[OpNet] Me and my People

Malu Hekili

"India Syndrome" this is what I was told was happening with me. If you're not familiar with the term, basically it's about how some primitive cultures in asia revere novas. As litteral gods. Not quite like kami-sama budhiam, but worship in large numbers the same.

I am a native Hawaiian. Hundreds of people camp outside my house. They pray to me. I did not encourage them, it just happened. When I realized they were not going away, well, now I am their goddess. I care for them.

Unfortuantly someone doesn't like this. I don't know if it's the Directive, Utopia or what. Already, a friend of mine, her brother was killed. I have had someone try to kill me, and the boy I chose as their "leader" is missing.

Really what I'm hoping for by posting here is some advice, your point of view about "India Syndrome", whatever you might have to say.

It isn't like the Directive to use such shadow tactics within their national boundries. They don't need to, really. They have got the FBI to make your life miserable.

Likewise, the Utopians would prefer for you to either go underground or just go away. Unless you are packing some major kick-ass, this doesn't fit their MO.

What is the Michaelite activity in you area? This could be them doing some reconissence before they make another run at you. They also like to come at you through your baseline contacts, either 'converting' them or killing them if that fails. Try some cross-denominational outreach and see who blanches.

Strangely enough, you could have pissed off some local Teragen who just hate baselines, no matter what. They could find what you are doing akin to 'sleeping with the animals'. Contact some of your local Terats and see if any Harvester cells are operating in the area. I am sure the Pandemonium or Primacy would be willing to help.

As for your followerers: 1) What do you stand for politically, morally, and personally? 2) What do your followers think you stand for?

You need to get some of that nailed down before you find yourself caught in a whole storm of trouble.

If I can help, let me know.

Malu, I get the same thing from people all the time. No way you'd catch me doing the God and protector thing though. I can't even look after myself let alone dozens of people. What made you do it? They would have gotten bored if you just ignored them I am sure.

Call the cops and report the kid missing for a start. Utopia will get involved and they can sort out any kind of mess that arises I am sure.

This is a prime example of how to become public enemy #1 in the United States. Take a look through history, the U.S. has a habit of keeping surveillance on cult activity, and have even had physical confrontations with some (to varying degrees of success).

You Malu are the head of a cult, and the authorities will not look kindly on that. If you are sincere about not really wanting this, stop encouraging the behavior. Electing a leader was just plain foolish.

Oh, and one more thing. Now that you are the spiritual leader for these people, they will expect you to solve their problems, including your current predicament. Fail them and things could get ugly for you.

Atwight, I have no doubt that she is having, and will continue to have, problems with the authorities. Unfortuneatly, I don't think that the law is trying to kill her and kidnap and/or kill her followers. When they do these things, it is under the auspeces of legal action, like a raid with a search warrant and the like. Something else has decided to go after her. I am still trying to figure out what.

Malu-Fury-Hekili (I'll use your full name unless you tell me otherwise), do you have any more information on your predicament?

Jager,

I though it maybe Utopia because my only clue involved them. After pulling in some favors, I learned the assasin was on their payroll as a freelance forensics photographer. Maybe just a coincidence. I don't think its Michaelites, they're not to big among the natives. It's not the Teragen, they've given me their support on this. The assasin was a nova, also the death of my dear friends brother could only have been caused by a nova. The Hawaiian authorities have not gotten involved..

What do I stand for? Preservation of the natural world? Jeez, I don't even know. They however see me as the goddess of their islands, who will pull their culture out from underneath the filth that's been burying it. Is this what I want? Maybe.

Call me Malu, or just Fury. either is fine.

Trauma,

I wasn't doing anything, they weren't getting bored. I tried to ignore them at first, but more of them kept coming. Of coarse I filled a missing person report. Nothing has been done.

Atwight,

I know the authorities are not happy about this. But I never said I didn't want them. I only called Tashiki "leader" because he is who I chose to speak with. I was having trouble one evening speaking to them all so I chose to speak to only one of them. Now they see him as my chosen because sometimes I prefer to speak to them through him. And, I have no intentions on failing them.

Malu, hate to tell you this, but whomever is 'helping' you with your followers may call themselves Terats, but they're not. Not good ones at the least.

The Null Manifesto is more than just about being a Nova bad ass and doing what you want. Being overly involved with baselines in any way is against the Manifesto. Starting a cult and having worshipers is a big no no. My friend Jay "The Saint" Prince did this, now he's dead. I won't go into the ugly details, but his involving himself with baselines is directly responsible for his death.

Smarten up and ditch the baselines. I don't have a major problem with baselines as a whole, but those who feel the need to deify us due to the incredible lack of self worth they have annoy me to no end. Any Nova who starts and maintains a cult deserves whatever crap lands on their heads.

I didn't start this. I didn't form any cult. I came to the realization that they are going to worship me on any account. I may not have told them to go away and until recently I did not encourage them. I wouldn't say the near majority of native Hawaiians have a lack of self worth, perhaps it's their pride that is the problem.

I've read the Null Manifesto. I know it's not an excuse to do whatever the hell you want. How is allowing their adulation going against the words of Mal?

Scripture is the Terat with whom I've spoken. Or is he untrustworthy?

[This message has been edited by Malu-Fury-Hekili (edited 06-06-2001).]

Malu, Scripture is righteous, but is a little out of touch with many of the more active Teragen cells. I can't say that I am suprised that the authorities aren't getting too involved. More often than not, they have 'better' things to do than get killed in the middle of a nova on nova struggle.

As for the likely suspects, I am still up in the air. If you are in tight with the Teragen and Scripture is mentoring you, then most others would leave you alone.

There has got to be something that you have missed. Some clue that has been overlooked. Could it be someone who hates you or is obsessed with you? They would have to have some connections to bring in this hitter you mentioned. Have you pissed off some of the major concerns on the Islands? If you are inspiring the native Hawaiians, are there any groups with enough pull that you are upsetting? Enough to hire an assassin to kill you? It is always a big risk to move outside of normal channels.

If it is Utopia, then you need to 1) stay alive, 2) figure out why they want you dead, and 3) once you figure out, decide what you are going to do about it. Whenever they can, Utopia likes to move around with overwhelming force, so you might want to make some nova friends and keep them close. It still doesn't jive with Utopia's usual sticht of legal manuevering and UN bullshit.

Let me know how things develop.

I'd say get out of there before more of those people get hurt. Move to somewhere where people wont worship you. I suggest Detroit, they'll follow you around with cameras and ask for your signiture but try and tell them what to do and you'll get a big finger in the eye.

Despite the fact that Malu didn't ask for them, just up and abandoning her followers might not be the right thing, either. It isn't that she is responsible for them or to them (I believe that you are only responsible to yourself), but we live in an imperfect world were other peoples failing and reactions should be taken into account. Besides, I hear that the Detroit press murder.

Thanks Jager, besides, should I really let these people whoever they are bully me around like this? It only makes want to defy them more.

****This post is from Malu!!!!!!!! Lucious and I share a computer sometimes, oops.

[This message has been edited by Lucious_Clay (edited 06-07-2001).]

I don't see the problem with this, Prodigy. If Ms. Heliki's people have chosen to do this of their own free will without her encouragement, that is their choice. Baselines will deify us regardless of our intent or desire. Look at just how much attention the big faces of the XWF get.

I agree with you, yes, that it could be an indication of low self-worth on the part of the native population, but I tend to doubt it. My late comrade Thomas (despite what Father Ryan has said) believed that Novas were placed on this earth to care for the baseline nation. Now, while I don't particularly care for that burden myself, if Ms. Heliki cares enough about these natives to protect them, that's her choice to make. Although it's rather obtuse by most modern points-of-view, I'd rather have Ms. Heliki's version of caring about baselines than what Jager is doing.

[This message has been edited by Ashnod (edited 06-08-2001).]

I don't know. Those people are getting hurt because Malu is there. If she goes they might be safer.

Jager, you're right about the Detroit press, they tell it like it is and then some.

Trauma, it is just a bad situation, no matter how you look at it. If Malu leaves, she might be saving their lives, but is denying them some source of comfort and hope. Furthermore, leaving might not save their lives. Anytime you have a large minority native population with zip for wealth or power, the ruling majority is nervous. Give the minority a nova (aka Power), and they get really nervous. I still think that this may be baseline instigated.

Ashnod, my concern is that what I read in the Manifesto and happen to agree with is that Nova evolution requires seperation from baselines. We are outside their law, their culture and their morality. We should not try to bring them along as we create our own society.

We often use the analogy that Novas are above human law and society just as humans are above chimpanzee law and society. Doesn't it follow then that chimpanzees should not be brought to follow human law and society? It is beyond their ken. So it follows that we cannot expect baselines to be a part of our society.

Encouraging cults based around us only holds us back, as we see in this case because a Nova is having to expend energy in trying to protect baselines. It also hurts the baselines, we are the examples they cannot live up to. Our continued presence kills their own sense of worth.

That is my concern.

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:
It also hurts the baselines, we are the examples they cannot live up to. Our continued presence kills their own sense of worth.

A worthy concern, Sir. Stepping back from the problem to gain a different perspective I would like to know what you think of a particular hypothetical.

Imagine a society based on you. On your abilities, hopes, dreams, aspirations, concerns. Imagine that it is not a paradise but a happy productive world lived according to your ideals nonetheless. Now imagine me in your perfect world. The question of whether I could become you is moot as I will not. The reasons why are unimportant. The two questions I would like to know your answer to are these;

- What is my place in this hypothetical world?

- Does being a baseline change this answer? If so, how?

You're all invited to participate in the discussion. It was just the manner of phrasing James used that shook the questions down into my conscious mind.

While there are certainly mutliple Hyper-Intelligent novas out there, there are also a host of really dumb and/or insane ones. Intelligence alone shouldn't be a criteria for joining a nova society. Having an MR node makes novas superior in some things to baselines, not all things.

I'll also point out that societies are most often controlled by the most clever and not the smartest. Josef Stalin was a dullard in a room full of Phds. He ended up killing or co-opting all of these much smarter men and ruling one of the mighest nations on earth. The brighest of us should be more wary of their own arrogance. I have never met anyone whose predictions were 100% accurate, ever.

Why on earth would anyone want to be worshiped? Isn't life difficult enough without having people look at you "for all their spiritual needs!" Malu, ditch the cult, try being normal for a while, its loads more fun.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wizard:
Imagine a society based on you. On your abilities, hopes, dreams, aspirations, concerns. Imagine that it is not a paradise but a happy productive world lived according to your ideals nonetheless.

Actually, from my own point of view, I'm already there. Granted, I'm not looking at the "big picture," but I'm extremely satisfied with my current situation. The people I work with seem happy as well. We all take great pride in building our bridges and high-rises, our factories and impiments. The tools we create male life easier and more productive for others as well. Again, this is just my little piece of the world.

Quote:
Now imagine me in your perfect world. The question of whether I could become you is moot as I will not. The reasons why are unimportant. The two questions I would like to know your answer to are these;

- What is my place in this hypothetical world?

- Does being a baseline change this answer? If so, how?

You're all invited to participate in the discussion. It was just the manner of phrasing James used that shook the questions down into my conscious mind.

Almost all of the men and women I work with are baselines. I don't share Malu's quandry as the folk whom I associate with are professionals who are paid to be on these jobsites. As to your place in my world, how would you like to help out?

As to normal folk being in danger due to physical proximity of Novas:
1) We all live in a dangerous world.
2) People who are aware of danger can take steps to protect themselves. In my own case, we wear hard-hats, safety glasses, steel-toed shoes and such. Perhaps Malu could encourage the more responsible individuals among the throng to orginize the crowd and provide for security.

Ahem. Could we stop with the philospohical discussion and get to helping poor Malu's followers?

Does any one of you have connections in the Hawaiian Police or PU? Maybe you could find out who is quashing the investigation? It could just be Utopia PR making usre that bad stuff about Novas doesn't get media time.

How about the telepaths out there? Can you read the followers minds to see if one of them is responsible? Maybe someone got jealous of the leader fellow and killed him for it...I've heard worse.

Trauma, the police have other things they could be doing besides getting killed in nova on nova violence. Sad to say, but many police departments have that kind of unwritten policy. Sure, they will send out some cars and assign an investigative team to the case, but it won't be a priority.

As for PU, they are in kind of a quandry here. Not only does this case involve two (Lucious and the assassin) or more ex-Utopians, it also involves an aspect of novas that Utopian tries to keep under wraps (Nova cults). I am sure that Malu's proximity to Lucious means they are covertly looking into this, but then so is the Directive (its in their charter). The PR nightmare involved here would give even the most righteous T2M member pause before illegally intervening.

Basically, this is an internal US matter and the local authorities aren't likely to do much. The more PU becomes involved, the more likely the Directive will try to counter them. I am afraid that Malu and company are going to have to find some personal allies in this.

The fact remains, Jager that as long as she (?) continues to encourage this behavior, those innocents will continue to be injured and killed.

Go to the Directive Malu. I know this may sound absured to some, but they will help, it is in their best intrests. If you cooperate with the authorities you can avoid most of the difficulties that would occur if they intervened without your help. I'm not saying there is no risk in this, but it is better than trying to go this alone and gives you the resources of an international police organization. It also puts you on the right side of the the law.

I really can't argue with that. At the very least, you should be able to figure out just how much they know by how they react. Be careful though, your Teragen affiliation will not sit well with them. Do remind them that you are a citizen.

One thing to remember; if they help you, they will expect some help in the future. They can't legally make you do anything, but casually pissing them off ain't too bright.

Thanks everyone, I really do take all that you've said into consideration. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about aproaching the Directive, but I'm thinking about it. A lot of you have expressed that you don't think even dealing with the baselines in this manner is appropriate behavior for our kind, I've considered that too. I may see your point of view, good points all of them, but none the less, For me to stop is denying myself what I am. I am the physical embodiment of everytning they hold sacred and there is nothing I can do about that. I'm certainly not going to spend the rest of my life dormed down, I haven't even learned how to do that. I think I'll be seeing Lucious tonight and he's a detective genius, so hopefully he'll have some info about Tashiki, so with that hopefully some more answers.

But once again, thanks, even to those of you who are just a bunch of pretentious bastards.

Well, Tashiki, my "chosen" or whatever you want to call him turned up. He came to my home and said he was never missing. I'm having trouble believing this. He claims that he just lost his phone, and that he was just very busy rallying people on the smaller islands. Am I just being paranoid? Something with his reappearance just doesn't sit well.

No, I wouldn't say that you're being paranoid. Do you know any talented Telepaths? Give them a chance to go tip toeing through your Chosen One's noggin and you should be able to clear up what happened to him in the interim. I really mean a talented one, faked memories can be especially convincing.

On another note, I find it interesting that despite their public image as bunglers that everybody on this forum seem to have a healthy respect for the Directive. Now, I have had some personel experience with them that dissuaded me of their false face, have all of you? Just curious.

The biggest people crowing over the Directives ineptatuide is Utopia. Imagine that. They may be a boring, run-of-the-mill, intelligence gathering service, but those are the ones you have to watch out for. Unlike Utopia, they don't plan to overwhelm you with firepower. Instead, they will hit you at your weakest moment, when you least expect it.

• 4 weeks later...

So sweet of you to ask. Nothing has really worked itself out, it's just that because of my association with one Lucious Clay. Other problems have arisen.

So I guess that attention has been diverted from the situation with my worshipers for the time being. I am still concerned about Tashiki, but for now, I'm more in trouble for having the friends I keep than for my own activites.