Aberrant: War Journal - War Journal

Heritage

Mike looks a bit irritated, but not surprised.

"While I'm willing to appear to treat my Clone's as second class citizens, from your point of view all of them are me since you can't tell the difference. Further, even on a mission that sucks this bad, I volunteered to go."

"That's the way it works, before we split, I had no idea if I was going to be the Clone or the original. ::unsure So I decided to go, knowing darn well that there was a 50% chance that I'd get to suffer. ::nervous

You just remember that the next time one of my brothers sneaks behind enemy lines on a suicide mission. We die so that you don't have to. That was true at Charley when some of us stayed behind to keep the gates open, and that will be true if we are out in the zone and I take a bullet for you." ::halo

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Griff still looks remorseful when he answers.

"I appologize for my hasty words, but perhaps there had been a missunderstanding ::sad . I only assumed that you are the Clone. I really appreciate your engagement in this mission to the fullest. I won´t treat a Clone different than the Original, it´s just that I have to think about what will happen to the rest of the team when you suddenly vaporize. For example, I have planned to put you in as a pointman, because you, beeing a Master Scout, probably have the sharpest senses of us here.

But what happens when we loose contact ::hmmm ? If you are a Clone, you could vaporize and nobody would even notice it until we are half a mile further on the track and stumbling right into an ambush. So this isn´t any kind of "ethical" question for me, but a tactical one."

Griffin holds his hand out to Mike. "Accepted?" ::unsure

X4 break room:

Mike-#2 responds, "I was just wondering how far away we could be and still observe their patrols. Trapping the ADE can wait, doing it right would be hard, might attract attention, and this is just an intell recon. After we know what kind of assalt we'll make we can decide if we want to take it out and when.

Epstein nods sagely.

You're right, that's too much for a recon, and we don't want to assume anything about the following assault - for all we know, they may want the Fox kept fully operational for study.

She cocks her head at Emma.

Looks like it's your turn, ma'm ::smile

X4 C&C:

Walter grins as wide as thou he just got the a thousand years of christmas presents at once. Replying quickly, "Oh no, sir. You have no fears about any sorts of misbehaviour from me. If I were to feel compeled to even scores, I would just pour myself into work and let that balance the scales. You can sleep soundly, Captain, because you can rest assured in your bunk knowing that the *HEAT* won't be blasting down on you like you were next to the mess due to some silly plot for vengence."

The captain's smile is downright wicked ::devil, but he hides it just as quickly.

Well, I'll leave you to it then, sergeant major ::halo

He starts to pace around C&C with his hands behind his back, but then pauses for a moment, seemingly lost in thought - shortly there after, he heads out of C&C and down the hall, stopping outside of Damien's bunk to rap on the door frame.

Can I have a word with you, Sergeant?

Bravo TS:

"Well, Jen, it must be some kind of Karma that we all meet here on the way back to Charlie  . Because that´s why we are here. We have to find and rescue a team from Hole 23 that got lost in the Badlands. When Kelso here is right about it, you have recently warped them out. To be able to find them, we need to find some tracks of them, first. So we should start at the same point they used. It would be much easier for us to find some hints there. On the other hand, we can´t stay out there for very long, so we have to be warped in and out, preferable always back to the point where we stopped on the last round before. Mike is a Warper, but this Mike is just a Clone, and I have no idea about how long he will stay with us and he doesn´t know the Badlands. That are the facts, so far.

At the moment we are still waiting for some neccessary equipment from T&S  ."

Just as Griffin is finishing that statement, a door slides open in the Express Lane wall, and several long bundles of equipment are eagerly grabbed by Colby - seconds later, Kelso's pale face reappears at the window.

That's everything, sir - I threw in some colored smoke for signaling, extra NBC filters for the masks, and some extra batteries for radios and flashlights. If you need anything else at 23, just ask for me here ::lookaround

Li lets Mike and Griff have it out for a bit before speaking up.

For the record, clones are fine by me - the more hands we have, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Her face is grim, but determined.

Yeah, I can get you back into the Badlands - forgive the drama, but make sure your affairs are all in order, because it can get very nasty in there very fast. Let me take care of some stuff real quick, and I'll meet you back in here in 3.5 minutes.

And with that, she's just a purple blur ::teleport

He starts to pace around C&C with his hands behind his back, but then pauses for a moment, seemingly lost in thought - shortly there after, he heads out of C&C and down the hall, stopping outside of Damien's bunk to rap on the door frame.

Can I have a word with you, Sergeant?

"Yea, have at it."

When the Capt enters he see's the dark line and half-filled circle. He sees Damien standing on a chair next to the left half of the wall putting a stick figure in place amid 6 others with stick-wings and stick-swords all in dramatic poses above the line. It looks like the beginning of an epic picture. He gets down off the chair and takes step back after finishing the figure with a pencil, then looks over at the capt. He is wearing loose, black sweatpants with a plain white shirt that has light red flames dancing on it.

"You need somethin'? It not even been an hour yet, I thought you would have let me set longer. This is probably a record..."

"You may as well sit down..." He picks the chair up with the inky black tentacle and sets it next to the end of the bed. He grabs the table and moves it to where the chair was. "Let it never be said that I'm an un-gracious host..."

"Now," he says in a knowing way while appraising his work as far. "You are going to accuse me of not working in a team, when all I did was point out when people were being stupid."

He smiles slightly, climbs on the table and starting to sketch again. "We haden't even gone into the field *to* work as a team. Hell...the only time the 'team' was planning the mission together I was ignored when I asked a question about the it. Right before you sent me to my room. All he had to say is 'Yes, I still want you to carry stuff'. Real horrorshow teamwork there...real horrorshow. So far the only 'team-work' I have seen is the teenage hot-gawk-flirt kind. I dont go for that sh!t. There is more to life then sex and high-school drama." He starts to posisition another figure after finishing the last one.

"But I'm sure you didnt come here to hear my piece...Whats going to happen? Are you a 'get out now' or a 'make you wish you would get out' type?"

((EDIT...Went ahead and added this piece, things will go faster this way))

Griffin holds his hand out to Mike. "Accepted?" ::unsure
Mike-#1 shakes hands saying, "Accepted."

"And tactically speaking, getting permanently maimed is a bad risk, so yeah, I'm a clone. I don't know how long I'll be around. Maybe days, maybe hours. ::unsure

Mike shrugs. "It depends on what happens to the original Mike and how much juice all of us spend. As for point man, that's your call. Most of my experience and power is for urban infiltration, but I've had the standard training."

"I'm also more expendable than the rest of you."

::cool (This last is said without rancor, in a matter of fact tone).

"That's everything, sir - I threw in some colored smoke for signaling, extra NBC filters for the masks, and some extra batteries for radios and flashlights. If you need anything else at 23, just ask for me here."

"That´s fine, thanks. .. Ah! By the way, Sergeant Major, HQ just answered a moment ago. They said I shouldn´t bog the Team down by waiting for you, so you can stay here for a little longer. When we need something else, I give you notice." ::smokin ::devilangel

"Yeah, I can get you back into the Badlands - forgive the drama, but make sure your affairs are all in order, because it can get very nasty in there very fast. Let me take care of some stuff real quick, and I'll meet you back in here in 3.5 minutes."

"Ok, Jen. We will wait for you." ::smile

"....I don't know how long I'll be around. Maybe days, maybe hours......"

"Hmm. Is there any chance of getting an advance warning before you go back to the Quantum-Nirvana?" ::unsure

Griffin turns around to Colby, waving into the direction of the equipment she had piled up in front of her. "So, what have we got here?" ::whatsthat

"....I don't know how long I'll be around. Maybe days, maybe hours......"
"Hmm. Is there any chance of getting an advance warning before you go back to the Quantum-Nirvana?" ::unsure
Mike-#1 answers,

"Mike's the one with the Clone power, not me. That means he can pull the plug whenever he wants, without any warning, and I'd never see it coming. ::unsure That's rare, he'll only do that if he thinks I've been captured or mind controlled or something. ::wacko Also, if he gets disrupted, or god forbid, killed, then I'm gone. ::nervous

Short of that I'll be around until I die, he and I rejoin, or we run out of juice. The juice thing is the big limit, keeping us alive is a drain on him. If we start to run low on juice I'll let you know, but odds are if I start burning through juice like mad you won't need to be told." ::devil

"Keep in mind Mike wants me back almost as much as I want to go back. I want to live long enough to rejoin, that's the closest thing to immortality I've got. ::halo He won't learn or experience anything unless I get back, and a big reason he sent me along was to do that. The chances of me dying from a bullet or q-bolt are MUCH greater than Mike turning me off or us running out of juice."

"Basically you're stuck with me for the duration. Don't worry to much about it."

::blink "Uhm, my turn?" Looking distinctly uncomfortable, Emma fiddles with her hair for a second.

"Truthfully, I vote that I scan someone for a look at their security messures and any location of mines until we have a working map of booby traps. Assuming we can see a way through, I volunteer to go in. I need a closer look to get any more useful info. If I can get inside, maybe I can find out their orders and if any new deployments are eminent. Hell, maybe I can figure out if they know where X-4 is. I'm only really useful if I get IN their base and get a hold of their intel. Is there some way we can knock out their radar without being too obvious? Maybe if I dorm down after the brainscan and our kind 'porter makes a distraction, I can get in and get some more intell before they realize I'm not a friendly. I have to have line of sight to read someone and the truly useful info is on the base. I'm willing to take the risk of setting off an alarm after I get down there and get the info from inside the base if I have a way out."

Pausing for a moment. She looks around for a moment at the other team members.

"The only question is.. can I get something diffinitively useful before I have to evacuate? What do you all think?"

Lobe listens to all of the plans being made, then seems to reach an epiphany, "Look, if we just warp in, then out, then in again, we'll have no idea if the situation at our previous location has changed. I'll volunteer to hang behind in the badlands when the rest of you warp back here."

Noticing the others surprise, and trying to cut off any protest, "Look, I may not be as vocal as our 'friend' Damien, but I'm fairly certain that I can survive out there as long as I need to, without the need for any support equipment. Also, if I do get into any trouble I can teleport myself back here, so no worries. I only ask that I be fitted with a path so I can stay in contact with you guys back here. What do ya think?"

Bravo TS:

Griffin turns around to Colby, waving into the direction of the equipment she had piled up in front of her. "So, what have we got here?"

Colby puts her hands on her hips and grins as she pokes at the gear with her foot.

Okay, we've got our two folding stretchers, four clips of zip ammo, two ball, two shot...uh, four helmet batteries, four handheld radio batteries....six sets of flashlight batteries......six smoke grenades, two red, two blue, two yellow.....six NBC filters-

She looks up at Kelso.

Do they have the suits at 23?

Kelso nods vigorously.

Okay. Uh, two advanced medical kits.....looks like he threw in ten clips of nine millimeter....and ten packets of various frieze-dried food, which we can't eat in the Badlands, but we'll take anyway ::biggrin Oh, and five Geiger counters, too!

Lobe listens to all of the plans being made, then seems to reach an epiphany, "Look, if we just warp in, then out, then in again, we'll have no idea if the situation at our previous location has changed. I'll volunteer to hang behind in the badlands when the rest of you warp back here."

Noticing the others surprise, and trying to cut off any protest, "Look, I may not be as vocal as our 'friend' Damien, but I'm fairly certain that I can survive out there as long as I need to, without the need for any support equipment. Also, if I do get into any trouble I can teleport myself back here, so no worries. I only ask that I be fitted with a path so I can stay in contact with you guys back here. What do ya think?"

Colby shrugs.

Hey, if you say you can survive, I'll take you word for it - anything that makes our job easier, I'm all for it ::thumbsup

In exactly 3.5 minutes (if anyone actually bothered to time her ::wink), Spec. Li returns with her pack over one shoulder and her G1 over the other.

So, are you guys ready to head out?

X4 break room:

"Uhm, my turn?" Looking distinctly uncomfortable, Emma fiddles with her hair for a second.

"Truthfully, I vote that I scan someone for a look at their security messures and any location of mines until we have a working map of booby traps. Assuming we can see a way through, I volunteer to go in. I need a closer look to get any more useful info. If I can get inside, maybe I can find out their orders and if any new deployments are eminent. Hell, maybe I can figure out if they know where X-4 is. I'm only really useful if I get IN their base and get a hold of their intel. Is there some way we can knock out their radar without being too obvious? Maybe if I dorm down after the brainscan and our kind 'porter makes a distraction, I can get in and get some more intell before they realize I'm not a friendly. I have to have line of sight to read someone and the truly useful info is on the base. I'm willing to take the risk of setting off an alarm after I get down there and get the info from inside the base if I have a way out."

Pausing for a moment. She looks around for a moment at the other team members.

"The only question is.. can I get something diffinitively useful before I have to evacuate? What do you all think?"

Epstein bites her lip for a second.

Hmm...okay. If you want to get in real close, I'll go in with you; we should probably be dormed as much as possible. Would you want to scan an officer's head, or would a grunt do?

Damien's Quarters:

"Yea, have at it."

When the Capt enters he see's the dark line and half-filled circle. He sees Damien standing on a chair next to the left half of the wall putting a stick figure in place amid 6 others with stick-wings and stick-swords all in dramatic poses above the line. It looks like the beginning of an epic picture. He gets down off the chair and takes step back after finishing the figure with a pencil, then looks over at the capt. He is wearing loose, black sweatpants with a plain white shirt that has light red flames dancing on it.

The captain steps inside, eyes instinctively darting around an unfamiliar space - when he sees Damien's artwork, his eyebrows rise up in polite curiosity.

"You need somethin'? It not even been an hour yet, I thought you would have let me set longer. This is probably a record..."

"You may as well sit down..." He picks the chair up with the inky black tentacle and sets it next to the end of the bed. He grabs the table and moves it to where the chair was. "Let it never be said that I'm an un-gracious host..."

The captain takes a seat - he looks like he's trying to figure out how to start, when Damien gets the ball rolling.

"Now," he says in a knowing way while appraising his work as far. "You are going to accuse me of not working in a team, when all I did was point out when people were being stupid."

He smiles slightly, climbs on the table and starting to sketch again. "We haden't even gone into the field *to* work as a team. Hell...the only time the 'team' was planning the mission together I was ignored when I asked a question about the it. Right before you sent me to my room. All he had to say is 'Yes, I still want you to carry stuff'. Real horrorshow teamwork there...real horrorshow. So far the only 'team-work' I have seen is the teenage hot-gawk-flirt kind. I dont go for that sh!t. There is more to life then sex and high-school drama." He starts to posisition another figure after finishing the last one.

"But I'm sure you didnt come here to hear my piece...Whats going to happen? Are you a 'get out now' or a 'make you wish you would get out' type?"

The captain frowns, but he lets Damien say his piece – when he’s finished, Delacroix takes a deep breath.

First of all, never assume anything, pretty much ever - I did not come here to accuse you of anything, just to have a little talk.

He looks Damien over for a moment or two.

I don't know if you're aware of how you come off, sergeant - I understand you have valuable input to bring to this team, but your tone and demeanor show nothing but hostility and contempt for your fellow officers. If you come off all snotty and shit, folks are gonna tune you out.

He rubs his smooth head with his hand.

People are going to fight, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes over the dumbest, trivial shit - the trick is, as I see it, to let them straighten stuff out by themselves, unless they seem to be out of control. I made a judgment call that Colby and Epstein would figure that out by themselves, and seeing as they we're going on separate teams, I wasn't really worried about it. Obviously, you disagreed, and you acted as you felt the situation warranted.

Delacroix looks Damien right in the eyes.

I don't disagree with your interpretation of the events - I disagree with how you handled them. They might have been eufiber tentacles, but that counts as 'laying hands on a fellow officer', as far as I'm concerned. And that shit I cannot abide.

He stands up and stretches as he takes in Damien's artwork.

I like to think of myself as not being any sort of 'type', though I suppose anyone can be placed into some kind of group. If I had to pick one, I'd say I'm the 'try to keep a civil tongue in your head' type. I don't think you're stupid - I just think you've got a big mouth and you're not afraid to use it. People might actually listen to your ideas if you don't spit venom every time you speak.

He walks over to the wall and scrutinizes the tiny figures.

Looks like you've got a ways to go here - I'll leave you to your art for awhile. But if we get word that things have gone south out there, be ready to get off the bench and hit the field - if you're lucky, they might even thank you for it ::biggrin

"An officer is preferable. They usually know more pieces of the puzzle than a grunt. So, then I need to read a patrol to get a feel for the mines then get far enough in to scan an officer." Biting her nail, for a sec she eyes Epstein critically. "Thank you for volunteering. We could end up biting off more than we can chew, but I think I can be quick enough to not get you killed." ::wink

"And your take, Jennings? Do you have a better idea?"

First of all, never assume anything, pretty much ever - I did not come here to accuse you of anything, just to have a little talk.

"Thats funny...I always assume the worst." and he shrugs.

People are going to fight, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes over the dumbest, trivial shit - the trick is, as I see it, to let them straighten stuff out by themselves, unless they seem to be out of control. I made a judgment call that Colby and Epstein would figure that out by themselves, and seeing as they we're going on separate teams, I wasn't really worried about it. Obviously, you disagreed, and you acted as you felt the situation warranted.

He looks over at the capt and sits down on the table to give him his attension.

I don't disagree with your interpretation of the events - I disagree with how you handled them. They might have been eufiber tentacles, but that counts as 'laying hands on a fellow officer', as far as I'm concerned. And that shit I cannot abide.

"In all fairness, Colby did as well."

Looks like you've got a ways to go here - I'll leave you to your art for awhile. But if we get word that things have gone south out there, be ready to get off the bench and hit the field - if you're lucky, they might even thank you for it

"Sounds good to me. I havent been able to really get down to it since...well...before the greens. Once I get all of them placed I can get to the details. But...uhhh...yea. Im here for whenever. If they need me to scout or to sit out at a warp point to make sure no one is going to sneak up on 'em and jump 'em when they come in, im here."

"An officer is preferable. They usually know more pieces of the puzzle than a grunt. So, then I need to read a patrol to get a feel for the mines then get far enough in to scan an officer." Biting her nail, for a sec she eyes Epstein critically. "Thank you for volunteering. We could end up biting off more than we can chew, but I think I can be quick enough to not get you killed."  ::wink 

"And your take, Jennings? Do you have a better idea?"

Jennings nods.

"The two of us will try and get as accurate a scan as possible. Problem is we'll have to neutralise anyone we scan, unless you can do so surreptitiously?" He raises an eyebrow at his fellow telepath.

"Look, I may not be as vocal as our 'friend' Damien, but I'm fairly certain that I can survive out there as long as I need to, without the need for any support equipment. Also, if I do get into any trouble I can teleport myself back here, so no worries. I only ask that I be fitted with a path so I can stay in contact with you guys back here. What do ya think?"

"That´s a point to think about carefully. It has some positive aspects but otherwise I am hesitating to let somebody stay there alone, even if he could ´port himself out of harms way."

"So, are you guys ready to head out?"

"Nearly, we just have to pick up this stuff and we are ready to go." And starts to put some of the stuff into his backpack.

"Everybody grab some of that stuff, proper distribution can wait until we are at Hole 23."

He waits until all equipment is stowed away, then he turns to face Jen. "Next stop: Hole 23, please." ::smile

::rolleyes "But of course I can."  ::blush "I prefer my targets to know I'm in their minds, but this is a different situation. They won't know I'm scanning them."

Mike#2 says, "So all you need is a way to get close, or perhaps a telescope and a target from far away? Maybe you could just get someone at random to find out who you really need to get?"

Emma nods. "That's pretty much the plan of action. Read someone from a safe distance to find out defensive and offensive status and then head in to find the ranking officer's intel. If we read the right person, I shouldn't have any problem getting right to the commanding officer." ::rolleyes "Ah.. the usefullness of hijacking the enemies brain. Makes for the most interesting reading." ::tongue

Since you two are apparently the only other people who did not survive the 'Wrath of DAD', I'll introduce you three. Lieutenant Smith, Sergeant Special Operations Rex, this is Doctor Genesis Li, though I guess she's a Specialist now. Jen, this is Smith, our team medic, and Rex, my fiancé

Rex grins at Colby's introduction & takes the opportunity to playfully squeeze her bum as he plants a kiss on her cheek in a 'betrothed' sort of a way... ::biggrin

I see. Very nice to meet you, Rex - I hope you can finally make an honest woman out of her

Rex manages to not flinch as the purple sparks dance up his arm, but does watch them with interest for a moment before turning his gaze over Li's body with his usual less-than-subtle manner,

"Nice to meet you too... Of course we're not married yet," the reptile guy glances towards Colby with a wink ::wink , "you've still got a chance to sample the pleasures of the Rexster yourself before he's officially off the market..." ::sly

"Everybody grab some of that stuff, proper distribution can wait until we are at Hole 23."

Following Lobe's lead, Rex grabs a reasonable amount of the gear (using arms & tail) & awaits the next stage of the operation.

WS Bravo:

Rex grins at Colby's introduction & takes the opportunity to playfully squeeze her bum as he plants a kiss on her cheek in a 'betrothed' sort of a way... ::biggrin

Colby yelps and slaps Rex's arm, biting back a laugh. ::blush ::biggrin

"Nice to meet you too... Of course we're not married yet," the reptile guy glances towards Colby with a wink ::wink, "you've still got a chance to sample the pleasures of the Rexster yourself before he's officially off the market..." ::sly

Both women laugh, and Colby punches his arm a little harder this time.

Honey, you promised you wouldn't start sleeping around until after the wedding! ::laugh

He waits until all equipment is stowed away, then he turns to face Jen. "Next stop: Hole 23, please."

Li bows low and makes a dramatic flourish while speaking with an antiquated accent.

"Your wish is my command, sir!" ::biggrin

She slides her helmet on her head and slaps down the visor.

Sergeant, maybe you should let them know how we're coming?

Colby thoughtfully rubs her chin.

Yeah, that might be a good idea ::sly

She starts mouthing words again, stops to wait for a silent reply, then nods and mouths 'ten-four' and gives them all a thumbs up. The warper rubs her hands together with glee.

Okay, here we go-

Purple sparks shoot off of her and dance all over the hallway - the enlisted men in line at TS laugh, gasp and protest as the harmless energy snakes and leaps among them. Colby looks a little alarmed herself.

Wait, you're gonna make the warp right here? ::shocked

Li cackles maniacally and has to shout over a sudden rush of wind and a growing high-pitched whine.

Why not, all the warp-pads are currently spoken for!

The warper then spreads her hands and a hole appears in the air, ringed by the crackling lightening that arcs from her fingertips. A wild-eyed Kelso slams himself against the glass as a month's worth of filing is blown into a cyclone around his office.

You can't do that here!

Li just shrugs.

I just did - c'mon, slowpokes, these things don't maintain themselves, hop on through!

Beyond the warp can be seen a dimly-lit hallway roughly carved in stone, the floor of which slopes sharply downward and away. A few stray pieces of Kelso's paperwork whirl and dive down the corridor like eager puppies.

Damien's Chamber of the Arts:

"In all fairness, Colby did as well."

The captain nods and shrugs - yeah, it's a fair point.

"Sounds good to me. I havent been able to really get down to it since...well...before the greens. Once I get all of them placed I can get to the details. But...uhhh...yea. Im here for whenever. If they need me to scout or to sit out at a warp point to make sure no one is going to sneak up on 'em and jump 'em when they come in, im here."

Delacroix nods crisply.

Alright then - I'll see you around.

With a last appreciative look at Damien's drawing, he steps out into the hall.

Recon Central:

"The two of us will try and get as accurate a scan as possible. Problem is we'll have to neutralise anyone we scan, unless you can do so surreptitiously?"

Epstein sits up a little straighter.

Wow, I forgot you were a telepath, too, sir - unless I actually didn't know yet, and I'm just being stupid ::confused ::tongue

She dusts off her jumpsuit and murmurs to herself.

Guess I better stop thinking all those dirty little thoughts...

And here she slides an eye towards Ernold and grins like the proverbial cat with the canary ::sly ::devil

Once again the professional, she addresses the three officers.

So how soon do we leave, and what are we going to bring with us? And what does Ernie do?

Griffin listens to the conversation between Colby, Jen and Rex, shaking his head and barely manages to not burst out in a laugh. ::bigsmile

"Sergeant, maybe you should let them know how we're coming?"

Colby thoughtfully rubs her chin.

"Yeah, that might be a good idea."

"Yeah, would be better to do that. The boys at 23 are a little nervous about unanounced guests."

When all that paper starts whirling around and Griffin sees Kelsos paniced face, he couldn´t stay calm any more and starts laughing. ::smiley1 ::devil

I just did - c'mon, slowpokes, these things don't maintain themselves, hop on through!

Forcefully calming himself down, he quickly moves over to the Warp-Portal and waves the rest of the Team through it.

"You´ve heard the Lady, move on!"

Then he follows them through the Portal, quickly making a step aside to make room for Jen. (OOC: I assume that she has to be the last to go through)

"Home, sweet home." ::sarcasm

"Welcome to Hole 23, or how the folks call it here, Hades." ::wink

Ernold looks uncomfortable as the conversation suddenly focuses on him.

"Are you talking about me or Plato? I kinda thought that while you were all talking about maybe risking going dormed you all assumed that I would go dormed either way..."

Ernold shuffles his feet a bit, looks at Epstein then back at Jennings.

"I'm quiet, I don't show up on ADE and if a problem crops up, Plato takes over..."

Alrighty then. He's the back up distraction, should one be needed. Either way, you are a backup fighter, right, Ernold? Having seen what you can do with a little provocation, seems to me you are the crazy madcat gun. ::biggrin So.. immeasurably useful. ::tongue

Considering our need for stealth, it might be best for you to stay behind with the others till we need you. Hopefully a two man team will be small enough we can get in without notice. Its best if we dont' set off any alarms and Plato is sure to make their screens blip. I'm sure Epstein and I can get in and out without too much interference. We don't want them to get their backs up if they realize we are on the base. We don't need them fortifying before what ever force to be sent later has a chance to reign down upon their base and raise it to the ground. ::devilangel

*sigh* And if we are found.. atleast there is another telepath to attempt it again later, should the unlikely happen.

WS Bravo:

Li just shrugs.

Beyond the warp can be seen a  dimly-lit hallway roughly carved in stone, the floor of which slopes sharply downward and away. A few stray pieces of Kelso's paperwork whirl and dive down the corridor like eager puppies.

Mike #1 grabs his gear, puts his gas mask to his face, and goes through.

You can't do that here!

Rex glances at Kelso with a raised eyebrow, then looks at the warp, then back at the pencil-pusher,

"Yeah - riiight..." ::sly

the reptile-man grabs his gear & steps through the portal. Once on the other side he casually grabs one of the fluttering pieces of paperwork, loudly & messily blows his nose on it, then tosses it back through the warp, over his shoulder, towards Kelso... ::devil

Hole 23:

The sloping hallway is 15 feet wide by 8 feet tall, and at almost a thirty degree incline just past the warp. As Li passes through, the warp whooshes shut, revealing a squat gun turret behind them that points out towards the outside world. At the foot of the incline, the hallway levels out: industrial shelving units line the walls, and curtained doorways lead off to either side, two to the left and one to the right. From down the hall comes the sound of a tinny chip player and the smell of chemical toilets.

Standing in a ragged semi-circle at the end of the hall slouch the handful of semi-able bodied men and women who call Hole 23 'Hades.' They appear to be held together with brown-stained gauze and cloth tape, their faces streaked with dirt as they do there best to stand at attention, weapons over their shoulders, hands shaking from exhaustion.

A tall officer with captain's bars steps forward, his hair clipped tightly to his skull - his right arm is in a filthy sling, and there's a nasty fresh scar gouged across his left cheek, but his clear pale eyes and erect posture still command respect. He tosses off a crisp salute and even manages a thin smile, a smile his eyes will never share; his voice is sharp and penetrating.

Ladies and gentleman, I'm Captain Anthony Ambroz - welcome to 9th Battalion.

Alrighty then. He's the back up distraction, should one be needed. Either way, you are a backup fighter, right, Ernold? Having seen what you can do with a little provocation, seems to me you are the crazy madcat gun.  So.. immeasurably useful. 

Ernold seems unsure how to answer...confirming it would be asking to be put in front of Joey's big canons and denying it...denying it would be really bad considering that Epstein was just there listening... ::lookaround

"Ahh..."

Considering our need for stealth, it might be best for you to stay behind with the others till we need you.

Ernold smiles

"Right.."

Hopefully a two man team will be small enough we can get in without notice. Its best if we dont' set off any alarms and Plato is sure to make their screens blip. I'm sure Epstein and I can get in and out without too much interference.

"Eps...tein?"

We don't want them to get their backs up if they realize we are on the base. We don't need them fortifying before what ever force to be sent later has a chance to reign down upon their base and raise it to the ground.

"Now wait a minute! First I resent your implication that I would make their screens blip. My saying I'm quiet is like my saying I'm good with my fingers..."

Ernold pointedly stares at her breasts for half a second then back at her eyes.

"If anyone risks setting off their screens its one of you mindreaders while scanning one of their squads. If that happens Plato's one of your best bets at keeping you all alive. As you've mentioned, if anyone can create a distraction, he can. Also, what are you going to do if at the base you need a card or key to get in? Kill or knockout one of their soldiers? Do you know anyone better than me to swipe one off of them? Well...Do you?"

Ernold suddenly looks embarassed and laughs nervously

"Ah heheh! Right...ah...sorry..." ::lookaround

. Also, what are you going to do if at the base you need a card or key to get in? Kill or knockout one of their soldiers? Do you know anyone better than me to swipe one off of them? Well...Do you?"

Ernold suddenly looks embarassed and laughs nervously

"Ah heheh! Right...ah...sorry..." ::lookaround

Jennings raises an eyebrow critically.

"Well I have no idea how good you are, since I've never seen you do it. Firstly, what I have seen is you creating general chaos, which is only useful in certain situations. Secondly, I know how good I am at it. So convince me."

Jennings raises an eyebrow critically.

"Well I have no idea how good you are, since I've never seen you do it. Firstly, what I have seen is you creating general chaos, which is only useful in certain situations. Secondly, I know how good I am at it. So convince me."

Epstein looks thoughtful.

Well he did steal Colby's bra while she was wearing it, so the guy does have some skill. ::sly

Looking over the wounds of the Captain & his men, Rex shrugs & winks,

"This is where you tell us that we, 'Should see what the other guy looks like', right?" ::wink

The lizard-chap waits for the team leader to take the initiative... ::lookaround

When the warp collapses, Griffin takes a quick look around to see where at Hole 23 they came out. Seeing those people standing at the foot of the slope surprises him a little bit, he hasn´t expected that kind of welcome, but he is really shocked ::shocked when he realises that there are only that few of them and in what a bad shape they are ::shocked .

*Gosh! It got even worse than before. They really need all the help they can get!* ::shocked

Composing himself, he walks down the slope to meet Captain Ambroz. Two meters in front of him he snaps into attention and give them all a salute.

"X-Ped 4 Team. At your service, Sir!"

Epstein looks thoughtful.

Well he did steal Colby's bra while she was wearing it, so the guy does have some skill. 

Using her hand to shield her face, Emma snickers. "I don't know how useful, stealing undergarments will prove to be, but I'm not opposed to Ernold's help, Jennings, if you don't think it will jeopardize the recon. He does seem to be a nicely sneaky young man. ::wink Gotta admit them were some impressive skills."

She mockingly deteriorates into a heavy southern accent. "Glad to have such a man at my back any day.. now my front... that's another matter!" ::tongue

Using her hand to shield her face, Emma snickers. "I don't know how useful, stealing undergarments will prove to be, but I'm not opposed to Ernold's help, Jennings, if you don't think it will jeopardize the recon. He does seem to be a nicely sneaky young man.  ::wink Gotta admit them were some impressive skills."

"All right, he comes along. But if you're anything but business out there..." He gives Ernold a hard stare.

"Anything else you want to discuss before we head out?"

Hole 23:

Mike snaps to attention, these men and women deserve it.

Capt Ambroz gives Mike a nod - they share a look of mutual respect.

Looking over the wounds of the Captain & his men, Rex shrugs & winks,

"This is where you tell us that we, 'Should see what the other guy looks like', right?" ::wink

The lizard-chap waits for the team leader to take the initiative... ::lookaround

The captain frowns a bit at the comment, but there is a chuckle or two from a few of the 'walking wounded'.

Composing himself, he walks down the slope to meet Captain Ambroz. Two meters in front of him he snaps into attention and give them all a salute.

"X-Ped 4 Team. At your service, Sir!"

Ambroz nods.

Thank you for coming so quickly, lieutenant - as much as I hate to admit it, we could really use a hand.

The steely-eyed captain looks over at Li.

If you don't mind, we need a warper right now - we have some wounded to evacuate, and it takes forever for us to power up our t-port.

Li nods.

Of course, show me the way.

The captain turns to the lieutenant by his side, a wiry man with a friendly but tired face.

Lt. Wiseman, please see to settling in the rest of our guests - at ease, men.

Ambroz leads Li down one of the side corridors, and there is a collective sigh of relief as the ragged bunch of soldiers suddenly wilts, put down their weapons, and hobble forward to warmly greet the men and women of X4.

So good to see you... ::laugh

We're done, man... ::confused

So how long are you staying? ::sly

Wiseman, who's left arm dangles uselessly by his side, steps forward to firmly shake Griff's hand.

I can't believe your here, man - thought you could stay away from Hades, didya? ::biggrin

He turns to the rest of the newcomers.

I can't say how much it means to have you all here, even if you are just following orders ::tongue I'd like you to meet our people, at least the ones who're still standing. Let's see, First Sergeant Vance is with the wounded, like that'll help them ::rolleyes

There's a dry chuckle from the 23 regulars.

I'm Lieutenant Wiseman, ah...over there is Corporal Martin.

A short cheerful-looking fellow waves stiffly, clutching his left side in pain.

Um....Private Budd is the guy with the bottle of Jack over there...

Budd nods but doesn't quite smile - his right leg is in a dirty cast.

Private Chance is around here somewhere - Lori, where are you?

Over here!

The fairly attractive looking private is giving Lobe the eye. His medical training notes the bags under her eyes, moist forehead and the sweat stains under her arms; the woman is clearly feverish, and shouldn't be up and around ::unsure

Ah, I see you're doing your part to help the doc, well done ::wink Private Anthony is over in the corner over there, curiously free of wounds, I might add ::sarcasm

There is a groan from the others, and the waspish little man looks defensive.

Decon is with the injured, which leaves only Sid - Sidney, please manifest yourself!

I'm coming!

There is a rather loud shuffling noise, and from out of a nearby Port-a-Potty comes one of the ugliest Cobras on God's green earth. His black muscle T reveals arms covered in knobby clumps of tough skin, and his face is like a sack of moldy potatoes, but when he grins, a warm smile cracks through the rough terrain. The Cobra limps on a massive improvised crutch made of scrap iron, because his right leg ends just below the hip, the pink mass of tissue poking out of his cut-off camo pants.

Griff, is that you? You dumb motherfvcker, why'd you come back here? ::wink

Colby seems to be overewhelmed by both the state of the soldiers and the warmth of their greeting - she takes a swig from the bottle of Jack offered by Budd and just tries to process all the emotions.

X4:

"All right, he comes along. But if you're anything but business out there..." He gives Ernold a hard stare.

"Anything else you want to discuss before we head out?"

Epstein frowns with concentration.

I guess gear is the last question. And Ernie, please stop staring at my boobs, they're not all that special anyway ::rolleyes

Over here!

The fairly attractive looking private is giving Lobe the eye. His medical training notes the bags under her eyes, moist forehead and the sweat stains under her arms; the woman is clearly feverish, and shouldn't be up and around

Ah, I see you're doing your part to help the doc, well done.

Lobe glances at Private Chance, initially 'checking her out' (always looking for a good time ::cool ) then notices her sickness. Lobe walks over and gently places the back of his hand on her forehead then motions to a nearby chair, "Have a seat... how long have you had this fever?"

Lobe's going to attempt to diagnose and see if he can treat mundanely with his medical supplies, otherwise Healing her.

Thank you for coming so quickly, lieutenant - as much as I hate to admit it, we could really use a hand.

The steely-eyed captain looks over at Li.

If you don't mind, we need a warper right now - we have some wounded to evacuate, and it takes forever for us to power up our t-port.

Li nods.

Of course, show me the way.

The captain turns to the lieutenant by his side, a wiry man with a friendly but tired face.

Lt. Wiseman, please see to settling in the rest of our guests - at ease, men.

"Okay, folks!. You have heard the Captain. Take a look around and see if you could help them. We will stay here for a little time."

Ambroz leads Li down one of the side corridors, and there is a collective sigh of relief as the ragged bunch of soldiers suddenly wilts, put down their weapons, and hobble forward to warmly greet the men and women of X4.

So good to see you... 

We're done, man... 

So how long are you staying? 

Wiseman, who's left arm dangles uselessly by his side, steps forward to firmly shake Griff's hand.

I can't believe your here, man - thought you could stay away from Hades, didya? 

"Nah, couldn´t let you have all of the fun, Earl ::wink . It´s good to see you ::smile ." Griffin shakes Wisemans hand firmly, but carefully.

"True is, I am just ten days back into active service and only one day at X-4. Captain Delacroix asked for volunteers to help you out with the lost boys. So, here I am. Because I am the only one there who know something about the shit out there in the badlands, he asked me to be primus inter pares for this mission.

But I think I should introduce you to the others. Spec Li should be a familiar face to you," nodding into the direction where Jen and Ambroz dissapeared.

He leads him to the rest of the bunch. "This little cuty over here is First Sergeant Marena Colby, one of the finest marksman, .errr.... -women, I have ever seen ::smile ."

"This big fellow over here is SSO Rex. I still doesn´t know his real name. ::wink "

"Over here is our resident Combat Medic, Lieutenant Marcus `Lobe` Smith."

"And last, but not least, Master Scout Mike Roe."

He turns to the rest of the newcomers.

I can't say how much it means to have you all here, even if you are just following orders  I'd like you to meet our people, at least the ones who're still standing. Let's see, First Sergeant Vance is with the wounded, like that'll help them

There's a dry chuckle from the 23 regulars.

I'm Lieutenant Wiseman, ah...over there is Corporal Martin.

A short cheerful-looking fellow waves stiffly, clutching his left side in pain.

Um....Private Budd is the guy with the bottle of Jack over there...

Budd nods but doesn't quite smile - his right leg is in a dirty cast.

Over here!

The fairly attractive looking private is giving Lobe the eye. His medical training notes the bags under her eyes, moist forehead and the sweat stains under her arms; the woman is clearly feverish, and shouldn't be up and around

Ah, I see you're doing your part to help the doc, well done.

Griffin goes around with Wiseman and greets the others. Waving ´Hello´ or shaking hands as it fits. When Lori Chance arrives, he offers her his hand.

"Nice to see you again, Lori ::biggrin . I believed that I had to search you out there ::unsure ." Nodding into the direction of the entrance.

Private Anthony is over in the corner over there, curiously free of wounds, I might add.

There is a groan from the others, and the waspish little man looks defensive.

Decon is with the injured, which leaves only Sid - Sidney, please manifest yourself!

I'm coming!

There is a rather loud shuffling noise, and from out of a nearby Port-a-Potty comes one of the ugliest Cobras on God's green earth. His black muscle T reveals arms covered in knobby clumps of tough skin, and his face is like a sack of moldy potatoes, but when he grins, a warm smile cracks through the rough terrain. The Cobra limps on a massive improvised crutch made of scrap iron, because his right leg ends just below the hip, the pink mass of tissue poking out of his cut-off camo pants.

Griff, is that you? You dumb motherfvcker, why'd you come back here?

A broad grin over his face, Griffin goes over to that ugly guy.

"Hey, Stoney! You old son of a bitch ::laugh ! ´thought they had already fed you to the rats, even if I believe they are smart enough to stay away from you ::biggrin ::tongue .

After all, couldn´t let you have all the fun, so I invited some people over there to join the gang ::wink , at least for a while."

Looking down at the stump and back up, he starts to offer Stone his left hand. (OOC: Stone has his right one occupied with that crutch.)

"Ah, shit." Griffin changes his mind and gives that ugly guy that kind of a strong hug that a good friend deserves, but with care about the missing leg.

"Good to see you alive." ::smile

"Does that grow back again?" ::unsure

Griff, is that you? You dumb motherfvcker, why'd you come back here?

Glancing at his fellow Cobra's amputation, Rex nods whilst commenting,

"Big-ass mosquitoes you guys have got around here I guess..." ::sly

"This big fellow over here is SSO Rex. I still doesn´t know his real name.  "

Rex smiles as he offers his hand,

"Real name's Caestus Pax - but I've found it best not to let too many people know that..." ::lookaround ::devil ::tongue ::wink

Archived