for now - please put my bags in there, Frenchie

"Will do, sir, " Walter looks for the appropriate switch/button for the lights and turns them off. Then he turns his attention back to the screen, pondering for a moment before attempting to see if any of his friends from former posts are about.

Thank you, sergeant major. May I use your com for a second?

He leans over and activates the base intercom.

This is Captain Eugene Delacroix - would all base personnel please report to C&C in five minutes. Thank you.

He walks over and easily grabs the old boffers bags and shows him where his room is.

Delacroix starts to follow Frenchie.

See you all back here in five.

He leans over and activates the base intercom.

This is Captain Eugene Delacroix - would all base personnel please report to C&C in five minutes. Thank you.

He walks over and easily grabs the old boffers bags and shows him where his room is. 

Havoc walks into C&C and nods at Walter

"Sergeant Major.."

The giant (and unharmed) Green then leans against the wall and waits for the others, arms crossed.

Havoc walks into C&C and nods at Walter

"Sergeant Major.."

The giant (and unharmed) Green then leans against the wall and waits for the others, arms crossed.

Colby's jaw nearly hits the floor when Havoc casually saunters in.

Holy sh!t, he's alive! No offense, but I thought you were toast, Havoc! So how's the other guy look?

Colby's jaw nearly hits the floor when Havoc casually saunters in.

Holy sh!t, he's alive! No offense, but I thought you were toast, Havoc! So how's the other guy look?

Havoc shrugs

"He thinks he killed me, I let him live. He showed decency before Julia, unlike the Frog - Havocs voice lowers and sends a bit of a chill down Colby's spine - and the Greens don't need to lose any well meaning soldiers...however misguided they may be. I'm hoping he vented his frustration out there, my patience only goes so far..."

Walter nods to Havoc, but turns his attention back towards the Green Screen not missing a beat as he types out a message. Chuckling a moment, Walter glances around and continues typing. A few moments later, before Capt. Delacroix comes back, Walter finishes typing and leans back in the chair watching the Green Screen.

Out of the t-port strides a large African-American man, nearly 7 feet tall and probably weighing in the vicinity of four hundred pounds, all of it muscle. He's dressed in a crisp RA unifrom with captain's bars, his helmet tucked under his left arm and a bulging leather portfolio under his right. A smart green cap is perched on his clean shaven head, and he sports a well-trimed goatee. His skin is an unusual purple-black shade, which almost seems to pulse from within. His large dark eyes display a piercing intelligence as they dart around the C&C, taking in the room and its inhabitants. Spotting Frenchie, he gives him a short nod and speaks in a deep authoritative tone.

At the time of the Captain's arrival, Lobe is sitting comfortably in a chair in the C&C room, legs propped up on the console and drinking coffee from his mug.

At this, Lobe slowly stands up (not wanting to spill his coffee), holding his coffee in one hand and still wearing the path radio, and cordially nods.

Lobe sits back down and looks back at the screens, "Man, who does that guy think he is, a general or somethin'?"

Pvts. Chambers, Daniels and Mortimer slip quietly into C&C, wearing their full kit with G-1s over their shoulders, and lean against the wall in a group, whispering nervously among themselves. Doc Scoville makes his second appearance, adding a blanket around his shoulders to the ensemble, looking miserable. Jubersky steps out of the engine room, rubbing his face with his palm and blinking like a hermit. Kelso looks smug, like the dog who's finally having his day.

Everyone notices Havoc, and the privates start to whisper much more animatedly, shooting him wide-eyed glances.

At last, Delacroix returns to C&C, still wearing his cap and toting the fat portfolio, and he takes a seat at one of the monitor stations.

His skin is an unusual purple-black shade, which almost seems to pulse from within.

(OOC: If that didn't tip you off, then yes, he scans as a nova ::tongue)

The captain flips through some files he's pulled out, then does a quick head count.

Epstein and Jennings are on the recon?

Colby nods.

That's correct, sir, along with one of Master Scout Roe's clones.

Delacroix shurgs.

Well, we can just bring them up to speed later.

He looks to Havoc, and raises an eyebrow.

Is Sergerant Rex still among the living? And if so, can we reach him by radio?

Lobe sits back down and looks back at the screens, "Man, who does that guy think he is, a general or somethin'?"

OOC: Well, he does outrank you ::wink And everyone else at X4, for that matter.

"From what I can tell, he doesn't think that at all. He just likes a little redecorating and reorganizing is all."

(After the Captain comes back)

Walter turns his attention towards Capt. Delacroix, but continues to glance from time to time towards the Green Screen to ensure that he fulfills his word to Colby.

The Recon:

Epstein The detection perimeter begins just across Soup Creek, which is also where the KT mines start. Mostly they tie them around trees just below waist level under a bit of camo, but sometimes they bury them under the surface along trails. How do you want to procede, sirs?

{What, 3 nova scouts and no one has enhanced senses? ::blink }

Mike responds, "Trails I think. I'm a good deal less mortal than either of you, so I guess I'm on point?"

"He is...he either thinks he killed me or he thinks I'm still out there near him and waiting for me to show up again. I'm still hoping we can salvage him captain, I saw what he can do and he could be a useful asset of the greens, It'd be a shame to lose him...though, like I said, my patience only goes so far..."

Mike responds, "Trails I think.  I'm a good deal less mortal than either of you, so I guess I'm on point?"

Jamie nods tersely, his voice low.

"Good idea." With that, he stabbed his fingers straight ahead.

A bit after the announcement, Raphael walks in, rubbing the back of his neck. He raises an eyebrow at Captain Delacroix, but snaps off a salute.

"Oh, good morning, sir. They didn't tell us you were coming."

Epstein and Jennings are on the recon?

Colby nods.

That's correct, sir, along with one of Master Scout Roe's clones.

Delacroix shurgs.

Well, we can just bring them up to speed later.

"Up to speed? Have I missed anything?"

[Map's broken, Heritage. ::wink ]

X4:

A bit after the announcement, Raphael walks in, rubbing the back of his neck. He raises an eyebrow at Captain Delacroix, but snaps off a salute.

"Oh, good morning, sir. They didn't tell us you were coming."

The captain casually returns the salute.

Good morning, sergeant - my arrival was rather sudden, due to recent events here at X4.

"Up to speed? Have I missed anything?"

Delacroix shakes his head.

Don't worry - we're just getting started.

[Map's broken, Heritage.  ]

OOC: Man, I cannot link to sh!t! I have never got that function to work right, I swear!

"He is...he either thinks he killed me or he thinks I'm still out there near him and waiting for me to show up again. I'm still hoping we can salvage him captain, I saw what he can do and he could be a useful asset of the greens, It'd be a shame to lose him...though, like I said, my patience only goes so far..."

Delacroix purses his lips.

We're going to have a little talk about this whole situation once I finish speaking to everyone here, sergeant major; I believe we have a lot to discuss.

Pvt Daniels pipes in.

Sir, Sgt Rex does not have a radio with him.

The captain rubs his eyes and sighs.

Alright, then the first order of business - from now on, when any personnel leave this base, they must carry some sort of radio or other means of communication with them. We can't have people floating around outside the loop; it's dangerous out there, people, and we can't save your @ss if we don't know where it is. None of this 'lone wolf' bullsh!t; the key word in Expeditionary Team is 'team'.

Delacroix takes a deep breathe, and then begins.

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Eugene Delacroix the Third - I'm a Captain in the RA Infantry, normally stationed at 8th Battalion HQ. Early this morning, it was brought to my attention that the start-up of Expeditionary Team Four had hit a bit of a...'rough patch'.

He pulls out a file from his portfolio and quickly skims it.

Possible abuse of a US Army prisoner, threats of physical violence made by several base personnel, an unauthorized personal combat between two base personnel, possible child endangerment-

He stops and looks gravely at everyone present.

This is some pretty serious sh!t I'm reading here. This is not the sort of professional conduct that I have come to expect from the men and women I fight alongside. We are all aware that there is a war going on outside, am I right? A war with the highest possible stakes: the erradication of a truly gifted portion of humanity, and the brave few who choose to stand beside them.

Delacroix gets up, and begins to prowl the room, hands behind his back.

This is not a war being fought with bullets alone, or with x-ray vision and atomic breath - this is a war for the heart, soul and mind of every sentient being on this planet. Everything we do is significant - we are watched and monitored by the most frightened people alive, and they have their finger poised right over the button. Skystrikes and the bomb are very real threats to us - to them, we aren't even human! I was at Warpstation Charlie, and brother, that was some real nasty sh!t. They pounded us for two whole days with every weapon in their arsenal - after the skystrike, maybe ten, fifteen people made it out, out of a base staffed with nearly two hundred. Hell, some of them were never even found, buried under that smoking hole in the ground. That is what happens when they find you - that is what happens when we f@ck up.

He stops and leans over the monitor station.

So we are not going to f@ck up - are we?

He retreives his portfolio, and pulls out some more files.

To that end, we are going to see some changes around here, but before I get into that, I want to explain something to all of you. I am not here to tell you what to do - we're all professionals here, and you were all picked for this assignment because you know how to do your jobs - at least, that's the theory. I am here to act as a...facilitator, if you will - I'm here to make sure that everyone does their job to the best of their ability. You will recieve your orders from me, and then you will determine the course of action we will pursue to acheive those goals. I will adjudicate any discussions of methods and tactics if there are any disagreements, and then we will move forward as a team.

Delacroix sighs.

I don't like this 'babysitter' sh!t any more than you do - it's insulting to all of us. We're all on the same side, so none of this should be necessary. Hopefully, after this peroid of adjustment, I will be out of your hair and you won't have to see my sorry @ss ever again. Before I continue, I'm going to stop here and ask if there are any questions so far.

He sits on the edge of the monitor station (which groans a bit under his weight), and looks around expectantly.

Before I continue, I'm going to stop here and ask if there are any questions so far.

He sits on the edge of the monitor station (which groans a bit under his weight), and looks around expectantly.

Lobe puts his coffee down on the console and leans forward a little bit, "Sir, Lt Markus 'Lobe' Smith. Maybe it's just because I got here a little late, but I don't really know what capacity everyone here is supposed to fill. I mean, I know I'm a medic, and we've got some scouts and cobras, but what is everyone's specialty? Maybe you can 'enlighten us' on what HQ saw in each us that made them want to put us here?"

Sir, Sgt Rex does not have a radio with him.

Raphael rolls his eyes. ::rolleyes

I don't like this 'babysitter' sh!t any more than you do - it's insulting to all of us. We're all on the same side, so none of this should be necessary. Hopefully, after this peroid of adjustment, I will be out of your hair and you won't have to see my sorry @ss ever again. Before I continue, I'm going to stop here and ask if there are any questions so far.

Raphael speaks from his position holding up the wall.

"I'm sure we'll all be better off for your presence. Want me to fetch Rex before you continue?"

(Since I wasent here for this...))

"Jes...Sir...can we please make seure to go over ze accords of ze Geneva convension so zat everyone knows exactly *why* ju are here? Im sure zat *some* people have excluded zemselves from zat reason...and its nice for a *good* green to show humanity to zoes who deserve it, as opposed to people who attach shakespearian notes to enemy soldiers that make the rest of ze greens look like the same raving lunitics of said person? Not zat I am singleing anyone out of course...Just wanting everyone to know just how many portions of ze code zat we all need to take to heart zat one action broke."

"Jes...Sir...can we please make seure to go over ze accords of ze Geneva convension so zat everyone knows exactly *why* ju are here? Im sure zat *some* people have excluded zemselves from zat reason...and its nice for a *good* green to show humanity to zoes who deserve it, as opposed to people who attach shakespearian notes to enemy soldiers that make the rest of ze greens look like the same raving lunitics of said person? Not zat I am singleing anyone out of course...Just wanting everyone to know just how many portions of ze code zat we all need to take to heart zat one action broke."

"Very subtle Renee" Havoc makes a point of calling the frog by his feminine last name (its a woman's name, kinda like if he was called John-Paul Mary. Yes its also a surname...)

Havoc eyes everyone in the room and continues

"Fact is I didn't torture anyone though Cutler certainly deserved it. That's right, its not like I stabbed Little Bo Peep. This man is a Blue and you can be sure of that. A fecken Tatter-Tot in Joey's clothing. If he'd laid his hand on any of us that person would be dying a long...cruel...excrutiatingly painful...death. Just like you're gonna have if you don't shut up when my daughter's around. And yes, that's a threat if you want to cry to mommy. You can ask him for the proper forms if you'd like."

Havoc nods towards Delacroix.

Lobe puts his coffee down on the console and leans forward a little bit, "Sir, Lt Markus 'Lobe' Smith. Maybe it's just because I got here a little late, but I don't really know what capacity everyone here is supposed to fill. I mean, I know I'm a medic, and we've got some scouts and cobras, but what is everyone's specialty? Maybe you can 'enlighten us' on what HQ saw in each us that made them want to put us here?"

Delacroiz spreads his hands.

I don't really know, lieutenant - I do know that Major Kendall hand-picked all of you, based on your records. I'm not sure he gave as much thought to team compatablilty as I would, though - the 'best of the best' tend to be strong individuals, with all the good and the bad that brings with it. If you want, I'll try and get that information from the major, and pass it along to you.

Raphael speaks from his position holding up the wall.

"I'm sure we'll all be better off for your presence. Want me to fetch Rex before you continue?"

The captain nods.

It's only fair to him to get him involved in this conversation, though I'll admit the thought of adding more gas to this fire makes me just a little concerned ::sly

"Very subtle Renee" Havoc makes a point of calling the frog by his feminine last name (its a woman's name, kinda like if he was called John-Paul Mary. Yes its also a surname...)

Havoc eyes everyone in the room and continues

"Fact is I didn't torture anyone though Cutler certainly deserved it. That's right, its not like I stabbed Little Bo Peep. This man is a Blue and you can be sure of that. A fecken Tatter-Tot in Joey's clothing. If he'd laid his hand on any of us that person would be dying a long...cruel...excrutiatingly painful...death. Just like you're gonna have if you don't shut up when my daughter's around. And yes, that's a threat if you want to cry to mommy. You can ask him for the proper forms if you'd like."

Havoc nods towards Delacroix.

Delacroix slams his hand down on the monitor station; the force of the blow can be felt through the floor.

That's enough of this bullsh!t from both of you! What are you, ten years old! It's bad enough we're surrounded by bad guys, but now you two have to go at it? Do you both need a 'time out', or are we going to talk like adults!

He nails Frenchie with a glare.

Sgt. Renee, I appreciate the reports filed by both you and First Sgt Kelso that first alerted us to this situation - however, that does not give you the right to bait and antagonize Sgt. Havoc. By doing so, you are promoting the attitude of violence and hostility in this base as much as he is.

He turns to Havoc.

Sgt. Havoc, let me remind you of something. Geneva Convention III, Article 13: "Any unlawful act which causes death or seriously endangers the health of a prisoner of war is a grave breach of the Geneva Conventions. In particular, prisoners must not be subject to physical mutilation, biological experiments, violence, intimidation, insults, and public curiosity." You want to hear more? I've got the whole damn thing memorized!

The only way we can guarantee that our people will get the proper treatment as POWs is to do the same to them. I'll have you know that I've fought on both sides of this war - that's right, prior to my eruption, I was a Joe. When I erupted, I marched right on over for registration - I was going to help Uncle Sam by hunting down mutant freaks like you. And then I saw how they were treating Registered Aberrants: not letting them contact their families, keeping us in those godawful training camps. So me and a bunch of other fellas got the hell out, made it over to the Greens because I figured that these were the sane folks.

He snorts.

But I guess I was wrong. Y'see, people remember sh!t - they remember who helped them, who kicked 'em, and who doused 'em in gasoline and set 'em on fire. What you send out into the world comes back down on you threefold, brother, and right now three of your teammates are off to recon the base of the guy you crippled. Now what do you think is going to happen to them if, god forbid, they get caught? You think they're gonna serve 'em up some god-damn pancakes?

Delacroix goes suddenly quiet.

This isn't just your war, Havoc - it's our war, too.

((EDIT...was cut off)

Sgt. Renee, I appreciate the reports filled by both you and First Sgt Kelso that first allerted us to this situation - however, that does not give you the right to bait and antagonize Sgt. Havoc. By doing so, you are promoting the attitude of violence and hostility in this base as much as he is.

Frenchie looks strait forward taking what is given. He nods, but dosent say anytthing.

Sgt. Havoc, let me remind you of something. Geneva Convention III, Article 13: "Any unlawful act which causes death or seriously endangers the health of a prisoner of war is a grave breach of the Geneva Conventions. In particular, prisoners must not be subject to physical mutilation, biological experiments, violence, intimidation, insults, and public curiosity." You want to hear more? I've got the whole damn thing memorized!

"I didn't take no prisoners...Whatever happened happened while the man was standing and shooting. If you can quote me something about refraining from hurting soldiers shooting at me, then please do so..."

But I guess I was wrong. Y'see, people remember sh!t - they remember who helped them, who kicked 'em, and who doused 'em in gasoline and set 'em on fire. What you send out into the world comes back down on you threefold, brother, and right now three of your teammates are off to recon the base of the guy you crippled. Now what do you think is going to happen to them if, god forbid, they get caught? You think they're gonna serve 'em up some god-damn pancakes?

"No, they won't. They won't because they're trained to hunt mutant freaks like us. We're not freaks. And you're right, I remember...I remember how they set fire to zips thinking they're in some way contaminated by Satan. I remember what they did to Fl...to her! They're still out there, the fecken religious nuts who think by having a node we become satan incarnate. They're still out there and they ARE among the Joes. You, if anyone, should know this Captain. If my colleagues are captured, I'll be the first to run in there and get them out...even the French guy who never shuts up."

Delacroix goes suddenly quiet.

This isn't just your war, Havoc - it's our war, too.

Havoc falls silent for a moment

"I know..."

"I didn't take no prisoners...Whatever happened happened while the man was standing and shooting. If you can quote me something about refraining from hurting soldiers shooting at me, then please do so..."

Delacroix shrugs.

Okay, so maybe, technically, he wasn't your prisoner - however, you let him live, and they might not know how fast you are. Whether or not he was your prisoner, I'm willing to bet they will see this event the way they want to see it. And shooting someone is one thing - crushing his hands is something else. Did you crush his hands in self-defense? As fast as you are, did his hands represent an immediate threat?

"No, they won't. They won't because they're trained to hunt mutant freaks like us. We're not freaks. And you're right, I remember...I remember how they set fire to zips thinking they're in some way contaminated by Satan. I remember what they did to Fl...to her! They're still out there, the fecken religious nuts who think by having a node we become satan incarnate. They're still out there and they ARE among the Joes. You, if anyone, should know this Captain. If my colleagues are captured, I'll be the first to run in there and get them out...even the French guy who never shuts up."

Delacroix raises an eyebrow, and waves his stack of files.

Unless you have some power that I missed on your file that lets you see into men's souls, you have no idea what his feeling towards novas were, though I have a pretty good idea of what they are now. Y'know, lots of us were in the Army prior to this war - I joined up because I come from a military family.

He shrugs.

I never had strong feelings one way or another about novas prior to my eruption - I was just doing my job, like thousands of other Joes. And by assuming that all Joes think alike, you're doing exactly what you say they're doing.

The captain sighs, and looks at Havoc with sympathy.

I don't know much about your history, but it sounds like you were reborn out of blood and fire - I can't blame you for feeling the way you do. And yeah, there are some sick f@ckers out there fightin' for Uncle Sam, just like we got some sick f@ckers on our side. But you've got to remember that we can't control the big picture here - all we can do is affect the world at arm's reach, and hope that's enough. Our deeds have resonance that spreads beyond what we can see, and that's how we change the world.

He laughs a bit and shakes his head.

Sorry to get all philosophical and sh!t - comes with my new big brain, I guess. But this is a philosophical war, as much as it is physical and psychological. What we do has impact, on the enemy, on civilians and on each other; I want you all to remember that. 'United we stand, divided we fall' and all that sh!t - sounds corny, but I think it's true. We're trying to show America what it's supposed to be, and hasn't been for a long time, if it ever was. We might all die for that someday, but there ain't no other way I'd rather die.

He rubs his face for a minute.

I'm gonna shut up again, hear what y'all have to say.

Archived