Aberrant: War Journal - War Journal

Heritage

Delacroix shrugs.

Okay, so maybe, technically, he wasn't your prisoner - however, you let him live, and they might not know how fast you are. Whether or not he was your prisoner, I'm willing to bet they will see this event the way they wanted to see it. And shooting someone is one thing - crushing his hands is something else. Did you crush his hands in self-defense? As fast as you are, did his hands represent an immediate threat?

Havoc nods

"Your point is well taken...next time they all die."

The captain sighs, and looks at Havoc with sympathy.

I don't know much about your history, but it sounds like you were reborn out of blood and fire - I can't blame you for feeling the way you do. And yeah, there are some sick f@ckers out there fightin' for Uncle Sam, just like we got some sick f@ckers on our side. But you've got to remember that we can't control the big picture here - all we can do is effect the world at arm's reach, and hope that's enough. Our deeds have resonance that spreads beyond what we can see, and that's how we change the world.

"So what would you have me do? Get in there and apologize to them for letting him live? Tell them really, I'd leave them alone if they didn't wish me dead for what I was? We won't win this war by going on a hunger strike and they won't simply let us live our lives elsewhere..."

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Havoc nods

"Your point is well taken...next time they all die."

Delacroix snorts.

Sad to say, but that's probably better - you can leave all the notes you want, as far I'm concerned, just pin 'em on dead guys.

"So what would you have me do? Get in there and apologize to them for letting him live? Tell them really, I'd leave them alone if they didn't wish me dead for what I was? We won't win this war by going on a hunger strike and they won't simply let us live our lives elsewhere..."

The captain laughs.

Guess I did go too far with my philosophizing!

I never meant to say don't kill folks - this is a war, and that's what we do. The beheading stuff is fine; it's quick and silent and saves on ammo. Getting them to fire on their own positions is fine, too - hell, I erupted due to friendly fire, and that was when we were on manuevers. Again, saves on ammo. Is it cruel? Yeah, it is, I suppose - survivors are gonna feel like sh!t, but no one is exactly happy after combat anyway. At least everyone goes out every day expecting to get shot. Call me a heartless bastard, but I'm not cryin' over that one - that's one of the oldest tricks in the book, and they'd do the same to us if they had the chance.

He pauses.

We're all fighting this war for different reasons, which is probably for the best. If a man is gonna shoot you, shoot him first; if a man is sneaking up on your position, shoot him first. If you sneak up on a sentry, slit his f@ckin' throat. Just don't make it into an art project; dead is dead, and that's enough.

Mike thinks to himself, *I'm not here...* as he listens to Delacroix and the others talk. His own powers primarily lend themselves to all sorts of activities that might not stand the light of day... suicide bombs, booby traps, & walking around wearing the other side's uniforms just to start with. Best not to be noticed before, during, and after such things.

X4:

It's only fair to him to get him involved in this conversation, though I'll admit the thought of adding more gas to this fire makes me just a little concerned.

Raphael shrugs and, smirking, says,

"Not my problem. Sir." ::halo

After Havoc tells him where Rex is, Raphael closes his eyes briefly, then opens them again and steps out of the room, into a hallway. He quickly runs down to his room and grabs his small radio. Making sure he's not visible from the conference room so as not to cause a distraction, he closes his eyes. The others still see from around the corner a flash of brilliant white light, and they sense a strong source of quantum washing over them. The light quickly vanishes.

[Activates FF, Flight, and opens a Warp to above Rex's location.]

Cretaceous Park:

Rex, if he's being particularly attentive from his bird's-eye view of the world, sees Raphael spiral up from the ground, making a beeline for him as soon as he spots the rather hard-to miss lizard. The Cobra now bears two gigantic, white wings, giving him a somewhat angelic appearance. They don't appear to be supporting his flight, however. If Rex looks closely, they appear to be vaguely translucent. Raphael flies to just in front of Rex's head, levels his hand in an imitation of a small pistol, and 'shoots' him in greeting.

Speaking loudly over the altitudinal winds, Raphael says in his strange double voice,

"Hey Rex. Havoc just waltzed into X4 - I'm surprised at you. ::sly

"Anyway, we need to get back. Word of war crimes, duels, and general lack of cooperation has reached home base - no idea how-" A rather cynical expression passes over the Cobra as he says this, and the collar of his trench coat stretches to sit on his head, changing color and shape into that of a black beret. ::sly He does not pause in his explanation to emphasize the innuendo, and it returns to normal after a moment.

"-and they sent in Cap'n Eugene Delacroix. You've heard of him?

"Anyway, he aims to straighten things out around here, and you're missing his speech."

I'm gonna shut up again, hear what y'all have to say.

Frenchie chimes in. "I alzo zink we need to address the issue of the small one living here. It iz not good. We already know zat Havok threatens Greens over her, what would happen if she were ever in trouble and ze cost of her saftey was us? And what kind of environment is zees for a child anyway? She lives miles away from the nearest fresh air, and with a bunch of soldiers. She needs people her own age where it is *relativley* safe for her. We cant provide zat for her here. Even Havok cant guarentee it no matter how much he wants to."

Rex appears pretty relaxed as Raphael flies up to him, waving 'Hi' as the little guy approaches.

"Hey Rex. Havoc just waltzed into X4 - I'm surprised at you."

Rex shrugs,

"The guy tried to garotte me, I flicked him away, then he vanished. I wasn't sure if he was waiting to 'jump out' in that oh-so-terrifying way of his & 'heroically' backstab me again, or if he'd just turned chicken-sh!t & run away. I guess now I know." ::rolleyes

"Anyway, we need to get back. Word of war crimes, duels, and general lack of cooperation has reached home base - no idea how-"

Rex grins as the beret appears & nods,

"Gotcha'." ::wink

"-and they sent in Cap'n Eugene Delacroix. You've heard of him?"

"Not that I recall, but then I never did mutate any extra brains - not even the one in my ass that dinosaurs are meant to have. Ho hum..." ::laugh

"Anyway, he aims to straighten things out around here, and you're missing his speech."

"What, he's arrested Havoc? Fair enough, I guess, but between you & me I prefer to deal with stuff like this 'in house'. As long as that sick shite is no-longer a problem then I guess I'm good. Still haven't even got a decent work-out yet though - I thought that Havoc would at least be tough enough for me to break a sweat or something, but as he fled after his one ambush attempt, before the fight even started properly, I've still not had a chance to cut loose."

With another shrug & a sigh, Rex shrinks back down to his normal height, then calls up to Raphael,

"Hey! Do I need to walk home, or did you bring transport?"

Frenchie chimes in. "I alzo zink we need to address the issue of the small one living here. It iz not good. We already know zat Havok threatens Greens over her, what would happen if she were ever in trouble and ze cost of her saftey was us? And what kind of environment is zees for a child anyway? She lives miles away from the nearest fresh air, and with a bunch of soldiers. She needs people her own age where it is *relativley* safe for her. We cant provide zat for her here. Even Havok cant guarentee it no matter how much he wants to."

"What's the matter, you afraid of children of something? We're in the heart of a mountain with the Green's Elites defending it. Ain't no place safer, Sgt. A child's place is with her family, end of story. I won't make her live an orphans life just because I'm posted with you. What if you were in trouble and the cost of your safety was us? I already said I'd run into Joey's playground and drag you out myself if I had to...I'll do the same for Julia. Don't worry, I don't expect any help from you if it comes to that."

"What's the matter, you afraid of children of something? We're in the heart of a mountain with the Green's Elites defending it. Ain't no place safer, Sgt. A child's place is with her family, end of story. I won't make her live an orphans life just because I'm posted with you. What if you were in trouble and the cost of your safety was us? I already said I'd run into Joey's playground and drag you out myself if I had to...I'll do the same for Julia. Don't worry, I don't expect any help from you if it comes to that."

"What you fail to understand is zat most of us will be gone at one time or anozer at certian points. And we arent all ze toughest people in the world. Zere is nothing stopping an ambush while we arent here...and if zhat happens and people are taken in as POWs we cant count on you to help ze entire team before ze little one. We are in ze middle of a war zone. No matter how safe you zink it is, its still a warzone and its still a time of war. Children have no business being here...especially where zey can over hear us talking about taking out zees and killing zat. I mean...what if she sneaked out and followed us someplace to help out her 'heroic daddy'? I dont know if she has erupted or not, and im sure zat some of us could spot her before we got all ze way there...but still. What if she get outside looking for you? She could give away our location if she is found and starts yelling about all 'you badguys'. you arent always going to be here, and ze X4 isent a group of baby sitters. We cant stop someone from doing zeir job because you have a daughter here. Zis isent because *I* have a problem with her personally. I really do like kids. Its becasue its detremental to ze entire unit zat she is here, and zough im not a psychiatrist, im sure zat its going to be detremental to her own mental health to be here...knowing zat her father may be killed any time zat he leaves the base. Yea...its better if they are wiss zeir parents...but dont go all at zat like the US did back at the 2k year mark and zink of zat over whats good for ze kid.

And to clear any confusion up...I would have hoped zat you could tell zat I am a green first and person second. If it came to having to rescue me at a high cost? Leave me captured...Im tougher zen you think I am. And I dont want any green to risk themselves like that for one person, especially me."

Delacroix listens carefully to both novas, thoughfully stroking his chin.

This is obviously a complicated issue, and I think it's best decided by the people it affects most. So, I put it to the entire base, everyone present - how do you feel about having Havoc's daughter here?

At first no one says a thing - finally Kelso speaks up.

Personally, sir, I think it's a bad idea, for all the reasons Sgt Renee mentioned; I feel she is a distraction and an unnecessary concern.

Colby purses her lips.

To be honest, sir, my feelings are rather mixed - I love Julia like she was my little sister, but I do worry about her. I don't think she distracts me so much that it affects my job, though perhaps I'm not the best judge of my behaviour in that area. Speaking for Epstein, I know she wants Julia to stay.

The three privates, who've been muttering amongst themselves for some time, appear to reach some sort of agreement - Pvt. Mortimer is then unceremoniously pushed forward by the other two.

Hey! Uh, sorry, sir. The three of us like Julia - we all agree that there is a war going on, and this is a base, obviously, but... Well, she reminds us of why we're fighting, sir.

He looks back to the other two and shrugs, and they give him polite little golf claps.

Doc Scoville coughs violently into a handkerchief, then looks up through runny eyes.

As a medic, I don't think this is a healthy place for a child. That's all.

Jubersky shifts his weight uncomfortably from foot to foot, nervously scanning the faces of the others - at length, he speaks haltingly.

Um, yeah, uh, Julia, the little girl? Yeah. She seems nice, I guess - I don't think we've ever, y'know, talked or anything, though sometimes I see her, y'know, around the base, so....

He stops and squints his eyes tightly shut.

I...I don't think she should leave. Y'know? I think children are important - like our future, or something. Yeah. Important.

Delacroix nods.

Okay, that's two opposed, three including Frenchie, five in favor, one sort of undecided. How 'bout the rest of you?

(In the field)

Mike (Clone): Mike dorms down when they start to approach the "mined" area.

(At the base)

Mike shrugs and says, "It wouldn't be the choice I'd make, but it isn't so messed up I'd send the government in to take the kid. It's the parent's choice."

"Zis iz not ze parents decision...zis is ze X4's decision. Wether to allow non-combatant, underage civilians to live on a tactical base extremely close to enemy territory during wartime. While zere has been years of precident for zis...but...since we are leaving it to vote...we dont need indecision. Zis is yes, or no. Children in ze base or no children in ze base."

Mike responds, "Daughter of an active nova, who could easily become a target to put a hold on him? It's a toss up whether she would be safer here or else where.

Rather than spend lots of time trying to substitute my judgement for his, as a toss up I'll defer to the parent's wishes. That's my vote. After all, he is the party most concerned and involved."

"Not that I recall, but then I never did mutate any extra brains - not even the one in my ass that dinosaurs are meant to have. Ho hum...

"What, he's arrested Havoc? Fair enough, I guess, but between you & me I prefer to deal with stuff like this 'in house'. As long as that sick shite is no-longer a problem then I guess I'm good. Still haven't even got a decent work-out yet though - I thought that Havoc would at least be tough enough for me to break a sweat or something, but as he fled after his one ambush attempt, before the fight even started properly, I've still not had a chance to cut loose."

Raphael shrugs.

"His reputation has him as a real tough guy, smart as hell, thinks he's the cat's ass, and probably is. He hasn't arrested Havoc or anything like that, he's just giving them a 'You call yourself real red-blooded greens and yet you quarrel amongst yourselves' speech. I imagine you're in line for more of the same."

With one last look at Rex's gigantic form, Raphael decides not to mention that Havoc was talking earlier about 'letting [Rex] live'. ::sly

"Hey! Do I need to walk home, or did you bring transport?"

Raphael eyes Rex sarcastically.

"I am the transport, you twit." ::rolleyes

As Rex shrinks, Raphael himself sinks down to the ground, doing a brief impression of Woodstock's elevator act. Once Rex achieves human size, Raphael hovers slightly above him and concentrates again. A bright white light warp appears, slowly expanding and revealing an impossible doorway in space-time back to X4.

Raphael makes a sweeping 'after you' gesture with a very large arm.

This is obviously a complicated issue, and I think it's best decided by the people it affects most. So, I put it to the entire base, everyone present - how do you feel about having Havoc's daughter here?

Lobe takes a sip of his coffee and stands up,“Sir, I’ve got a couple of questions. First, when did the military become a democracy? I thought the whole reason HQ sent you was to lay down the law and fix this mess. And secondly, if we’re voting to send people away, can I place my vote for the French guy? I mean he just seems annoying as hell, getting’ into other people’s business. And sending reports about us back to HQ? How much more of a slimeball could you be? You couldn’t have taken it up with us here first? Or let Havok and Godzilla fight it out and have it over with? All you’re doing is creating more hate and discontent within the team, and lowering everyone’s morale.

Nobody said that you have to watch the kid if you don’t want to. She’s nobody’s problem except Havok’s, and he’d still be worried about her whether she’s here or somewhere else. I’m sure Walters here could get a hold of the appropriate paperwork to request an exception to policy, trust me I’ve written plenty of ‘em, and make it all official.”

After his diatribe, he sits back down and takes another sip of his coffee...

Lobe takes a sip of his coffee and stands up,“Sir, I’ve got a couple of questions. First, when did the military become a democracy? I thought the whole reason HQ sent you was to lay down the law and fix this mess. And secondly, if we’re voting to send people away, can I place my vote for the French guy? I mean he just seems annoying as hell, getting’ into other people’s business. And sending reports about us back to HQ? How much more of a slimeball could you be? You couldn’t have taken it up with us here first? Or let Havok and Godzilla fight it out and have it over with? All you’re doing is creating more hate and discontent within the team, and lowering everyone’s morale.

Nobody said that you have to watch the kid if you don’t want to. She’s nobody’s problem except Havok’s, and he’d still be worried about her whether she’s here or somewhere else. I’m sure Walters here could get a hold of the appropriate paperwork to request an exception to policy, trust me I’ve written plenty of ‘em, and make it all official.”

He raises an eyebrow at this.

"I agree wiss you about zis not being a democracy...but 'ow ze hell do you get off saying zat what I have done was wrong? All I have done is file a report of incedent about what Havok did. I was hoping to get this taken care of wizout ze *need* for Havok and Rex to go outside and fight. We may be soldiers but that dosent make us barbarians. As for zis child...she is *everyones* problem...especially if the X4 is under attack. It is all of our responcability to make sure that she is safe, becasue she is bos a civilian and a child...on ze front line of war. Because she is here, we will have to alter defence strategies to make sure that she is not in combat if we are ever infultrated. You may see it as nosing...but zis is to make all our lives easier."

"And zat is anozer point. We *need* a clear cut leader. All of zees could have been avoided if we did. Zat is why I requested one. We need zomone of clear rank to be able to clear all zese decisions that might require an arguement or vote. Zis is ze most chaotic unit in ze entire Green army, and we dont fit ze standard mold for a good unit. Wis all due respect, we dont need a mediator, we need someone with clear rank to settle disputes, and to lead us in ze way zat we need."

"His reputation has him as a real tough guy, smart as hell, thinks he's the cat's ass, and probably is. He hasn't arrested Havoc or anything like that, he's just giving them a 'You call yourself real red-blooded greens and yet you quarrel amongst yourselves' speech. I imagine you're in line for more of the same."

"That sounds about right for the usual brass approach - ignore the facts if it happens to suit the circumstances. What a load of horseshite! Still, I guess we're all used to that kinda' stuff by now..." ::rolleyes

"I am the transport, you twit."

Rex grins - which is always a little unnerving considering the razor-sharp teeth that line his chops - & spreads his clawed hands wide,

"Hey - one doesn't like to presume, & all that crapola." ::wink

Peering for a moment through the white light doorway the reptile man then glances back at his winged colleague,

"Damned if these things aren't the most useful power ever. Typical that I didn't mutated one... Hey, can you open them to, like, Hawaii & places? R 'n' R could suddenly take a turn for the better!"

Rex hula-shimmys through the warp, humming an appropriate-sounding tune...

... Back at X4 the reptile guy thanks Raphael for the lift, then heads through to where the other are,

"Hi guys," he waves as he enters ::smiley5 , "Havoc turned chicken-shite & ran after trying to garotte me, so..." he trails off as he 'notices' Havoc, "... well, I guess you've already told them all this, right gimp?" ::sly

Spotting the captain he throws a lazy salute,

"Wot-ho Cappers - why's the brass down here at hellhole 4?" ::devil then does a poor attempt at looking innocent... ::halo

Lobe takes a sip of his coffee and stands up,“Sir, I’ve got a couple of questions. First, when did the military become a democracy? I thought the whole reason HQ sent you was to lay down the law and fix this mess.

Delcacroix nods.

I see your point, but remember a few things. One, the Greens are more than a military organization, or possibly in some ways less. We're fighting to defend our right to live freely and associate with whom we choose, be they baseline or nova. Secondly, the Expeditionary Teams were designed to give superior soldiers the chance to operate with fewer restrictions. And thirdly, X-Ped 4 was Major Kendall's experiment in self-determination and indirect control, which I personally knew was a bad idea - Kendall thought he could give orders from Battalion HQ and still maintain control of the operation from afar, giving all of you the freedom to carry out those orders on your own. The man's a bit of a Libertarian, you see, but hey, I won ten punchcards out of it, so I'm not going to complain. ::biggrin

And secondly, if we’re voting to send people away, can I place my vote for the French guy? I mean he just seems annoying as hell, getting’ into other people’s business. And sending reports about us back to HQ? How much more of a slimeball could you be? You couldn’t have taken it up with us here first? Or let Havok and Godzilla fight it out and have it over with? All you’re doing is creating more hate and discontent within the team, and lowering everyone’s morale.

Sgt Renee was perfectly in his rights to file a report, as are any of you at anytime - First Sgt Kelso also filed one, so please don't single out Renee on that one. As I understand it, he made his feelings clear before he filed the report, so if anything, he was stabbing you in the front, not the back ::sly As far as the whole 'grudge match' thing goes...

Here the captain pulls off his cap and rubs his smooth head.

I don't know what to say. We all get pissed off at each other from time to time, and sometimes it seems like the only solution is to throw down. I personally hate to see two Green brothers going at it, because I see it as a no-win situation - whoever loses typically ends up in bad shape, which puts them on the bench for awhile, and an injured man is no use to us. If no one was seriously injured, and if the fight didn't draw anyone unfriendly's attention, I'm willing to let this one slide, on account of there was no one clearly in charge. I just hope whatever feelings were involved were somehow resolved, though I'm not really getting that sense.

"I agree wiss you about zis not being a democracy...but 'ow ze hell do you get off saying zat what I have done was wrong? All I have done is file a report of incedent about what Havok did. I was hoping to get this taken care of wizout ze *need* for Havok and Rex to go outside and fight. We may be soldiers but that dosent make us barbarians. As for zis child...she is *everyones* problem...especially if the X4 is under attack. It is all of our responcability to make sure that she is safe, becasue she is bos a civilian and a child...on ze front line of war. Because she is here, we will have to alter defence strategies to make sure that she is not in combat if we are ever infultrated. You may see it as nosing...but zis is to make all our lives easier."

The captain follows the discussion, noting everyone's reactions to Frenchie's comments.

"And zat is anozer point. We *need* a clear cut leader. All of zees could have been avoided if we did. Zat is why I requested one. We need zomone of clear rank to be able to clear all zese decisions that might require an arguement or vote. Zis is ze most chaotic unit in ze entire Green army, and we dont fit ze standard mold for a good unit. Wis all due respect, we dont need a mediator, we need someone with clear rank to settle disputes, and to lead us in ze way zat we need."

I agree with you, Frenchie, but sadly this is not the most chaotic unit in the Greens, though it's making a solid bid for second ::sly As I said, if blame must be laid, it's at Major Kendall's feet, but since he outranks us all, we just humbly suggest that the plan might need some revision. ::wink

"Hi guys," he waves as he enters ::smiley5 , "Havoc turned chicken-shite & ran after trying to garotte me, so..." he trails off as he 'notices' Havoc, "... well, I guess you've already told them all this, right gimp?" ::sly

"Wot-ho Cappers - why's the brass down here at hellhole 4?" ::devil  then does a poor attempt at looking innocent... ::halo

Delacroix nods.

Sgt Rex, glad to see you're all in one piece. We were just discussing the whole 'Julia' situation - any thoughts?

"That sounds about right for the usual brass approach - ignore the facts if it happens to suit the circumstances. What a load of horseshite! Still, I guess we're all used to that kinda' stuff by now..."

Raphael nods ruefully.

"Such is our lot as soldiers, but a chain of command would have worked wonders about 12 hours ago."

"Damned if these things aren't the most useful power ever. Typical that I didn't mutated one... Hey, can you open them to, like, Hawaii & places? R 'n' R could suddenly take a turn for the better!"

Raphael nods.

"On a good day, I can go pretty much anyplace I would want. Might even be able to get all the way from the ground to the top of your head in one go.." ::wink

Back at X4 the reptile guy thanks Raphael for the lift, then heads through to where the other are,

"Hi guys," he waves as he enters  , "Havoc turned chicken-shite & ran after trying to garotte me, so..." he trails off as he 'notices' Havoc, "... well, I guess you've already told them all this, right gimp?" 

"Wot-ho Cappers - why's the brass down here at hellhole 4?"  then does a poor attempt at looking innocent...

Raphael's wings disappear, and he falls a meter or so onto a crouch on the ground, then follows the reptile back into X4. He gives a relaxed boy-scout salute to all present.

And to clear any confusion up...I would have hoped zat you could tell zat I am a green first and person second. If it came to having to rescue me at a high cost? Leave me captured...Im tougher zen you think I am. And I dont want any green to risk themselves like that for one person, especially me."

Havoc shakes his head

"Its nice to know you're a robot, Frenchman. I'm a father. And I'm a person... - He looks around the room - And yes, I have my failings. I wish I could leave Julia with her grandparents...but I'm afraid Hastings took care of that solution. Maybe she could stay with her mother at a station somewhere? Oh no...right...Fecken Blues killed her! Now you want me to take her away from the only family she knows? Take her away from Epstein...from her Father? Who the hell's that gonna help?! I'm sorry if I'm not a 'Green first, person second' like you. The Greens are important to me but I'll never forget who I'm fighting for."

At first no one says a thing - finally Kelso speaks up.

Personally, sir, I think it's a bad idea, for all the reasons Sgt Renee mentioned; I feel she is a distraction and an unnecessary concern.

Havoc simply glances at Kelso, unsurprised by his backing of Sgt. Renee.

Colby purses her lips.

To be honest, sir, my feelings are rather mixed - I love Julia like she was my little sister, but I do worry about her. I don't think she distracts me so much that it affects my job, though perhaps I'm not the best judge of my behaviour in that area. Speaking for Epstein, I know she wants Julia to stay.

Havoc nods a bit and looks at the floor

The three privates, who've been muttering amongst themselves for some time, appear to reach some sort of agreement - Pvt. Mortimer is then unceremoniously pushed forward by the other two.

Hey! Uh, sorry, sir. The three of us like Julia - we all agree that there is a war going on, and this is a base, obviously, but... Well, she reminds us of why we're fighting, sir.

He looks back to the other two and shrugs, and they give him polite little golf claps.

Havoc gives them a curt nod and keeps listening

frenchie sighs...

"Yes...and please remember to think about ze girl and ze base before wether you *like* her or not...and zat we can tp to a less war-prone area to see people."

he shoots a glance in the three privates directions

Havoc rolls his eyes

Mike responds, "Daughter of an active nova, who could easily become a target to put a hold on him? It's a toss up whether she would be safer here or else where.

Rather than spend lots of time trying to substitute my judgement for his, as a toss up I'll defer to the parent's wishes. That's my vote. After all, he is the party most concerned and involved."

Havoc once again nods thanks, this time at Mike.

Lobe takes a sip of his coffee and stands up,“Sir, I’ve got a couple of questions. First, when did the military become a democracy? I thought the whole reason HQ sent you was to lay down the law and fix this mess. And secondly, if we’re voting to send people away, can I place my vote for the French guy? I mean he just seems annoying as hell, getting?into other people’s business. And sending reports about us back to HQ? How much more of a slimeball could you be? You couldn’t have taken it up with us here first? Or let Havok and Godzilla fight it out and have it over with? All you’re doing is creating more hate and discontent within the team, and lowering everyone’s morale.

Nobody said that you have to watch the kid if you don’t want to. She’s nobody’s problem except Havok’s, and he’d still be worried about her whether she’s here or somewhere else. I’m sure Walters here could get a hold of the appropriate paperwork to request an exception to policy, trust me I’ve written plenty of ‘em, and make it all official.?/span>

Havoc grins through his mask...he and the medic were gonna get along fine... ::smile

"Hi guys," he waves as he enters  , "Havoc turned chicken-shite & ran after trying to garotte me, so..." he trails off as he 'notices' Havoc, "... well, I guess you've already told them all this, right gimp?" 

Havoc nods at Rex

"I told them I let you live...believe what you will, fact is I'm here without a scratch despite that slap of yours and so are you. I just hope you got whatever it is you needed to get out of your system. Having seen what I've seen, I think you'd be a challenge even for me. The Greens can use a soldier like you and the fact that you respected the sanctity of my daughter made me think twice about giving my all against you. This must be my daughter corrupting my Greenity, right Frenchie? Father first, Green second...damn!"

This must be my daughter corrupting my Greenity, right Frenchie? Father first, Green second...damn!"

"Your sarcasm makes a point. We dont need people here wis mixed and possibly contradicting allegiences. We need to know zat we can count on you at a moments notice. We *cant* count on you if something *might* happen to her. With her being your *first* though the rest of us could get *killed*. Zat is why civilians arent allowed on front line bases. Zat is also why children arent allowed on front line bases. When you are in a war, remembering what you are fighting for is nessissary, but take a photo, not *people* who could *die*."

"And if you arent willing to die for ze cause out here zen you shouldent be here. Zere are plenty of *security* jobs zat you can do at different places. Here on ze front line we put our *lives* on ze line. At any given mission You or I or Rex or Epstein or whoever could *die* and where would zat leave her? Zis is why zis is a volentary assignment. If you are going to use ze argument of she has no one else, zen you need to take zat to heart and think of who would take care of her if everyone here died."

"I told them I let you live...believe what you will, fact is I'm here without a scratch despite that slap of yours and so are you. I just hope you got whatever it is you needed to get out of your system. Having seen what I've seen, I think you'd be a challenge even for me.

Raphael snickers.

"So, you're both feeling great, and you both still think you can kick the other's ass. I think I speak for all of us when I say: what the hell kind of fight was that?" ::sly

"Your sarcasm makes a point. We dont need people here wis mixed and possibly contradicting allegiences. We need to know zat we can count on you at a moments notice. We *cant* count on you if something *might* happen to her. With her being your *first* though the rest of us could get *killed*. Zat is why civilians arent allowed on front line bases. Zat is also why children arent allowed on front line bases. When you are in a war, remembering what you are fighting for is nessissary, but take a photo, not *people* who could *die*."

"And if you arent willing to die for ze cause out here zen you shouldent be here. Zere are plenty of *security* jobs zat you can do at different places. Here on ze front line we put our *lives* on ze line. At any given mission You or I or Rex or Epstein or whoever could *die* and where would zat leave her? Zis is why zis is a volentary assignment. If you are going to use ze argument of she has no one else, zen you need to take zat to heart and think of who would take care of her if everyone here died."

Raphael gives the Frenchman a 'what burr got up this guy's ass?' look, and turns to face him squarely, arms crossed. ::blink

"What gives you the right to ask that people make huge sacrifices to avoid very remote risks, choosing the Green Machine over what makes them fight for her in the first place?" ::mad

Raphael snickers.

"So, you're both feeling great, and you both still think you can kick the other's ass. I think I speak for all of us when I say: what the hell kind of fight was that?"

Cobys laughs out loud at this, and a few other people snicker as well.

Colby clears her throat.

Just to make a point here, I don't think Havoc ever implied he wasn't willing to die for the cause. And he might not be the only one with contradictory allegiences, either; I'm lucky, I hate my dad and would shoot him on sight if I saw him, but some other folks might have families, too, all of whom might also be in danger somewhere else in Greenland.

She shrugs.

I'm just saying. I still don't know where I stand on this issue.

Just to make a point here, I don't think Havoc ever implied he wasn't willing to die for the cause. And he might not be the only one with contradictory allegiences, either; I'm lucky, I hate my dad and would shoot him on sight if I saw him, but some other folks might have families, too, all of whom might also be in danger somewhere else in Greenland.

"I wish it were so clear cut as zat. Lets say zat zere is a situation where he has to hold a posisition and his daughter somehow gets in a life zreatening situation. We cant count on him to stay zere. If zere is a situation where its her life or any one of our lives, or all of our lives. We can count on him to abandon us in her favor."

"As for his willingness to die for ze cause, its hypocritical to say zat ze reason she has to stay is to be with family and zen go out to possibly die as often as we do. Eizer you zink zat she has to have family and do what you can to stay safe, or do ze job wizout distraction. And its not like I'm saying zat she has to be sent off to ze orphanage and live ze life of Oliver Twise. He could put her up in Warpstation Bravo and go to visit her weekly, or even nightly, staying wiz her. But she cant be a consern to ze entire X4...because as long as she is here, we are all obligated and (I believe) required to protect her. We can do wizout zat and we can be more well prepared for anything wizout her here. Keeping her here only endangers ze entire X4 location and ze people who work here."

OOC: This idea just hit me in the shower - I'm still wet as I type this ::laugh

Jubersky has been slowly stroking his head the whole time this discussion has been going on, fingering the scars in his scalp. With much effort, he speaks up.

Uh, it seems to me, at least, that, um, this whole situation comes down to two primary points. Sgt Major Havoc loves Julia very, very much, just so much, and he doesn't want to lose her, not lose her, he's lost so much already. And Sgt Renee - who doesn't hate kids, he doesn't hate 'em, I think we all know that - he doesn't want to have to decide, y'know, decide, in a combat-type of situation, y'know, what to we do, about this kid, uh, here at the base!

He sort of smiles, then cringes a bit - it seems to be an involuntarty twitch.

My answer, or at least the answer I propose, is 'Umberto Junior', a mini-Path radio, y'know, like a watch, but it doesn't tell time, of course, that Julia wears, you see? It allows her to, to warp out, if she is threatened, or her daddy's sick or injured, and she goes someplace safe, y'know, where they can take care of her. And she can feed it, and, and clean it, and talk to it, call it "Berto', or 'Bertie-Bert-Butt', or 'Jingle-Jangle', or some other sort of cute name that a small child would come up with, y'know, to name a pet of some kind.

He stops and looks around.

And we could make it pink.

"As for his willingness to die for ze cause, its hypocritical to say zat ze reason she has to stay is to be with family and zen go out to possibly die as often as we do. Eizer you zink zat she has to have family and do what you can to stay safe, or do ze job wizout distraction. And its not like I'm saying zat she has to be sent off to ze orphanage and live ze life of Oliver Twise. He could put her up in Warpstation Bravo and go to visit her weekly, or even nightly, staying wiz her. But she cant be a consern to ze entire X4...because as long as she is here, we are all obligated and (I believe) required to protect her. We can do wizout zat and we can be more well prepared for anything wizout her here. Keeping her here only endangers ze entire X4 location and ze people who work here."

"Out of sight, out of mind, huh?" ::sneaky2

Raphael's tone is still relatively mild, but he looks as though he is somewhat offended by Frenchie's cavalier disregard for Havoc's fatherly obligations.

My answer, or at least the answer I propose, is 'Umberto Junior', a mini-Path radio, y'know, like a watch, but it doesn't tell time, of course, that Julia wears, you see? It allows her to, to warp out, if she is threatened, or her daddy's sick or injured, and she goes someplace safe, y'know, where they can take care of her. And she can feed it, and, and clean it, and talk to it, call it "Berto', or 'Bertie-Bert-Butt', or 'Jingle-Jangle', or some other sort of cute name that a small child would come up with, y'know, to name a pet of some kind.

Raphael looks at Havoc and Frenchie for their reactions.

"Out of sight, out of mind, huh?"

"Somzing like zat. IF she isent here and she is in a safe place...he can do his job and not have to worry about her as much."

"If she took care of it, properly, and it transported her ze *instant* somezing happened...I do not know how zat works but if it could when it detected a foreign mind or a mind zat was bent on killing someone and took a command to transport...zen transported her to a larger place where she would be safe...like warpstation bravo...I wouldent be opposed to her being here. That would take care of my conserns."

"If she took care of it, properly, and it transported her ze *instant* somezing happened...I do not know how zat works but if it could when it detected a foreign mind or a mind zat was bent on killing someone and took a command to transport...zen transported her to a larger place where she would be safe...like warpstation bravo...I wouldent be opposed to her being here. That would take care of my conserns."

Jubersky nods vigrously, grinning.

Yes, yes, yes - since Path's are by their, y'know, very nature telapathic, it senses what she senses, and more actually, y'see, and then it can, of course, respond appropriately. The bond between, between Path and user can be very deep, just so very deep, especially if there is, y'know, only one user. Sim-pati-co. And I think - this just what I think, mind you - that Julia is a very smart little girl, who, who loves her father very much, and will want to, obviously, within reason, help him.

He looks to Havoc, his eyes almost pleading.

*sheesh...so much for waiting for Prof's response, right?*

I think I speak for all of us when I say: what the hell kind of fight was that?"

"It wasn't...I "chickened out" remember? There was no fight. I heard the base personnel call as I realised that Rex wouldn't be as easy to get rid of as I thought. Finishing him definitely would've gotten outside attention - Havoc gives Rex a glance - finishing me as well..."

Havoc sets his jaw

"You're standing on thin ice Sgt., accusing me of not taking the greens seriously...but I pity you. - Havoc strides in the middle of the room gazing at everyone as he speaks - I pity the man who's never loved and fails to understand what it is. There's no 'safe' place for her. Look at me! - Havoc turns back towards Sgt. Renee and peels away his mask revealing what appears to be freshly burnt, peeling flesh. The squeemish gag while the others simply understand the constant need for a mask now, if only as a courteousy to others. - I'm a jew in Nazi Germany! Would you have me sit in the sidelines?! Do I really have to abandon my family to fight? What difference does it make if I die when she's here, close to me, or away in some strange camp? Who are you to even question the decisions I make regarding my family, Sergeant?"

There's an awkward silence as Jubersky interrupts..

Uh, it seems to me, at least, that, um, this whole situation comes down to two primary points. Sgt Major Havoc loves Julia very, very much, just so much, and he doesn't want to lose her, not lose her, he's lost so much already. And Sgt Renee - who doesn't hate kids, he doesn't hate 'em, I think we all know that - he doesn't want to have to decide, y'know, decide, in a combat-type of situation, y'know, what to we do, about this kid, uh, here at the base!

He sort of smiles, then cringes a bit - it seems to be an involuntary twitch.

Havoc's mask melts back into place as he lets this seep in...

Havoc rolls his eyes

"You must be joking...if she ported out everytime a mind was bent on killing someone I'd never see my daughter again!" ::rolleyes

The implication being that with the Sgt. around, people are bound to think of killing people...

"Maybe if Julia were to decide she were in danger...I'd trust that more than some lump of flesh attached to her arm.."

Jubersky nods vigrously, grinning.

Yes, yes, yes - since Path's are by their, y'know, very nature telapathic, it senses what she senses, and more actually, y'see, and then it can, of course, respond appropriately. The bond between, between Path and user can be very deep, just so very deep, especially if there is, y'know, only one user. Sim-pati-co. And I think - this just what I think, mind you - that Julia is a very smart little girl, who, who loves her father very much, and will want to, obviously, within reason, help him.

He looks to Havoc, his eyes almost pleading.

Havoc suddenly looks suspicious

"Wait a minute doc, you're not trying to use my daughter as some kind of guinea pig are you? She isn't some thesis project, got that! What assurances do I have that Bert won't eat her brains out? This has been tried before, right?"

"You're standing on thin ice Sgt., accusing me of not taking the greens seriously...but I pity you. - Havoc strides in the middle of the room gazing at everyone as he speaks - I pity the man who's never loved and fails to understand what it is. There's no 'safe' place for her. Look at me! - Havoc turns back towards Sgt. Renee and peels away his mask revealing what appears to be freshly burnt, peeling flesh. The squeemish gag while the others simply understand the constant need for a mask now, if only as a courteousy to others. - I'm a jew in Nazi Germany! Would you have me sit in the sidelines?! Do I really have to abandon my family to fight? What difference does it make if I die when she's here, close to me, or away in some strange camp? Who are you to even question the decisions I make regarding my family, Sergeant?"

There is no akward silence as an unimpressed Frenchie.

"Wow...nice scar. I have seen people who know zat civilians *dont belong front line bases* who have *lost* limbs. Loss of mobility is much more convincing zen loss of your looks, sorry. You dont have to sit on ze sidelines, but you do have to fight with your all...which you cant while you have her to worry about. You dont have to abandon your family...but you have to leave zem in the safest place possible, which is not *suprise-suprise* here...on ze front lines. I question your decisions becuase they contradict years upon years of precident in the treatment of bos civilians and family, and zey put ze rest of us at risk for when you up and leave becasue your daughter is in trouble. Wiz her here *you cant be trusted to stay at your post*."

((Im sure he would interrupt after this))

While the discussion is going on in C&C... Walter carefully listens to what is being said... Mostly he nods and stays out of the conversation as the incidents in reference started before his arrival and shortly after he got here...

Then as the topic moves on towards Julia, Walter starts to shift uncomfortably at the intensity of the conversation...

Walter nods with a smile. His fingers silently glide over the keyboard as he pulls up the relavant documents. Filling them out without even being asked to do so, but looking back and forth at the group as he does so. Waiting to chime in until the right point, Walter gets disturbed by the continuing chatter of such a small issue.

Keeping her here only endangers ze entire X4 location and ze people who work here."
I question your decisions becuase they contradict years upon years of precident in the treatment of bos civilians and family, and zey put ze rest of us at risk for when you up and leave becasue your daughter is in trouble. Wiz her here *you cant be trusted to stay at your post*."

Walter stands up and finally says something

"Enough of this useless and bickering chatter that you two seem to want to go on about. No matter how most the rest of the base votes, Frenchie you were outvoted. Pure and simple. And I don't think that anyone doesn't understand your point, but more people are willing to risk Havoc turning on us because of a danger to Julia than send the kid off. She's inspiriation, she shows us what we're fighting for. SHE'LL GIVE US A REASON TO PROTECT THIS HOLE LIKE NONE OTHER HAS EVER BEEN PROTECTED. And while I respect your opinon, I do not share it that she has no place here." Walter says staying as calm as he can given his opinion of the grown ups acting more like the child they are arguing about.

"You asked some relavent questions, Sergeant Renee... about where Julia will go if infiltrated and how to protect her. Even made a point about having to change defense strategies and our own safety. Well fine, until Jubersky can rig up the Umberto Jr. , she can stick with me in the supply room in case of emergency. I can personally tell you that room will be the best defended in this base when and if this base is ever infiltrated. And that's not changing a single plan. As for our own safety, we know what's at risk keeping her up here. But I don't see a difference between her being stuck out there in some city where Blues or Joes can find her versus the same risk here," Walter continues on saying interuptting anyone who tries to break in on the rant, "Unless someone else is going to change thier vote, I believe the matter on Julia is fairly much resolved. Democratically and in case of Regulations, if Captain Delacroix sees fit to sign the form allowing an exception to Regs. And someone higher up must have already OK'd this, else Julia would never have even made it onto this base, so I see no reason why he would not grant it."

"Finally as far as clear cut leadership goes, I have to say that so far Colby, Kelso, or Epstein seems the most clear cut to take a cue from. Why you don't recognize this, I have no clue, but those officers have been on this base longer than than the majority of us. That makes them experts in the area and on base relations before us. What really was needed on this base wasn't leadership, it was for the majority of those of us just arriving to open our eyes to reality," says Walter before taking his seat once more, his rant finished.

Frenchie stands up.

"Ok then. Since you are all acting sentimentally instead of like soldiers, wiz exceptions of course...I will accept your decision and not take zis any further since I did agree to a vote. However...I cant, in good consience, stay member to zis. Any more votes zat you make wont apply to me unless I agree to zem. Since zis is a democracy, I am utilising my right to leave it. Please...tell me when we get orders from someone zat is of *higher* rank instead of *comparable* rank. I hope zat you will consider whats good for the X4 before ze selfish wishes of an extremely violent person zat borders on child endangerment."

He turns and walks out by lobe, he stops momentarily. "And make sure zat ze files have been signed by someone of authorit."

"And make sure zat ze files have been signed by someone of authority."

As Frenchie leaves, he passes by Raphael, who is leaning on the side of the door. Just after he passes him, a wolfish grin passes over the camo-clad nova's face, and he calls after him,

"Hey Frenchie!"

When Frenchie turns to look at him, Raphael says in French,

"The French complain of everything, and always." ::smokin

After that he turns back to the group.

"Wow...nice scar. I have seen people who know zat civilians *dont belong front line bases* who have *lost* limbs. Loss of mobility is much more convincing zen loss of your looks, sorry. You dont have to sit on ze sidelines, but you do have to fight with your all...which you cant while you have her to worry about. You dont have to abandon your family...but you have to leave zem in the safest place possible, which is not *suprise-suprise* here...on ze front lines. I question your decisions becuase they contradict years upon years of precident in the treatment of bos civilians and family, and zey put ze rest of us at risk for when you up and leave becasue your daughter is in trouble. Wiz her here *you cant be trusted to stay at your post*."

"I meant I'm a nova in bigotland, genius. I wasn't complaining about my looks or injuries. Julia's the daughter of a known nova which makes her a target anywhere. For her, this is "ze safest place" and it doesn't take much brains to realise that."

Havoc shrugs

"Guess it takes some though..."

"Ok then. Since you are all acting sentimentally instead of like soldiers, wiz exceptions of course...I will accept your decision and not take zis any further since I did agree to a vote. However...I cant, in good consience, stay member to zis. Any more votes zat you make wont apply to me unless I agree to zem. Since zis is a democracy, I am utilising my right to leave it. Please...tell me when we get orders from someone zat is of *higher* rank instead of *comparable* rank. I hope zat you will consider whats good for the X4 before ze selfish wishes of an extremely violent person zat borders on child endangerment."

Havoc shakes his head is disbelief

"Since when is THAT a right in democratic society? What did they teach you at cheese school? If you want to leave, leave! If not, you'll respect the wishes of the group. Votes will apply to you and if you don't agree we'll make them apply to you, sergeant. We can put that to a vote too...If you're not happy with anything but taking orders then you can address me as Sergeant Major and take orders from me. Is that ok with you, Sergeant Renee?"

He does, of course *ignore* Havok, and walks out in protest.

Havoc remains frozen in place for a few seconds as he vents steam then looks at the men remaining in C&C, giving curt nods to those who backed him.

"Thanks..."

He shakes his head as he leans back on one of the desks

"So what were you saying about this mini-path, doc? Could this harm Julia in any way...and you'd better not lie to me!"

Sgt Rex, glad to see you're all in one piece. We were just discussing the whole 'Julia' situation - any thoughts?

Rex (not entirely sure what the guy means by the 'Julia situation') shrugs & grins,

"Hey, I love kids: soft on the outside, crunchy on the inside - although they're a bit hard to pick out of your teeth afterwards..." ::laugh

"I told them I let you live...believe what you will, fact is I'm here without a scratch despite that slap of yours and so are you. I just hope you got whatever it is you needed to get out of your system. Having seen what I've seen, I think you'd be a challenge even for me. The Greens can use a soldier like you and the fact that you respected the sanctity of my daughter made me think twice about giving my all against you. This must be my daughter corrupting my Greenity, right Frenchie? Father first, Green second...damn!"

Rex frowns,

"You're nuttier than a fruitcake, gimp-boy. One 'slap' does not a fight make - at least, not where I come from. Nothing is 'out of my system', unless the Cap' here has come to haul your sorry war criminal ass off to the court martial & execution you so richly deserve, you sick f'ck. You really don't get it, do you? I'm not prepared to fight you 'cos of some sad hormone imbalance - I'm gonna' kill you because you're a psycho' who is too dangerous to allow to remain alive. I didn't join the Greens to torture enemy soldiers or play sick mind games with them, & I'm not gonna' serve with anyone who thinks that sort of war is the way to go about winning our freedom."

"So, you're both feeling great, and you both still think you can kick the other's ass. I think I speak for all of us when I say: what the hell kind of fight was that?"

"I'm not feeling 'great' - Havoc's still breathing. There was no fight. Not only is he a sick bastard, he's got no honour & no courage either. He's a poor excuse for a soldier, & even less of a man. Beating up & torturing baselines who can't even hurt him is his modus operandi - when he faces someone who can match his powers he runs. It's classic 'bully boy', & typical 'Nazi'."

... I'm a jew in Nazi Germany! Would you have me sit in the sidelines?! Do I really have to abandon my family to fight? What difference does it make if I die when she's here, close to me, or away in some strange camp? Who are you to even question the decisions I make regarding my family, Sergeant?"

"Boo, f'ckin' hoo. Cry me a f'ckin' river, gimp-boy. You're no victim, you're the f'ckin' Nazi toturer. Your actions prove that."

Listening to the rest of the coversation [& slowly figuring out what's actually being talked about] Rex adds,

"We're a democracy now? Damn! Thought I'd joined an army. How about this then - Havoc commited attrocities against enemy soldiers - let's vote on how he dies. Unless, Captain," he turns to the Captain, "you really are here to pull rank. If that's the case, then what's it to be? Are you arresting this sicko for his crimes? Or sweeping them under the carpet? If it's the later, then I guess we're playing this by 'Bush administration rules' - so a little 'friendly fire' the next time we're outside will be treated with equal leniency. In any case - either Havoc goes, I kill him, or he kills me. Some things are worth fighting for - basic human decency is one of them. If we let Havoc get away with this, then there's no point in fighting at all."

"As for the girl - hey, I like her fine - it's not her fault her old man's twisted. I do have to question what sort of parent thinks it's a good idea to deprive a child of the companionship of others her own age, a proper education, & places her in an environment that is not only a legitimate enemy target, but full of guys like me. I guess that the gimp is sick on more than just the one level - he just likes to see others suffer."

Archived